[1st Rls Published] Should i develop this? Please Help Me..

eKKiMetje

Update: First Release of the tool!

It's available at my blog.

http://www.rdtx.eu/quickmenu

Hi,

First, let me introduce myself.

I am a Belgian student which is studying Informatics.

And i am 17 years old. Playing RuneScape for over 4 years.

I used to use SwiftSwitch and later on SwiftKit. But for some reason it stopped working for me.

So now i returned back to FireFox. However i don not have the high score lookup and all those other useful add-ons.

So i started thinking. And came to a little idea. To make a little tool

But of course there was one problem... Does it apply to the RuneScape Rules?

So i started reading... The main topic a read about 20 times is this on:

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/viewarti ... le_id=2077

But the tool i want to make does not brake any of those rules! :-)

Ok time to start programming...

After a bit of programming and testing i decided that the Tool Window should take as less space as possible.

And only should be shown when needed.

After you press a hotkey like CTRL + S

you get this little screen:

idzjtl.png

After that you can start using it.

2gxe5iv.png

The GFX are not good yet these need to improve a lot!

I just want to know..

Do YOU like the Project?

Are YOU interested in using it?

do YOU think it could be useful?

do YOU think that i should continue Developing it?

And Why?

Your Sincerely

eKKiMetje

Update:

So i started developing..

Layout changed a bit..

At the moment i got this working..

p6Zk268.png

HiScore Lookup.. Friend of me who just started playing..

r9Eq459.png

Monster lookup..

z7Zx607.png

Price Check.. Gets info from GE!

Still lots of work to do on GFX =(

This will be for next version.. first want all the code done :)

If you have extra features, good improving ideas please post them!

i need them :D

Blog online.

http://www.rdtx.eu/quickmenu

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nifty little thing, although there are others out there. Does it really overlap the RS screen? That would be even better, but questionably legal (and impossible to detect by Jagex).

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

You may have to go through Jagex and look through there Rules before connecting a program directly to their site (the highscores and such).

This is fine. What he's doing is on the idea of the Tip.It Microhelper.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

You may have to go through Jagex and look through there Rules before connecting a program directly to their site (the highscores and such).

Third party software that displays pages/content from our website(s), and that has specific features (i.e. toolkits) must not be used to access our website unless that software conforms with all of the other rules, and the following additional rules

Stated like that on the RS Homepage.

this tool is followed by all the other and additional rules so it falls in the UNLESS category...

That's a nifty little thing, although there are others out there. Does it really overlap the RS screen? That would be even better, but questionably legal (and impossible to detect by Jagex).

Yes it's planned to overlap the RS Screen but can be simple be closed and reopened by the HotKey CTRL+S

Ah I see.

It would be pretty nifty if you could make it available for Flock browsers ::' I don't use firefox.

Since i am programming it in VB.NET it would be a stand-alone Application and is NOT browser related =)

If you're programming it in VB.NET, then I've got a couple of questions:

• [*:21dwq60s]Are you going to multi-thread?

[*:21dwq60s]Why Ctrl+S? If you RegisterHotKey and make it global then won't it interfere with other programs that may be running such as Microsoft Word?

[*:21dwq60s]How are you going to make sure it does not interfere with the speed of RS play?

[*:21dwq60s]How are you going to make it always on top?

[*:21dwq60s]What VB are you using? What .NET framework will be needed?

This is all from a rookie vb.net-er so some of the questions may have an obvious answer :P I also can't see anything against the rules, so good luck with the project!

Jcfc.jpeg

Thanks everybody for the sigs | 3,956 to 99 fishing | King of BsK 18/09/08 - 18/10/08

Chelsea Supporter | CD Supporter | AfterShock Member

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Cotton Traders

Now what the hell are you waitin' for? After me, there shall be no more, so for one last time, make some noise.

Are you going to multi-thread?

I do not see why i should use multi-threading.. If i come to any place where it is really needed then i will use it!

Why Ctrl+S? If you RegisterHotKey and make it global then won't it interfere with other programs that may be running such as Microsoft Word?

Thats indeed true.. But could not think about another hotkey yet.. But i am thinking about let you specify yourself which hotkey you want to use.

How are you going to make sure it does not interfere with the speed of RS play?

Since it is a small application the chance it would interfere the speed of RS. it would be using mich lesser resources then RS'ing and watching a youtube video at the same time.

How are you going to make it always on top?

There are a few examples on the World Wide Web how to do that. However to do that with RS is little more complicated.

What VB are you using? What .NET framework will be needed?

Currently i am using VB2005 (VB8) with the .NET 2.0 Framework. i will refuse to high user Frameworks at the moment because they are a little buggy..

Are you going to multi-thread?

I do not see why i should use multi-threading.. If i come to any place where it is really needed then i will use it!

Why Ctrl+S? If you RegisterHotKey and make it global then won't it interfere with other programs that may be running such as Microsoft Word?

Thats indeed true.. But could not think about another hotkey yet.. But i am thinking about let you specify yourself which hotkey you want to use.

How are you going to make sure it does not interfere with the speed of RS play?

Since it is a small application the chance it would interfere the speed of RS. it would be using mich lesser resources then RS'ing and watching a youtube video at the same time.

How are you going to make it always on top?

There are a few examples on the World Wide Web how to do that. However to do that with RS is little more complicated.

What VB are you using? What .NET framework will be needed?

Currently i am using VB2005 (VB8) with the .NET 2.0 Framework. i will refuse to high user Frameworks at the moment because they are a little buggy..

They're all fair points :) And yeah, about the always on top thing, I meant in full-screen HD.

Jcfc.jpeg

Thanks everybody for the sigs | 3,956 to 99 fishing | King of BsK 18/09/08 - 18/10/08

Chelsea Supporter | CD Supporter | AfterShock Member

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Cotton Traders

Now what the hell are you waitin' for? After me, there shall be no more, so for one last time, make some noise.

If it doesn't go against any rules, yes, keep developing it. I'd probably use it if it can be used in Runescape's Fullscreen mode. It gets annoying switching modes to search highscores, or for monster stats etc.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I think this goes against the rules as "Third Party Programs". You aren't allowed to use them on Runescape. :P

It does not interfere with teh game, gove any advantages that would not normally be possible (like when you could load worlds that were full without refreshing even though you could do it manualy with a few tweaks to your browser settings), and it dosen't make constant requests of the RS site (like the old sigs that spammed the highscores continualy).

I won't use it (well, probably won't), but then I dont use anything like that. I am waiting for someone to make something that will allow me to hover my mouse over something, hit a hotkey, and have a page with information load. If I need to view 2 windows (maybe a guide during ME2, or a map), then I wither dula screen or use a printer, or suck it up and use tabs.

Idealy I would want to be able to click people in game and look up their highscores (as opposed to a hot key), but that woudl reqire running a corrupted client (since that sort of feture would have to add code into the client program), and even if the servers allowed it, and Vista let a java program open webpages (not likely), there would still be a bunch of legal implictions since there would definatly be some reverse engineering in there. Maybe Jagex will add that particular feture someday.

Anyways, good luck. Many people have already said it does not break the rules and their right. When its done I'll think about using it.

*SIGH* how many times do I have to repeat myself: the definition of their "3rd party software" is completely wrong: actually internet explorer and firefox are also 3rd party software too.. And hence actually that whole rule can be trashed. But sadly JAGEX just removes my messages if I post that simple sentence at the forums. (THey don't bother giving any counter argument or something, they just removed it - This makes me SO DAMN ANGRY)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

*SIGH* how many times do I have to repeat myself: the definition of their "3rd party software" is completely wrong: actually internet explorer and firefox are also 3rd party software too.. And hence actually that whole rule can be trashed. But sadly JAGEX just removes my messages if I post that simple sentence at the forums. (THey don't bother giving any counter argument or something, they just removed it - This makes me SO DAMN ANGRY)

Also, Im wondering if "third party" includes software you write yourself, since technically you're part of one of the first two partys. I have the programming knowledge to build macros/small bots yet I probably wouldnt be allowed to write them. My bots would require me to sit at the computer (for randoms), include realistic mouse movements, small pauses to simulate me pausing once in a while, and because I would have to write it first, theres no time benifit either. Its just saving me from hurting my wrists too much and its a great excuse to train my programming skills.

However I doubt jagex would accept home-written software like this, and it would still be pretty stupid since its impossible to defend that you used your own program.

Legal? It might be, since jagex always refers to third party software

Ethical? Yes. No advantages given (well besides the lack of pain really, but that shouldnt be part of the game in the first place), only disadvantages for having to build, test and tweak the software. Mouse keys are more abusive and require no programming.

Stupid? Definitly.

The idea looks great, an area to write and save notes would be a nice addition.

I've always shied away from SS/SK because it had much more content than I needed. Something simple like this would be great.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

Will it give real time GE updates? If so I'd use it.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012