Today...

Leoo

So I'll be moving soon and one of the lovely things to take care of is internet. It appears I have my choice of Cox, Comcast, and Verizon (and not sure if Verizon offers Fios there so it may be out). I have heard that I'm better off buying my own router as opposed to paying for whatever they want to sell me. Should I do so and any recommendations? Probably keeping ping lowest and having good reliability would be the highest priority - getting every last mb of speed out of it not as much.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

No recommendations, but if you go with Comcast, you should 100% buy your own modem. 

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I've had friends and family who weren't allowed to bring their own modem, and had to rent them for the entire duration of their time with that company.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

It looks like Comcast is the only game in town. They also ask if I want to rent a modem or use my own, so that would seem to be permissible.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Yeah. I think that if you rent one from them, they have to come to your place to install it. If you use your own, you can just do it yourself. At least that was the way it worked at my girlfriends apartment.

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

They say they will send a set-up kit for $15 in the mail and I can set it up myself. Not sure if it's a good idea to rent theirs as a backup/if I can just send it back after a week and not pay much, or if they will throw a lot of other charges in there. Otherwise if the one I buy doesn't work somehow, it's wait another week for internet access...

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I don't think I mentioned this last week but after waiting many many long years, I finally started playing Skyrim. It's a huge game

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

They say they will send a set-up kit for $15 in the mail and I can set it up myself. Not sure if it's a good idea to rent theirs as a backup/if I can just send it back after a week and not pay much, or if they will throw a lot of other charges in there. Otherwise if the one I buy doesn't work somehow, it's wait another week for internet access...

Don't rent a modem. The monthly rental fee after a year is about as much money if not a bit more as a super solid modem and router would end up, except then after that you have to keep paying for it. Just a waste of money.

Just had to deal with this, got this router and this modem and I've been pretty happy with them, get my full 150mbps even 2 stories up from where the modem is and can balance as many devices as my roommate and I use without a problem. You could probably get by with cheaper stuff too, I just wanted to future proof a bit cause I figured I'd be paying about that much for a year of rental anyways and didn't want to deal with deadzones with how many stories my current apartment is.

• Like 1

You don't even need a setup kit. Are you moving into an apartment? You literally just screw a coaxial cable into the wall then to your router and you're done.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

Don't rent a modem. The monthly rental fee after a year is about as much money if not a bit more as a super solid modem and router would end up, except then after that you have to keep paying for it. Just a waste of money.

Just had to deal with this, got this router and this modem and I've been pretty happy with them, get my full 150mbps even 2 stories up from where the modem is and can balance as many devices as my roommate and I use without a problem. You could probably get by with cheaper stuff too, I just wanted to future proof a bit cause I figured I'd be paying about that much for a year of rental anyways and didn't want to deal with deadzones with how many stories my current apartment is.

Ah so I need to get both a router and modem for it to work? I guess the internet company's "box" is both combined in one thing. Will it be a major hassle to get it working?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Nope.

And most routers should function as a modem aswell, at least as long as you have a 21st century connection.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Wow work sucked last night. Not only was I running on 4 hours of sleep, a few energy drinks, and single slice of pizza, we got slammed hard. We closed at 10:00 pm but didn't get out of there until 11:00 pm because of go-backs, blocking, and cleaning. A coworker had to drive me home because I was so tired. I fell asleep in less than 5 minutes...

And today I'm going shopping for a wig. 8) I'm so excited!

ozXHe7P.png

Thanks all for the help. We'll have to hope for the best..

Next thinking about getting food arranged since I won't have a car. I looked up Instacart but that was a lot of sticker shock...tried Walmart but then it says undeliverable to my new address. I guess I can just walk to the closest supermarket a mile away and buy the nonperishables on Walmart and other sites...

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Wig shopping didn't go as planned, oh well!

I'll finish the FSE website tonight so that's good! Just have some admin stuff left pending the school after. Wee, ~30 hours so far. A security audit / QA + final changes should push that right up to ~40 hours. I'm good at estimates. :shades: Half is going towards my car, the rest to savings. That plus my student grants means we'll have ~1.5 months of expenses in savings by the end of the September. And the car should be paid off by April as planned!

ozXHe7P.png

Ah so I need to get both a router and modem for it to work? I guess the internet company's "box" is both combined in one thing. Will it be a major hassle to get it working?

Yeah you need both. Practically, the modem connects to the cable lines via a coaxial cable and retrieves an internet connection and has the ports you can use to connect to it (Ethernet ports, etc). The router connects to your modem and allows you to access that internet connection wirelessly. The things that the cable companies rent are generally a combined all-in-one router and modem. It shouldn't be too bad to get working though, the instructions for these things are generally pretty simple, just took me about 30 minutes or so to get comcast activated and the router and modem working when I had to do it.

And yeah I feel you on the grocery struggle, the only grocery store within a reasonable walk from my new apartment is one of those super bougie co-ops where everything is organic and costs twice as much as it should (lol a pound of ground beef is $9 and a pack of sliced cheese is $7). like its literally cheaper to just go out for dinner than to try to cook anything from there most of the time. Trying to figure out an easy logistic way to get to a more normal grocery store but the nearest one is a bit over a mile away which will make walking there a pain in the ass, especially in the winter. Was planning on getting a car which would make this a lot easier but I just found out my apartment building won't actually let me rent a parking spot, so I have to figure out street parking and hope my shit doesn't get broken into (which it will as it happens to basically all of my friends who have to street park here). Ugh. Miss living next door to a grocery store at my old place so bad

I ate so many beans the first year I moved out of my parents place

We don't really have beans. And if we do, they are stupid expensive.

My closest grocery store is 40 km's or about 25 miles away... Good thing we have a tower fridge and a chest freezer, otherwise would be completely [bleep]ed.

For perspective, I drove 3000 km's or 2000 miles in 6 days leading to past Tuesday. And about 200 km's or 120 miles a day since. Good thing we have Volvo diesel wagon, which sips about 4 and a half litres of fuel per 100 k's, otherwise we'd be paying our asses off with fuel for 2 bucks a litre here.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Just a vent post really, disclaimer to start it off.

Have/had a choice of schools for two different programs. Ones a two year, continuation (I guess), from my college to University to get my degree and then hopefully continue on which doesn't really offer any benefits careerwise aside from the degree and ability to continue on. The other is another year at college to become an advanced care paramedic which is a direct career advancement.

I decided on the degree a while ago when I wasn't accepted to the ACP program. Got accepted to ACP earlier this month and kind of jumped on and my parents were kinda pushing that way and happy of the choice. Had the time to think again and realised I want to do the degree and continue on hopefully to Med School. Variety of reasons but mainly coming down to that, and can tell my parents are disappointed, maybe not the right word, and think I should do the other.

I know I have to make my own choices but its hard to know my parents, while still supportive of my decision, think its the wrong choice. Guess its one of those growing up moments but it's still a hard one.

Just a vent post really, disclaimer to start it off.

Have/had a choice of schools for two different programs. Ones a two year, continuation (I guess), from my college to University to get my degree and then hopefully continue on which doesn't really offer any benefits careerwise aside from the degree and ability to continue on. The other is another year at college to become an advanced care paramedic which is a direct career advancement.

I decided on the degree a while ago when I wasn't accepted to the ACP program. Got accepted to ACP earlier this month and kind of jumped on and my parents were kinda pushing that way and happy of the choice. Had the time to think again and realised I want to do the degree and continue on hopefully to Med School. Variety of reasons but mainly coming down to that, and can tell my parents are disappointed, maybe not the right word, and think I should do the other.

I know I have to make my own choices but its hard to know my parents, while still supportive of my decision, think its the wrong choice. Guess its one of those growing up moments but it's still a hard one.

All I can say is that you have to do what you think is right...not everyone will agree, but that's why it's your life

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

At the end of the day you only have to go to bed with your own thoughts, not the thoughts of others. Do whatever makes you happiest.

Also, strange to think of beans as expensive. Their like 60 cents a can here, a can being a meals worth.

Can't get them for under 3 euros here, which is like 4.50 bucks?

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc