Today...

Leoo

Anyway, I forgot to mention that last night I did watch Return to Oz with my family. YES!!!

I think maybe this weekend, we'll watch the Sword in the Stone, and possibly Bedknobs and Broomsticks as well. Tbh, Bedknobs and Broomsticks is hands down my favorite Disney film of all time (I'm not counting films that Disney bought, since apparently they bought RHPS...lolwat).

disney-now-owns-fox-fox-owns-rocky-horro

#RemoveSilverhawkBootsFromRS #RSOF

That is heartening to read, and I agree with everything you've posted here, especially the "some good points, but there are much better vehicles" part.

Idk that we'll ever see see eye to eye on, as Ring described it, "radical personal responsibility", but I'm glad to hear where you've ended up, at least.

So I do subscribe to 'racial personal responsibility' in the sense that there is always a move we can do to improve some aspect of our lives we dislike.

This isn't to diminish that some people really will have a harder time than others no matter what and depending on the metaphor here systemic barriers can prevent people from doing things entirely.

But the reason why this is so useful as an antidote to learned helplessness is because people really underestimate how much agency they have in life.

I'd be curious where you feel this falls flat though

When a system is broken, you have two options: work around the system, or fix the system. Sometimes you can do both at the same time, but not always, and even when you can, it's not a failing to just want the system to work instead of taking the risk of going around it.

Plus, like, it's just a very individualistic mindset, and we would be better off as a society if we were more community minded. Collective action is our most powerful asset against capitalist exploitation, after all.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Yeah on the grand issues of workers rights, corporate monopolies, concentration camps in china, or climate change its not an individual effort. 

When I say individual responsibility I mean recognize what you can do to improve your life as best as you can. 

Use solar, plant more trees, tax the rich, tax churches, & vote idiots out of office who disagree.

I have nothing against some individual boomers, or even pre-boomer, Silent Generation members. But ppl tend to look at groups and generalize.

Ok, so if you look at some of the household appliances in terms of wattage, fridges, washers & dryers, microwaves, ect. are the most power hungry. Most Individuals from the Silent Generation, and even Boomers, grew up using ice boxes, washing their clothes by hand, & drying their clothes on clotheslines. The way they had to live was less detrimental to the environment than ppl who use "luxury" household appliances ran on non-green energy sources (And yes, there are also a lot of Boomers & pre-Boomers who use those appliances today).

Ofc, there are ppl who are too poor to afford something like a washer & dryer, but because of things like that, the poor actually tend to have a lower carbon footprint.

If ppl are wealthy enough to want to save their money & buy power-hungry appliances, then certainly they can take the individual responsibility to save their money to buy/rent some kind of green energy source to run said appliances. 

However, things would be a whole lot simpler if the gov't would just tax tf out of the rich & any "non-profit" religious organizations (that are not exactly non-profit anyway), shut down the fossil fuel industry altogether, & utilized green energy sources for the power grid system.

Xennial.

Btw, I'm going to be a Xennial from now on, just so this noob gets tf out of my generation:

BlSJbxk.png

lol MMG & his tank. The downfall of RS right there.

cxVCfNU.gif

I know she's gone but I have to nerd out and clarify that is is not a tank. APC of some sort, but definitely not a tank.

I think if it seems like a career you'll enjoy better then switching over is a good idea. Just be aware of doing it for the money.

Right now an enormous amount of investment is being funneled into software startups, some of which are just selling air with a cool app to display it like wework. Others like uber can only ever hope to be profitable if they establish a monopoly or near enough one. But on the whole most of these are regular businesses who have eccentric startup CEOs with the Steve Jobs persona and language, and a slight layer of software that makes investors believe its a tech company. 

Anyways I think most of the things that need to be monopolies to work will either eventually become them or fall apart, and while thats uncertain there will be lots of money flowing into tech companies so that investors can strike gold on being part of the one that does make it big.

And down the line I think investors will be wary of the tech startup fad thats big right now which means software engineer wages that are inflated by Silicon Valley will start to decline, since I believe the whole economy has to pay software engineers more to prevent them from hopping ship and moving to the bay area. 

Not that the tech scene will ever really die, I read about database admins making 200k a year during the .com boom and here we are again in 2019. But be aware of where you want to specialize and the expected trajectory of your career. 

I'm not really doing it for the money-- my current career in sales/real estate pays very well and has a ton of freedom which will be difficult to replace, but I don't really want to be working in sales/real estate for the rest of my life since it's not something that I'm naturally into. I'm mostly switching to computer science since I feel like I'm more naturally inclined towards it. My friends/family always told me that it would be a good fit for me and a lot of women I meet from online dating are surprised that I don't work in that industry lol

77yLQy8.png

Went clothes shopping yesterday, for work clothes, as the day I'm planning to come out at work is creeping pretty close. For most of my life, shopping for gender affirming clothes offline was incredibly panic inducing, but ever since starting HRT, it's gotten a lot easier. Leading up to yesterday, when instead of having my traditional "oh god people are looking at me like I'm a pervert!" freakout, I just had a "theres too many choices and I don't know what I'm looking for!!" freakout, which is how most of my clothes shopping for my entire life has gone.

So that's progress. Now if only, one of the million times I describe executive dysfunction to my therapist, she would recognize it and tell me how to fix it, I could get rid of that problem too :P

• Like 2

I've heard making checklists and verbally going through them periodically can help alleviate executive dysfunction

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I have 8 different checklists in my notes app. Some of the items in those checklists are "make checklists for x"

It's not really an effective strategy for me, but it's better than nothing.

Had my first official dance performance. We had to perform for a sold out crowd at one of the most prestigious venues of the country. Even I, a guy familiar with stages had my nerves give up a bit and thus I went a bit too quick at times and lost the rhythm.

But in general, it went pretty fine, I think.

The afterparty went also mighty fine. Got a hangover next morning though.

As the performance was the event I have waited for months for, I am feeling now kinda... empty. Exhausted. Depressurized. Tired.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

its never too late to change careers or job focuses

when i decided to start offering mouth stuff, instead of just hand stuff, it opened up a hole realm of opportunities for me

• Like 1

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

Right, but if the underlying problem (as I suspect) is executive dysfunction, then it's not a matter of remembering to do things. It's a matter of actually starting them, or working on them. I've heard it described as an invisible wall that prevents you from acting. It's not 100% on my experience, but the closest I have seen? I looked for like 20 minutes for a comic I saw once that did a really good job describing it, but it's lost to the ether of social media now.

I can (and do) create space in my life to do things, but actually filling that space with action is very hard, in a way I suspect is atypical. Whether it's ADHD? That's something I would like my therapist to tell me, unprompted, so that it's not me putting that idea in her head. That's maybe not the right way to go about it, but it's what I'm trying.

True executive dysfunction is a little tougher than generic lack if motivation. Executive dysfunction is still having the motivation but the inability to utilize it. Like say you want to make a pizza for dinner.

You can drive to the store (probably also difficult but let's skip that). You get to the store and you're excited about pizza. But now you don't know what cheese you want to use. Or what sauce. And everything comes in different sizes and shapes. Is it wasteful to have too much oregano? Do you buy organic or whole grain dough? Do you have a rolling pin? And then you realize you preheated the oven. Or did You? You panic and go home. The oven light was on, but not the oven. There was already flour all over the counter. You were fully motivated to make a pizza. But couldn't.

• Like 1

Perhaps a better example. Imagine your brain is a record and your train of thought is a song. And a complex task is an album. Executive dysfunction is a faulty needle that plays the first minute or so of track 1 just to skip to the middle of track 3 and bouncing between track 7 and 8. If you focus you can get it to play all of track 1, but it leaves you with anxiety about never being able to know how track 3 starts or how track 9 ends.

• Like 2