is it really the Meaning?

Stilev

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

A friend of mine and i had a discussion and pretty much agreed that music now adays dont have a message behind their songs with obvious artist like Hannah Montana but other artist like MIA with paper planes. but other friends of ours say that they dont listen to rap for the beat but for the message behind it

in my opinion how the song makes me feel is what the song means, not the lyrics, especially when i have to go look up the words half the time to know what they are saying, the other thing i think is that i will hear songs that say one things, and the artist doesn't do anything other then have it in their song and can be hypocritical (cant think of a specific example but i know its done) the last thing is that im going to book or the media for this information not my music

what do you guys think of meanings in music, is it the lyrics, or the beat, or deeper like the beat is what makes you feel

legends2.jpg

I think bands that write songs with an anti-political message or a commentary on modern culture are boring and wasted now.

It's been done to death, no-one cares anymore.

That's why bands like Pink Floyd are still so great, they write timeless lyrics that are always relevant and beautiful.

Wish You Were Here is a good example, the lyrics are just effortless.

spacescenev24.jpg

I definitely think a lot of the power and meaning in music comes from the music itself. At least I think it should. With a musical genre like death metal, for example, most of the lyrics are laughable and the vocals make them inaudible anyway. That's not to say that I don't like it - it's actually one of my favourite types of music.

Having said that, I do like good, cleaverly written lyrics. Especially so in hip-hop, where it's one of the main requirements for the music to be considered good (well, good lyrics and delivery at the same time).

That is why Kamelot is epic with Khan.Great lyrics,great singer and great back.

Although I do listen to stuff like CoB where you can't comprehend the lyrics,for the way Alexi's note-hitting and voice complements the music.

Sometimes my taste contradict each other...

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I don't listen to music based on what the composer "put into it". I listen to music based on what I get out of it.

How it makes me feel is everything.

This, and this goes for just about everyone I know. Some people find meaning in music that others find mundane.

I don't listen to music based on what the composer "put into it". I listen to music based on what I get out of it.

This, and this goes for just about everyone I know. Some people find meaning in music that others find mundane.

Yeah this, definitely.

in before a tool fanatic claims that Maynard Keenan has a higher level of sentience than the ordinary human.

But dude, he's a genius!

in before a tool fanatic claims that Maynard Keenan has a higher level of sentience than the ordinary human.

But dude, he's a genius!

It's times like this I regret picking this username, it would be a shame for anyone to think I was one of 'those guys'.

It would also be a shame if people allowed the fanatics to ruin Maynard's reputation - He is a very good lyricist.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

But dude, he's a genius!

It's times like this I regret picking this username, it would be a shame for anyone to think I was one of 'those guys'.

It would also be a shame if people allowed the fanatics to ruin Maynard's reputation - He is a very good lyricist.

Yeah I'm certainly not saying he's horrible.

Aye. In fact, it puts me off of bands when they try to put some message into their lyrics - namely because it often changes the music for the worse, but whatever ...

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Some bands I like that the songs have meaning or just about a good topic ([bleep]es, cars, and bling dont count, sorry popular radio stations in my area)

But some bands it doesnt matter and I like it no matter what.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

No, he's just very good at making it seem that way. ;)

Couldn't agree any more.

I don't care how much of a message they put through it if it's not done with poetry and great instrumentals. Heck, half the stuff on my i-pod I can't understand because it's from all over the world. But the way the words roll with the music and the instruments intertwine is important. Can't stand a lot of these modern bands that just use the same old repetitions of sound and rhymes. It's like some factory line of pop music. There's no originality or difference between one band and the next anymore. Heck, even genres are starting to become similar. It's scary how close country is getting to pop rock.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. -Napoleon Bonaparte

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. -Bobby Henderson

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a mix, between how I feel; and the lyrics.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Maynard isn't necessarily smart, rather just quite clever and just a plain smart-[wagon].

Just because someone is cryptic and offers ideas alternate to the norm, doesn't make them an intelligent person. I would argue that he is somewhat intelligent and quite informed. He's a great lyricist and very clever.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."