Why bother?

sirgudi

Hi,

I really don't see why Jagex bothered to make the whole (well...99%) of the Runescape map PK area...What's the point?

I think it would be far better with just the old wilderness. All the old common pking areas would be available, there wouldn't be unbelievable amounts of obstacles to overpower range and mage and it would be basically old PKing. In a way, Jagex are making it harder for themselves to prevent RWT.

So what do you guys think? Is this just a bad attempt at luring all the old pkers that quit back in? Because i think it could turn out terribly.

Hi,

I really don't see why Jagex bothered to make the whole (well...99%) of the Runescape map PK area...What's the point?

Generations of rs players have begged for this

I think it would be far better with just the old wilderness. All the old common pking areas would be available, there wouldn't be unbelievable amounts of obstacles to overpower range and mage and it would be basically old PKing. In a way, Jagex are making it harder for themselves to prevent RWT.

I can tell you, pking in Isafdar would not be the same as old pking. There are a lot of obstacles in the old non wildy.

And I'm sure Jagex has a way to prevent rwting.

So what do you guys think? Is this just a bad attempt at luring all the old pkers that quit back in? Because i think it could turn out terribly.

I will judge the update after it comes out, thank you.

oh noes not another topic.... :roll:

That's like saying why bother improving skills... Pking used to be major part of runescape..

Wildy as it is now would be pointless and annoying, half of wildy is now lost due to BH CWars and not to mention the revs.

I think it will be fun. And it keeps us away from you skillers that moan 24/7 about pkers, if it was just going to wildy why would they bother with pvp worlds. They would just turn wildy back to the way it used to be add this new reward system. Then lets see all the skillers/tt'ers all moan even more.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

They want to deal with two issues at once. Firstly, they want to replace Wilderness PKing, but they also want to satisfy players asking for PK everywhere worlds. The dropping system they've got means that even though getting an isolated area to kill another player is easy, it still won't transfer the wealth very efficiently, far less than BH.

This isn't a bad attempt to lure PKers back in, this is a good attempt to lure PKers back in!

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Hi,

The point is to bring back the runescape classic pking everyone loved, without the chance of real world traders.

That's your opinion. If you don't want range and mage to be overpowered against you, don't go to a place with obstacles when the worlds are released, it's common sense. That's called a strategic benefit to mages and rangers who need to keep their enemies further away because of a lack of decent armor.

And they aren't making it harder to prevent RWT, considering you don't gain your enemy's drops. They're not "luring in" old pkers, they're trying to satisfy their customers, and aside from the no-looting (which a majority understand), I haven't heard much against this update.

"Because I think it could turn out terribly" That's called doomsayer speculation, it holds no water.

But do you guys think that the old PKing areas will still be used, such as Edgeville and north Varrock?

It depends on how the wilderness is structured, but I'll be pkers head towards edgeville anyway, it's their home turf after all.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I disagree with pretty much everything you have said. Firsty because I think this is a great idea that has been taken from very successful MMORPGs. Take Ultima Online(UO) for example. Up until the inclusion of "insurance" on items, UO was an amazing fusion of skilling and PVP and everyone liked it for those reasons. The old saying "with great reward comes great threat" was put to the test and I believe that most gamers liked the challenge. After UO many of games followed suit by allowing for servers that were purely PvP or PvE. Granted the population was more often than not higher on PvE servers, the games allowed for the smaller population of players that enjoyed the risk. Even now with games such as WoW we see some of the heaviest populated servers being purely PvP (Arthas anyone?). When Runescape cut this bit of gameplay out, it removed the fun it had for some players. This is not a ploy at 'luring all the old pkers that quit back in" but instead a completion of part of what makes MMORPGs fun.

Secondly and I must admit I dislike the combat system in Runescape and as such do not PvP but that is why I will only visit the PvP servers to try my hand at getting the new 'special' drops the newspost hinted at. This allievates the problem of RWT because I believe that instead of dropping your items, the pker will have a chance of receiving an item just as a player now has a chance of receiving an item when killing a regular monster. I am not sure how the death of the player will play out but, knowing Jagex's stand on RWT, I am sure that it will not be like the old wildy where the armor would simply pile up on the ground. This of course is speculation based on what I read on the newspost so it probably pointless but the way it is worded it does not allow for RWT.

And lastly the old wilderness was a place plagued by immature kids who manipulated the rules and then made you feel badly for obeying the rules. With a worldwide PvP arena, pures will no longer be the class of choice. Instead I feel as though it will allow for a more balanced PvP that the wilderness could never have attained.

What bothers me most though is I feel that many posts like this one really are not about the new update to be but instead covers for those old wilderness players to hide behind as they bicker about having their easy money taken away. In truth I think that the only reason people miss PvP is because that had manipulated the system as I described above and found a way to, as far as I am concerned, cheat their way to amass wealth. As a solo player that pretty much does everything on my own (i.e. cuts the logs I burn to level firmaking or fish the fish I use to level cooking), all I have to say to that bunch is grow up.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

And lastly the old wilderness was a place plagued by immature kids who manipulated the rules and then made you feel badly for obeying the rules. With a worldwide PvP arena, pures will no longer be the class of choice. Instead I feel as though it will allow for a more balanced PvP that the wilderness could never have attained.

It was the immature one itemers and wannabes that gave pkers the bad name. Hopefully this new system takes into account how much you are risking along with how impressive the kill and your lvl. Hopefully it will remove a few of them, as they no longer get loot and the drops would be worthless. :pray: but we wont get rid of the "You safer!11!!!" & "zomg pray nub!1!" & "veng nub!". :lol:

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Personally, I think the pking worlds could be good for other things if one is careful.

You likely wont find many people at experiments or yew trees in that scenario. \'

I rarely ever pked myself, (99% of the time i tried, i died), but I imagine that this could be an excellent update if Jagex puts it together correctly.

I was thinking, wouldnt making some of the worlds pvp mean that more skillers will be rounded up onto the non pvp worlds? So itd be harder for skillers to do such things as mine or wood cut effectively because there would be so many people all in the same worlds. So would this mean these raw materials would go way up in price?

gypsyeater.png

I was thinking, wouldnt making some of the worlds pvp mean that more skillers will be rounded up onto the non pvp worlds? So itd be harder for skillers to do such things as mine or wood cut effectively because there would be so many people all in the same worlds. So would this mean these raw materials would go way up in price?

Who said current worlds will be turned into pvp worlds? You're making assumptions based off of evidence you made up.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

tbh in these new pking worlds jagex will probably take out alot, i mean there would be no point in putting in cwars etc in those worlds so prrolly will take it out and add a nice battle ground or summat. highly doubt they will leave every quest building etc in. Waste

Let your yellow mellow.

tbh in these new pking worlds jagex will probably take out alot, i mean there would be no point in putting in cwars etc in those worlds so prrolly will take it out and add a nice battle ground or summat. highly doubt they will leave every quest building etc in. Waste

It would be easier to just leave things as they are. Removing Castle Wars, BH, etc. as well as all the quest buildings would take a lot of unnecessary effort.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

It would be easier to just leave things as they are. Removing Castle Wars, BH, etc. as well as all the quest buildings would take a lot of unnecessary effort.

And what will they put there...

No it wouldn't. If you look at it objectively, all they would have to do is remove the NPC's and portals that allow entrance into these areas. It'd be easy to put in too without conflicting with the area, just using the reasoning that the places are shut down on that world as to not get involved with the conflict.

I have the feeling Jagex will put a lot of lore into this update, to explain why certain areas and mini-games cannot be accessed and why certain spots are safe over others, and how this conflict came to be (My guess is that Zamorak will have something to do with it, from a lore point of view he couldn't be too happy about the wilderness)

Just do what they did with the duel arena. For a long time the duel arena was in f2p, but not accessible. The front door was locked shut and the NPCs were gone. That could easily translate over to the pvp worlds, and could be done in very little time.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I think an easier method would just be to disable them.

Make people unable to enter castlewars, BH, clanwars, etc. Make it so people cant start any quest or continue it. Im sure they have a centralized system for questing so it can be that hard. With minigames? Its only a few and its just a few lines of coding to disable a minigame.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

I think an easier method would just be to disable them.

Make people unable to enter castlewars, BH, clanwars, etc. Make it so people cant start any quest or continue it. Im sure they have a centralized system for questing so it can be that hard. With minigames? Its only a few and its just a few lines of coding to disable a minigame.

Yup. They'll use the same coding that stops f2p'ers from doing members stuff like starting the lost city, pickpocketing Sigmund, going into the duel arena (pre-November of last year), etc, unless they're on a regular server.

"You must be on a non-pvp world to do this action"

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Just wondering, why would they take out that kind of stuff? What would be the point?

steve.gif

Nocsyn.png