Kedai

would u die for your belief  

226 members have voted

1. 1. would u die for your belief

• yes, i'll be a matyr for my faith
    • no, i'd be too nervous
    • maybe

Well I'm actually two religions..

I'm not a complete Buddhist but I have some values and ideas from it. And with some of those ideas I made up a new religion. Darkness. Which is kinda a blending of science, Chinese beliefs, and Buddhism.

I also believe death is better then life. Since death is the only constant in life and like a yingyang death and life are opposites and balance each other out. (Yep..you guessed it my faith involves recarnation..to a certain extent..)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wont die for something you believe in why do you believe in it?

Because when you're dead, you can't enjoy life anymore. I'd rather have life with a little more trouble then no life at all.

Word.

Whats the point in dieing when your dead and cant feel anthing. Life is the best thing that ever happed. oh and dont say life is short, its the longest thing that ever happens.

Anyways, im an atheist so nothing about religion. i dont know about country though. Canada would have to be really thretend. like it would have to be taken over by something that would threaten to dystroy our way of life totaly. and what if they melt our iggloos!!! lol j/k.

Id only die for one special girl, but even then, i would have troubles because i wouldnt see her again :cry:

Whats the point on going back to nothing?

So you saved your life? Now what?

What you believe in is gone you have nothing to go back to, no country, no religion, etc.

There are things on this planet I care about far more then religion or country. Those ARE worth fighting for, but dieing?

Vmser.png

you guys keep saying "No, I'm not religious." It doesnt have to be somehting religious you're dieing for, just something you believe in strongly enough. Anything.

I would die for something I beleived in strongly enough. People's freedoms are an example... and if my country or religion is pursuing that goal then I would die for them.

Depends on the context really. I would jump in front of my family or friends to stop them being shot, but something i believe in? I'm not sure i have anything that meets that criteria.

I'm not religious, and i fail to believe that my death will ever be responsible for saving my country/the world. I mean it's hardly likely that someone will put a gun to my head and say "accept death or i will blow up England", but i suppose in that situation i would accept death.

Kirk and Lars I could handle. At the same time.

you guys keep saying "No, I'm not religious." It doesnt have to be somehting religious you're dieing for, just something you believe in strongly enough. Anything.

I would die for something I beleived in strongly enough. People's freedoms are an example... and if my country or religion is pursuing that goal then I would die for them.

K'S CHOICE

"Believe"

Bravely I look further than I see

Knowing things I know I cannot be, not now

I'm so aware of where I am, but I don't know where that is

And there's something right in front of me and I

Touch the fingers of my hand

And I wonder if it's me

Holding on and on to Theories of prosperity

Someone who can promise me

I believe in me

Tomorrow I was nothing, yesterday I'll be

Time has fooled me into thinking it's a part of me

Nothing in this room but empty space

No me, no world, no mind, no face

Touch the fingers of my hand and tell me if it's me

Holding on and on to Love, what else is real

A religion that appeals to me, oh

I believe in me

Can you turn me off for just a second, please

Turn me into something faceless, weightless, mindless, homeless

Vacuum state of peace

On and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

I believe in me

On and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

I believe in me

Wait for me, I'm nothing on my own

I'm willing to go on, but not alone, not now

I'm so aware of everything, but nothing seems for real and

As long as you're in front of me then I'll

I watch the fingers of our hands

And I'm grateful that it's me

Holding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

I believe in me

I'm willing to go on but not alone, not now

I'm so aware of everything

I tend to relativate things. I believe in myself. I know what I care about, and it might sound a bit egocentric, but when it's about life and death, I'll pick the first option.

Others DO mean alot to me. But whether you'd want to die for them or not, is a question you could only answer when it'd actually happen. It's easy to say now, but when facing it in reality...

Yet I'm not an individual lost in society. Like everyone else I DO need company, someone to talk to, someone who can listen to me, or someone who I can listen to. Just like everyone else I need some affection. That's what makes life worth living. As for that, I believe in me. The rest is to vague, really.

Sometimes you have to step out of the situation, and have a more distant look at things. It will not allways be what you want it to be, and sometimes you have to make choice between several things you don't want. It happens to everyone, and most people can deal with it. Some can't, which results in cases like suicide, or attempts to. Those people do not believe in themselves. So from that point of view, I like the lyrics of this song.

Either way, what's up with all the 'fighting' and 'dieing for' anyway? Violence is NOT a good way to solve problems of any kind.

Vmser.png

I'm a Jew, and we believe that life is more important than just about anything. So if I was in the situation of someone with a gun to my head asking if I believe in God, I would say no with no guilt involved, because that's what my religion says is allowed. Of course I would do the same if my religion said to stand up to what I believe in. I don't think anything is worth dieing for, death WILL happen, I guarantee it. No reason to speed up the process. Then religion will be pointless, as will anything else. I am not a self-centered person by any means, but that's what I believe. Regardless of faith or anything. I just don't think anything is worth dieing for if we will die anyway. As for fighting for beliefs, I don't think I would do that. Fighting is a bad way to get a message out, and I don't think war is a good solution for anything, be it terrorism or religion. The world is full of so many great minds, why not do something that would hit it where it hurts, but have it not involve killing. Just my opinion.

peterstretchfn5.gif

Nice post Nathaninch. A teacher of mine once argued that you have to be religious to lead a moral life, but that's not the case at all.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

I reamber that shoot-out in that school in CO(i think).. Where they knew this girl was religious, and the two guys asked her is she believed in God, she said yea, and they killed her...

This will probley be more common, in today's life, if someone ever asked me if i believe in God.. I'd say yes, even if have to die a sloow death..

Formly known as TheKat146.

Retired in 2003 on RSC at combat level 111 <3

Nice post Nathaninch. A teacher of mine once argued that you have to be religious to lead a moral life, but that's not the case at all.

All morality is based on a Judeo-Christian ethic (the Bible). I'd agree with your teacher. The concept of morality is only sensical when applied to religious people (there has to be an absolute reference (as found in the Bible) to compare one's actions to, as otherwise anyone could do anything, with the excuse that it conforms to their personal morality (eg. that guy in America who killed the abortion doctor thought it was a morally justified action).

I'd die for my beliefs in Christianity, but for my country I'm not so sure.

All morality is based on a Judeo-Christian ethic (the Bible). I'd agree with your teacher. The concept of morality is only sensical when applied to religious people (there has to be an absolute reference (as found in the Bible) to compare one's actions to, as otherwise anyone could do anything, with the excuse that it conforms to their personal morality (eg. that guy in America who killed the abortion doctor thought it was a morally justified action).

Disagree. Our ethics are closely connect to christianity. But which was first? I think the ethics have been around longer then christianity...

Also, I know quite a few people that don't believe in God, Allah, or whatever you want to call him/her/it. Yet these people have the same ethics.

A moral life is, imo, based on what we tend to call 'common sence'.

Vmser.png

I dont have any beliefs, what will be will be.

I wouldn't die for my country, as by country you mean government, I wouldnt die for those pen-pushers who couldnt give a rats [wagon] that they are sending hundreds to their death.

In fact, everything isnt worth dying for save family. Id die for my family.

I will fight untill death for my country, for my right to say what I want, and for the freedom I believe in.

Yeah, but that's because you're a viking. That doesn't count since you've got Valhalla.

Thats a big statement considering other cultures had a moral system like ours before the spreading of Christianity. From an non-theists view morals promote safety and happiness, rather than trying to further their Gods plan so they can keep their seat in heaven or whatever paradise. When these morals are based around a deity, anything will be moral if you believe the deity told you so, even if its at the cost of others lives or happiness.

it depends on the situation and what it is that im fighting/dieing for. Most likely if I was being held by some terrorists and they asked me if I believed in God, I'd say yes because my chances of getting out alive are slim to none. Might as well go out with a bang, and if there is a God then my bases would be covered. If there isn't then I guess im just some worm feed now. :lol:

I don't value my life so much. At least, not enough that I would sacrifice something important to me.

However, a white lie that I do believe in something I don't, or vice versa, is not that important to me. As long as I continue to believe it, I don't care what other people think I believe...

But, I would sooner die than allow a 1984-esque take-over of my thoughts. :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg