"N00b skillcapes" : they're also skillcapes!

Demoli

Just to bring up the 'there's no reason to respect someone with a 99 who did it just for the cape', I have to disagree with that. What you can respect is the time it took them to get it. I respect a cooking/fetching cape. Why? Because, haha, I can't get it. My attention span ran out at 80.

And to whom earlier said that they wouldn't respect someone with 99 RC who did it just for the cape... Who cares? They still managed to pull it off - an admirable trait in itself.

cliffside1ra5.png

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first, learn to spell.

second, it's stupid to train a skill just for the cape, I do things in rs because there fun :P

The irony. :lol:

Sorry. Anyway, setting goals and achieving them has its appeal too. Fun is subjective.

The irony... Cause he wrote there in stead of they're? Just wondering lol.

Yes, But shivers is a she.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Um, for those who are saying that getting a 99 just for the skill cape is stupid or whatever, answer this...how is it any different than someone earning enough money to buy a partyhat, santa hat, halloween mask, most 3rd age items, etc. They are training a skill to get a particular cape that they think looks nice, just like other players do repetitive tasks to earn money for a specific item that they want to wear because they think it looks nice.

Seriously, if you're gonna bash someone for "just getting a 99 for a cape" then bash me for "just making money for a white partyhat".

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

Um, for those who are saying that getting a 99 just for the skill cape is stupid or whatever, answer this...how is it any different than someone earning enough money to buy a partyhat, santa hat, halloween mask, most 3rd age items, etc. They are training a skill to get a particular cape that they think looks nice, just like other players do repetitive tasks to earn money for a specific item that they want to wear because they think it looks nice.

Seriously, if you're gonna bash someone for "just getting a 99 for a cape" then bash me for "just making money for a white partyhat".

the party hat serves a purpose, and that is that you can make enough money in rs to afford one. the getting of a skill just for a 99/cape serves no purpose but to show how lame you are, getting a noob 99 because you want a cape and dont want to actually work for a good one in a skill u truly enjoy.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

the party hat serves a purpose, and that is that you can make enough money in rs to afford one. the getting of a skill just for a 99/cape serves no purpose but to show how lame you are, getting a noob 99 because you want a cape and dont want to actually work for a good one in a skill u truly enjoy.

The purpose of a party hat is to show you have enough money to buy one? Uh, no...because your having the party hat means you no longer have that much money, because you spent it on a party hat. And party hats are tanking in value, so it means you're losing money too. Oh, and with the release of lending, it doesn't even show that you're rich anymore, because you could just as easily have borrowed it. Skillcapes can't be lent.

Anyway, if the purpose of a party hat is to show you have 100m, the purpose of a skillcape is to show you have 13m experience. Duh. The difference is that the skillcape also happens to have the highest prayer bonus of any cape in the game and the second-best defensive stats, whereas the party hat has no useful function at all. :ugeek:

And would you tell me how a skillcape shows that you don't want to work to get 99 in a skill? Because I would have assumed it meant exactly the opposite. :roll:

And would you tell me how a skillcape shows that you don't want to work to get 99 in a skill? Because I would have assumed it meant exactly the opposite. :roll:

the getting of a skill just for a 99/cape serves no purpose but to show how lame you are, getting a noob 99 because you want a cape and dont want to actually work for a good one in a skill u truly enjoy.

and thats to the fact that most ppl go for fletch/fm/cook as their first 99s

modmarkl.jpg

the getting of a skill just for a 99/cape serves no purpose but to show how lame you are, getting a noob 99 because you want a cape and dont want to actually work for a good one in a skill u truly enjoy.

Showing, obviously, that the person in question does want to work for their 99, or else they wouldn't go and train it. :wall:

Remind me again of your criterion as to WHY cooking, fletching, and firemaking are the only 3 "n00b capes."

I think that getting 99 in any skill is respectable because even if you buy the materials, you still have to process the stuff which takes awhile.

100% agree. im going for 99 fletching (my first as a level 3 skiller) and even though cheap it still takes a while, (i dont nolife it)

However, I do enjoy the skill. I just find it fun, not a forced thing or boring thing.

boiling_tea.png

Showing, obviously, that the person in question does want to work for their 99, or else they wouldn't go and train it. :wall:

Remind me again of your criterion as to WHY cooking, fletching, and firemaking are the only 3 "n00b capes."

because they are the most common ones. yes, you might say strength has 50k+ members, but str has a purpose. the point of 99 str is so you can hit your ultimate max. the point of 99 fm/cook/fletch is because they are cheap and easy to obtain.

and if the person is willing to do that little to get a 99, they dont deserve it. also, if youre going to put in that effort in the first place, why not just put in more effort and get a good 99 that you really want, not one thats easy to obtain

modmarkl.jpg

because they are the most common ones. yes, you might say strength has 50k+ members, but str has a purpose. the point of 99 str is so you can hit your ultimate max. the point of 99 fm/cook/fletch is because they are cheap and easy to obtain.

and if the person is willing to do that little to get a 99, they dont deserve it. also, if youre going to put in that effort in the first place, why not just put in more effort and get a good 99 that you really want, not one thats easy to obtain

Most common: Strength

Least useful: Herblore/Farming/Slayer/Smithing/Construction/Fishing/Woodcutting/Firemaking/etc.

Fastest to obtain: Thieving/Cooking

Least effort to obtain: Fishing/Woodcutting

Consider. Fletching isn't in ANY of these. Firemaking is only in "Least useful," and it's tied with herblore and construction and farming, which I believe several have said they do respect. (In contrast, cooking actually is useful--it can make 300-400k gp/hr, which is more than most skills.) Cooking falls only under the fastest, and yet it's more expensive than thieving with less xp/hr, but somehow thieving never seems to make it on the list of so-called "n00b skillcapes."

These criteria don't support your claim at all. Even if you worked under some kind of composite system, ranking skills based on a combination of these factors, these three skillcapes that are so disdained probably wouldn't even occupy the top three slots.

Most common: Strength

Least useful: Herblore/Farming/Slayer/Smithing/Construction/Fishing/Woodcutting/Firemaking/etc.

Fastest to obtain: Thieving/Cooking

Least effort to obtain: Fishing/Woodcutting

Consider. Fletching isn't in ANY of these. Firemaking is only in "Least useful," and it's tied with herblore and construction and farming, which I believe several have said they do respect. (In contrast, cooking actually is useful--it can make 300-400k gp/hr, which is more than most skills.) Cooking falls only under the fastest, and yet it's more expensive than thieving with less xp/hr, but somehow thieving never seems to make it on the list of so-called "n00b skillcapes."

These criteria don't support your claim at all. Even if you worked under some kind of composite system, ranking skills based on a combination of these factors, these three skillcapes that are so disdained probably wouldn't even occupy the top three slots.

You have some good arguments, got to admit that. But still, when *I* see one of these 3 capes I think (moreso if it's untrimmed) "meh, what a fool to lvl that skill*. While, when I see a slayer cape, a farming cape, or a herblore cape, I think "wow!". Can't hide my feelings, can I. We can keep argueing the "why's", the result will be thes ame.

Also, if you see someone with wearing trimmed fletch or trimmed cooking cape, there's a 95% chance the other 99 is either cooking for fletching.

I think it all comes down to this: A lot of lvl 50s-100 want a 99, right? Combat 99s might come eventually, but they take a while. So they choose to aim for an easy 99: cooking or fletching, and sometimes firemaking. Why not thieving? Cause it takes full concentration. Cooking is cook x, chill out, bank, cook x etc. Fletching, since they are too stupid to think of faster ways to train (bolt feathering), they use fletch x too.

We can discuss about the usefulness and such for ages, fact is a lot of so called "noobs" (I find someone a noob when he doesnt know anything about the game) have a cooking or flethcing cape.

Now, probably for me the base line: A lot of these "noobs" are idiots. Yes, idiots. They know nothing about the game, and just choose a cheap no thinking way to lvl. It's common to see someone with 99 fletching who hasnt ever been to GWD, or doesnt know you can buy battlestavse from zaff, or ... Basicly, a 7 year old can get 99 cooking or flethcing

On the other hand, getting 99 herblore requirs either smart ways to train, or smart ways to make money, I.E, show you have some knowledge. I have yet to find a 7 year old to get 99 herblore (there probably might be one though). Same applies for slayer, etc...

Note: I have been talking very generally. There are always exceptions. Noobs/7 years old can get rich too. There might also be 99 slayers "noobs" who just nolife slayer, not even doing it efficiently, but they just get if cause they have so much gaming time. (example someone who still trains with guthan, not using his bunyip or combat familiar, someones who uses sharks on all tasks, etc...).

i can now agree you.

as i said before, n00bs arent the ones with the so called n00b skills, but the ones who dont have enought maturity/ game knowledge and want a 99, since i spent most of my time trying to balance my skills.

i can say honestly i only want a 99 cause i think i deserve one for my playing time (2 yers, i know its not a lot).

Note:

example someone who still trains with guthan, not using his bunyip or combat familiar, someones who uses sharks on all tasks, etc...).

the only point i desagree, i've worked really hard to get my guthans set, and although i know bunyp is simply better (it's the true, i face it) and i might get 68 summun later, i'm very bond to my infested set, and probably i will still use it in tasks even after i get bunyp (maybe, if they dont heal properly)

peace

I pity people whose favourite skills are firemaking, cooking and fletching. :wall:

*cough*

please don't pity me. they may not be my favourite skills, but i enjoyed them, especially firemaking.

i have three skill capes - so what if they are the three above that you think are worthless, it still took me a long time to get them. i don't no life, i have a job that takes up 10 hours a day, so i get a few hours a night to play online. i can't get 99 in a week.

it used to annoy me that people would laugh and take the p*ss, but now i am past caring. i am in a skilling clan where i hold my own around 30th of 70-odd in terms of overall levels and i am pleased to have a 70+ account with an overall of 1900+ with a combat level of only 115.

people ought to stop criticising others skills and concentrate on their own - if anyone reading this has 99 fletching and it's their only skill cape, then well done to you, it's still an achievement.

Now, probably for me the base line: A lot of these "noobs" are idiots. Yes, idiots. They know nothing about the game, and just choose a cheap no thinking way to lvl. It's common to see someone with 99 fletching who hasnt ever been to GWD, or doesnt know you can buy battlestavse from zaff, or ... Basicly, a 7 year old can get 99 cooking or flethcing

so i'm an idiot as well for not wanting to do combat? i have been playing for over 4 years and yet i have never been to GWD since it came into being and i don't really intend to. i don't like combat that much, i would rather skill tedious levels and calculate how much exp or how many runs i need to level. does that make me stupid too?

RSN: d35h1_5k4t3r

dalai_farmer.png

I pity people whose favourite skills are firemaking, cooking and fletching. :wall:

*cough*

please don't pity me. they may not be my favourite skills, but i enjoyed them, especially firemaking.

i have three skill capes - so what if they are the three above that you think are worthless, it still took me a long time to get them. i don't no life, i have a job that takes up 10 hours a day, so i get a few hours a night to play online. i can't get 99 in a week.

it used to annoy me that people would laugh and take the p*ss, but now i am past caring. i am in a skilling clan where i hold my own around 30th of 70-odd in terms of overall levels and i am pleased to have a 70+ account with an overall of 1900+ with a combat level of only 115.

people ought to stop criticising others skills and concentrate on their own - if anyone reading this has 99 fletching and it's their only skill cape, then well done to you, it's still an achievement.

so i'm an idiot as well for not wanting to do combat? i have been playing for over 4 years and yet i have never been to GWD since it came into being and i don't really intend to. i don't like combat that much, i would rather skill tedious levels and calculate how much exp or how many runs i need to level. does that make me stupid too?

I didnt mean combat in particular. I mean skills that dont involve any brains. And flethcing, cooking and firemaking are one of these. Buy x lobbies, x swordfish, x sharks and cook, easy as that. Yay, you can caculate how many sharks you need, very very complicated. It's also verry very expensive isnt it! (hell no).

combat can involve no braining too (camping at bandits). I consider people who camp at bandits and have no game knowlegde whatseover noobs too...

*cough*

I didnt mean combat in particular. I mean skills that dont involve any brains. And flethcing, cooking and firemaking are one of these. Buy x lobbies, x swordfish, x sharks and cook, easy as that. Yay, you can caculate how many sharks you need, very very complicated. It's also verry very expensive isnt it! (hell no).

combat can involve no braining too (camping at bandits). I consider people who camp at bandits and have no game knowlegde whatseover noobs too...

So people who don't waste 10 hours researching the fastest ways to level and instead start working on the skill immediately are idiots?

Oh yeah, for that list of least useful 99's, why are smithing and construction there? They have abilities that they obtain at 99. Sure, smithing rune platebodies doesn't make much of a profit, but what if you got hacked and lost everything? Go get 20k for a rune pick and you have full rune.

I has herd, that lesser demons, MAY or may not, drop tormented demons. \:D/ :roll: :x :D :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol:

Due to a typo, I am now stuck with 1k dragon darts and no buyer. Can I has bail out from tip.it plox?

i was just wondering if someone could help me out with treasure trails and since youre talking about helping people i thought you would be a good person to ask

i got a clue to go to the east winch at the digsite wearing certain stuff and bow before i speak to uri. i went there with all the correct equipment and bowed but nothing happened. What am i doing wrong?

i was just wondering if someone could help me out with treasure trails and since youre talking about helping people i thought you would be a good person to ask

i got a clue to go to the east winch at the digsite wearing certain stuff and bow before i speak to uri. i went there with all the correct equipment and bowed but nothing happened. What am i doing wrong?

well, first this isnt the right forum, but oh well;

make sure you are wearing everything, have your clue in the inv and use the correct emote. maybe ur standing in the wrong place,

try checking tip it guides and the correct threads\forums (try rsof if needed) i'll not answer for future questions like this one

GL and peace

Also, if you see someone with wearing trimmed fletch or trimmed cooking cape, there's a 95% chance the other 99 is either cooking for fletching.
Uh...that's not actually true. #-o

I think it all comes down to this: A lot of lvl 50s-100 want a 99, right? Combat 99s might come eventually, but they take a while. So they choose to aim for an easy 99: cooking or fletching, and sometimes firemaking. Why not thieving? Cause it takes full concentration.
You should take firemaking off your list, then. It takes full concentration too.

I mean skills that dont involve any brains. And flethcing, cooking and firemaking are one of these. Buy x lobbies, x swordfish, x sharks and cook, easy as that. Yay, you can caculate how many sharks you need, very very complicated. It's also verry very expensive isnt it! (hell no).

That's not at all unique to those three skills. Almost every skill is like that--after all, all it really takes to get 99 in any skill is a lot of grinding, with very few exceptions. I can agree with you on firemaking, since burning maple logs is almost universally the best method for training, unless you're pretty rich. But there are a lot of choices for cooking or fletching as to how to train, not to mention the buying and selling involved, which means you need to watch the market to some degree. The real brainless skills are more like agility. There's no money involved at all in agility--no input, no output. All you need to consider is how fast you train, which means for anyone going for 99, there's really only one method to choose from: the fastest one. But with cooking, and to a lesser degree fletching, anytime you get faster, you also spend more money. You need to do some thinking if you want to find the method that's best for you.

We can discuss about the usefulness and such for ages, fact is a lot of so called "noobs" (I find someone a noob when he doesnt know anything about the game) have a cooking or flethcing cape.

On the other hand, getting 99 herblore requirs either smart ways to train, or smart ways to make money, I.E, show you have some knowledge. I have yet to find a 7 year old to get 99 herblore (there probably might be one though). Same applies for slayer, etc...

You have some good arguments, got to admit that. But still, when *I* see one of these 3 capes I think (moreso if it's untrimmed) "meh, what a fool to lvl that skill*. While, when I see a slayer cape, a farming cape, or a herblore cape, I think "wow!". Can't hide my feelings, can I. We can keep argueing the "why's", the result will be thes ame.
Having 99 in a skill doesn't mean you're an expert at the skill, it just means you trained it a lot. I know a great deal of 99 fishers who are totally clueless about how to train fishing. Same with woodcutting. I've seen 99 woodcutters recommend maple trees for training. That is n00by. In this you are correct, then, in pointing out that having a skillcape does not imply intelligence. Your error is in suggesting that it implies n00biness. I will acknowledge that a subset of players with 99 cooking got 99 cooking because they saw it as an "easy" skillcape. But it's wrong to assume that all cooking skillcapers are n00bs, just as it is wrong to assume that all woodcutting skillcapers know everything about woodcutting. People need to be given the benefit of the doubt, and if you automatically peg someone with an untrimmed fletching cape as a fool, then you're the one who's a n00b. :shame:

You need to explore the reasons for your prejudice, and if you can't find any good ones, then you need to throw that prejudice away. Players should be judged based on what they say...not based on what they wear. If the person with 99 firemaking tells you they burned willow logs all the way and they're proud of it, then you can peg them as n00by. But until then, how do you know they didn't have it since before skillcapes were released and they've always loved the skill on its own merits? How do you know they aren't in the top 100 firemakers in the hiscores with enough xp to get 99 three times over? How do you know they didn't get the cape months and months ago when they had the n00by attitude we've discussed, and have since shed their n00biness with experience and decided not to go for another 99? Most importantly, how do you know they don't just like training firemaking? You might be surprised at how many players who do. It's not fair to generalize. A firemaking skillcape doesn't mean a player is an expert, nor does it mean a player is a n00b. It simply means the player has 13,034,431 or more experience in firemaking.

Meh im just going to say it.

Theres alot of debate as to whether these skillcapes are noob or not, and whether other skill capes should be put on the list or not.

Im taking the view from an experienced player who has played long enough to have a valid opinion in terms of debating whether something is a leet achievement or not. (considering this is a debate about whether something should be praised by others or not cared about)

Skill capes mean JACK all to any player who has bothered to grind out a long skill. In my eyes achievements can be seen in players overall level, with their ability to spread their skills rather then just focus on one.

Achievements have changed over time. Before having a 99 skill was seen as quite a feat. Now.. it is not at all. It is totally a rookie thing. Infact seeing a player with a higher total level over some noob with 3 skill capes and a lower total level shows that the player is more experienced in the game.

No.. getting 99 firemaking doesnt make you a note worthy player. Infact I myself am not a noteworthy player. The players that have a high total level (im talking 2300 +, 2000 isnt even high anymore) are the real pros. The players that are maxed out with the desire to play on are champions.

Your punsy firemaking cape does nothing to impress anyone who counts, so it should be. Infact I prefer seeing an obby cape over some noobie skill cape because at least the person doesnt waste their time getting a 99 that doesnt mean anything to anyone.

However, if your a player that plays for yourself then this shouldnt be an issue. Im guessing because you posted this thread you genuinely care about what other people think of you. So if you want to be leet in this game, then you better start earning some major GP and experience in a variety of skills. That of course takes time, but in the mean time you should stop caring about the noob comments, because although they are TOTALLY VALID, you know that one day you will be able to call players like yourself noobs.

was that too harsh? honesty sucks.

Jaskkes.png

Because its stupid to train a skill just because you want the cape, you should train it because you actually enjoy it, not to have 99 in a skill with almost no uses.

Could not have siad it better myself. Training for the cape or status is bloody pointless!

Hence why i got fishing, love it soo much that it took me a year! And I still fish!

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Even on my death bed, I'll bare-hand that bloody shark.

Meh im just going to say it.

Theres alot of debate as to whether these skillcapes are noob or not, and whether other skill capes should be put on the list or not.

Im taking the view from an experienced player who has played long enough to have a valid opinion in terms of debating whether something is a leet achievement or not. (considering this is a debate about whether something should be praised by others or not cared about)

Skill capes mean JACK all to any player who has bothered to grind out a long skill. In my eyes achievements can be seen in players overall level, with their ability to spread their skills rather then just focus on one.

Achievements have changed over time. Before having a 99 skill was seen as quite a feat. Now.. it is not at all. It is totally a rookie thing. Infact seeing a player with a higher total level over some noob with 3 skill capes and a lower total level shows that the player is more experienced in the game.

No.. getting 99 firemaking doesnt make you a note worthy player. Infact I myself am not a noteworthy player. The players that have a high total level (im talking 2300 +, 2000 isnt even high anymore) are the real pros. The players that are maxed out with the desire to play on are champions.

Your punsy firemaking cape does nothing to impress anyone who counts, so it should be. Infact I prefer seeing an obby cape over some noobie skill cape because at least the person doesnt waste their time getting a 99 that doesnt mean anything to anyone.

However, if your a player that plays for yourself then this shouldnt be an issue. Im guessing because you posted this thread you genuinely care about what other people think of you. So if you want to be leet in this game, then you better start earning some major GP and experience in a variety of skills. That of course takes time, but in the mean time you should stop caring about the noob comments, because although they are TOTALLY VALID, you know that one day you will be able to call players like yourself noobs.

was that too harsh? honesty sucks.

Are you saying having a low total level with a skillcape is worse than having a low total level without a skillcape? That's dumb. I think what you're saying is that no skillcape is worthy of respect on its own, in which cooking, fletching, and firemaking aren't unique in any meaningful way. :notalk: