Contest: Write 30 000 words in 30 days

Blipo

Judges selected. Judges will be asked to rate stories on a 0-3 scale, in the categories of effort (the story idea itself), sucklacking (use of proper spelling, grammar, and basic formatting), unputdownableness (how interesting the story is), and epic (overall quality).

30k in 30 days

Do you have imagination?

Can you turn that imagination into literature?

Can you create 30 000 words of literature?

Can you do it in 30 days?

Do you want $50 CAD?

That's right. In a fit of foolishness, I am offering hard, cold cash for the best 30k-word original content the OoC & TIF can cough up. Submit your works by email to [email protected], formatted in .odt, .doc, .rtf, or .txt.

Contest deadline is August 17, noon PST. (I'll be out when this time is reached, so you have until I check my emails, which could be 8-20 hours after the deadline. Submissions will be accepted if they're late, but before I checked.)

Minimum 30 000 words.

Maximum 30 001 words.

Fiction only.

Updated: Traditional book style - as opposed to poetry or a play.

No fanfics.

NO fanfics!

Must be submitted as an email attachment - [email protected].

Email subject must be 30k in 30 days.

Email body must contain TIF/OoC username.

Entries will be confirmed by forum PM.

Entries are disqualified if there is any belief they were created before the contest opening.

Updated: Entrants must have joined the forum before this date.

Winning entries will be announced by September 1.

Winning entries will be decided by a to-be-selected panel of judges from the OoC and TIF.

Winning entries will be displayed in this post.

Prizes will be awarded by September 31.

First prize is $50.

Second prize is $10.

???

Profit!

You have 30 days. Go.

withdrawge9.png

tek0705042a6479ro0.pngblipo1cd.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh fun! I'll definitely have a shot, but jeez, 30,000 words?! Are you sure you don't want to make it less? Such a massive task will almost definitely put people off...

A short version of NaNoWriMo, but with monies. I like it :P

Exactly what I was thinking of. I got the idea from an xkcd fora thread on summer boredom.

Oooh fun! I'll definitely have a shot, but jeez, 30,000 words?! Are you sure you don't want to make it less? Such a massive task will almost definitely put people off...

1000 words a day. If you're awake 16 hours a day, that's just over 60 words an hour. One word a minute.

When you break it down it's not so bad.

A short version of NaNoWriMo, but with monies. I like it :P

Exactly what I was thinking of. I got the idea from an xkcd fora thread on summer boredom.

1000 words a day. If you're awake 16 hours a day, that's just over 60 words an hour. One word a minute.

Like I said, I'll definitely have a go, but I think you'd get alot more entries if it was less than that. Quite a few are probably going on holiday soon, after all its nearly August. Anyway, not my place to say, it's your comp! I better get started :D

ya im sure people will work 16 hours a day a whole month

Why even try with that idiot? Honestly, there is no point whatsoever. I'd get better replies if I argued with a tree stump.

No, I'm saying if you're awake an average length of time, you need to write one word a minute. Practically, you can write 1000 words in under an hour.

No, I'm saying if you're awake an average length of time, you need to write one word a minute. Practically, you can write 1000 words in under an hour.

Well yeah but lol people are lazy (including me. I'm not writing 16 hours a day, and I'm spending 2 weeks in a different country this month...) It's all very well saying 'you can write 1000 words an hour' but there's alot of planning and thinking involved, they have to be the right words. All I'm saying is if you want a people to enter, you need to make it a smaller task.

Edit - sorry, that sounded horrible. :oops: I'm not trying to criticise just being practical

Well yeah but lol people are lazy (including me. I'm not writing 16 hours a day, and I'm spending 2 weeks in a different country this month...) It's all very well saying 'you can write 1000 words an hour' but there's alot of planning and thinking involved, they have to be the right words. All I'm saying is if you want a people to enter, you need to make it a smaller task.

Edit - sorry, that sounded horrible. :oops: I'm not trying to criticise just being practical

I guess some people are going to miss out, then. This is $50 we're talking about here, I want some decent, lengthy fiction. Go look up NaNoWriMo.

Entries are disqualified if there is any belief they were created before the contest opening.

I randomly write down ideas/beginnings of stories when they pop into my head, so I already have about 600 words written down somewhere that I was going to work with. Would that be enough to conflict with your rule?

I randomly write down ideas/beginnings of stories when they pop into my head, so I already have about 600 words written down somewhere that I was going to work with. Would that be enough to conflict with your rule?

I'll let those kind of things slide. Majority new content, let's say. >90%.

Hmm, sounds like a bit much but I think I can make it. But to clarify, what type of literature are you looking for? Traditional books, plays, etc?

Just to give an idea to anybody who is intrested, I've written a 13K word summary before and it was 20 pages. My guess would be around 40-45 pages for this contest.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

30,000 isn't that bad, if you go by my method of counting words(numchars/5) then I write about 20k words a day.

So... How exactly are you going to calculate the number of words? Different versions of word will give a different count, and I know that my copy of open office never matches the number of words in microsoft office.

~M

Hmm, sounds like a bit much but I think I can make it. But to clarify, what type of literature are you looking for? Traditional books, plays, etc?

Just to give an idea to anybody who is intrested, I've written a 13K word summary before and it was 20 pages. My guess would be around 40-45 pages for this contest.

I guess I mean 'traditional book'. : P I'll add that to the top post.

This page gives 25k-150k words as 100 - 600 pages. You can expect that in MS Word you'll get a considerable number more words per page than an average hardcover book, so maybe 80-90 pages is more accurate.

30,000 isn't that bad, if you go by my method of counting words(numchars/5) then I write about 20k words a day.

So... How exactly are you going to calculate the number of words? Different versions of word will give a different count, and I know that my copy of open office never matches the number of words in microsoft office.

Word counting will be done with a program written in Python.

I might give this a shot. Then again, kinda heaped with reading for school next year, so might not. I can write 30k words but I dunno if I'll be able to keep to one idea that long. Maybe I'll pull a Bulwer-Lytton. :lol:

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Contest deadline is August 17, noon PST.

What's PST and what is that in BST?

Hm. I need something to do over the summer. (Or at least what's left of it) This could be it... :-k

Though I really doubt I could finish it that quickly, if at all. Could be worth a try...

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I guess I mean 'traditional book'. : P I'll add that to the top post.

Awww...unfortunately that's my weak point in writing. Oh well, good luck to the contestants!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

wow blipo havent seen you in a while.

well. I could do with an excuse to flex my creative gland. If I still have the motivation for this when I get up tommorow then I'll start on it immediately.

Tk5SF.png

Word counting will be done with a program written in Python.

So... How does the script calculate it?

Take out the symbols, every block of letters separated by a space is a word.

wow blipo havent seen you in a while.

well. I could do with an excuse to flex my creative gland. If I still have the motivation for this when I get up tommorow then I'll start on it immediately.

Yeah. Join a forum, be a noob, shape up, become a demi-troll, leave, come back with $50 up for grabs. Speaking of which, the prize will go out via PayPal, so set up an account if you're entering.

you should make the accepted word count a bit bigger, say maybe 29000-31000 instead of 30k-30001, as it would be hard to end a good stor on an exact amount like that. its a bit too rigid

also, i may enter if i think of a good plot

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Fun stuff, I'm in. I was already thinking of starting to write again this summer and I have a few story ideas in my mind.

Edit: I agree with walka92 about the accepted word count. Rigidity kills creativity, writing 500-word *precisely 500* essays for school has taught me that.

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg