Russia threatens U.S. and Poland with Nuclear Attack.

mrsmarty1

Russia threatens nuclear attack on Poland over US missile shield deal

Russia threatened a nuclear strike against Poland after a landmark deal to site American global anti-missile shields in the country.

anatoly-nogovitsyn_791154c.jpg

By Harry de Quetteville and Andrew Pierce

Last Updated: 8:41PM BST 15 Aug 2008

Col. Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn, deputy chief of the General Staff of the Russian armed forces

Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn: Russia's nuclear rethoric marks an intense new phase in the war of words over Georgia Photo: AP

Only 24 hours after the weapons agreement was signed Russia's deputy chief of staff warned Poland "is exposing itself to a strike 100 per cent".

General Anatoly Nogovitsyn said that any new US assets in Europe could come under Russian nuclear attack with his forces targeting "the allies of countries having nuclear weapons".

He told Russia's Interfax news agency: "By hosting these, Poland is making itself a target. This is 100 per cent certain. It becomes a target for attack. Such targets are destroyed as a first priority."

Russia's nuclear rhetoric marks an intense new phase in the war of words over Georgia. The Caucasus conflict has spiralled into a Cold War style confrontation between Moscow and Washington in less than a week.

The stand off between the two cold War powers was underlined by Russian president Dmitry Medvedev, who dismissed US claims that the silo is a deterrent against 'rogue states' like Iran as "a fairy tale". He told reporters at the Black Sea resort of Sochi: "The deployment of new missile defence facilities in Europe is aimed against the Russian Federation."

President George W. Bush in a brief but pointed statement earlier in the day said: "The Cold War is over Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century."

Mr Bush, who is demanding an immediate withdrawal of Russian troops from Georgia now that that a ceasefire deal has been signed, added: "Only Russia can decide whether it will now put itself back on the path of responsible nations or continue to pursue a policy that promises only confrontation and isolation,"

Russia's deteriorating relationship with the West was strained further when US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice yesterday visited Georgian capital Tbilisi and concluded a ceasefire deal with Russia. It was the highest profile gesture of American political support for Georgia's embattled government since the conflict began.

Echoing President Bush's demands for a withdrawal from Georgia, she evoked the Soviet-led invasion of Czechoslovakia 40 years ago. "Russian forces need to leave Georgia at once. This is no longer 1968,"she said.

Mikheil Saakashvili, the Georgian president, who was standing next to Miss Rice, said: "We were screaming to the world that Russia was going to do this...We are looking evil directly in the eye - this evil is very dangerous not only for us but for everybody."

Even as he was speaking a convoy of 17 Russian armoured personnel carriers was spotted advancing along the main highway to within 34 miles of the Georgian capital Tblisi, their deepest move yet inside the country.

The Foreign Office also condemned Russia. A spokesman said: "Threats such as these against our EU and Nato Allies are completely unacceptable and unhelpful, especially at the present time''.

The criticism was echoed by MPs, who warned of the potential for a major escalation in the diplomatic crisis.

But there was no word from either Gordon Brown or David Miliband, the Foreign Secretary, on the nuclear issue, who were earlier both criticised for not speaking out sooner over the situation in Georgia.

David Cameron, the Tory leader, will today seize the initiative by travel to Georgia, where he is expected to warn Russia to respect its neighbour's territorial integrity.

Poland and the United States reached the agreement, after 18 months of negotiation, on siting 10 interceptor missiles capable of destroying incoming long-range ballistic missiles. Washington says the system, which would be installed by 2012, is designed to protect the US and its allies from "rogue states" such as Iran. The threat of nuclear reprisals were motivated by Moscow's fears the missile shield makes Russia a target of the United States.

Radek Sikorski, the Polish foreign minister, told The Daily Telegraph the new US missile shield deal, and its timing, was unrelated to Georgia. "It [the deal] is a coincidence," he said. "Georgia made a dramatic backdrop to it, but the timing had nothing to do with Georgia. We have offered Russia the right to inspect at any time. It only has the capabilities we say it does, which is to say, nothing to do with Russia."

Donald Tusk, the Polish prime minister, hinted that the US had pledged to back Warsaw in the event of Russian aggression towards Poland. He said that he only agreed to host the US defence shield on the condition that the US agreed to help augment Poland's defences with Patriot missiles, which are intended to ward off any threat from Russia. "We have crossed the Rubicon," he said.

Taken from here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/2566005/Russia-threatens-nuclear-attack-on-Poland-over-US-missile-shield-deal.html

Mr_Smarty_1.png

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then I guess the missile shield is a bad idea.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Damn Ruskies!

I find it slightly ironic that only yesterday I watched Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I can't call the article crap, either. It's telegraph, which is relatively unbiased. #-o

Man, if the Russians blow us up, I'm gonna be pissed. I'm about to start high school.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Yeah, I suppose it sounds a bit more like that than an ultimatum or anything, l0l0l. However, to even bring that up on the world stage...Pretty idiotic move by Russia. I'll bet half the West's military are on standby. Three Nimitz carriers are probably heading for Siberia.

EDIT: [garden tool]-[garden tool]-hold on. Poland said we crossed the Rubicon? DAMN POLANDERS, DON'T ANTAGONIZE THE RUSKIES. >_<

Are there too many emos in Poland or something?

Reminds me of The End of the World. MOTHERLAND!

Am I supposed to joke around, or be serious? I can't tell. I guess I'll be serious and say that I hope nothing extremely bad happens...I think that includes nuking.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Russia has to threaten with Nuclear weapons because its conventional forces are pretty old. The majority of it tanks are T-72 with a few newer models. It has no 4th generation fighters and does not have stealth bomber capabilities.

I agree with l0l0lpur32.

I swear to god, Russia are going to start a world war.

I read in the Jerusalem post when i was on holiday a week or so ago, that they were negotiating with Iran selling weapons, tanks and missiles....

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

[bleep] lucky. Why is Texas covered with military bases? Plus, NASA's here. -_-

Not so funny to live up in the freezing cold tundra now, is it?

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

[bleep] lucky. Why is Texas covered with military bases? Plus, NASA's here. -_-

Not so funny to live up in the freezing cold tundra now, is it?

Actually it's still a little funny.

Also, CNN doesn't even have this as a story. >_>

Probably either because CNN is crap, or because they don't want to cause panic. Nuclear Doom isn't exactly what the world's public wants to hear.

...Or because they're too busy reporting on the Olympics or the [bleep] presidential elections.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

Probably either because CNN is crap, or because they don't want to cause panic. Nuclear Doom isn't exactly what the world's public wants to hear.

...Or because they're too busy reporting on the Olympics or the [bleep] presidential elections.

The last thing the media seems to care about is causing panic. They thrive off the panic business. When people are afraid of a global crisis, the first thing they turn to is the news. CNN would have too be pretty stupid not to realize how many viewers they'd get if they put up the story. Unless the media actually cares about the consequences of a controversial story...

Anyhoo, I knew that US involvement was a very bad idea in the beginning. Having a very large, disciplined, powerful enemy is not very useful. Why did we need the nuclear base in Poland anyway? Shouldn't someone have pointed out that Russia might just get a little worried? Saying the base was to help stop global conflicts not necessarily involving Russia doesn't help either, in Russia's eyes it seems like a blatantly obviously threat.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

^I don't suppose you realize this particular forum is called Off-Topic for a reason :wall:

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Nah, they have tons of hard-hitting news stories. Like the epidemic of how over 223,000 schoolkids have been spanked, paddled. Or the fantastic story about Roseanne slamming Angelina, Brad, AND the kids. OH THE HORROR.

Anyways, why do people think living in Canada or anywhere but the U.S. will help them not get killed if war comes? We all know how war-hungry mooses are. The only safe place is probably New Zealand. Because nobody cares.