Do You Support Stem Cell Research?

Dizzle229

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first of all, thank you for not just saying "stfu".

God or not, the Bible says to be good to people. Do you not agree with that?

The bible condones rape and killing of non-believers. Women are treated like property. Do you approve of this? If not then your sense of morality did not come from the bible.

You need to understand that the bible is old. Very, VERY old. The Church today will not tell you to kill non believers and treat women like that.

Edit: Back to stem cell research.

I think that it's ok, as long as the fetus wasn't created just to get the cells. But if a baby was aborted for a legitimate reason, or it was miscarried, or unable to be born, it might as well be put to use.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I support stem cell research, all the way.

Currently, if my memory serves me right, stem cells are extracted from a cluster of cells that is created when a fertilized egg develops into after a few days, which admittedly would become a human being given another 8 or so months, but at the time of harvesting, its little more than a bunch of floating cells which are no different from the million of skin flakes that fall off you every day without you noticing.

Except of course, these cells could cure a whole multitude of diseases that have plagued mankind for centuries. At this point, the cluster of cells hasn't even got a brain. It thinks as much as that piece of skin that came off your blister, which interestingly, can also be used to generate another clone of you.

Air_Dragon15.png

If lives are saved, and the foetus is like something that was aborted or miscarriage thing, then sure, go for it.

If you produce a baby just for research purposes however... I am disgusted.

But until i see such a thing, i'll go with a support.

This is kind of like the saying, "Kill one, save a thousand".

the triky thing with this situation is we are trying to put a value on life

as an example if you were forced to choose between shooting one person or letting 5 die almost everyone would agree its completely legitimate to take a life for 5.

However, if your choice is either kill one person or 5 people will be paralyzed theres a lot more difficulty deciding.

I still dont get why everyone is saying they use abortions for stem cell research I could have sworn they use spare embryos in fertility clinics. Meaning they take one fertilized egg from a freezer let it develop a little bit then do the modifying to make it grow whatever they want. I see nothing wrong with using something that isnt going to become a baby anyway, its when we start getting people to give up eggs and such to do this that we are going a bit too far.

and to everyone saying how birth control does the same thing, sperm or egg cells cannot develop into life on their own so its completely different

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

This is kind of like the saying, "Kill one, save a thousand".

the triky thing with this situation is we are trying to put a value on life

as an example if you were forced to choose between shooting one person or letting 5 die almost everyone would agree its completely legitimate to take a life for 5.

However, if your choice is either kill one person or 5 people will be paralyzed theres a lot more difficulty deciding.

I still dont get why everyone is saying they use abortions for stem cell research I could have sworn they use spare embryos in fertility clinics. Meaning they take one fertilized egg from a freezer let it develop a little bit then do the modifying to make it grow whatever they want. I see nothing wrong with using something that isnt going to become a baby anyway, its when we start getting people to give up eggs and such to do this that we are going a bit too far.

and to everyone saying how birth control does the same thing, sperm or egg cells cannot develop into life on their own so its completely different

I was wondering the exact same thing on whether they used aborted fetuses or not, so I did a little reading around. Apparently it does happen. Here's an article which ties in with the topic nicely:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,31748,00.html

You can see how they mention the use of aborted fetuses.

By the way you're spot on with the point of placing value on human life (whatever form it takes). It's the issue of contention for most people and is ultimately the marker by which we hold the views that we do.

dont rock the boat, dont rock the boat baby.

but i was thinking along the same lines of your cartoon. id like to see any religious zealot deny a dying person the chance to experiment with stem cells when he comes face to face with them.

of course their excuse will probably be that "god will save you if you pray".

But that's the thing. Church and state are separate. Tbh, the Vatican can say what it wants, they have no real authority in Congress.

And pez, why is it that you only post here when someone does this?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Yeah, they use pretty much anything that's like a fetus, but won't be able to grow into a baby, I think. Not totally sure, though.

But people will have abortions, and there will be miscarriages, and there will be failed births, so why not put them to work saving others?

I don't understand how you can be against stem cell research, really. You could only really be against abortion. And, I'm a bit against abortion, at least after the third trimester, but it's still the woman's choice.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

But that's the thing. Church and state are separate. Tbh, the Vatican can say what it wants, they have no real authority in Congress.

You didn't know that the pope controlled JFK?

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

The church has some influence in almost every single government, especially in the west. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's unavoidable in democracy. Although they aren't officially 'represented', you get plenty of religious politicians who will be influenced.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Yeah, I doubt Church and State will ever be as separate as they were in, say, the Roman days (which could be implemented so nicely these days, urban Roman cities were quite the utopia). However, we don't have a theocracy, which would never work these days. Period.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

[hide=Don't tip the boat over; don't rock the boat!]I think that stem-cell research could greatly improve others' lives, at a relatively small cost. It can (and will) greatly benefit the ill or deformed.[/hide]

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

That's the scary thing about religion in politics for me. Politicians should be governing for the people, not according to their personal beliefs.

Sure, let the churches lobby - they have just as much right to do so as anyone else. But at the end of the day, a politician needs to govern for the people. All people, even the ones who don't share his/her beliefs.

That's the scary thing about religion in politics for me. Politicians should be governing for the people, not according to their personal beliefs.

Sure, let the churches lobby - they have just as much right to do so as anyone else. But at the end of the day, a politician needs to govern for the people. All people, even the ones who don't share his/her beliefs.

Exactly. Because the U.S. is built upon the idea of freedom and diversity. But if almost all of our descisions are based on one religion, we might as well give it all up.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I support Stem Cell research completely. To me, this can be compared to war int he fact that your killing one to save many more.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

I am leaning towards supporting it, but I'm still very leery of it at the same time. I can see this turning into Brave New World so fast...

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."