Player input is good, but so are surprises

Harakiri

So Jagex gives us a neat little poll asking us about what we want for the new Christmas Event, and what we would like for a Christmas quest. Its good that Jagex gives us input and lets us decide what we would like for a reward, and what we think would be a fun quest since most of the holiday events have been blander than a Chuck Norris joke. Looking back at all the events I have done, there were a very few enjoyable ones.

The 2005 Christmas Event for example, was a horrendous mess. It took you hours to get through what should have been a relatively simple quest. But all it was was boring, repetitive gaming.

One of my favorites was the 2007 halloween event. It was very fun and short, making it more enjoyable. That was a created on the basis of a poll. The runescape players were able to decide something, a very nice change of pace from the usual events where we were not allowed our input.

But this year, it was christmas that was a player input scenario. And upon that, we got a poll. After voting we soon find out what the christmas event is.

I think its stupid. Why would you tell us the event four months in advance, why not keep it secret, give us a surprise. I am happy with the decisions, but I ultimately think they could have kept the poll closed so no one but them could see the results. Thus, we would have a great little surprise.

Basically, I wish Jagex would not ruin the event by telling us everything about it four months in advance.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

i kinda agree with ya, surprises can be a good thing, especially when it comes to one time only events like these. they also did this with the halloween event too though i don't remember if it was quite that far in advance. maby you should try to suggest this to jagex on the forums or via a customer support query (i'd choose forums personally lol), the suspense should be held untill the month of/before the update i think

theblastmage.pngtheblastmage.png

theblastmage.png

theblastmage.png

I think it's fine now. Some gaurenteed content polls but not a lot. It's the perfect balance imo. They only give us a choice for like one/3 events a year. Which is good.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

I think the easiest thing to do is just to make the polls out where the numbers aren't viewable.

This means that there wouldn't be any "OMG NOOBS COME ON REINDEER NOW!!!!" threads, and you'd keep the surprise.

Or you can do what I do, and bin that certain memory.

Actually, now that I think of it, I can't remember anything about the poll, although that may be because my radio and several other items on my top shelf and clubbed me in the head yesterday.

Edit: I should point out that this should only pertain to guaranteed content polls detailing holiday events.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I didn't read the thread because I forgot to look at what it's gonna be (envious yet?), and since some [bleep] is gonna post it with big red letters soon just to ruin it for me I'm not gonna read into this thread again, either. But as for a bit of my input as well: very true. Actually, I think that player polls should be restricted to the debatable aspects, like replacements for the wilderness or what skills should new areas be concentrated on, etc. There is nothing to debate in the Christmas event, and whatever happens - we're all gonna do the event and most of us, with the exception of a few who might incorporate it in their outfit, will destroy it never to pick it up from Diango again.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Yeah, I can't even explain how excited I was when Construction came out. It just suddenly popped up out of nowhere. More surprises would be fun. :P

I fell out of my chair and spent the next three days bragging that I was a member.The next week I finally calmed enough to try it.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Yeah, I can't even explain how excited I was when Construction came out. It just suddenly popped up out of nowhere. More surprises would be fun. :P

I fell out of my chair and spent the next three days bragging that I was a member.The next week I finally calmed enough to try it.

Yeah I remember those days ::' Everyone were like "OMFGGGG" all over the forums :D Something which would not have happened if they told people it would be released.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Yeah some surprises really would be nice. Someone go tell some Jagex Mods. :P Knowing everything that's gonna happen to you is never fun. Construction was a great surprise. :D Didn't they say, after Hunter, that they would never tell everyone about the release of a skill after that? Or was it just the exact date? :?

Blakdragon39.png

They were probably tired of people complaining about updates, so they have the polls so that they'll at least hit the majority of players. I do agree though that surprises are always nice, so I think that would be a good resolution to still have polls, just not make the results public.

I think they told us in advance to kind of show to us that they actually take our poll inputs and listen to our opinions. Keep the crowd happy eh? I mean, who would remember the poll results months after the event took place?

The one thing that I hate about them putting this months in advance is that if you don't get the thing that you want out of it then you have all of that extra time to stew about what might have been. At least when we don't have the polls then we don't know about the other things that were scrapped before they decided on what they used and people don't have a chance to be mad about missing it.

Meridithila.png

Meridithila.png

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

First Dragon Drop 5/6/2006 -Dragon Med from Bronze Dragon :D

First Barrows Item From Chest 2/20/2007 - Verac's Brassard :D

Yeah some surprises really would be nice. Someone go tell some Jagex Mods. :P Knowing everything that's gonna happen to you is never fun. Construction was a great surprise. :D Didn't they say, after Hunter, that they would never tell everyone about the release of a skill after that? Or was it just the exact date? :?
If so then... coughsummoningcoughcough
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

I agree, RuneScape needs more surprises.

The release of Player owned houses was the best surprise ever. After that though...'we are releasing the Hunter skill this month'

Cmon I was more excited when the System Update appeared and the words 'PLAYER OWNED HOUSES!!!' (yeah in caps :P ) suddenly appeared.

Theres hardly any suprises anymore -.- Summoning could've been a good suprise, The return of pking could've been a surprise (then again..) the events should stay suprising.

Even monsters arent that surprising, compare KBD's release with GWDS and you'll see what I mean :wall:

Zaroterasu.png

"Chuck Norris doesn't dodge bullets; bullets dodge Chuck Norris."

not very bland if you ask me :roll:

Anyway, I actually liked the 05 Christmas event. Technically, I should of been able to get the yo-yo and chicken, but I had no idea what a holiday event was until about June. Then, school made me completely miss the Halloween event!! :cry: . Oh well, bottom line: 05 Christmas was my first event, so don't insult it \'

Back OT: yes, I agree; the results should be kept a secret so that Jagex knows what the players want, but we get the ncie surprise. It's probably to show in case the "players don't like the update", they know who to blame: everyone except themselves because they are the gods of runescape with their 10 mill in the bank ready to spend on barrows with only 500 total level (yes that IS possible) and they can never be wrong at anything.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg