ScapeRune - A RS Webcomic by Yours Truly

Princess Viola

Along the lines of the thought provided by Nadril, here's another good one...

http://drmcninja.com (I go there myself, so I can certify it personally as being safe.)

... which is entitled, "The Adventures Of Dr. McNinja"... Enjoy reading it. 8-)

~D. V. "Comics need to have good humor." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, what is with all the people saying I used Paint. I used Paint.NET. It's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROGRAM. (http://getpaint.net

By the way, I actually hate Cyanide and Happiness.

C&H often bases their jokes around a play on words... maybe even it's over your head? (Which, is saying something. C&H is so easy to get).

What web comics do you like.

God, what is with all the people saying I used Paint. I used Paint.NET. It's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROGRAM. (http://getpaint.net

C&H often bases their jokes around a play on words... maybe even it's over your head? (Which, is saying something. C&H is so easy to get).

This, this, this, and this.

This, this, this, and this.

So bad web comics then (with the exception of dino comics), got it. Not going to expect much out of someone who likes CAD and XKCD after all. Two of the worst web comics ever. :?

Sure, Paint.Net is a different program the Microsoft Paint, but in the way that you just used it, it is no different at all. By the looks of it you used no features at all, other than pen tool/paint bucket.

So you can put that card back up your sleeve.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

^But less user friendly. heh, I love this Paint.Net v GIMP v Photoshop argument :P

I have enough proof that pdn sucks. I haven't seen one decent sig made with it.

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

"Blood runs thicker, oh were thick as thieves you know"

-Carl Barât

^But less user friendly. heh, I love this Paint.Net v GIMP v Photoshop argument :P

I have enough proof that pdn sucks. I haven't seen one decent sig made with it.

For what he wants to do, which is create a simple cartoon comic. Paint.net is fine, it just needs work put in to ensure the quality's still fine.

I should add in that you seriously need to know the meaning of a punchline and, whatever you do, don't look to CAD for advice.

In CAD largely B^Uckly's work goes something like this

Frame 1: Setup

Frame 2: Setup

Frame 3: Punchline

Frame 4: Explaining the Punchline

Or if he's really frisky he might even slip loose the punchline in Frame 2, and a few times I've seen it in Frame 1 as well.

What you need to do is look to a comic such as Penny Arcade for good punchlines.

20081110.jpg

Penny arcade switches their setup and delivery from comic to comic, but usually do this:

Frame 1: Setup

Frame 2: Setup

Frame 3: Punchline

Part of delivering a good joke is understanding your target audience. For example, most gamers are aware that in games with custom content abilities most likely there will be someone, somewhere, who makes a penis. It's a law, or sort. We also know that the media loves to over exaggerate when it comes to sexuality and video games (Oblivion getting "M" rating, Hot coffee in GTA). All of this is public domain knowledge among gamers. So, for a comic, one could do something like this

Frame 1: Child at the computer playing a game, door is opening.

Frame 2: Mother walks in the room and is shielding the child's eyes shouting "don't look at that honey!"

Frame 3: Picture of a "new" spore box, rated M.

It's not that funny, I know. And I apologize, I'm not a cartoonist nor am I very funny. However it follows the same setup that penny arcade does. Setup, setup, punchline.

Not sure why I'm typing this all, I doubt you'll listen or even understand.

[hide=Image hidden during quoting, click to view...]bleed.gif[/hide] Not only is this an accurate depiction of my reaction to your site/comics, it is more entertaining and of better quality.
Uhm, that could be argued with. Personally, I think the graphical quality of your image is worse than that of what the person who started this thread decided to make. Seriously, dude, add some considerable details. 'Cel-shading' and paint fills, too. :roll:

~D. V. "Yuuuuuuck!" Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

The Point

Your head.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

[hide=Image hidden during quoting, click to view...]bleed.gif[/hide] Not only is this an accurate depiction of my reaction to your site/comics, it is more entertaining and of better quality.
Uhm, that could be argued with. Personally, I think the graphical quality of your image is worse than that of what the person who started this thread decided to make. Seriously, dude, add some considerable details. 'Cel-shading' and paint fills, too. :roll:
You can't be serious D_V.
Nope, I'm serious. :P ... Go read "The Adventures Of Dr. McNinja", which happens to use such a style of shading on its' frames. At least then the spurting blood, the room, and other elements would all look half-reasonable, instead of looking like a 2-year-old scribbled it... -.-

~D. V. "Yep, I'm a critic." Devnull

Thread is officialy gold. Since it has D.V.
We wish. :roll:

I'm just trying to be serious about my comments and criticism, in an attempt to help both of those cartoonists come up with far better versions... Versions with a quality level that at least runs comparably to stuff I read daily... Call me crazy for being serious, if you like. :geek:

~Mr. D. V. "Heck, I insult myself sometimes." Devnull

Is there anything higher than gold? Platinum perhaps? Muur? Lord this thread has gotten from amazing to better in a few short posts.

I mean, D_V has to be doing this for [cabbage]s and giggles.

Is there anything higher than gold? Platinum perhaps? Muur? Lord this thread has gotten from amazing to better in a few short posts.

I mean, D_V has to be doing this for [cabbage] and giggles.

Nope, I've been forgetting the laughter. We already both agree that they have been drawing disgraceful art. I would just like to see them improve. :thumbup:

~D. V. "Why does everyone think I'm up to something, when I'm really not?" Devnull

(p.s.: I've been getting all the LOLs I want over in "Countdown From 15K"... Maybe you'd like to come join us? Personally, I've had it with people de-railing this thread, just to get me to answer stuff.)