Do You Support Stem Cell Research?

Dizzle229

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to start a huge freaking flame war. I reccommend you request it be closed immediately.

only if people can't keep it civil,wait and see for awile.

ot: I support stem cell research mainly because of its benefits, the fetus are dead anyways might as well use them to help people live longer. Every potential to save lives must be evaluated.

omegaman70.png

This is going to start a huge freaking flame war. I reccommend you request it be closed immediately.

ot: I support stem cell research mainly because of its benefits, the fetus are dead anyways might as well use them to help people live longer. Every potential to save lives must be evaluated.

This is Ot, civility is impossible.

aah.png

aah.png
aah.png

aah.png

People in glass houses should shower in the basement.

This is Ot, civility is impossible.

All we can do is hope this doesn't become /b/

We had a hiccup at the start, but we're over that now. It's been going pretty well since then, and since the new Funny Picture Thread is doing well, I think we can maintain this one.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I absolutely support it, the potential is phenomenal.

dizzle, I agree that this shouldn't be turned into a proxy for a religious debate. But denying that nearly all objections to stem cell research are made on religious grounds is frankly just kidding yourself. Of course religion doesn't equate with anti-stem-cell research, but you can't deny that the link is there.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

the fetus never knew life, so its not like your taking anything away from it, but you are improving the lives of hundreds, thousands of people by allowing damaged organs, nerves etc to be repaired, so why the hell not?

i agree with stem cell research fully

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

the fetus never knew life, so its not like your taking anything away from it, but you are improving the lives of hundreds, thousands of people by allowing damaged organs, nerves etc to be repaired, so why the hell not?

Although I fully agree, wouldn't you feel a small amount of guilt? I know that the fetus itself never saw life but it could have turned out to be an awesome person... Then again I'd rather sacrifice a fetus and cure an amount of people.

;>

i support it.

It will probably lead to over population because no one dies anymore and eventually cause a lower quality of life for everyone, but we have the knowledge to use it to our advantage to cure terrible illnesses so there's no reason why we shouldn't.

Who knows, we might move to mars in a 100 years and there will be no such thing as over population and then we will be kicking ourselves for not using it (if we don't) and looking back at all the knowledge and human possibilities that were killed by cancer.

I look at as a decision that we have to make that could either make us or break us. We only have one chance to be the human race, so why not try give it the best shot we can. If we end up hating ourselves because of everything it has caused to go wrong then so be it.

i support it.

It will probably lead to over population because no one dies anymore and eventually cause a lower quality of life for everyone, but we have the knowledge to use it to our advantage to cure terrible illnesses so there's no reason why we shouldn't.

Who knows, we might move to mars in a 100 years and there will be no such thing as over population and then we will be kicking ourselves for not using it (if we don't) and looking back at all the knowledge and human possibilities that were killed by cancer.

I look at as a decision that we have to make that could either make us or break us. We only have one chance to be the human race, so why not try give it the best shot we can. If we end up hating ourselves because of everything it has caused to go wrong then so be it.

I dont think whether or not we cure some serious diseases is going to make or break the human race, thats taking it a little far. Also in 100 years we will cure those diseases whether we use stem cells or not.

A Fetus isn't alive as far as i'm concerned. When it breaths "BABY!", but before it does "CURE!"

you realize that allows for the abortion of babies that are fully developed and could survive on their own if they were born right then? Unless you mean when the lungs start functioning but I doubt that was your meaning.

Also, can someone confirm for me I thought they could use spare embryos from fertility clinics for stem cells? I would completely approve of using spare embryos that were just going to sit in a freezer and if people want to donate to make embryos for research I guess thats reasonable also. However, to everyone saying they should use aborted babies do you really think its right to profit off of killing?

Im all for scientific research and curing truly terrible conditions stem cell research can cure but we need to consider if its really ethical to give up one life and justify it by saying we can do some good with it.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I do, so long as they're doing something useful with the Phoetus, instead of doing old tests or repeated tests with it.

Because if i was the phoetus, as long as i was being used for something new, and possibly even breakthrough, then i personally wouldn't mind if i was being experimented with.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

I don't know where people are getting the idea that they use abortions for this kind of research. Scientific research is a tad more controlled than that I would have thought. The very reason that they use spare IVF embryos, for example, is because they're snap frozen and sterile.

Im all for scientific research and curing truly terrible conditions stem cell research can cure but we need to consider if its really ethical to give up one life and justify it by saying we can do some good with it.

I suppose that's where people ask themselves which they value more. Some people are obviously upset that embryos are used in this kind of research. I myself am upset looking at people suffering from serious diseases and disabilities when they could be helped.

Nuh uh, I meant the people who stopped your friend from using stem cells.

Don't know exactly. I think it's a mixture of uneducated doctors (in stem cell research), religious fundamentalists and the government. All I know is he hasn't been given the stem cell treatment yet and no one has given doctors permission to help him with stem cells.

I am for stem cell research as long as it is voluntary samples or from stillborn fetus. My problem is that the research seems to be creating a demand for abortions, which I am against.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I am for stem cell research as long as it is voluntary samples or from stillborn fetus. My problem is that the research seems to be creating a demand for abortions, which I am against.

Good point, eventually this could lead to a market for "fetuses", doctors pushing abortion on parents and other things like that :? I have a feeling so very screwed up people will profit greatly off this.

Paralysis, cancer, tumors, and other injuries and diseases can be cured from research of something no one has set eyes upon, why not go for it?

DAMN I need to say something, but I'll cooperate with the OP here.

Although I fully agree, wouldn't you feel a small amount of guilt? I know that the fetus itself never saw life but it could have turned out to be an awesome person... Then again I'd rather sacrifice a fetus and cure an amount of people.

No good fretting over what "could" have happened.

snowsigyy7.png

I'm against creating embryos just for the research. If an embryo isn't going to be born it might as well be used for some good.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

I fully support full stem research; better to help those humans alive than those dead.

"I think, therefore I am." These fetuses (SP?) can't even think and aren't even breathing for god's sake. They're not alive and thus I refuse to see these things as human beings.

"What if they create the cure of cancer?" What if they become a serial killer. :|

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Guys, I don't deny that religion has a part in it. You can talk about the religious issue here, as it's a big part of the argument. Just try to stay away from terms like "Bible-thumpers", that's what PO'ed me earlier.

Jack,I don't fully understand you're post. Supporter or non supporter?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

The bible has no place in politics, but its forced into them anyways. I personally am amazed that religion has lasted so long. There is no evidence supporting it and the only reason it survives is because parents take advantage of naive children.

That being said, I support stem cell research and I am very very pro choice. A fetus/zygote is not a thinking sentient being, therefore it is impossible to "kill". Just like how you can't "kill" a rock. If "killing" a rock could save lives everyone would support it.

Its similar to a survey done. The situation was presented at first like this:

If there was a runaway train about to hit 5 people, but you could save them by diverting the train. But on the other track is a man. Would you kill the man to save the 5 people? A large percentage said yes.

Then it asked; If there were 5 sick people who need organ transplants or they will die and a perfectly healthy man who is compatible with all 5 patients is in the waiting room; Is it acceptable to kill the healthy man to save the 5 sick people? Most said it wasn't.

Personally, I think SSR is more like this:

A child is drowning in a pool, and no one is around to save him besides you. But if you jump in and save him, you will ruin your shirt. Do you save the child?

"What if they create the cure of cancer?"

as an embryo, they hold much more potential to cure cancer than if they were ever born. morbid? yes. true? yes.

The bible has no place in politics, but its forced into them anyways. I personally am amazed that religion has lasted so long. There is no evidence supporting it and the only reason it survives is because parents take advantage of naive children.

this is where a religious person would claim, "there is no proof it doesnt exist!". although there is much to disprove certain passages in the bible.

there really isnt any cold, hard proof that there is no god. unless you count george w. bush.

this is where that "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy starts to get on my nerves.