[Handled]Skill Guides: Farming

• 7 months later...

Ok, thank you everyone for all the information. I got all the needed information from this thread and it has been moved.

For all farming times... we're simply leaving them as they are because there are so many factors that change them and we will simply go near the Jagex times for now. I did confirm that there is a sound from the worn nature ammy, so that has been added, too (sry for the confusion sjefderat).

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

idunedain, i know you stated that the expected 'time to grow' will not be changed,

but couldnt you consider to mention a time-interval, especially for trees? Im pretty sure that somewhere in last few weeks during a hidden update the posssible time to grow for fruittrees has lenghtened. I have had several times now with growingtimes of around 26-30 hours.. Around twice as much as the time indicated..and defenitely more than in the recent past..

h_y_j_a_c_k.png

idunedain, i know you stated that the expected 'time to grow' will not be changed,

but couldnt you consider to mention a time-interval, especially for trees? Im pretty sure that somewhere in last few weeks during a hidden update the posssible time to grow for fruittrees has lenghtened. I have had several times now with growingtimes of around 26-30 hours.. Around twice as much as the time indicated..and defenitely more than in the recent past..

I will check, I have to plant some fruit trees myself too. I'll time them and see if I get any strange results...

EDIT: I have checked with two fruit trees (a pineapplea and a papaya). I did not get especially long times, so I guess you were just unlucky. You know, there are some set times: your tree changes its status (eg, it visibly grows) only at a fixed moment of time. If you plant it just before such a moment, it would seem that it immediately grows. While if you plant it just after such a moment, it would take a long time before it will grow (change status)... That's all there is to it

103 combat | 1M+ xp in each skill (lvl73) | 1800+ skill total | quest cape

Level 86 herblore, 85 farming

• 2 weeks later...

I am running across this phenomenon. I planted an orange tree last night around 9PM. It's now almost 4PM the next day, and it's not anywhere near grown. At this rate it will be more than 24 hours. That's definitely beyond anything that can be explained by the timing of the planting within an interval. Could it be explained by lack of compost or that it is being cared for by a farmer? I think we need to look at some possible variables.

/\ ~Mara Planter

/ \ o

/ \ |=

/ \ ^ * * * *

| | / \ \ | /

sorry idunedain, i dont agree with your theory.

I'm a pretty experienced farmer and i know about the 'growing clock; almost every day I plant 4 trees at a time (using every tree allotment). And only since a few weeks i'm confronted approx. once every 3-4 days with this 'growth lagging'.

For your info, for the lower lvl trees i use supercompost, for the higherlvl i use farmerpayments. I didnt notice any difference in the lagging..

It could be a bug, but it could also be a hidden update to make frequent treefarming less attractive?

I would appreciate to hear experiences from other higher lvl farmers before concluding this is just a matter of bad luck

h_y_j_a_c_k.png

• 1 month later...
"Secatuers can be blessed.... increase crop yeilds with 10%"

Should be "by 10%"

Disagree - it should be "by up to an average of 10%". They dont ALWAYS give an increase in crop yeild and sometimes gives greater than 10% yeild. For example when I was not using the secateurs I was getting herb yeilds of a maximum (albeit very rare) of 7 per plant, but using the secatuers I have got as many as 13 per plant

• 2 months later...

The farming patch for the "special" bittercap mushrooms in Canifis is located next to the fairy ring (CKS) so that might be added in the "route" box. It is MUCH faster/closer then the ectophial route that is there at the moment.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

• 2 weeks later...

I, and a lot of other people didn't know this until I tried it recently.

When a farmer asks for crops, you CAN give them it in noted form. A note somewhere would probably be a very good hint. ;)

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

• 2 weeks later...

I know you fine folks considered the growing times of fruit trees six months ago and decided to keep them the way they are, but 14.6 hours is just plain wrong. I have planted some 25 fruit trees now and not one has taken less than 20 hours to grow and a few have taken 30 hours or more. I currently have a banana tree that has been in the last stage before full growth for 8 hours and is still not done.

I understand that many factors (mainly luck) determine the actual growth time of an individual plant, so the times are just estimates. I always use super compost and pay the farmer when planting fruit trees if that matters (if so, you might mention that in the guide, too). But, 14.6 hours is just plain wrong when it takes an average of at least 24 hours and never, ever, ever takes 14.6 hours. Perhaps you'll reconsider and update the guide with an accurate range of times. Otherwise, you should just omit that information rather than lie to people.

Thank you for listening.

Humbly,

Spheric1

Update: I am now planting coconuts and 4 of the 6 trees I've planted have only taken around 15 hours to grow and the other 2 only took about 20 hours, so I guess they sometimes do take only 14.6 hours to grow. Seems like this is the exception though, (or maybe it's because they are higher level?), and I still think it would be a good idea (more acurate) to give some sort of range to these times if possible. Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

A minor point here, but in the interests of thoroughness:- Picking Bittercap Mushrooms gives 57.5 xp (*6) not 57(*6) as stated.

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

If you ask a farmer to cut your tree down for you, and it used super compost before-hand, the new patch will already be super-composted for you.

[pokemama 8 may: verified true. thanks.]

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

In the trees section, add to roots sentence that willow roots can be used at a loom to weave baskets (crafting guide). Yew roots are useful for making a potion (herblore).

All tree roots can be spun on spinning wheels to make crossbow strings, or used to make compost/supercompost (sorry, I'm not sure which).

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe just a trivial fact for most of you, but for me quite a 'surprise': today I got 18 herbs from 1 patch! (Supercompost, toadflax, Catherby patch)

First time ever for me and I've farmed many herbs.. So, 18 herbs is maximum yield for herbs unless somebody here had even more?

h_y_j_a_c_k.png

For users vexed by the Jagex growing times we list in our guide, be advised that someone is going to run a study on this. It may be a good while before the results are in, but we're working on it. ;-)

Right now it's suspected that paying the farmer to watch the tree may affect the growing time - dunno if that will prove true or not.

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

That's good news pokemama,

Maybe you can tell this 'someone' to give special attention to the gnomestronghold fruittreepatch. To me this patch seems often significant faster than the other patches. No matter if I pay for it or not..

h_y_j_a_c_k.png

Looks like that study won't be necessary after all ... I actually knew this fact but had forgotten about it :roll:

I always used super compost when I planted my trees, even when I paid the farmer to watch it grow... I ran my route every 24 hours, same time every day, but sometime the tree wasn't grown... what I found out was a tree that should be grown in 12-15 hours, took almost 45 hours... YES, correct.. What I think happens is that let's say a tree grows in 8 stages to be a grown tree (to be easy to understand, 2 hours a stage, so 16 hours)... so if a tree is diseased, then the farmer cures it, but he doesn't do it when it happens, he waits till it should grow a stage, then the timer resets and it's another 2 hours to the next stage again...

Comment on hyjack01's post:

I remember having 13 rannars with normal compost when I was still a noob farmer and rannar was the highest I could plant, and yes this was only 1 time, never happened again with normal compost.

With super compost from 5 to 13 herbs per plot is normal, but the highest that I know of is 19, yes, that also happened only once and second best is "only" 16, and even that happened only a few times.

As a comparison: The very highest that I know of for watermelons from 1 patch is 53, and again there the second best harvest is a lot lower (low 40s).

For me it seems that with farming the random engine from jagex sometimes runs overtime, but it is very rare. So my guess is that even 20 herbs could be possible with the secateurs...

Another remark, I know that sweetcorn and strawberries heal more or less dependant on your hitpoints level, it changed from 5 healing to 6 for me with strawberries when I became higher level.

So the complaint from dragonwizerd who says that tomatoes heal only 2 for him could be true, it seems that all these harvested products heal according to mathematical formulas and not just absolute numbers.

According to knowledge base: strawberries, sweetcorn and watermelon heal depending on stats, all others should be absolute.

Maybe someone can investigate this?

On Pokemama's post:

all tree roots make super compost.

2100+ total 3rd best skiller ever at 99 combat (maybe the best, highest total below 100 cb)

99 Cook 99 Fletch 99 Woodcut 99 Firemaking 99 Range 99 Mage 99 Thief 99 Fish 99 Agility 99 Mining 99 Runecrafting 99 Hp 99 Slayer 99 Smith 99 Hunt 99 Construction 99 Craft 99 Farming

• 1 month later...

This is about the garden pie and cider. You should add that you only need a boosted level for planting the seeds, not harvesting them.

Don't ask me for what I do for fun.

Anyways, what I do for fun (besides RS) is to tear up assignments I get and then try to re-create them. It's so much fun =D.

(I also like differrent things.(and purple ))

Hasaple2.png

Hasaple2.png

I'm sorry to disagree that tip.it should leave the growth times of fruit trees at 14.6 hours. This is really, really misleading, especially to new farmers.

There are not that many factors to modify fruit tree growth times except what Jagex decided to program them to do. Not supercompost, nor the clock cycle, etc modifies a fruit tree growth from the stated 14.6 hours to over 24 hrs.

I too have notice over the last year a definite change in the growth times of the fruit trees, (including calquat). No OTHER farming plant has shown this degree of extreme time change.

So I really really would appreciate it if tip.it would change the website "fruit tree growth times" to "Random -14.6 to over 24 hrs".

If you'd like to sit your character next to your tree and log in every hour to see if it's reached the next stage, continuing until it's completely grown, and you do this for 10 of the same type of tree, and post all of your hourly data here, I'll consider making modifications.

Until then - our times match the ones Jagex has provided. Please contact them if you think their numbers should be changed.

Thanks.