RIP Isaac Hayes, dead at 65

DragnFly

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar-winning soul singer Isaac Hayes who, along with Al Green, James Brown and Stevie Wonder, was one of the dominant black artists in the early 1970s, died in Memphis on Sunday, his friend and former manager, Onzie Horne, said. Hayes was 65.

Horne told Reuters that he had spoken to Hayes' wife, who confirmed that Hayes was found unconscious at his home, and rushed to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Hayes, a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, would have turned 66 on August 20.

The deep-voiced performer reached his commercial peak in 1972 when he won an Academy Award for his No. 1 hit "Theme from 'Shaft,'" an irresistibly urgent mix of wah-wah guitars and hi-hat cymbals spiced by the famous line, "They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother-/Shut your mouth!"

Long before he became a soul singer, Hayes was a hitmaker at Memphis soul label Stax Records. He collaborated with lyricist David Porter to write and produce songs for the combustible soul duo Sam and Dave, including "Soul Man" and "Hold On! I'm A Comin'."

With his shaved head, dark shades, extravagant clothing and plentiful jewelry, Hayes was groomed as a star in his own right by Stax executives. He released his debut album, the poor-selling "Presenting Isaac Hayes," in 1968. He broke through the following year with "Hot Buttered Soul," which contained just four songs but sold over a million copies.

His work on director Gordon Parks' urban crime drama "Shaft," a project he had hoped to star in, was the first of many forays into movie soundtracks. He got in front of the camera for the 1974 cult classic "Truck Turner" and had kept busy with film work ever since, recently appearing in the hip-hop drama "Hustle & Flow."

In his later years, Hayes reached a new audience by supplying the voice for Chef, the libidinous sage on the cartoon series "South Park." But he left the show a few years ago because he disagreed with its attacks on Scientology, the religious movement to which he belonged.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; Editing by Chris Wilson)

Sources:

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... 3920080810

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26125699/?GT1=43001

I felt I should edit this post, and insert the actual article here rather than just a link alone.

Sad that such a talented man has passed away. Rest In Peace, Mr. Hayes.

You're right. He's next. CRAP. NO SNAKES ON A PLANE 2.

I don't know who that is, but people need to stop dying. Seriously. Its like an entire generation of celebrities (well, mainly comedians) just decided to die.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Such a shame, I was just watching a documentary the other week that featured Isaac Hayes (it was about Stax records generally). Everybody is dying this week.

----------

CRAP. NO SNAKES ON A PLANE 2.

I hate to break it to you but even if Samuel L Jackson lives for another 50 years there probably won't be a sequel. He went on record and said he was upset that so many people online waned to contribute to the film but then in his opinion those same people didn't go to see it.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

who's gonna be the third one :ohnoes:

I swear to god if Samuel L. Jackson dies in the next 10 years I will go into my room crying my freaking eyes out.

I'll cry no matter what when mah boi Sam Jackson dies.

Shame that Bernie and Isaac died in the same week though...

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

This century has sucked. the 90's were so perfect, and in the last 2 years:

Steve Irwin

Bernie Mac

Isaac Hayes

George Carlin

Evel Kienevel

Tim Russert

President Ford

Gary Grygax

Bob Denver (that's GILLIGAN!!! :evil: )

Heath Ledger

And probably many more. Christ, what's going on?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

South Park will never ever be the same...

Didn't he stop being the Wise Chef when they critised his religion?Haha,read this in yesterdays newspapers actually,I know almost nothing behind the scenes of South Park.

Rest in Peace,Wise Chef...

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

He wasn't Chef after 2 seasons ago. Don't you remember the episode where they killed him? They used all his past voice clips to make his lines for that episode.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."