video game products - a major untapped marketing potential?

ixfd64

There is something that has kept me wondering for some time now. It's a bit of a rant, but here goes.

It seems there aren't many video game-themed products in existence compared to TV-themed or storybook-themed stuff. It is always the other stuff that dominates the market. Granted, films are much more common than video games, but I'm surprised that there are so few game-related products outside of the digital realm.

It's often accepted that Mario is the most recognized video game character, so I'll use him as an example. The Mario franchise is currently the best-selling video game franchise of all time, with the original Super Mario Bros. being the top selling game of all time. At over 40 million copies sold, it is the Titanic of video games. There is also Tetris, the Dark Knight equivalent at 33 million copies and Wii Sports, the Star Wars counterpart at 30.87 million copies. This is not to say that such products do not exist. However, we rarely see any video game merchandise in stores like Walgreens or Costco. Things like Nintendo-themed candy do (or did) exist, but you have to know where to look for them. I have seen such candies in stores myself only twice. In fact, there are many Nintendo-themed products in existence, but they are rarely seen in "offline" stores.

In comparison, products that aren't based on video games seem much more popular. Walk into any old toy store and you will see a bunch of Harry Potter and Disney Princess items. However, where's the Mario stuff? Chances are that you won't find anything related to that famous plumber with blue overalls.

IMO, this is rather silly. Take the Disney Princess line, for example. The items are almost ubiquitous in the toy sections. There are many books, toys, and DVDs related to those characters. Now, I'm pretty sure that Mario is more well-known than the Disney princesses. We frequently hear people talk about the Super Smash Bros. series, but we rarely hear people discuss the former. In fact, a Google search for "Super Mario" returns over four times as many results as "Disney princess." The actual number of Mario-related websites is even higher since most people refer to Mario as just "Mario" and not "Super Mario." You'd expect more Mario-related stuff in a toy store than that stuff, right? Wrong!

In addition, the Disney Princess line is aimed towards young girls, while video games are aimed towards the younger generation in general. Of course, video games are not played purely by the younger generation, but it is relatively uncommon to see the 30+ crowd playing video games. While very few people with the Y chromosome are interested in the Disney Princess line, an increasing number of girls are gaining interest in video games. This would also imply that there would be more game-related products, but apparently, it is not the case.

Also, we have many theme parks based on fairy tales and films. There is Disneyland and Universal Studios, all of which are mainly based on films. However, there are no theme parks based purely on video games. I wouldn't mind taking my future children to a Nintendoland, because I'm just that geeky! :) (Something tells me a Nintendo-themed amusement park would be a big hit in Japan.)

This comes back to my original question: is there any reason why major game companies aren't selling more video game-related items? Or are the game companies just not realizing a huge marketing potential?

I've asked this question on a few other forums that I visit, and I was told that it was because most people think it's "nerdy" to buy video game merchandise. I disagree. I know many people who are proud games, and they often play video games in public. There's nothing "nerdy" about that.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having some Mario-themed coasters or a Donkey Kong mousepad. :D

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hi ... sing_films

Lord of the Rings > The Dark Knight, so Tetris = LotR, both of which I love, and thus I win at life.

Actually a good analogy there though.

Nintendo has a store in New York City called Nintendo World, I was there this past summer. They had t-shirts, stuffed characters, and whatnot. I got myself a Link shirt, and since then, I've seen people at school with Rock Band and GoW shirts. Eh. Maybe it's the start of something.

I think a reason is video games are apparently geeky (Though that's definitely changing), while movies aren't. Also, what is there that game companies could do? There are some video game-based movies, just as there are movie-based video games, though there are definitely more of the latter.

I think you'll find that a lot of the stuff you dream of (DK mousepads, etc.) already exist - They just aren't as popular. ;)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I agree, there isn't that much stuff around. Some companies sell stuff ,and Valve I know have a store, they sell headcrab hats and such :P

I can see more video game based stuff coming in the future though, however expensive/tacky it is.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Nintendo fanboy much? Seriously, what about final fantasy (besides 7 because that one is already popular enough), sonic, god of war, metal gear solid, Jak and Daxter, etc. There are much more video games than just Nintendo.

As for video game products, it may be available in japan but not here. Think about it, the games were created in japan, many of them were based on anime, it makes sense.

Nintendo fanboy much? Seriously, what about final fantasy (besides 7 because that one is already popular enough), sonic, god of war, metal gear solid, Jak and Daxter, etc. There are much more video games than just Nintendo.

None of those, except arguably Sonic, are known by a significant part of the general population. Back when I was a kid, adults who didn't even play video games were drinking coffee from Mario/Luigi mugs and buying their kids Nintendo-themed school bags and pencils.

Characters like Snake from MGS or any FF character have no appeal outside the target audience of a few million hardcore gamers and enthusiasts. Nintendo characters like Mario are known in islamic markets, hindu markets, christian markets, know no land boundaries or language boundaries.

Don't get me wrong; Every console has it's golden games. In reality though, Nintendo has always been the flagship of gaming that has always had recognised characters.

Not sure if you're old enough to remember, but back in the early-mid 90's Super Mario even had a pretty popular TV-show/sitcom, plus a very long running cartoon series and movies.

None of those, except arguably Sonic, are known by a significant part of the general population. Back when I was a kid, adults who didn't even play video games were drinking coffee from Mario/Luigi mugs and buying their kids Nintendo-themed school bags and pencils.

Characters like Snake from MGS or any FF character have no appeal outside the target audience of a few million hardcore gamers and enthusiasts. Nintendo characters like Mario are known in islamic markets, hindu markets, christian markets, know no land boundaries or language boundaries.

Don't get me wrong; Every console has it's golden games. In reality though, Nintendo has always been the flagship of gaming that has always had recognised characters.

Not sure if you're old enough to remember, but back in the early-mid 90's Super Mario even had a pretty popular TV-show/sitcom, plus a very long running cartoon series and movies.

Ahahahaha, i remember i saw some Mario movie in the late 90s i think. But there was more than one? Had no idea.

Great video game, not so great movie... Hehe.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Mario is the Titanic in the sense that it was once great and is now a sunken wreck.

Best quote i've seen for some time.

I think a lot of the lack of video game products is due to the stupid image video games have in the media, of being over-violent/time wasting.

mgssteelwarol7.png

Mario was the king. I remember going to India a year or two after we left our snes there and saw this lady playing super mario bros. :lol:

There are stores that sell a few Mario orientated merchandise though they were gaming stores. Also, I'm not sure if this is true or not but TV/Storybook-themed stuff may be more popular with the intended target audience than video games.

A theme park based on video games? That I would love to go to but we have major gaming conventions/conferences and stuff like E3 etc.

I had more to say but I'm not sure on how to word it properly.

Lol Mario movie, there was one with the bike race >.<

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

That's right, just try to suck the market dry and milk as much as physically possible from your franchises.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Actually this is only really true for the western world. Japan has a huge gaming-related market and often use internet memes or niche games in advertising. We havent followed suit because gamers are still in the nerdy sub-genre of people. Though its not to say they arent over there, its just more accepted. That in turn is not to say it is accepted, just.. more so. 0.2 > 0.1, afterall.

I cant say for sure, but this is likely to be because of Japans much laxer approach to copyright and such. 90% of merch made for these sorts of people are by doujin [fan made] groups. By fans - for fans, essentially. Theyre approach is as long as they give credit where its due (i.e. not stealing characters, saying theyre by X company) theyre free to promote. These doujinshika barely make any profit as it is, so what would be the purpose of sueing the shirt off their back? Plus, conventions like comiket are primarily there for doujin groups to 'get together' and sell their merch.

I suppose you also need to visit the right shops. Fellow britons may be aware of a store called Forbidden Planet which is essentially a nerd shop. Varying from manga, comics, TCG, RP and figures. I cant say I know of an american equivalent, but im sure there is one.

knkcopy.jpg