NASCAR

Kaphias

And then compare this wreck with the old car to Michael McDowell's tumble in the COT:

gqJXuiv59x8

Even though he only flipped 3 times, the amount of damage done to the car was much more substantial compared to McDowell's wreck.

I remember that wreck. Actually, that damage is kind of a safety feature in itself when you take physics into account. Each time a piece of that metal flies off, it takes some of the energy of the wreck with it. So when sheet metal flies off, a little energy is taken, and when the entire axle fell off it took a decent amount with it.

Also realize that was one of the Winston Cup-style cars as well, not the current 'brick' of a car that is driven. Also, the 'brick' design makes it so that when the car slides sideways like it did, it's not as likely to lift up, which is what caused most of the problem there because of when the car bounced back down. Now, you could send the car sideways at 180mph through the grass and all it'd do is rip up the sod a little bit. The car would be fine providing it didn't hit the wall or anything and you just come in, get four tires that aren't flat, and get back into the race.

EDIT: Just watched the wreck again and noticed that the right-rear tire came off before he spun, which explains a little bit more why he went airborne. Still, the aerodynamics of the new car prevent that mostly.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow NASCAR to a very small extent because my dad watches it, and CASCAR isn't really that good...Canadians ftw.

The racing is good to have on when your working or doing something, and you take that 3 minute break to see whats happening every so often...other than that just the crashes and oddities that happen...

I love NASCAR, I watch it every Sunday (And usually nationwide races). Nice to see more NASCAR fans on the forums :P. I still haven't been to a race, I do plan on it sometime though. Can't wait till Talladega coming up!

128+ Combat \\ 1900+ Total Level \\ 85M+ EXP

5,999th To 99 Woodcutting Achieved June 27, 2007

66,931st To 99 Strength Achieved January 23rd, 2009

Draconic Visage: 1+ \\ DK Drops: 169+ \\ GWD Drops: 74+

I love NASCAR, I watch it every Sunday (And usually nationwide races). Nice to see more NASCAR fans on the forums :P. I still haven't been to a race, I do plan on it sometime though. Can't wait till Talladega coming up!

Yeah, this weekend! This might be one weekend when I block out 8+ hours so I can watch all 3 series races. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

Go Gordon!

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

[size=300]Go Gordon![/size]

fix'd

Not enough Gordon fans around and/or not enough brave enough to say that they like the driver who is the butt of everyone's gay jokes (no pun intended, really) when they try to diss him. I just hope he actually wins something this year. He's running out of opportunities to win and he's yet to go a season without winning. Hell, he even won the inaugural Brickyard 400 in his rookie year, that's got to count for something. Isn't Homestead the only track he's yet to win at? (I know Phoenix was one, but of course he changed that with his Dale Earnhardt tribute last year).

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

[size=300]Go Gordon![/size]

fix'd

Not enough Gordon fans around and/or not enough brave enough to say that they like the driver who is the butt of everyone's gay jokes (no pun intended, really) when they try to diss him. I just hope he actually wins something this year. He's running out of opportunities to win and he's yet to go a season without winning. Hell, he even won the inaugural Brickyard 400 in his rookie year, that's got to count for something. Isn't Homestead the only track he's yet to win at? (I know Phoenix was one, but of course he changed that with his Dale Earnhardt tribute last year).

Haha, yeah. I'm a Mark Martin fan too. Hope he gets a good shot at the championship next year.

Gordon won last year at the next two track, Talledega and Lowe's, so maybe...

The other track he has never won at is Texas.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Sucks that Carl caused that big wreck and took out Jr. and everyone else :\. Also that last lap was bull... Smith should've won that IMO.

Sucks that Carl caused that big wreck and took out Jr. and everyone else :\. Also that last lap was bull... Smith should've won that IMO.

Yeah... I mean, good for Stewart, but damn, I wanted one of those DEI guys to win that. Even Ragan would have of been ok.

On to next week I guess. Jimmie's house.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I seriously hope that Regen's team appeals that call. That race definitely was his. It was either go below the line or spin Tony out (and to be honest, I'd have had no problem if he did). And then there's the fact that because he did the pass, they relegated him to 18th position, rather than put him back in second.

f475e02ecc.png

I seriously hope that Regen's team appeals that call. That race definitely was his. It was either go below the line or spin Tony out (and to be honest, I'd have had no problem if he did). And then there's the fact that because he did the pass, they relegated him to 18th position, rather than put him back in second.

Ha, yeah right. NASCAR, listen to DEI? Stewart breaking his winless streak makes for a much better story. Such is the beauty of NASCAR. -.-

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Ha, yeah right. NASCAR, listen to DEI? Stewart breaking his winless streak makes for a much better story. Such is the beauty of NASCAR. -.-

Yeah, but now that that story has been made, it gets even better when they strip him of his victory two days later... and then Tony has to work all over again to break a 49-race win streak. At the very least, I hope they give him back second.

f475e02ecc.png

Yeah, but now that that story has been made, it gets even better when they strip him of his victory two days later... and then Tony has to work all over again to break a 49-race win streak. At the very least, I hope they give him back second.

That'd be kinda funny if they took it away a couple days later. Even if he got second that'd still suck, But like you said that the very least he deserves second.

• 1 month later...

Well boys, Jimmie did it.

And Gordon never got his win. :(

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I used to love NASCAR, I used to watch it wheever it wa son TV, my first ever computer game was Nascar 1996 (only because I had some stupid other game thing before that) and I had like 30 little collectible Nascars and when I grew up I wanted to be a NASCAR driver, Kinda odd for a NZer :P

That was when I was little, I still watch it a little today, but not much.

I do still play the games, I like NASCAR 1997/98 better then the NASCAR 09 I have now.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Pssh, NASCAR... As far as I'm concerned, if you want to watch some REAL auto racing, turn to Formula 1.

I don't see the appeal of watching cars go around in an oval 500 times. It doesn't really seem to take much skill, mainly just drafting and then passing at the right moment, the stamina of the driver, and just not getting in a crash. Not to mention, compared to Formula 1, the cars look like toys. In Formula 1 theres sooo many things that the driver can do to the car to get it exactly how he wants. I was watching something the other day about the Ferrari team tweaking the front wing by millimeters to get it to perform the way they wanted it too. The amount of technology that goes into the cars is just amazing, I think. Not to mention, the sound is INSANE! I went to Montreal to see the GP 2 years ago (I think it was 2 years ago... -.-) I remember, the first day when we were on our way to the practice, we were walking to the subway and you could hear the sounds of the cars echoing off the buildings and everything, when they were probably 2+ miles away, on a kind of "island" on the body of water near Montreal. The sound was one of the best parts imo, especially because they had traction control then, and when they would shift you heard this sound like a shotgun being shot, and you could totally feel it in your gut.

I also got to witness this:

We were sitting in the grandstand that is to the left of the camera here. I just happened to look over right when it happened, and just saw an enormous cloud of dust and debris from when he hit the wall, then saw him sliding over across the track. Honestly, I thought he broke his neck seeing how much his head was being jerked around, and it looked like his head was totally limp, but I'm pretty sure all he got was a broken wrist.

Poor Jeff :( I really wanted him to win when he was the pole-sitter at Texas so I could watch him get his first victory of the reason in person. On the other hand, I am really glad Jimmie beat out Carl. He has truly established a racing dynasty.

41166338jj7.png

click my (very bad) siggy for blog

they really need to change the chase at the end of the year

Edwards totally owned everyone with most wins, top 5's, and top 10's

he should have won the chase (yes i'm an Edward's fan for 2 years now)

(840th To 99 Farm. Achieved on February 13th, 2008.) (2942th To 99 Crafting. Achieved on September 9th, 2008.)

(23671th To 99 Magic. Achieved on January 17th, 2009.) (46913th to 99 Hit Points. Achieved on March 20th, 2009.)

(30680th to 99 Range. Achieved on March 21st, 2009.) (66351th to 99 Attack. Achieved on July 8th, 2009.)

(2856th to 99 Herblore. Achieved on August 21st, 2009.) (45985th to 99 Woodcutting. Achieved on November 15th, 2009.)

(6119th to 99 Smithing. Achieved on December 24th, 2009.) (98100th to 99 Cooking. Achieved on January 1st, 2010.)

(63214th to 99 Defence. Achieved on January 30th, 2010.) (122697th to 99 Strength. Achieved on February 11th, 2010.)

(15249th to 99 Prayer. Achieved on March 21st, 2010.) (34209th to 99 Fishing. Achieved on July 7th, 2010.)

(9259th to 99 Summoning. Achieved on July 29th, 2010.) (51712th to 99 Firemaking. Achieved on September 6th, 2010.)

(109036th to 99 Fletching. Achieved on September 28th, 2010.) (15821th to 99 Slayer. Achieved on February 3rd, 2011.)

(11652th to 99 Construction. Achieved on June 18th, 2011.)

personally, I hate it, i'm canadian, and no one I know likes it.

I heard that it was the most popular sport in the us, and that blew my mind, here it's just football/hocky

anyway, when I asked someone who is a diehad nascar fan (not really)

I said that "it was just a bunch of cars driving in a big circle, what's the big deal?"

I was promptly told that it was an oval, not a circle

I left.

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

Pssh, NASCAR... As far as I'm concerned, if you want to watch some REAL auto racing, turn to Formula 1.

I don't see the appeal of watching cars go around in an oval 500 times. It doesn't really seem to take much skill, mainly just drafting and then passing at the right moment, the stamina of the driver, and just not getting in a crash. Not to mention, compared to Formula 1, the cars look like toys. In Formula 1 theres sooo many things that the driver can do to the car to get it exactly how he wants. I was watching something the other day about the Ferrari team tweaking the front wing by millimeters to get it to perform the way they wanted it too. The amount of technology that goes into the cars is just amazing, I think. Not to mention, the sound is INSANE! I went to Montreal to see the GP 2 years ago (I think it was 2 years ago... -.-) I remember, the first day when we were on our way to the practice, we were walking to the subway and you could hear the sounds of the cars echoing off the buildings and everything, when they were probably 2+ miles away, on a kind of "island" on the body of water near Montreal. The sound was one of the best parts imo, especially because they had traction control then, and when they would shift you heard this sound like a shotgun being shot, and you could totally feel it in your gut.

I also got to witness this:

[VID]

We were sitting in the grandstand that is to the left of the camera here. I just happened to look over right when it happened, and just saw an enormous cloud of dust and debris from when he hit the wall, then saw him sliding over across the track. Honestly, I thought he broke his neck seeing how much his head was being jerked around, and it looked like his head was totally limp, but I'm pretty sure all he got was a broken wrist.

Amen to that. I went to the British GP in 06, made the mistake of not taking earplugs. Those cars rooaring past are so loud but so stylish! You can't knock the ability of F1 drivers, its the pinnacle of motorsports for a reason.

On to nascar, not a fan myself, just seems too repetetive. I live fairly near Rockingham speedway in the UK, but never been ::'

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Poor Jeff :( I really wanted him to win when he was the pole-sitter at Texas so I could watch him get his first victory of the reason in person. On the other hand, I am really glad Jimmie beat out Carl. He has truly established a racing dynasty.

I'm tired of Jimmie winning. Period.

I used to love NASCAR, I used to watch it wheever it wa son TV, my first ever computer game was Nascar 1996 (only because I had some stupid other game thing before that) and I had like 30 little collectible Nascars and when I grew up I wanted to be a NASCAR driver, Kinda odd for a NZer :P

That was when I was little, I still watch it a little today, but not much.

I do still play the games, I like NASCAR 1997/98 better then the NASCAR 09 I have now.

I had Nascar '97 on my old comp... now I've got '07, '08, and '09 for PS2.

F1 races are sprints compared to some Nascar races. Remember that. And there's lots of technology is Nascar, too, specially in safety with the new car.

I'll never forget the sound from my first Nascar race. 43 cars coming at you full throttle... the sound of over 35,000 Horsepower was amazing.

they really need to change the chase at the end of the year

Edwards totally owned everyone with most wins, top 5's, and top 10's

he should have won the chase (yes i'm an Edward's fan for 2 years now)

Even if the chase was not in place, Jimmie would have of won the championship. I still agree that it needs changes, or better yet, to be taken out.

personally, I hate it, i'm canadian, and no one I know likes it.

I heard that it was the most popular sport in the us, and that blew my mind, here it's just football/hocky

anyway, when I asked someone who is a diehad nascar fan (not really)

I said that "it was just a bunch of cars driving in a big circle, what's the big deal?"

I was promptly told that it was an oval, not a circle

I left.

Ha, you got owned. They race on triangles and road courses too.

Amen to that. I went to the British GP in 06, made the mistake of not taking earplugs. Those cars rooaring past are so loud but so stylish! You can't knock the ability of F1 drivers, its the pinnacle of motorsports for a reason.

On to nascar, not a fan myself, just seems too repetetive. I live fairly near Rockingham speedway in the UK, but never been ::'

Earplugs? Hm? :P

Why does it seem everyone on Tip.It seems to be in praise of Europe and therefore European sports that you cannot compare because they are different? This thread is called NASCAR for a reason.

Of course you can compare them, they're both motorsports.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

F1 races are sprints compared to some Nascar races. Remember that. And there's lots of technology is Nascar, too, specially in safety with the new car.

I'll never forget the sound from my first Nascar race. 43 cars coming at you full throttle... the sound of over 35,000 Horsepower was amazing.

Tbh, F1 cars revving at 19,000 rpms > 43 Nascars revving at... 9000 rpms ::'

I much prefer the whine of a high revving F1 car, than the low drone of a Nascar.

And ya, I don't really know too much about Nascar, but the technology in F1 is just astounding. Hell, the steering wheel alone is covered in buttons and knobs, that let drivers change things while theyre driving. Some drivers are changing the amount of suspension on the seperate wheels for each turn, and changing the mixture of the fuel and everything. Not to mention the aerodynamics, if you compare cars from the past couple years, its pretty amazing the way they've changed all the wings and everything, even the mirrors to increase aerodynamics.

And also, no offense or anything, but imo F1 driving takes much more skill than Nascar imo. Ya, they've got stamina, but then again, theyre not getting anywhere near the G forces that the F1 drivers are. In that video that I put here earlier, in that corner they're going from around 150 to 40 or so, in maybe... 2 seconds? Thats some crazy G forces, not to mention when they accelerate theyre going from 0-60 in about 2 seconds (I think fastest is 1.9 seconds?) :D

Edit:

Earplugs? Hm? :P

Ya, you pretty much need earplugs going to an F1 event. You'll seriously regret not bringing them, not to mention possible hearing damage :shock: