(Duel Arena) What is wrong with using prayer???

Video_Tycoon

er... i get the opposite on my level 70 it has 1 pray so i turn it off, it either gets turned back on or i get called noob, so i say fine but don't protect its not fun....so they protect, but i still hit past them 1 def pures no matter what haha

]ac_s_dc.png

Hmmm, I guess this is the reason they made Smite? Maybe?

give this man a cookie. also, why was this tread moved to help and advice? id had legit disscussion value :?

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

So if a person works hard to get 99 strength, its ok to use high strength attacks? So by that logic, if i train prayer to 90+, and its hard to do and takes ages, i can then use prayer?

Its 'fun' for me to use ANY advantage to outlive my opponent - if thats prayer/eating/better armour or weapons surely anything goes. Why would I agree to make it easy for you to kill me, especially if you have higher attack/strength?

SIgh - this arguement just goes round and round.

Gda_Scooby.png

Firstly, I'm the last one to call people a noob for using a feature of the game that is given to them.

However, people using protection prayers in a fun duel pisses me off to no end. If it's a fun duel it's not all about winning, and using prayer unnecessarily draws the fight out. I don't turn off prayer because I want to use piety.

Also, I rarely go to the duel arena unless I'm testing something out... in which case protection prayers are just hindering my cause.

tl;dr: it's not helping you, it makes the fight slower. Both people NOT using prayer is more fun than both people using it.

You have just described armor.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

It's not unfair!

You earn skills to use them, if you have them and they help you survive, then why not use them? I don't see those arrogants fightting Jad or Dagganoth kings without prayer.

I usually dont use protection prayers, as i prefer to use chivalary for a longer period of time then use any protection prayer and only last half the time.

If they don't want to you use prayer, there's a "No Prayer" option they could toggle.

Same happens if you want to keep your life high in pking, the so called "Safeing".

Seriously, it's a strategy!

If people choose to save food, keeping theire health low and risking getting KO'ed by a dds/ d claws special or pot shot from any weapon, then it's theire problem!

I usually safe, as i prefer to havemy health high, making me almost immune to certain combos, specially in f2p pking. Of course, there is a downside, i spend much more food, however keeping me from dieing, and, in some cases when i'm out of food, i use protection prayer. Seriously, they are too good to not use them, and if i'm almost dieing they are my only escape, since i'm against teleing and running (guthix bless bind and fire wave :thumbsup: ).

If they are upset with any of these features, then its theire problem, they are in the game, so they were meant to be used.

This is almost the same concept as pures that want to "No armor". You worked for the defense levels, and you have an advantage over them, and they want to get rid of your advantages. Why would I wear no armor when I worked my way up to 70 defense? Same with prayer. I have spent millions on prayer, and yet people flame me for using it. I just laugh at them tbh. I know I have the winning argument.

Use your hard earned levels as you see fit. Don't listen to other people telling you what you can and can't do.

0neJudgement.png

Goals:

94 magic

94 ranged

55 slayer

Addy gloves-done

Well one person is willingly disadvantaging themselves. it's not liek the person using the protection prayer is the only one who can(in most cases). So if one person adds a handicap to themselvs, should it not be common courtesy for the other person to do the same? Watching a fight with two people using melee protection prayer is long, and boring as hell.

I just think that it makes sense to level the playing field. Also, smite won't completely drain their prayer before they die in most cases, and people don't turn prayer off because piety is awesome.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Barely anybody has a problem with prayers other than the 3 overhead protection prayer.

They fall into 2 camps:

1) people who think, they're there, so you should use them, and quit whining because peopel are using their skills against you

2) people who think that, because the rprayers are so powerful, it's just less fun. Simply, 43 prayer is easy to get. It removes a LOT of damage: if both people use pro melee, it makes you both hit a lot lot less. Meaning it pretty much just ends up you both rarely hitting ,safing, wasting food, with not a lot of danger to anybody. It's just not fun.

My opinion:

So, if you're willingly entering combat, use prayers only when they do, or you'll be there all day and it's no fun. If you're being assaulted unwillingly, pray your butt off.

You are a nerd and noob, etc because you think you are better than the level 110. Since staking is gone, I'm sure the duel was not very serious at all. Using a protect from melee spell which your opponent is almost guaranteed to have himself is lame. That level 110 would have owned you easily if he had used his protect spell, but he realized that you were a noob and just tried to win without it for kicks, I am guessing. His stats own yours and he has probably higher prayer.. you tell me who wins with identical "strategy".

To the people saying protect spells are like armor:

That is completely false. There are so many variations of armor that a dueler has to choose what kind would be best for him for his situation. People want to go and test new armors and weapons in the duel arena.. and you waste their time by using protect from melee. Winning with it does not prove anything.

By the way someone said prayer was harder than 99 strength?

Well it is obvious we aren't talking about 99 prayer, so what level? 70?

70 prayer is EASILY obtained <15 hours including money making

99 strength takes over 130 hours

Even if you were to talk about 99 of both, it would come out about the same time INCLUDING moneymaking (and semi-decent stats)

oversized.jpg[/bads]

I'm not going to quote the people who quoted me...

However, I did not describe armour. Armour makes you get hit less often, prayer actually reduces the damage done. Not to mention every piece of armour I wear increases offensive bonuses.

When someone uses protection prayers your max hit is actually lowered.

To whoever said smite: Go ahead. Try it. Try to totally smite someone's prayer in 1 duel.

To whoever said anything about the difficulty of leveling prayer or strength: It's irrelevant.

To whoever said anything about using whatever advantages you have to win a duel: You can't even stake anymore... it's just for fun.

Also, this.

praying melee in a non stakeless duel is also again stupid and pointless

last night i get a 107 who wants to fight me for some reason

he prays melee because im 126 and i have an ags i just want to own him fast and test my max hit

I've actually had fights where people would beg me to test some new weapon on them (claws, godsword, steel titan, etc.) and then when I get into the duel they turn on prayer... So I just forfeit the duel to save time and move on to someone where I can do what I came to do.

Well one person is willingly disadvantaging themselves. it's not liek the person using the protection prayer is the only one who can(in most cases). So if one person adds a handicap to themselvs, should it not be common courtesy for the other person to do the same? Watching a fight with two people using melee protection prayer is long, and boring as hell.

I just think that it makes sense to level the playing field. Also, smite won't completely drain their prayer before they die in most cases, and people don't turn prayer off because piety is awesome.

I don't think it makes any sense whatsoever to 'level the playing field'... If someone willingly disadvantages themselves, I'm not going to do it just because they did? If you're in a PvP World, in the deep wilderness, skulled, full ahrim's and whip equipped... And someone comes to you, they happen to have the exact same stats as you, but they're wearing a Splitbark/Mystic combination, along with a Dragon Scimitar, are you going to run to the bank and pull on your Splitbark/Mystic, with Dragon Scimitar?

NO. You're going to kill them, because you CAN. Thanks to your better gear and (Hopefully, judging by how much more you're willing to risk :P) Better PKing skill.

That's what I think anyway... It's just like, for example, trying to get 99 strength at a lower combat than someone who's a similar sort of character to you (1-defence hybrid, zerker, barrows pure?). Would you allow your opponent to super-pot up, and you to only use a regular strength pot to make your stats roughly even? Something makes me doubt it...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Rusty_TiTin.png

NO. You're going to kill them, because you CAN. Thanks to your better gear and (Hopefully, judging by how much more you're willing to risk :P) Better PKing skill.

Irrelevant point. We're talking about a fun duel, not a player kill that could potentially lose you millions.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

All Jagex has to do it put a "no protection prayers" in, instead of just no prayer.

Because no prayer wouldn't allow piety and whatnot.

Honestly, praying in a fun duel is kinda nooby.... unless the other guy does it.

Doomy edit: I like sheep