Looking for Beta Testers for new RS related program.

Shinjula

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd, first off look in your Questor directory to see if the file is actually there, and let me know if it is or idnt. Second, did you install in the standard directory or did you choose a different place to put it? Thirdly, did you do anything even slighty out of the ordinary?

I have retried installing it myself, just in case id managed to forget to stick the file in the intsall routine, but I've had no difficulty at all.

Obvious thing to try, uninstall it and reinstall to see if that makes any difference.

I have done all the quests but i will download this just because it might come in useful when helping out my buddies with their quests and it looks cool.

And wow i just had a thought, this program has a lot of potential, if you keep adding things too it it could basically become a desktop tip.it with a bestiary and quest guides etc. I would love to see that

cool_sig1.jpg

I have done all the quests but i will download this just because it might come in useful when helping out my buddies with their quests and it looks cool.

And wow i just had a thought, this program has a lot of potential, if you keep adding things too it it could basically become a desktop tip.it with a bestiary and quest guides etc. I would love to see that

That's what I was thinking, though on a lesser scale. You could add the items needed for all the quests, the condensed guides from tip.it (the full version might be a little too much), and even a bestiary of all the quest monsters. Now that I would download. ::'

Even better idea (rambling for the win :thumbsup: ); make it so that the items are linked up the G.E (it's possible) and it'll tell you how much it'll cost for that quest, or quests for that matter. Hec, you could even add the three or four most cost effective training methods and put it into your guide. See how much money it'll cost to train that herblore level to 45. That would make it amazingly useful, and I would use it for everything. =D

tintin113

>>>On the circle there are line going along... are the showing what quests have to be to start others or just quest storylines or what?

Green lines show quests which needed to be completed in order to access the quest you are hovering over. Yellow lines show quests which have the quest your hovering over as a requirement.

War_Junky_91

>>>I have done all the quests but i will download this just because it might come in useful when helping out my buddies with their quests and it looks cool.

>>>And wow i just had a thought, this program has a lot of potential, if you keep adding things too it it could basically become a desktop tip.it with a bestiary and quest guides etc. I would love to see that

AlexRose

>>>That's what I was thinking, though on a lesser scale. You could add the items needed for all the quests, the condensed guides from tip.it (the full version might be a little too much), and even a bestiary of all the quest monsters. Now that I would download. ::'

I have thought about adding a link into various website, but its a bit problematic. People have different favourite fansite and so I'd want to include all the good ones, and thats about seven or eight different sites. Each sites pages have a different system for naming their pages, for example tip.it's first quest in their list (Between a Rock) has the url http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?rs2quest_id=71. There doesnt seem to be a logical way of generating the urls for any of the sites most people like. This implies having to go through each site and scrape the urls of and store them rather than generating them. In addition, different site favour different orders of the quests, some have A Souls Bane alphabetically firt, some have it after Smoking Kills. This just leads to a whole bunch of annoyance, so I've basically decided not to bother.

Similar problems occur with the bestiary and the item database.

However, I have scraped together the rewards from each quest and will be implementing it soon. I've split them up into seven different subjects, Minigames, Abilities, Transport, Resources, Areas, Cash & Items and hopefully will include them sometime soon. I am however have some difficulty finding some way of representing them in a useful fashion. As always its the interfaces which really make a program.

>>>Even better idea (rambling for the win :thumbsup: ); make it so that the items are linked up the G.E (it's possible) and it'll tell you how much it'll cost for that quest, or quests for that matter. Hec, you could even add the three or four most cost effective training methods and put it into your guide. See how much money it'll cost to train that herblore level to 45. That would make it amazingly useful, and I would use it for everything. =D

I'm not convinced that it would add a lot of the functionality, its kinda nice gimmick, but I dont think most people questing would really need that info. My husband also banging on at me to add in the Skill Calculator I wrote for myself ages ago but I'm just not convinced it needs it.

On the positive side v0.2 is nearly ready, now with fabulous resizing. It's been a heck of a slog trying to get it programmed as there are quite a few elements which work together to reduce the size, the font size of the quest list now drops down and the labels for the skills disappear at low resolutions, I've also got it to display more quests when theres more space and less when there less, but getting them all to co-operate together its annoyingly tricky, but its kinda working now. I need to tuning it a little further so that the right things vanish in the right order. I'd also like to get it a little smoother, some of the graphics dont smoothly transit - I'll probably put it up before I get that one sorted though as it isnt at all necessary to its function.

I still need to sort out the window scrollbars (I took them out while I was working on resizing) so that they appear when you go below a certain resolution. It it actually quite usable at 800x600 which was a bit of a shock, so I'll probably set them to activate at anything below that. And I also need to code them into being properly style scrollbars like the other ones I've made, instead of the nastly grey windows ones.

Hopefully that should only take me till tomorrow morning. I'm in a programming frenzy at the moment. It's 9:15am and I've been programming constantly since about 8pm last night, fun fun fun....

i tried to run and got this:

run-time error 53

File not found:Icons.bmp

any help?

This will fix it but it will probably look different.

Just put a file called "Icons.bmp" where-ever it's missing from, just open Paint or something and save a blank image.

Other than that, just re-install the program.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

********************************************************************************************************************************************

**................................................ Version 0.2 Now Up

This is now version 0.2 which fixes a few errors in the Quest Data and adds resizing down to about 800x600 and adds big chucks of data in the form of Rewards and Internet Links.

Rewards are display both in the information box which opens when you left click on a quest, they are also shown on the rewards screen as small icons to the right of the skill xp rewards. They are split into seven different types, cash, items, abilities, resources, areas, transport & minigames

The internet links are on the information box, and will open your internet browser to the relevant Quest Guide on either Tip It or Rune HQ's websites

Go to http://www.rsquestor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ to pick up your copy today !!!

Let me know how well it goes

You discounted AlexRose's idea for the calculator telling how costly the skill level needed for the quest will be, taking into account the current level - perhaps have a slow but cheap method, a moderate method, and a fast and costly method for each skill. Cost to complete also fits in there and would be quite useful.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

You discounted AlexRose's idea for the calculator telling how costly the skill level needed for the quest will be, taking into account the current level - perhaps have a slow but cheap method, a moderate method, and a fast and costly method for each skill. Cost to complete also fits in there and would be quite useful.

No seriously, that an entirely different program. There are already skill calculators out there. It's a very large job putting in all that data and were I to do it I would do in a completely separate program. I'm not saying it's not a good idea for a skill calculator, but thats not the function of the program I'm writing.

There are also large questions involved such as who decides what counts as the best way of training a skill. So much of it is completely subjective that even the best and biggest sites like tip it only attempt to offer advice.

There is a small chance I would consider adding a skill calculator to the quest calc, but only so far as to offer the number of a particular item made with a skill.

Please people remember that I'm looking for Beta testing for the program I've written. I'm not looking to write another thousand lines of code to add extraneous function just because that's the program you would like to have written for you. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm all up for people suggesting things which are very connected to the program, such as a button to mark all quests complete/no quests complete, or links to open up the quests guides of various websites, but the sort of stuff you are suggesting is descending into the territory of entirely separate programs which would turn this project into a behemoth, at the moment its already close to the limit of what it's capable of being.

Please people remember that I'm looking for Beta testing for the program I've written. I'm not looking to write another thousand lines of code to add extraneous function just because that's the program you would like to have written for you. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm all up for people suggesting things which are very connected to the program, such as a button to mark all quests complete/no quests complete, or links to open up the quests guides of various websites, but the sort of stuff you are suggesting is descending into the territory of entirely separate programs which would turn this project into a behemoth, at the moment its already close to the limit of what it's capable of being.

Oh, I understand... I've done programming. Maybe add a simple thing that says whether a quest is generally "Cheap" "Moderate" or "Expensive" and maybe "Very Expensive" for any notable exceptions. I don't *think* that would be near as hard as a calculator.

I definitely know I'll use this when I get around to doing RFD.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

Apologies for not having added the new quest yet, I've run across a logical problem in that if I update the data I now need a second update when the various websites I've added links for actually write their quest guides, so I kinda need to write the code to do that first.

I'm also probably going to be too busy to do it today, but I'll get it done soon enough.

Apologies for not having added the new quest yet, I've run across a logical problem in that if I update the data I now need a second update when the various websites I've added links for actually write their quest guides, so I kinda need to write the code to do that first.

I'm also probably going to be too busy to do it today, but I'll get it done soon enough.

Also, I am having a problem with checking off a quest that says I have a low level to do it. I used a potion, initially, to beat the quest. So, instead of the program debating with me, it should give me authority to check off a quest.

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

I like it.

Ati Radeon HD Pro AGP graphics card, 1gb ram, 2.6ghz intel pentium 4 processor

Xp Home SP3

No error messages I'll mess with it later on tell you if I find anything anything new.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

fgfuyfyuiuy0 - no prob, someone did mention that earlier, but im unsure which quests require the levels and which can be potted/assisted past it. Which quest was it?

Incidentally if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can find out which quests can be potted past please tell me, also feel free to mention quests you DO know you can pot past and I'll note that down.

New version coming out soon :) S'looking good

(You could always mark yourself as having the potted level of skill on the left, then itll not bother you about whether you cant complete the quest.)

fgfuyfyuiuy0 - no prob, someone did mention that earlier, but im unsure which quests require the levels and which can be potted/assisted past it. Which quest was it?

It was Devious Minds that I was having trouble with.

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

Well that looks very interesting, and it seems that you've put a lot of work into. I'm not quite sure exactly what it does, but I guess that it could help people who haven't finished the quests in some way or other.

It is quite pretty though.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

**................................................ Version 0.3 Now Up

This is now version 0.3 which fixes a few more errors, and adds the capability for me to correct errors in the data on the fly and have them download to you automatically when you use the update quest button. It also include the data for the new quest "Summer's End" and adds further Internet Links.

You can now choose out of six different sites to get information from, Jagex's own, Tip It, RuneHQ, Rune Wiki, Zybex and Sal's Runescape Realm. These are accessed in the information box on each quest, two buttons either side of the quest requirements and rewards each now have a small arrow below them allowing you to assign any of the six websites to either of the buttons.

The rewards page has had a small redesign. The rewards are now placed in columns allowing you to see more easily which quests have which type of rewards.

And lastly, I have finally gone through the whole node view sorting out and organising the quests into a more coherent layout, untangling the nest of crossing wires, and introducing a default profile into the root directory. This may cause a few problems as I've yet to implement updates so that they update the default profile, but its easily solved by altering the basic profile and the copying the new profile ontop of it.

http://www.rsquestor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Some of the large scale changes in the nature of the data it is now using renders earlier version unable to update, so you will need to download the new version to get the data on Summer's End

**................................................ Version 0.4 Now Up

This is now version 0.4 which brings you, at last, Show by and Hide by Questlines. It also adds the much requested Skill Boosts button which allows you to choose one of the twenty different items that can boost your skills to help you complete quests early. Let me know if I've missed any items out (as far as I'm ware the ones I've put in are the only ones capable of boosting you through quest requirements).

I've also added icons for the number of Quest Points a quest gives, and Completed All/None buttons as requested and further, I've also added a Save on exit dialog box to help remind users if they haven't saved their profile before shutting the program down - something I really should have thought of earlier. I'm now happy with the majority of capabilities of the program so probably won't be adding anything else to it, with the exception of help files and context sensitive help - so please do continue to report any bugs to me, but please no more suggestions.

As always the program can be downloaded from

http://www.rsquestor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Okay, so I downloaded this latest version.

This program looks like one of the most unique, and helpful RuneScape tools I've seen in a long time. It looks great, and the new sortby-questline is pretty useful. What language is this in?

Great job, again.

THankyou so much for your kind comments, glad to hear its working correctly, I always worry a little when each new version gets put up, in case I've done something silly and put it up in a non-working conidition, glad to hear that's not the case.

Its written in Visual Basic, pretty much the only language I've ever found that I'm really happy with. Although so many people diss it, I find it surprisingly adaptable and capable of all I need, probably because I'm a mathematician at heart so a lot of the programming is done through maths, and also because I tend to focus on interfaces and design more than a lot of programmers which can really be done in any language.

Do let me know any errors large or small that you find, the more you tell me, the more I can fix :)

Happy Questing.

Wow, this thing is really cool. Once I got over the confusion of thinking that green meant the quest was done, lol.

It doesn't help me a whole lot, having all but about 4 quests done. When I get home, I'll mess around with it using my brothers character, or maybe my skiller..

Nicely done. I found no errors messing around with it.

Also, I know nothing about the programming of something like this, but would it be possible for it to connect to tip.it's quest list (the one where we check off the quests we've done) to update what quests we have done..is that possible?

35b9enp.jpg

I'm sure it probably could be done, although I have absolutely no idea how I would go about doing it. I've had to have quite a bit of help from my husband to get the internet parts of it working.

I think on the whole though I'd prefer not to do it, I'm happy with what I've got so far, plus I've kinda run out of space to add any more options to it.

Once the help files are done, I do plan on offering it to the various fan sites on the net so I'd rather not tie it too closely to any particular site.

But I'm glad you like the program and hope that you get some use out of it.