Mousekeys...Are the Legit?

wakka102

This is a discussion (or debate rather) on whether or not mousekeys are legal to use in the runescape world.

I have recently stumbled upon mousekeys. I'm sure plenty of common pc users have used/seen/heard of them. The demonstration I saw used the combination Ctrl+2+5. Pushed in that order at a rapid pace allows you to withdraw you're essence quickly and move you're mouse to you're graahk (or run location), saving a good 2 seconds and guaranteeing that you click the "withdraw all" everytime. Many times I'll misclick on the "x" or "10" option and have to spend several more seconds on it.

However, I realized that the possibilities for mousekeys can be very promising. I have not studied into mousekeys but I'll bet their is a combination you could use that if pressed rapidly, could drop an entire inventory of items in half the time it would take you to use a mouse! (inventory of granite,logs, etc.).

Now for my question. Would this be considered macroing or against any of the rules or regulations of runescape? I've reviewed the rules in the "3rd party software" and a few other sections and find nothing that says items used on the keyboard rather than a mouse are against the rules. It only refers to third party software, which this of course is not, its merely something done on a keyboard. It's still me playing, just using a different utility to play it with.

Also, for some of the more hardcore gamers out there, I know there are keyboards that have programmable keys, or keys that are used in whatever function you place on them. This function can be a combination of keys or a single key. Would it be considered macroing to place this Ctrl+2+5 combination or any other of the sort onto a single key. Meaning I would move and withdraw the item with 1 button press rather than 3!

My personal view is that it is legitimate and I cannot find any reason to support that it is against the rules. I'd like to see what everybody has to offer. Maybe their is a definite answer?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they're against the rules.

I use them all the time, so I hope not.

7,436th to 99 fishing on July 13, 2008

[hide=Quotes that I lol'd at]

the day the fantastic four come into runescape, i will eat my socks.

what kind of topic is this. ihaven't read it yet

but i now it must be stupid.

[/hide]

If you set the keys to move to a specific place then yes it's classed as a utility to give you an unfair advantage, if they're set automatically by the computer/laptop as default then no, it's perfectly legal.

If you set the keys to click is specific places then yes it's classed as a utility to give you an unfair advantage, if they're set automatically by the computer/laptop as default then no, it's perfectly legal.
could you elaborate on that? I guess I don't fully understand how the keys work. is the Ctrl+2+5 combination legal? the only thing I clicked was the enable the mousekeys to work to test out this combination with runecrafting. I have yet to figure out how they work exactly ::'

If you're hitting the key yourself then it's fine
Fair enough, but is it ok to change the location of keys on the keyboard to make them easier to reach?

It really depends. If they're being used to replace either a broken mouse or a busted touchpad, then they should be legal. If you're not, then it should be outlawed. Only problem is that the program can't tell which scenario is the likely cause, so it'll probably get outlawed.

From there, we enter a huge gray area -- does it really count as third party?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

What do you guys think about this sittuation?

I don't have mouse keys because I use a modded version of Windows Vista which as had it removed. Would it be against the rules to use a software which does the same thing as mouse keys, although it does allow me to choose which key does what, which I think mouse key does not allow.

OT:

I believe that mouse keys ins't against the rules, but we never know :| I'm kinda afraid of using it and then ending up banned. :ohnoes:

EDIT: I just remembered something. A player ranked on the top 100 told me that mousekeys where perfectly legal, and that he used them for many things, such as droping ores when powermining or selecting bones when training prayer at a gilded altar.

There's also a thread on RSOF telling you how to apply mousekeys to certain skills. Of course this does not prove they're legal.

Lider_V.png

Well if a monkey could do it then it'd be legit. I imagine moving the keys wouldn't be legit due to the fact that not everyone knows how to do it. Also it gives an unfair advantage to the people who don't. Either way don't do it if it increases speed significantly because they have macro detection monitors and the incased speed will red flag you and well end in a possible ban.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

wakka102 I edited my post, re-read it.
I'm sorry but I dont see a change from your post and the one I quoted

If you manually set where the hotkeys move the cursor then it's against the rules as you're not physically moving the mouse every time, it's simply "jumping" to an x-y position.

Some guy I remember posting on the RSOF suffered from serious arthritis and wasn't allowed to type as it would make it worse, thus had to use "speech typing software" that automatically typed for him and Jagex issued him with a warning, that's how harsh they are with the rules.

they have macro detection monitors

They really don't :-#

I got banned for "macroing" when I was getting 99 Magic weeks after I trained from 1-99 (I did it all at once took a few weeks), even though I was casting "Tele-Other" on my friends, player mods and some Jagex mods at the time (back when they could be interacted with), I can't appeal it either as they have "no evidence" (it actually says that).

wakka102 I edited my post, re-read it.
I'm sorry but I dont see a change from your post and the one I quoted

If you manually set where the hotkeys move the cursor then it's against the rules as you're not physically moving the mouse every time, it's simply "jumping" to an x-y position.

Some guy I remember posting on the RSOF suffered from serious arthritis and wasn't allowed to type as it would make it worse, thus had to use "speech typing software" that automatically typed for him and Jagex issued him with a warning, that's how harsh they are with the rules.

they have macro detection monitors

They really don't :-#

well the mousekeys do appear to make the mouse jump from location to location but it could just be moving quickly. Do you know for sure? could you try them out and tell me? they come standard on any windows computer I believe (dont know about macs). I know of many people that use mousekeys now that I ask about them lol.

The jump the key makes when you hold ctrl and hit 4,2,6, or 8 seems to be a predetermined distance. I have no idea how to modify that disstance but it jumps a nch or so each time you do it

jmodconfirm.png

The mod gives a definitive 'Yes' answer in the middle of the quote ::'

awesome ::' however even with mods its hard to tell...

Well if a monkey could do it then it'd be legit. I imagine moving the keys wouldn't be legit due to the fact that not everyone knows how to do it. Also it gives an unfair advantage to the people who don't. Either way don't do it if it increases speed significantly because they have macro detection monitors and the incased speed will red flag you and well end in a possible ban.
if that were the case them mousekeys would also be against the rules, not everybody knows how to use them but they do come standard on all PC's running windows. As well as if you go into your keyboard preferences you can change the function of keys on the keyboard. Thats standard on all PC's as well but not everybody knows how to do them.

[hide=]

jmodconfirm.png

Bet if you ask another 10 Mods they all wont say that it's legal.

[/hide]

I'm guessing as it was in the maxed out forum, they actually did their research before answering for once, i doubt they want their highest players banned for using them ::'

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

[hide=]
jmodconfirm.png

[/hide]

I'm guessing as it was in the maxed out forum, they actually did their research before answering for once, i doubt they want their highest players banned for using them ::'

maxed out forum? I thought that was just a silly rumor...

What 3 hit u posted pretty much sums it up, but about 2 years ago my friend got perma banned (repealed a week later) for "macroing" when in reality he just got really good with mousekeys

Personally, I've used them for attaching arrowheads to shafts, making darts, and alching, and I haven't had any penalty

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

What 3 hit u posted pretty much sums it up, but about 2 years ago my friend got perma banned (repealed a week later) for "macroing" when in reality he just got really good with mousekeys

Personally, I've used them for attaching arrowheads to shafts, making darts, and alching, and I haven't had any penalty

alright but does the jump that is made while holding ctrl down make a difference in the legality of it (since thats what I would use in rc banking). nobody has really summed that up for me

[hide=]
jmodconfirm.png

[/hide]

maxed out forum? I thought that was just a silly rumor...

Nope i friend of mine who recently maxed has access to it. The questions and answers in there i would think are more researched than the general mod browing the forums.

So if you ever did happen to get a warning for using them, i'd show them that quote to prove your innocence.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I don't know how to use them, though I have heard alot about them, can people use them to alch? If so, I have heard of them.

Anyone care to explain? Or is it something which should be kept under wraps?