Complete 2007 Barrows Guide

chenw

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm slightly confused... why exactly do you use prayer pots? It makes no sense to me...perhaps bring one on the off chance you may bless someone...

Because the other option is death.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Yeah I checked out your guide for my first few barrows kills with the stats in my signature... I started messing with the setups and ended with the one that works pretty well for me, I do one trip at a time, ectophial + ship to oo'glog for infinite run and higher HP and prayer (because I'm too lazy to do more quests than the first myreque one, and/or train construction).

Maging with Slayer Dart:

I bring:

Neitiznot Helm

Proselyte Chest

Proselyte Legs

100 or so Rune Arrows (I don't use many per run so I check every once in a while to see how many I have and restock accordingly)

Glory

Zamorak Cape

Rune Gloves (I haven't tested with under rune gloves, so I don't know when you would use mystic gloves)

Slayer Staff

Unholy Book

Mystic Boots (I could probably use my infinite ones but I would like to keep my risks lower =P)

Ring of Life (Safety is #1)

Inv:

200 Deaths

800 Minds

Ectophial

1-2 Prayer Potions (I have done a trip with no prayer potions spa'ed once and it was close, 1-2 doses is average)

Whip (KC in the tunnels so I don't waste precious arrows/runes)

Black D'hide Chest/Legs

Magic Shortbow

50K Coins or so for the charter ship (out of port Phasmatys)(Yes, this is how lazy people who don't feel like getting 2800 coins every time do it =P)

Spade

17-18 Swordfish (Depending on the amount of Prayer Potions)

That is good for one run and I lose very little on average, sometimes making back money even with unlucky chests, (fourth run was a 1m Karils top, got me a nice Dragon Hatchet XD)

I kill:

1st Verac - No prayer I sometimes get hit a lot sometimes barely ever, I kill him first so that my big pool of prayer points isn't drained up very fast, (I leave with 45-38 Prayer Points)

2nd Dharok - I pray melee the whole time, kill him... done.

3rd Karil - I pray range the whole time, don't use a prayer dose if he's under like 25% and just finish him and eat what I must.

4th Guthan - I usually have no prayer points from the first 3 and drink a dose of Prayer potion here, killing him, usually if he's under around 20% I can get him down before he starts draining me a lot.

5th Torag - I don't pray on this guy unless I have leftover prayer points, I just kill him regularly, I try to take advantage of the safespot on the corner of the tomb (he might move out of it but its more safety and time to kill him while I'm safe =))

6th Ahrim - I put on the black D-hide and magic shortbow and spec him, kill him, and keep my health above about 30, not using prayer on this guy either because he doesn't hit too incredibly hard.

Tunnel:

I get 10-11 KC in the end (counting all 6 brothers) I usually end up going past some rats so I kill those for quick KC with a whip, I keep the chest / legs that I would use for whichever brother is in the tunnel on, and I use whip / book. I kill everything the same as in the crypts, but if I am low on swordfish, I usually use pray doses to be safe, and if I have plenty of leftover swordfish I just eat those =).

Verac in the tunnel:

Same thing just I kill Ahrim first because I am not praying on him and he hits fairly low.

When I enter the tunnel I have a whip on and quickly switch to slayer staff and set auto cast slayer dart and can usually kill him if I have extra swordfish, I have never had to use a prayer dose in the tunnels on him.

I usually use fairly little prayer points, this, Torag and Ahrim in the tunnel would be my ideal ones because I don't use prayer on them.

Dharok in the tunnel:

I just do the order above, usually use more prayer doses because in the tunnel I use a bit more prayer points

I'd say this is the worst guy in the tunnel, with Karil coming in 2nd.

Karil in the tunnel:

If I have quite a bit of swordfish left I'll try to kill him without protect range.

As stated earlier, I hate this guy in the tunnel )=

Guthan in the tunnel:

I'm basically forced to drink prayer potions on this guy, usually I won't drink another if he's under 40%

Torag in the tunnel:

I do the same order as above, drinking doses when I have low swordfish just incase, (I have never needed to do this however..)

Ahrim in the tunnel:

I switch out proselyte for black dhide and kill with the whip, not using its spec so I can use the magic shortbow spec =).

Each run from entering the barrows area to searching the chest takes about 6-7 Minutes, with the running and restocking maybe 13-15 Minutes. I don't lose very much money at all as I said earlier, and with maybe one rare drop in 30 Runs worth 500k I'd make about 380k from all those runs, and with more luck comes more money... (Fourth run = a karils top so if I had that luck all the time I'd be making about 1M an hour :lol: )

Yep =) Hope people with stats like mine can do well in there and still not lose too much money, I think that all of my melee stats didn't effect how well I did this, my mage and defense levels affected it a bit, and my range level would help a lot, and it isn't "incredibly" hard to attain, you could probably do this with like 65 Defense, 70 Mage, 70 Range, 70+ HP, 50+ Prayer(Although 52 makes Prayer Potions more beneficial). I liked doing barrows because of me getting hooked on that first lucky drop I guess hehe.

Zekei1.png

99 Slayer... Never gonna trim you up.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

[hide=Slayering Time]Zekei1.png[/hide]

• 3 weeks later...

terrific enormous guide

halt957.png Halt957-Eagle_shot98.gif

notable drops: 1 ARMADYL HILT, 7 armadyl chestplates, 6 armadyl plateskirts, 4 armadyl helmets, 5 bandos tassets, 5 bandos hilts, 6 bandos boots (one solo from minion, another from ls ftl...), 2 sara swords, 2 steam staves, over 25 shards

Barrows: 1 dragon med, 1 verac helm, 1 verac skirt, 1 verac flail, 1 karil top, 1 dh plate, 1 ahrim's top

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?rs2item_id=8966

The item above should be put on all your magic using styles, for multiple reasons.

Pros:

1)+6 Prayer bonus

2)+6 Magic attack and defense bonus

3)+6 Stab attack and defense bonus

Con:

1)Hard to get, must complete Ardourgne Diary 3.

3 Dragon Claws, 60+ Barrows items, 2/4 Gwd Hilts(Bgw & Agw)

Quest Cape, Woodcutting Cape, Cooking Cape, Fletching Cape, Prayer Cape and Hitpoints Cape.

• 2 years later...

Guide put somewhat more up to date. looking for more feedback if possible

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

You incorrectly spelled "introduction" as "intruduction".

A lot of pictures could do with being updated as well as being saved as png files to avoid compression artefacts, as I'm sure you're aware the terrain of the barrows has changed as has the armour, I'm sure you'll get to that in due course.

It's worth noting the possibilities of temple trekking as enough trekking can unlock fast travel from Canifis to the barrows for players who cannot start the Branches of Darkmeyer.

I'm not an efficienado.

FYI, any spirit shields are unlendable so the arcane spirit shield is quite a bad choice. Very nice guide however and definitely sheds some new light on barrows for me. I've also heard that the black salamander is also unaffected my magic bonus (true or no). Also, I always get a KC of 6 because it seems to maximize the secondary items (non barrows armor/weps). 9/10.

You incorrectly spelled "introduction" as "intruduction".

A lot of pictures could do with being updated as well as being saved as png files to avoid compression artefacts, as I'm sure you're aware the terrain of the barrows has changed as has the armour, I'm sure you'll get to that in due course.

It's worth noting the possibilities of temple trekking as enough trekking can unlock fast travel from Canifis to the barrows for players who cannot start the Branches of Darkmeyer.

Duly noted.

Yes, pictures do indeed need upgrading. The pictures were taken before I started using the PNG format. I plan to cut it down to just the smaller pictures too.

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

May I question why you start with dharok?

Taking the way how prayer reduction works into account wouldn't it be best to start with the slowest brothers (which you pray). For me ahrim - dharok - karil - akrisae - verac (out of pray around here) - guthan works best? I'm thinking of moving akrisae to the very start, however sometimes I am out of pray during that brother, so that might mean I have to do karil without pray halfway sometimes....

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I do them in the order of deadliness, Akrisae is not worth first kill, because he simply doesn't do enough damage to warrant using your full prayer pool on him. Dharok and Karil both can deal high amounts of damage without prayer, hence why I always kill those two first.

tim_chenw2.png

I do them in the order of deadliness, Akrisae is not worth first kill, because he simply doesn't do enough damage to warrant using your full prayer pool on him. Dharok and Karil both can deal high amounts of damage without prayer, hence why I always kill those two first.

Yes, but even if you do akrisae as first, you'll have enough prayer left to do dharok, karil & ahrim..

Then they came for me

Personally I would do the ones you use melee on first (Akrisae, Ahrim, Karil) since you need turmoil. Akrisae and Verac together is far more efficient as you save a lot of running time as well, so that's a given.

Since Akrisae + Verac > Ahrim > Karil also has the shortest distance between mounds, that's a good starting point. Then you can move east to Guthan and finally north to Dharok. If your levels aren't high enough to have prayer last this far, you can use a dose of pray pot (which I'm pretty sure beats using barrage) or Storm of Armadyl, which kills Dharok so fast he will never be able to kill you.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

FYI, any spirit shields are unlendable so the arcane spirit shield is quite a bad choice. Very nice guide however and definitely sheds some new light on barrows for me. I've also heard that the black salamander is also unaffected my magic bonus (true or no). Also, I always get a KC of 6 because it seems to maximize the secondary items (non barrows armor/weps). 9/10.

Pure myth. Magic bonus affects pretty much everything you mage and math with. These myths just start when people mage monsters that have such low mage def that you can easily kill them with -10 mage att.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Great guide. I found it very useful. Nice to see you edited the parts raised by other members.

I look forward to reading more guides from you.

Keep up the good work!

Yes, but even if you do akrisae as first, you'll have enough prayer left to do dharok, karil & ahrim..

Yes, but what if you got unlucky and needed more prayer? You'd wish you'd put the barrows where prayer drain didn't matter to last.

I'm not an efficienado.

Put it this way:

If I kill Dharok first, chances of me running out of prayer killing him? EXTREMELY unlikely. Would I run out of prayer on Akrisae? Probably not, but I have seen it happen.

Assume the reverse if I kill Akrisae first.

Now, would Dharok have potential to deal high damage to me when he is low health? Given my history with him (i allowed him to hit me 4 times without prayer in my entire barrows career, not intentionally. He dealth 50+ damage in 3 of them, and he killed me in 2 of those), likely.

Chances of me being owned by Akrisae when I run out of prayer? possible, but much less than running out of prayer on Dharok, even if the chances of that ever happening is slim.

I rarely take unnecessary risks just so I could get a few more runs in over the long run. Because it only takes 1 of those to go wrong to completely undo the benefit the extra runs would bring me.

Oh, because I am maging and that I have max defence, the chances of any brothers, including verac is so low I only ever turn it on when I am clawing Ahrim. The brothers would need to be very lucky AND me being unlucky to need a few more than 1-2 monk fishes for him.

With my current Verac set up, I can do 8 runs of barrows without banking, working on 1 p pot and 10 monkfish. Didnt actually time it. I also don't have soul split, which is why i brought the food

tim_chenw2.png

You'll need ppots anyway, since you should be turming/pietying every brother.

Uhm melee seems way less effective than PPS.. And increased accuracy isn't much for magic there. Only brother I"m meleeing is ahrim.

Because it only takes 1 of those to go wrong to completely undo the benefit the extra runs would bring me.

Well you spawn in canafis, with your amulet.. Really rs can't go "wrong" anymore.

Then they came for me

• 2 months later...

EDIT: Thought OP had forgot to mention the use of black salamanders at barrows.

Considering running barrows anymore is not even half as profitable before the end of free trade, and even less so after free trade was re-introduced (merchanting clans) being cost and time effective is the name of the game.

I also notice you didn't list baskets of strawberries.

It sounds silly, but 25 hp from a basket of strawberries for non-emergency healing > Sharks (which you should still carry, for emergency healing ofc)

It's a real shame that barrows equipment is in the shape it is. It use to be not only an extremely fun style of game play, but profitable as well.

Ah the good ol` days. Sitting on world 2 Falador parks bridge pawning off my newly attained goods...

Edit note: After running what is more than likely, in the mid-upper thousands of barrows runs between 2006-2010, I can testify to the use of black salamanders. When they came out, they were a god send after the ammo had stabilized on the market. Having a decent level of ranged, magic and strength can be taken full advantage of with them.

Edited by deacon377
I may be weird, but I'm saving up to be eccentric!