Do You Support Stem Cell Research?

Dizzle229

^

Proof doesn't enter into it. It's called faith for a reason.

I believe in God and the Bible, but as was said earlier, Church and State are supposed to be separate.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is where a religious person would claim, "there is no proof it doesnt exist!".

Ever heard of the celestial teapot? ;)

I have faith in the flying spaghetti monster. Does that make it real? Science can explain the God Meme. So don't say science and Religion are separate.

Religion is important. It keeps communities together, and you don't seem to understand the concept of FAITH. You don't really believe in a giant spaghetti monster, so it's not faith.

Stop turning this into a question of God or No God, it's way far from the point.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Religion is important. It keeps communities together

Wrong. A genetic code drilled into our brain keeps communities together. Those who worked in groups survived in ancient times, so the "cooperation gene" was passed on. Seriously, go read Dawkin's book, The God Delusion. If you can keep your "faith" after reading 500 pages of evidence against god and explanations of how the god meme came to be... well surely you'll have a spot in "heaven".

Stop turning this into a question of God or No God, it's way far from the point.

Why are most atheists pro-choice whist nearly all pro-lifers are conservative Christians?

this is where a religious person would claim, "there is no proof it doesnt exist!".

Ever heard of the celestial teapot? ;)

I have faith in the flying spaghetti monster. Does that make it real? Science can explain the God Meme. So don't say science and Religion are separate.

no, what is a celestial teapot?

also, what a surprise! i too believe in the flying spaghetti monster. i believe i have a photograph of him that validates his existence.

all hail our lord and savior, he hath been spotted.

Spaghettimonster.jpg

^

I lol'ed at that picture, but until you understand the concept of FAITH, then this argument is over. Anyway, I think we have a right to believe in God, as long as Church and State are kept seperate.

Back to the actual TOPIC.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I'm all for it, since it'll benefit the greater good. I would feel a bit guilty about it though. It is a bit of a gamble though, the fetus could've ended up as a serial killer, or the guy/gal who finds out how to grow plants and food on Mars.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Guys, I don't deny that religion has a part in it. You can talk about the religious issue here, as it's a big part of the argument. Just try to stay away from terms like "Bible-thumpers", that's what PO'ed me earlier.

Jack,I don't fully understand you're post. Supporter or non supporter?

Taking a embryo that is not going to be born/ adult stem cells = YES

Creating a baby for the sole purpose of killing it = NO

I think we have a right to believe in God

No of course not. Anyone who believes in God is obviously stupid. Atheists are just so much smarter. They can see through the hoaxes an lies in a way us normal people just can't.

Why are most atheists pro-choice whist nearly all pro-lifers are conservative Christians?

atheists are evil?

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

jackattack i cant understand if you are being sarcastic or not.

if you seriously believe that athiests are evil because they dislike religion playing a major role in our society and government, then maybe you should calm down, shut up, and re-think your post.

although, we are a cynical bunch.

Roberthree, that is probably the most ignorant post I've ever read (though not as stupid as the guy who asked how to have a flashback)

I'm done trying to argue with you. Religion is a good, healthy thing and I think that I'm a better person from it. I don't agree with their views on stem cell research, but there is nothing wrong with believing in God. The rest of your posts on the God topic will be disregarded. This is a question about stem cell research, and whether or not Goid exists has nothing to do with it.

OT: I agree with ultimania. It does kind of feel wrong, but it's worth it to kill one to save many.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I'm all for it those fetuses aren't living and even you do consider them living it would be the same thing as slaughtering a cow or pig

In three years, the cow won't call you "daddy".

Just so people don't flame me, remember I support it, considering they'd only use aborted babies anyways.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

^^Honestly I don't follow this too closely but one thing I've heard is that there are more breakthroughs with the adult stem cells.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

^^Honestly I don't follow this too closely but one thing I've heard is that there are more breakthroughs with the adult stem cells.

I think that should be looked into equally. If that could be perfected, stem cells would be far easier to get, considering it'd be a bit like a transplant.

I'm not sure whether that's the case, but it's impossible to do this kind of research without first understanding embryonic stem cells. It's like trying to know how to get somewhere with no map or directions to get there. Either way, breakthoughs in both take us a step further towards treatments.

By the way the video doesn't really have anything to do with adult stem cells, more normal skin cells that were reverted to an embryonic state. You can see how this kind of breakthough would be impossible if we didn't know which genes are expressed more in embryos.

Roberthree, that is probably the most ignorant post I've ever read

Its a gross oversimplification to be specific. It's not ignorant. Read Dawkin's book (God Delusion), seriously. It explains this far better than I can.

If you pick and choose what parts of the bible to obey and not to obey then you obviously don't get morals from the bible. And in the end SSR all comes down to each person's ethical viewpoint. Some people can't tell "morals" apart from "god" and hence religion is injected into topics like this.

Well first of all, thank you for not just saying "stfu".

God or not, the Bible says to be good to people. Do you not agree with that?

Some people can't tell "morals" apart from "god"

That is true, but most of us aren't like that.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Well first of all, thank you for not just saying "stfu".

God or not, the Bible says to be good to people. Do you not agree with that?

The bible condones rape and killing of non-believers. Women are treated like property. Do you approve of this? If not then your sense of morality did not come from the bible.

Some people can't tell "morals" apart from "god"

That is true, but most of us aren't like that.

Really? Then why do you act as if you need the bible to know right from wrong?

Also, I'm probably missing alot and I might not be making much sense. I'm discussing this exact topic on a pokemon forum and I'm having trouble keeping what I've said separate.

In three years, the cow won't call you "daddy".

Oh. I never thought of it like that. I guess using birth control wastes 40,000 so odd babies each round. That sperm could have been a baby in 3 years >_<. And I guess women that are prone to miscarriages are serial killers.

I support this, mostly due to the fact that I have type one diabetes and it's a good bet that if stem cell research was allowed in the US we'd be much closer to a cure right now. I don't have time to read the whole topic right now, but I will definitely read it later. ::'

Yes, I support it. I don't see what's wrong with it, you kill a fetus that is only a few cells large (don't know how many cells, but that's not significant, since from my understanding it isn't even close to having internal organs or anything yet) and isn't even close to "alive" yet.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Oh. I never thought of it like that. I guess using birth control wastes 40,000 so odd babies each round. That sperm could have been a baby in 3 years >_<. And I guess women that are prone to miscarriages are serial killers.

I'd like to think magekillr for this term.

You just haymanned. A lot. I responded to a terribly grossly overstated "point". He compared a future human life to what may be on your plate for dinner. I don't care if you say it isn't alive yet. It will be. And it will be human.

But that still wasn't the point of my post, or any of my posts on this thread.I don't understand not supporting it. They aren't beating pregnant women into giving their fetus' stem cells or anything, they use aborted babies, miscarriages and the like (when possible for those other ways). The child isn't going to grow up in the first place. The only time they can use the stem cells is before the third trimester, I believe.