Today...

Leoo

I make the worst jokes.

aEXM7aZ.gif

ha ha ha... ha...

or should I say he he he...?

So a blue shell, a lightning bolt, and a starman walk into a bar. The bartender asks, "What is this, the last lap?" GET IT???

Looking good man, I love the puns. Have you ever made an RPGmaker-type game? Or is it too cookie-cutter for your taste?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I really don't understand why some people are so shitty about gender stuff.

When someone sees my dog and ask what his name is I say, "Her name is Diva." and that's that.

They don't double down after being corrected, or insist that she "looks like a male." They don't start talking about genitals, or chromosomes, or reproductive capacity. Why is it such a problem when we're talking about a person?

because dogs and humans have different expectations and rights

Yeah, but isn't it bizarre that it's nothing to use the right pronouns for the dog that couldn't care less, while using the right pronouns for a fellow human is a hill some people would die on?

I don't think there's anything bizarre about people not having differing opinions on a subject about which there is no controversy

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I mean they probably would do the same thing with dogs except dogs don't have a very large degree of sexual dimorphism so they probably don't even notice. I'd imagine if it was someone who knew your dog like a family member or neighbor and also is against preferred pronoun usage they would probably make a big deal about it too.

As for why someone won't do some small courtesy such as use someones requested pronouns it really comes down to a difference in base values regarding what it means to have a gender identity.

And I think its important for either side to understand what the other is asking for without negative judgement:

- The person who is against pronoun usage should understand that people who want to be called different pronouns have a different idea of what gender means than they do. That they see the role as a description of itself and not a description of chromosomes. They are saying their intention through behavior and want you to acknowledge the behavior.

- The person is dealing with someone won't use preferred pronouns should understand that asking someone to budge there forces them to go against what they believe gender means. And if this meaning is a big deal to them your asking them not to do a small courtesy but to give up something they care about

I understand, but in academia and medicine, the term gender has been divorced from sex since the early 1900s. Gender in language serves a social role and ergo it should be judged by the social idea of gender. For example, what about languages that refer to objects by genders instead of being gender neutral, like Spanish? Is anyone actually arguing about the gender of a table, or chair, or car?

In my case, I'm physically a man, and I don't want to change that, but my role in society does not reflect any socially acceptable male role, thus it's not exactly accurate to refer to me by male pronouns or female pronouns since I don't consider myself either. However, even more specific to me, I really don't care if I'm referred to as he, she, or they so long as it's not done in a derogatory way.

From experience, and I've met a lot of non-cis peeps going to Jacks Tap and so on, someone who identifies as male presents as male and vice versa; so it's not like it's not like you''re going to easily forget what their preferred pronouns are. There's always exceptions, and there are those who take it too far (wanting made-up words as pronouns, for example), but they aren't representative of non-cis as a whole.

ozXHe7P.png

I think it only becomes problematic linguistically when an assumption is made about a person who is going out of their way to appear non-binary. If you want to be referred to as male or female, it may help your case to appear as one of those genders. Hell, even if you were a male by sex, I'd refer to you as "her" if you made it clear enough that that was what you wanted. That communication could be verbal or non verbal as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I don't think there's anything bizarre about people not having differing opinions on a subject about which there is no controversy

I'm not sure I follow.

Unless there's a significant population of dogs who identify as a gender not matching their biological sex, I don't know why you'd find it surprising no one seems care about their pronouns

polvCwJ.gif

Unless there's a significant population of dogs who identify as a gender not matching their biological sex, I don't know why you'd find it surprising no one seems care about their pronouns

That's not the surprising part at all, but I think you knew that.

The surprising part is that, as easy as it is to use the right pronouns after being corrected, some people refuse to.

This was your original post:

When someone sees my dog and ask what his name is I say, "Her name is Diva." and that's that.

They don't double down after being corrected, or insist that she "looks like a male." They don't start talking about genitals, or chromosomes, or reproductive capacity. Why is it such a problem when we're talking about a person?

I'm addressing what I think is a pretty ridiculous false-equivalence. You ought to know exactly why people behave differently with dogs; because there is no meaningful distinction between gender and biological sex.

The surprising part is that, as easy as it is to use the right pronouns after being corrected, some people refuse to.

Just because something is easy to you doesn't mean it's easy to others. You're essentially asking people to ignore every biological instinct they have, and years of specific social conditioning, in the interest of politeness. Clearly not being an [wagon] deliberately is a good thing, but it's not like you're asking someone to call you by a nickname.

polvCwJ.gif

Ultimately, Nyoshut, comparing trans people with animals was a poor argument strategy. I appreciate what you were doing, but it's an inaccurate comparison on the one side, and an uncomfortable one on the other.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

5EcQkvc.gif

I added the first actual enemy... It is going to be aggressive unless you have a copper item (Anyone have any idea for a funny copper item? The tin item is going to be a tin can.). There's going to be a tin skelemental as well.

Next to add the drop mechanism. They will drop copper & tin flakes commonly which are stackable, smeltable items. They also have a chance of dropping low-level bronze armor rarely, and slightly higher chance of dropping noted tin/copper ores or bars.

ozXHe7P.png

5EcQkvc.gif

I added the first actual enemy... It is going to be aggressive unless you have a copper item (Anyone have any idea for a funny copper item? The tin item is going to be a tin can.). There's going to be a tin skelemental as well.

Next to add the drop mechanism. They will drop copper & tin flakes commonly which are stackable, smeltable items. They also have a chance of dropping low-level bronze armor rarely, and slightly higher chance of dropping noted tin/copper ores or bars.

A copper badge in this shape:

[hide]quickly-cop-badges-pictures-love-police-[/hide]

Vary on this for more or less subtlety as you desire.

• Like 1

Damn i was going to make that joke, but you beat me to it

• Like 1

I had my first day at work today. I thought it would be fine to walk over at a temperature of 75 in the morning, but apparently the humidity was more than I thought and my shirt was wet by the time I got there. Fortunately it dried out before too long, but walking back when it was still low 90s was not a barrel of laughs either. I guess I'll pack a change of shirt and a towel for tomorrow, and just change in the bathroom before I go in.

Other than that it was pretty cool, spent some time doing HR stuff and meeting the other people again. I'm going to be working on ants and applications of their biological systems for clustering in regard to some other applications.

• Like 3

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Damn i was going to make that joke, but you beat me to it

I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to come up with a joke where I used "beat" as in like "working the beat" but I couldn't come up with anything.

There was a period of like a year in my life where any time I wanted to come up with a joke like above, I could, but the magic disappeared at some point and I wish I could bring it back.

I'll go with a comically oversized police badge neck slot item.

You'll get mentioned as a comment on the item in the GameDB! Yay :P.

That's okay, I'm not really worried about credit for a mediocre at best pun. Especially since someone else had the exact same pun like 5 minutes later

Turns out, omaha doesn't have a staples. It has a staples distribution center, but no retail store.

That was an obnoxious 15 minute drive.

I told my colleague at work that I thought it would hit 100 today. And guess what, the high was *exactly* 100...

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I once drove 40 minutes to a restaurant to find out that it was actually the HQ, and not a place you could eat. Was sad.

Just because something is easy to you doesn't mean it's easy to others. You're essentially asking people to ignore every biological instinct they have, and years of specific social conditioning, in the interest of politeness. Clearly not being an [wagon] deliberately is a good thing, but it's not like you're asking someone to call you by a nickname.

I feel like the presumption is, if you thought the request had merit, you would at least make an effort to honour it.

I expect that most people understand that mistakes will be made, and if not, that's their problem, not yours. It's sort of like making an effort to learn how to pronounce an unusual name. I'm game to try and learn anyone's name, as long as they understand that their language might contain sounds I can't make*. If it turns out I can't say their name, they can either give me a nickname to use, or put up with me saying their name wrong, but I'll let them choose.

Now, I realise this isn't always a fair presumption to make. Just like someone might not want to say a foreign name because they're self conscious about getting it wrong, someone may very well feel uncomfortable honouring a request to use specific pronouns for reasons that don't involve not believing in separate biological and psychological gender. I don't know what that reason would be, exactly, but I'm willing to believe it exists (but that's easy for me to say, because I'm not in a position to care).

That said, my observation has been that pretty much everyone would rather you at least try that not make any effort, and will assume that your ignorant or rude if you don't. That is, personal discomfort is trumped by their right/desire to control how they are referred to.

*I had a South Korean friend in University who tried to teach me a few words in Korean, and some words I would hear totally different on subsequent repetitions. As best as I can tell, it's my brain trying to make sense of sounds I'm not familiar with, and translating them into a best guess sound I know. Sadly, this means I can't actually hear some of the sounds she made for what they really were, let along duplicate them.

I do really well with French, and pretty well with German and Russian, though I need to hear words more slowly than in French. My Parisian housemate complimented me on my French parroting (and it is parroting. If I actually spoke French to her, it would be in my own accent, which is 'east coast English speaker who can't speak Quebecois').

You guys can't pronounce my real first name. Haven't met anyone who isn't Estonian or a Finn who could pronounce it right.

If anyone takes that as a challenge, I think my Skype is up on my profile.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

It's like Sack of Pretzels or something, right?

• Like 2

Yeah, Scandinavian languages aren't the easiest to deal with. The...sound profile (?) is very different. Really, anything that doesn't have Germanic or Latin roots is likely to be an issue for mono lingual English speakers (or even multi-lingual people who only speak languages with Germanic or Latin roots). Hawaiian is pretty good though. When I was in Hawaii, the map we had included a pronunciation index. Written Hawaiian is quite strait forward, but the spelling rules are quite different and the words tend to be long. I think the idea of the guide was that if you got lost, you would be able to get close enough to a correct pronunciation for locals to understand where you are trying to go.

Come to think of it, there are a few places that should probably have a pronunciation key on local maps...if anyone still used maps.