Do You Support Stem Cell Research?

Dizzle229

This topic has probably been made before at some point, but I can't find a recent one, so here goes.

Do you support stem cell research? Currently, the government isn't funding it due to the fact that many consider it to be outright immoral. However, the reason it hasn't been banned completely is because of it's medical capabilities.

To those of you who aren't familiar with stem cell research, here's the Wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell_research

Personally, I do support it. After a fetus is aborted, it might as well have a use. Some people may consider it wrong, but I think it has the potential to help alot of people, maybe even cure most diseases.

~Supporters~

Dizzle229

mrpez

run4runes

Nadril

Cyco_Reborn

Lenticular_J

kcdragon8116

deloriagod

kranked1

foolgool

warri0r45

tehpwnage

megakiller32

thrash-boy

Necrobean

walka92

assassin_696

Lordtunkuta

yoda9931

Yomyth105

Barihawk

riku3220

hellbellz

Deiophobus

Nick_6464

Roberthree

ultimania92

jackattack

hawkxs

EzThePker

Zierro

reaper88888

abbydog95

MicroLegionnaire

sohkmj1

magekillr

EarthySun

Powman3

99pulse99

~~~~~~~~~~

~Non-Supporters~

warren211

mmmcannibalism

~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes.

with stem cell research burn victims can receive new skin, those in need of organs can simply have a copy of their own, and cancer can be effectively treated. stem cells can cure paralysis, missing limbs, being blind or deaf, etc.

(by the author's request i cannot mention why this technology is not available, but you all know why already)

DO NOT turn this into a religious fight. There is nothing wrong with religion, and it IS understandable that they don't want stem cell research. I may not agree with it, but it doesn't make it stupid.

And I'm pretty sure we could make due with the fetuses that we're aborted for other reasons. Aborting them for the purpose of stem cell research isn't necesary, we've got plenty of other fetuses.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I'm pro-life, so I think you know whether I support stem cell research

[hide=answer]I do. I agree 100% with mrpez. I would rather save the life of a younger person who already has a life and loved ones, then a fetus that nobody has ever gotten to know[/hide]

Yeah ultimately this will bring religion into it, it's inevitable. Really the only reasons against stem cell research are religious or moral reasons.

I myself am all for it. Anything that has a great chance to help out humanity is a win in my books.

I'm just saying that religious fighting usually kills threads. In fact, we already have the technology, but no funding means nothing can be done. A shame too, this could be the cure to everything.

I just can't stand how most people on these forums think that having a religion makes you a cultist zealot.

I'm going to start a list on the first post of supporters and non-supporters.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

if i hadnt edited my first post, you would have read that its not everyone that believes in a god that stops this.

its the damn bible thumpers and fundamentalists.

also, no funding? are you serious? if permission is granted, money will be thrown at this research in ways unimaginable, but that un-named force continually blocks it from happening.

if i hadnt edited my first post, you would have read that its not everyone that believes in a god that stops this.

its the damn bible thumpers and fundamentalists.

also, no funding? are you serious? if permission is granted, money will be thrown at this research in ways unimaginable, but that un-named force continually blocks it from happening.

If only we could find this unknown force and convince it that stem cell research can help give life! :shock:

^

You didn't need to edit the post, it was perfectly valid. But Bible-thumpers? That's something I don't want said.

btw, I'm Catholic, I believe in God, I believe in Heaven. I also fully support stem cell research.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I am in complete support of it. There are loads of things they could be used for!!! Like repairing nerves for example. Anyone who disagrees should have a look at what stem cells can do and reconsider.

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

How many fetuses are aborted a day?(I dunno the number) Well, I say it's fine if those are used. Of course, I can't say I fully support it, because, like with everything, there's bound to be someone who thinks people should be forced to give up their fetus for it, or something. A "Bible-thumper" of stem cells.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Wiki says that research suggests the possibility of transforming adult stem cells into cells similar to embryonic stem cells, and thus no babies are harmed. I say that as long as babies don't die because of this research, go ahead. Unfortunatly it seems they are dying for the sake of research. Until I'm assured that a fetus won't be killed before it's chance at life, I won't support it. If the research continues and it is discovered how to properly do this to use adult stem cells and give them embryonic-like properties, then I'll be for it. I will try not to bring too much religion into this, but I will say that I believe it is morally wrong to kill an unborn fetus for any reason.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

the problem with adult cells is that each cell is already specialized to a certain area. a cell taken from skin is pre-programmed to duplicate skin, while a heart cell will grow into a heart.

stem cells from unborn fetuses are a tabula rasa (blank slate). they have the ability to replicate any cell they are placed next to. ie, lung cells for someone with emphysema.

I don't understand the point, but I guess supporter.

That said, I'm against abortions after about the 28th week (6th, 7th month). By then, I consider it murder, as the child is nearly grown and birth is not far away.

But I feel the same was as Warren and I think you. Women have always aborted babies, we should use them. I feel that if women begin to get pregnant just for money form it, I feel that's just wrong, as that's worse than slavery.

If adult stem cells can truly be used, I'm all for research into that. Specialty cells would be just as good. A dead adult could certainly provide many more stem cells than a fetus, correct?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

wrong. adult stem cells would be useful, but only for the person they were taken from. that person would be able to replicate his organs, etc. but their cloned organs would be little use to others in need.

fetuses from unborn babies can be placed with a single cell from the tissue of a man with lung cancer, and soon they will have grown into a new set of lungs that are genetically identical to the original.

see my above post.

I myself support stem cell research. It can greatly help people who need it, and I don't believe that it is immoral to want to save peoples lives.

Here is an article about a new method of supplying cells, and it doesnt involve stem cells. I hope this technology is researched to it's fullest.

Changing Cell Identity

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I support stem cell research. I have nothing against "killing" a fetus for the sake of making others' lives better. At the same time, I have nothing against abortion (especially for teens). I have to agree with Lenticular though, abortion in the 6th month is pushing it and later I kind of consider to be wrong.

A very close IRL friend of mine is crippled from the neck down for the rest of his life due to someone falling on his neck in a ruck in a game of Rugby. With stem cell research doctors have told him in 5-10 years time he could walk and run again, not play sports, but still be able to run around with the children he will eventually have, spend time with his wife and get a normal job to support his eventual family. Unfortunately they wont allow stem cells to be used on him, meaning he is now looking at the next 50-60 years of his life only being able to move a finger tip at most.

Needless to say I support Stem cell research, if a baby has been aborted then put it to good use, be more lenient on Abortions as well IMO, if the parents don't want their future child let them abort and save / give someone a new life while they're at it, instead of living a life knowing they didn't want that kid.

It's incredibly easy to produce another Foetus, it's not incredibly easy to give someone a second chance at life or save them from a unstoppable (by normal medical standards) death.

Who is the "they", Kranked?

I assume you mean "them" from my last line.

What I mean by "them" is someone who is facing a unpreventable death due to any sort of disease that could be saved by the use of stem cell research. If I remember correctly stem cell research can cure AIDS as the stem cells grow into white blood cells increasing antibody numbers.

I do most certainly support it. There's no reason, other than religion, that people should not be allowed to be healthy if all it takes is new cells of their own, personal tissue.

SUPPORT

x9whitey9x.jpg

The code in my sig should say 1032 not 0132.

I support it. The potential for cures is pretty awesome.

People sometimes forget that stem cell research is just that - research. We're not going to know about stem cells without studying them, but the ultimate goal doesn't have to be harvesting embryos for cells. The ultimate goal would be to get cells from the patient, transform them into totipotent ("all-potent" - can turn into any cell type) cells and then use those cells to cure the patient. That's why this new research you hear about reverting adult stem cells into embryonic-like stem cells is really good news. I think that this method is the right way to go because it bypasses all issues of compatibility and rejection.

On the other hand, some people don't have enough time to let a lab grow them up a new piece of liver because theirs just failed. I think what will happen is the production of organs derived from embryonic stem cells or donated and reverted adult stem cells to supplement organ donation. The same goes for blood donation.

Actually just on the issue of blood, I recently heard of some exciting new research into making blood cells from embryonic stem cells. Providing they're the right blood type, the issue of compatability is erased.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... 341009.htm