Flag Burning.

DaN

I love the hypocrisy when some overly-patriotic person is willing to get violent towards someone else because "people died for the flag." It's like they don't get that the freedoms they're talking about include, well, not being assaulted.

So in standing up for their view of what the flag represents, they'll break those representations exactly.

Who is worse here? The guy who burns the flag and only desecrates a representation of the values in question, or the guy who actually violates the values in question?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy who burns the flag and only desecrates a representation of the values in question, or the guy who actually violates the values in question?

They guy who burns the flag is exercising those values and freedoms, he could also be celebrating them by using his freedom in this way.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

The guy who burns the flag and only desecrates a representation of the values in question, or the guy who actually violates the values in question?

They guy who burns the flag is exercising those values and freedoms, he could also be celebrating them by using his freedom in this way.

Dude, don't get us started on exercising your freedoms by burning the flag...that's just a [developmentally delayed]ed way of thinking.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Dude. What the hell. You live in America, yet you disrespect the country by burning our flag? People have died for the flag, and you're pretty much burning the people who have worked for the flag. Seriously, you have won the "National Commy Award", how do you feel?

Nobody dies for a flag. When will we get this straight? People may die for the ideals of the country the flag represents. I know that's what your getting at, but please, just say it instead of "people have died for the/that flag".

I don't know how burning a flag is somehow connected with "burning the people who have worked for the flag". Burn all the flags you want. I believe that burning a flag (if it's done in a peaceful protest of some nature) is very bluntly stating you're sick and tired of what that flag represents. Burning a flag is a cry for change. Both of my grandfathers fought in wars, and in no way do I feel like someone is disrespecting what they did by burning a flag. They are not disrespecting the past so much as they are concerned for the future.

A flag is a flag. Don't get caught up in someone lighting some cloth on fire.

Actually people have died for the actual flag itself.

That's like having died for a paper bag.

Not really. Have you ever seen the movie Glory? That wasn't an uncommon thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Harvey_Carney

Edit: Messed up on quoting.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

Listen, I am finally getting tired of your argument. I agree that you have the right to burn a flag because it is your freedom but doing it just because you can is ignorant. Im allowed to run through a city with no shirt on yelling look theres purple candy canes everywhere but I dont. If someone has a reason to burn a flag and it is a legal protest power to them but just doing it to make people mad is a true sign of whats wrong with humanity.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Maybe it's already been said (I didn't read through all the pages), but this arguement sounds somewhat similar to the Westboro Baptist Church protesting funerals. Maybe not and I'm just tired, but I think you could compare the two issues.

I agree that you have the right to burn a flag because it is your freedom but doing it just because you can is ignorant.

How? Do you even know what ignorance is?

You have problems with people doing things you disagree with, so they must automatically be wrong.

Dude, don't get us started on exercising your freedoms by burning the flag...that's just a [developmentally delayed] way of thinking.

How?

Instead of just posting your disagreement why don't you explain why its "developmentally delayed"?

Just because you don't like something doesn't automatically make it wrong.

Millions of people burn flags to celebrate.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

Maybe it's already been said (I didn't read through all the pages), but this arguement sounds somewhat similar to the Westboro Baptist Church protesting funerals. Maybe not and I'm just tired, but I think you could compare the two issues.

note--theres a small chance im thinking of the wrong church if so someone please tell me and this post gets edited

well while you can in some aspect there is a very severe difference. That church was protesting at funerals saying soldiers had died because America tolerates homosexuality. Flag burning can have a legitimate rationalization but protesting at a funeral is over the line of free speech even before the context is considered. That church is just as bad as the klan or panthers or nazis or whatever you want to cite, if they ever have the nerve to come near me im going to have some fun with smoke bombs and flash grenades.

I sense someone posting that im being a hypocrite by saying that church is wrong and that I would do some things that are illegal to stop them, lets be realistic here if you want a country of freedom you cant allow bull like funerals being disrupted.

to dan, do you really think you are somehow intelligent by burning a flag for fun? If youve noticed I agree that flag burning should be legal but anyone that is doing it for fun is just stupid.

awteno.jpg

well while you can in some aspect there is a very severe difference. That church was protesting at funerals saying soldiers had died because America tolerates homosexuality. Flag burning can have a legitimate rationalization but protesting at a funeral is over the line of free speech even before the context is considered. That church is just as bad as the klan or panthers or nazis or whatever you want to cite, if they ever have the nerve to come near me im going to have some fun with smoke bombs and flash grenades.

I sense someone posting that im being a hypocrite by saying that church is wrong and that I would do some things that are illegal to stop them, lets be realistic here if you want a country of freedom you cant allow bull like funerals being disrupted.

Protesting funerals might be a bit much, but the general anti-gay and anti-everything-except-them should be completely allowed. They may be a hate group, but it is well within their right to hate.

In comparison to flag burning (and more on topic), a person has the right to burn a flag and does not need a reason. However, one would hope that individual knows how it will affect other people's opinion of them (if that makes sense). Personally, if I saw someone burning a flag for any reason, I would think they just want attention or are being hateful unless they don't understand the symbolism behind the flag (i.e. a young child).

I agree that you have the right to burn a flag because it is your freedom but doing it just because you can is ignorant.

You have problems with people doing things you disagree with, so they must automatically be wrong.

Dude, don't get us started on exercising your freedoms by burning the flag...that's just a [developmentally delayed] way of thinking.

How?

Instead of just posting your disagreement why don't you explain why its "developmentally delayed"?

I thought it was pretty obvious and it's been said many times before. Doing something just because you can/for a reaction is a stupid and childish way to think.

TETsig.jpeg

note--theres a small chance im thinking of the wrong church if so someone please tell me and this post gets edited

Sorry, you'd be arrested and the -state whatever you'd like to site- would be just fine. They were not inducing a riot, so it was legal. Plus that would be stupid, because you'd be putting other people at risk.

to dan, do you really think you are somehow intelligent by burning a flag for fun? If youve noticed I agree that flag burning should be legal but anyone that is doing it for fun is just stupid.

Flag burning is legal. Why is it dumb for people to do it for fun? It's thier right to do so, so let them do it. It's almost like saying it's stupid for people to drink alcohol for fun. It's their right to do so, so let them.

EDIT: Fixed quote tags.

Valid_Logic.png

I had a piece of grass on my shoe, and she wiped that off. Yeah. Impressive, eh? That's probably the closest I've ever been to having sex. :P

to dan' date=' do you really think you are somehow intelligent by burning a flag for fun? If youve noticed I agree that flag burning should be legal but anyone that is doing it for fun is just stupid.[/quote']

Flag burning is legal. Why is it dumb for people to do it for fun? It's thier right to do so, so let them do it. It's almost like saying it's stupid for people to drink alcohol for fun. It's their right to do so, so let them.

You're taking it the wrong way. People drink alcohol for their own enjoyment and don't offend anyone (unless they're drunk, but that's a different story). Burning flags, however, isn't done for enjoyment and is only going to insult others.

Kicking sand in peoples' faces won't get you sent to jail, but it's just as pointless as burning a flag.

TETsig.jpeg

How?

Doesn't make it right, either. :wall:

to dan' date=' do you really think you are somehow intelligent by burning a flag for fun? If youve noticed I agree that flag burning should be legal but anyone that is doing it for fun is just stupid.[/quote']

You're taking it the wrong way. People drink alcohol for their own enjoyment and don't offend anyone (unless they're drunk, but that's a different story). Burning flags, however, isn't done for enjoyment and is only going to insult others.

Kicking sand in peoples' faces won't get you sent to jail, but it's just as pointless as burning a flag.

I can burn a flag without intending to insult anyone. I could do it for enjoyment if I wanted to anyway. Nobody can tell me what I enjoy and what I don't.

Valid_Logic.png

I had a piece of grass on my shoe, and she wiped that off. Yeah. Impressive, eh? That's probably the closest I've ever been to having sex. :P

I can burn a flag without intending to insult anyone. I could do it for enjoyment if I wanted to anyway. Nobody can tell me what I enjoy and what I don't.

Are you serious? You expect people to not be offended whenever you burn their flag?

TETsig.jpeg

Are you serious? You expect people to not be offended whenever you burn their flag?

I don't expect it. But I'm not doing it to offend. I'm doing it for the sake of doing (Hypothetically.)

Valid_Logic.png

I don't expect it. But I'm not doing it to offend. I'm doing it for the sake of doing (Hypothetically.)

That's getting back to the child's attitude. Just doing something for the sake of doing it isn't grounds to carry it out.

TETsig.jpeg

I thought it was pretty obvious and it's been said many times before. Doing something just because you can/for a reaction is a stupid and childish way to think.

Not at all, if I want to burn a flag I am well within my rights to do so, if your are offended by that then it is simply unfortunate.

However the same freedom that enables me to burn the flag also enables you to announce your disapproval.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

Not at all, if I want to burn a flag I am well within my rights to do so, if your are offended by that then it is simply unfortunate.

However the same freedom that enables me to burn the flag also enables you to announce your disapproval.

just because you can doesnt mean it isnt childish

awteno.jpg

just because you can doesnt mean it isnt childish

Celebrating free speech is not childish, having a hissy fit over a piece of cloth is.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

The real problem is when people view the flag as an embodiment of certain values and rights, then they tend to see flag burning as the rejection of their values. One of the most ironic parts of this is that in most cases, one of those rights that they care so much about is the right to free speech... So I can see why they think what they do, but I will never agree that flag burning should be banned.

It is far more childish to go berserk because someone burned a flag than it is to burn it because you feel like it.

And just because I felt like it:

flagburning.png

Free speech, and all that.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Personally I have to say that burning an American Flag is both disrespectful and under the circumstances seems like it was for mere fun. I myself am a Boyscout and worked at a scout camp over the summer where we performed a Flag Burning ceremony...and that's what it was...a ceremony, something to respect and feel pride for your country by honoring your Flag. It is to be done in a certain way, not just tossing a Flag into the fire. I'm not trying to throw punches at any other countries, or beliefs, anything like that, but a Flag is a symbol of your country and you should be proud of it, and only retire the flag if it is not fit to be flown any longer.

You may also say "but it wasn't my country's flag, so whats the big deal", and what I have to say to that is that its all about respect. If you think burning an American Flag is no big deal and its just for fun, then you sir are completely disrespecting my country, and all others who live here. And if you say to me "well you know what, here is my country's Flag, and a lighter", then you need to seriously think about what sort of respect you should have for you own country and if that's honestly how you want to treat it. And if that's the case, then I have no sympathy whatsoever for you...

I don't want anyone to think I am mad at them either, but this is the way I, and many others feel. Hopefully the American Flag can be given the respect it deserves.