NASCAR

Kaphias

No, I'm not a "redneck". Sorry. I'm a born and raised Alaskan, who just happens to enjoy NASCAR.

Anyone else here follow this sport actively? I try to set aside about 4 hours every weekend to follow the race, along with some of the pre-race interviews and whatnot. People may wonder why I enjoy it... really it's just because of how the drivers act on and off the track compared to other racing series. I like seeing all the passing that goes on, and I like the variation of tracks that they drive on, from road courses, to 2.5 mile super-speedways, to half-mile bullrings.

I went to this years race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, (IRL and MotoGP race there, and F1 used to race there) and I had so much fun. The experience of actually going to a race and seeing all the fans (400,000) and all the drivers was amazing. And the SOUND! 43 cars going past you at 170 miles per hour is just amazing. I'd love to go back for the IRL race one year and watch them fly by 50 MPH faster.

But yeah... discuss, rant, whatever.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think comedian Jeff Dunham was well-spoken on NASCAR. "Look! They're making a left turn!!! Come back in 10 minutes you won't miss a damn thing!"

The only time NASCAR is exciting is if you're the driver, the crew, or the spotter, because you actually have to work for those 3 hour races and must be vigilant. I only like the car crashes and spin outs, but I can get those highlights from ESPN or youtube. I don't think I'll ever watch those 4 hour races to see one or two crashes/spin outs. I respect anyone who has the tolerance and patience to watch NASCAR, I'm just not one of em ;)

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I don't like NASCAR much, I used to watch it when I was younger... maybe about 5 or 6. Thought it was boring, still do now, but hey, we all have our likes and dislikes. Although I will admit I was hurt the day Dale Earnhardt die. r.i.p. :( :cry:

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

I'm not interested in NASCAR, but if you like the driving part of it, then I highly recommend taking a performance/high speed driving class that is most likely offered at your local raceway.

Local raceway? Only racing classes we have here are how to race sled dogs.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I'm not interested in NASCAR, but if you like the driving part of it, then I highly recommend taking a performance/high speed driving class that is most likely offered at your local raceway.

Isn't there a raceway in Fairbanks? And I'm not sure about Anchorage, but there might be one there too.

Of course, I don't know where you live, so that could be really far away from you. I'm too used to North Carolina where you don't have to drive more than an hour and a half to get to a race track. But we have the moonshine runner history behind us. Not that I know anything about moonshine... :thumbsup:

Isn't there a raceway in Fairbanks? And I'm not sure about Anchorage, but there might be one there too.

Of course, I don't know where you live, so that could be really far away from you. I'm too used to North Carolina where you don't have to drive more than an hour and a half to get to a race track. But we have the moonshine runner history behind us. Not that I know anything about moonshine... :thumbsup:

Yeah, there are a few there. Absolutely nothing anywhere near here though. There's not even a place to legally ride your ATV/MX bike.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

No, I'm not a "redneck".

Dude, instead of just trying to avoid the joke you created it yourself. Like those Japanese sex toys that are only like four inches deep.

I was going to make the joke though, so it's kind of a moot point.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

No, I'm not a "redneck".

Dude, instead of just trying to avoid the joke you created it yourself. Like those Japanese sex toys that are only like four inches deep.

I was going to make the joke though, so it's kind of a moot point.

Eh, I thought about that before I posted. Figured I'd get a good laugh when people posted something like you did in response. So thanks.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I live about 5 miles from Lowe's Motor Speedway and several weeks a year the city gets overrun by thousands of rednecks with Dale Earnhardt t-shirts. I've been to several races, and I must say that Nascar events are truly unique from any other kind of sporting event.

I live about 5 miles from Lowe's Motor Speedway and several weeks a year the city gets overrun by thousands of rednecks with Dale Earnhardt t-shirts. I've been to several races, and I must say that Nascar events are truly unique from any other kind of sporting event.

I was there last April for the classic car show. ::' I might go again this year, especially since it was pouring that Saturday.

I watch occasionally, but don't set aside time. I'm more interested in the cars and driving than racing, which is fairly linear whose winner can usually be guessed at from the first ten laps of any race.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

NASCAR. Was never a real fan of it nor racing in general, but I do live like 2 miles from the California Speedway. You hear the engines all day in certain Sundays.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

NASCAR. Was never a real fan of it nor racing in general, but I do live like 2 miles from the California Speedway. You hear the engines all day in certain Sundays.

California Speedway = fail. It's probably the most boring race you'll ever watch. No wrecks, no passing, no nothing.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

im pretty sure most people just watch nascar for the crashes.

whats the point of just watching a bunch of cars drive for hours? the only laps that matter are the first and the last.

I agree, it's only good when they crash and burn. :twisted:

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

whats the point of just watching a bunch of cars drive for hours? the only laps that matter are the first and the last.

Even when some people die in those crashes? :roll: :|

Have you seen how those things are built? No ever dies in those mother-[bleep]ing fortresses.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Have you seen how those things are built? No ever dies in those mother-[bleep]ing fortresses.

Go try telling Dale Earnhardt Jr. that kk ;)

[hide=quotes]

[/hide]

The COT and the old Winston Cup car were built completely different. After that string of deaths in '00-'01, major safety innovations have been made. If you think Dale Earnhardt's crash was hard...

Realize this dude was doing like 190 going into the corner... He walked away with no injuries at all... Now try telling me that people won't die in crashes.

Also, Dale Earnhardt's death was linked to a seatbelt issue I believe. Whiplash is much more painful when there isn't a seatbelt there.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

[hide=quotes]

[/hide]

The COT and the old Winston Cup car were built completely different. After that string of deaths in '00-'01, major safety innovations have been made. If you think Dale Earnhardt's crash was hard...

(vid removed)

Realize this dude was doing like 190 going into the corner... He walked away with no injuries at all... Now try telling me that people won't die in crashes.

Also, Dale Earnhardt's death was linked to a seatbelt issue I believe. Whiplash is much more painful when there isn't a seatbelt there.

You're right about the new car, but remember that it's barely been used for a year. Yes, the new car is safer, but it really depends on the force and angle of impact as to how much damage is done. In the crash in the vid, the only bad part was the head-on impact, the rolling really can't do much damage.

And I believe Dale's death was because he wasn't wearing a HANS device. He never really cared for all the new safety stuff.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Perhaps, but the impact was in a similar manner to the way Dale Earnhardt hit when he was killed. The fact that this dude survived both that, and that roll (which was a lot more violent then it may seem) without even a scratch shows that at a bare minimum, these cars are exponentially safer. Even if Dale hadn't died in his crash, he would've been in significant pain and/or out for several races nursing a neck injury of some kind.

And even the tracks are safer. The SAFER barriers that they have on the tracks make any impact safer on the drivers. The only complaint about safety I have is the Road Courses - specifically the Tire Barriers...

Fast forward to minute mark 2:10 or so to see the wreck from the start. The tires bounced the car right back into the middle of the traffic, which make that wreck significantly worse than it would've been if he had just hit the wall and stuck there. Thankfully that's a slow corner, so it's not as bad as it could've been.

Either way you argue it, these cars are significantly safer since the days of Dale Earnhardt.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

And then compare this wreck with the old car to Michael McDowell's tumble in the COT:

gqJXuiv59x8

Even though he only flipped 3 times, the amount of damage done to the car was much more substantial compared to McDowell's wreck.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png