Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Greatsilverwyrm

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a very beautiful book to read, I loved it! Though it draws many questions after Dumbledore dies. How will Harry find and destroy the other horcruxes? Will Hogwarts become closed? Will Harry reveal his special magic (love) and find them through that? How will he learn how Dumbledore found them? What will happen? So many more questions....Yet such a great book!

2la3ha1.jpg

Silly Wizard! Rsn: Supertree2

World 104 usually. :)

Guest GhostRanger
Read all 6 in a row and this one has an end not really fitting for the rest of the book...

Yay anti-climax...

This is very true! But JKR did say that the 6th and 7th books were almost like 1 really long book, so I don't beat down on her for it too much. :P

I've just got back from holiday and finished the book, it was pretty good, and i do hope Harry and Ginny get back together, they seemed so happy together! :cry: Despite the length of it, the end did seem slightly rushed.

Anyway, i haven't read the entire thread but am i the only one who thinks Harry will be one of the Horcruxes?

EDIT: Mad does too :P

Oh and the films of teh 4,5,6 books should be interesting, since they were the longer books, and the more graphic.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Guest GhostRanger
I've just got back from holiday and finished the book, it was pretty good, and i do hope Harry and Ginny get back together, they seemed so happy together! :cry: Despite the length of it, the end did seem slightly rushed.

Anyway, i haven't read the entire thread but am i the only one who thinks Harry will be one of the Horcruxes?

EDIT: Mad does too :P

Oh and the films of teh 4,5,6 books should be interesting, since they were the longer books, and the more graphic.

Well...no I don't think so. Remember how Dumbledore pointed out that Voldy posses his snake in a way that is not norml? Voldemort would have been able to do that all the time with Harry. During OOTP, Harry wasn't even possessed by Voldemort, they just kind of shared thoughts.

I think JKR did a good job at squashing that theory already. Harry would have been more more evil if he had Lord V's soul in him.

Come to think of it, Harry can't be a Horcrux. Rowling did say that Harry does NOT die right? I remember hearing that. So the novel will end with Voldermort's soul still alive, regardless? Mehhh....I dunno about that one :?

signaturecj5.jpg

Come to think of it, Harry can't be a Horcrux. Rowling did say that Harry does NOT die right? I remember hearing that. So the novel will end with Voldermort's soul still alive, regardless? Mehhh....I dunno about that one :?

She did? Oh snap...there goes my theory :P.....unless he can somehow remove the Horcrux from his soul without killing himself.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

remember how that letter in the locket was signed by RAB. i think it might be regulus black, sirius' brother. in the 5th book they say he joined the death eaters and died, what if he joined to get close to voldemort so he could find out where his horcurxes were.... :shock:

remember how that letter in the locket was signed by RAB. i think it might be regulus black, sirius' brother. in the 5th book they say he joined the death eaters and died, what if he joined to get close to voldemort so he could find out where his horcurxes were.... :shock:

This has been posted in this very thread more than once before, so I don't think the shock emote is very well used ;)

It was also posted that while they are cleaning out Sirius's house they find "a heavy locket which none of them could open"

Im only half way done.

Things I have noticed:

(not actual quotes btw...)

"Oh, another dead person. How awful... Anyways you were saying?"

They don't seem to care as much...

"Hey Harry I have a message for you."

"Hey Harry I have another message for you."

"Hey Harry, The owls are on strike so I was sent to give this message to you."

"Hey Harry guess what! I have another message!"

I see alot of wasted paper...

Harry: "Malfoy is a death eater!"

Everyone: "No he isnt you silly goose."

Harry: "He's a death eater!"

Everyone: "Sure buddy, we'll check on him then."

Harry: "Thats not good enough! I must snoop!"

Everyone: "Shut up Harry!"

Harry: "But im telling you he's a death eater!"

Everyone: "Have you heard about the guy who cried wolf?"

Harry: "Yea! He was a death eater too!"

The whole "I told you so" skit is getting old...

Other things...

It seems Harry likes under-aged girls. Im talking about Ginny...

There are very few references to "candy" in the novel now.

The author isnt as secretive as before. Parts of the plot are obvious.

There seems to be more flashbacks than usual.

The author doesnt give background information about characters, settings and the various other magical things anymore...

Its like she's saying, "OMG you should know by now! Stupid 12 year olds..."

Being the second last book, I thought it was rather slow and boring...

The explanations are short and vague. Nothing much happened. The book is not that thick and it took half the pages just to pick up!

All in all, it has lost the "Hmm, I cant seem to put this book down! I must read on!"

I only manage to finish half the book.

What ive said might still be proven wrong though.

I agree to that. I think i got to page 6 and put the book down. JK, needs to have something exciting at the start, my mum was at pg 400 and summit, and kept askin if nething was gonna happen. Ive never been able to read harry potter. I only tried to read this one, cos i herd on da news bout the banner. Den i find out here :) how convinient. So basically, i agree :D

Guest GhostRanger

Im only half way done.

Things I have noticed:

(not actual quotes btw...)

"Oh, another dead person. How awful... Anyways you were saying?"

They don't seem to care as much...

"Hey Harry I have a message for you."

"Hey Harry I have another message for you."

"Hey Harry, The owls are on strike so I was sent to give this message to you."

"Hey Harry guess what! I have another message!"

I see alot of wasted paper...

Harry: "Malfoy is a death eater!"

Everyone: "No he isnt you silly goose."

Harry: "He's a death eater!"

Everyone: "Sure buddy, we'll check on him then."

Harry: "Thats not good enough! I must snoop!"

Everyone: "Shut up Harry!"

Harry: "But im telling you he's a death eater!"

Everyone: "Have you heard about the guy who cried wolf?"

Harry: "Yea! He was a death eater too!"

The whole "I told you so" skit is getting old...

Other things...

It seems Harry likes under-aged girls. Im talking about Ginny...

There are very few references to "candy" in the novel now.

The author isnt as secretive as before. Parts of the plot are obvious.

There seems to be more flashbacks than usual.

The author doesnt give background information about characters, settings and the various other magical things anymore...

Its like she's saying, "OMG you should know by now! Stupid 12 year olds..."

Being the second last book, I thought it was rather slow and boring...

The explanations are short and vague. Nothing much happened. The book is not that thick and it took half the pages just to pick up!

All in all, it has lost the "Hmm, I cant seem to put this book down! I must read on!"

I only manage to finish half the book.

What ive said might still be proven wrong though.

I agree to that. I think i got to page 6 and put the book down. JK, needs to have something exciting at the start, my mum was at pg 400 and summit, and kept askin if nething was gonna happen. Ive never been able to read harry potter. I only tried to read this one, cos i herd on da news bout the banner. Den i find out here :) how convinient. So basically, i agree :D

Man, I found page 6 to be fascinating. That first chapter where we find out that Fudge talks to other minister...that was cool.

Um, I laughed when Dumbledore died. But then again I expect a lot of teenagers to read this book, especially girls, who will start crying when they find out. Too bad, but remember he doesn't exist in reality. As much of a fantasy fan you might be, it's never too good to be too attached or obsessed with a story.

I was first wondering that R.A.B. could be r. Albus Dumbledore but then again I don't recall one of his many names starting with an R. I think the letter said something like "by the time this reaches you, Voldemort, I will be dead already. I have the real horcrux in my possession and intend to destroy it as soon as possible", maybe he replaced the horcrux with the letter earlier but didn't get a chance to destroy it as he was already too weak when they exited that cave. :)

By the looks of it, the 7th book will be unique. I'm not a great fan but I think these books are cool. The sixth one is not really kiddy stuff (warning to overprotective parents: vulgar words are used in the book, even the word dirty [bleep]) because Harry is not going to Hogwarts from what I remember. Not only did he say that but I think professor Gonagall said "who would want their children here anyways after what has happened"?

In the end, you will see that all of these are correct:

R.A.B. is Regulus Black, Sirius' brother who was a Death Eater that wanted to get out of the circle and was killed by Voldy.

Harry is not a Horcrux. Look at the prophecy.

Most importantly, Snape is not bad. There are so many things that point to this, and one particular conversation which cements it.

I don't feel like posting alot, so that's all.

Guest GhostRanger
I was first wondering that R.A.B. could be r. Albus Dumbledore but then again I don't recall one of his many names starting with an R. I think the letter said something like "by the time this reaches you, Voldemort, I will be dead already. I have the real horcrux in my possession and intend to destroy it as soon as possible", maybe he replaced the horcrux with the letter earlier but didn't get a chance to destroy it as he was already too weak when they exited that cave. :)

Dumbledore's intitials are stated in OOTP: APWBD.

Also, if Harry grabbed the locket out of the pool, then how could have Dumbledore written that note, put it in a fake locket, put it in there for Harry to grab, and concealed the real locket without Harry knowing?

The note also calls Voldemort "Dark Lord" and in the 5th book they make a point that only Death Eaters and those loyal to him call him that.

I liked it. I thought it was a good setup for book 7. Best of all, JKR left a lot of little clues for us to guess at.

I've come up with a different theory on Dumbledore's death.

-> Dumbledore is really an Animagus - his Animagi-form is actually a phoenix.

Phoenix's will burst into flames when it's their time to die (called a Burning Day), and will then be reborn from their ashes.

I've laid out plenty of clues in the thread below:

http://www.veritaserum.com/forums/index ... topic=5783

I liked it. I thought it was a good setup for book 7. Best of all, JKR left a lot of little clues for us to guess at.

Phoenix's will burst into flames when it's their time to die (called a Burning Day), and will then be reborn from their ashes.

Very nicely explained

summerpngwy6.jpg

Whoa :shock:

ChocoboT.jpeg

Let's make babies!

Ohhhh snap. Wow, I never even thought of that :shock:

signaturecj5.jpg

Ohhhh snap. Wow, I never even thought of that :shock:

That my friend... is on the same logical scale as him actuly dieing... im gonna wait till the next book, but now im torn between the two options...

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Very nicely explained

Hardly

There are only 2 points in there that would be good evidence: The flaming/phoenix rising from his tomb, and "Fawkes? - "I am not going to answer about the role in the next books, which probably gives you a big clue, and [Fawkes] has never been owned by anyone but Dumbledore." - JKR".

Everything else is just inference/crap.

In the 1970s, Dumbledore got together a group of great wizards willing to fight against Voldemort and his Death Eaters. This secret organization was called none other than "Order of the Phoenix". This was Dumbledore's Order. This is the most obvious clue we can find, completely overlooked by most readers.

He has a phoenix, phoenix's are held in high esteem in the magical world, etc. This proves nothing.

Before Dumbledore became a Headmaster, he was working as a Transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts (roughly in the 1940s).

The current Transfiguation teacher - McGonagall - is a known and registered Animagus, which is obviously one of the reasons why she is wise enough to teach Transfiguration.

Just because he was the transfiguration teacher, doesn't mean he was an animagus. He was probably just as well qualified to teach any subject.

Transfiguration is also one of the most difficult subject - Dumbledore is really good.

"'Fawkes is a phoenix, Harry. Phoenixes burst into flame when it is time for them to die and are reborn from the ashes. Watch him ...'

Harry looked down in time to see a tiny, wrinkled, new-born bird poke its head out of the ashes."

Dumbledore explains to Harry what happens to a phoenix on their Burning Day. After a phoenix's Burning Day, he will be full-grown again.

This was, for some reason, put under "Dumbledore as an Animagus". I have no idea why, as it proves nothing towards him being an animagus.

"Dumbledore has had to step back a little bit from Harry in an effort to teach him some of life's harder lessons." - JKR

Dumbledore's death has made Harry more independant. Harry now realizes he must be the one to kill Voldemort - he has to be the one to hunt down the Horcruxes.

With Dumbledore now gone, Voldemort will be confident enough to rise to his full potential. This will weaken him greatly, in a way, and will give Harry a much better chance at Voldemort (especially if Dumbledore turns up to help).

The fact that Snape killed Dumbledore allows Malfoy to stay free from Voldemort's punishments, without having to face the burden of 'murdering' his headmaster, and will also make Snape more popular with Voldemort.

Exactly. Now he's dead. That just provides support for him not being an Animagus, and that he is dead.

"What form does DumbledoreÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s Patronus take?

Good question. Can anyone guess? You have had a clue. There was a little whisper there. It is a phoenix, which is very representative of Dumbledore for reasons that I am sure you can guess."

(from an interview with JKR)

Many wizards Patronuses are also the animals they become in their Animagus form For example, the Patronus of James Potter takes the form of a stag. The animal he turns into in Animagus form is also a stag.

When exactly do we see Jame's patronus?

In the book Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, J.K. Rowling writes that "phoenix gains a XXXX rating not because it is aggressive, but because very few wizards have ever succeeded in domesticating it".

It's unusual that Dumbledore is able to control Fawkes so well. We know he is a great wizard - but what if he has a unique way of communicating with phoenixes?

We know that an Animagus is able to communicate with certain creatures in a fashion that most wizards wouldn't usually be able to. Peter Pettigrew was able to find out Voldemort's hiding place by talking with rats. Peter takes a rat in his Animagus form, which would explain why he can communicate so well with those creatures.

If Dumbledore was a phoenix Animagus, it would explain the rare ability he has to be able to domesticate phoenixes (namely, Fawkes).

Dumbledore is Dumbledore, he's insane good. If anyone could domesticate a phoenix, he could.

Also, I beleive that Pettigrew became a rat because he had an affinity for them. Not the other way around.

If Dumbledore shared the powers of a Phoenix, he would be able to re-animate himself from his own ashes. If any of his enemies knew this ability of his, they would know not to leave his body after he was killed, or they would have at least ensured that no flames could touch the body. Perhaps Dumbledore is an unregistered, and uknown, Animagus. That would explain why no one questioned the phoenix they briefly glimpsed flying from the tomb of Dumbledore.

Phoenixes reanimate from their ashes. Nowhere is it mentioned that wizards could have this power.

They would have ensured that no flames would touch his body? The hell? Phoenixes, when they burn, basically spontaneously combust. They're not set on fire.

Dumbledore uses a scarlet quill - presumably from Fawkes. [OotP - 37]

K.. that helps prove that he's an animagus. Yup. I feel obliged to use :roll: here, sorry. :roll: :roll:

Dumbledore, like Fawkes before his "Burning Day", had been looking "dreadful for days" and looked like death upon arrival back in Hogsmeade after recovering the locket.

Yeah, he looked like death because he just drank some freaking potion from Voldemort.

"The animal one turns into as an animagus reflects your personality."

"You become the animal that suits you best." - JKR

Doesn't help prove that he's an Animagus whatsoever.

Dumbledore has always had an unnatural affinity towards fire, and he has a lot of control over it (much like a phoenix would).

Where does it say this? Where does it imply this? Just because he creates a ring of fire from his wand doesn't mean he "has an affinity towards fire" or "has a lot of control over it". For all we know that's a standard spell that any wizard could do.

Also, where does it ever say or imply that phoenixes have control over fire? Unless it's something from the Care of Magical Creatures book, which I've admittedly not read.

IRKAa.jpg

Wow Wrym, you really want Dumbledore to be dead ;) You even registered to reply to his post :D

But yes. I would like Dumbledore to survive in the book, but the way J.K wrote his death, I personally think it is very much out of the question.

It seems a little bit farfetched to me too, if I must be honest. A bit like the whole Tu Pac thing, you just start believing it if you read it as much as possible.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!