First RS Review in a while: A Member's Betrayal

rossmallo

I'm going to admit it. WoW has a better combat system, and graphics. But that's all.

It's just one of those instantly gradifying games that make you feel special because you pressed a button in the right direction enough times, and saw pretty lasers kill some really pretty looking monster. The player characters are always in top physical condition, which is pretty disturbing. You get pretty looking spells to shoot lasers etc. at people, but to get them, you have to play for hours and hours.

Of course they wanted to make the game require lots of time, but the player is in some half dead daze, smiling at how their muscular elf zombie warrior just kicked a mega-super-dragon in the face. It's instantly gradifying all the way through to the last level.

There's also barely any risk involved, like in Runescape. You don't lose all your items when you die, just so the brainless player doesn't start crying.

Sure, I guess it's a fun game, but it's repetitive instant gradification.

The exact same in true for RS, only less pretty.

So in Runescape, all you do is combat? There's much more to Runescape than picking up a fancy sword and shoving it in some cool fashion into a giant dragon's stomach. That's why I like Runescape a lot more, it's much more diverse. Every flippin' week or two, it gets even MORE diverse. I don't get how you can argue against that much new content to do.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

woah, a summary of wow that would end any argument about mmorpg's in seconds.

speaking of which, I don't call it wrath of the liche king anymore, i call it WoW: good simaritan with knives and ADD, because thats what it feels like, not an epic story. i played it for a while on a freinds computer.

2Xeo5.png

I'm going to admit it. WoW has a better combat system, and graphics. But that's all.

It's just one of those instantly gradifying games that make you feel special because you pressed a button in the right direction enough times, and saw pretty lasers kill some really pretty looking monster. The player characters are always in top physical condition, which is pretty disturbing. You get pretty looking spells to shoot lasers etc. at people, but to get them, you have to play for hours and hours.

Of course they wanted to make the game require lots of time, but the player is in some half dead daze, smiling at how their muscular elf zombie warrior just kicked a mega-super-dragon in the face. It's instantly gradifying all the way through to the last level.

There's also barely any risk involved, like in Runescape. You don't lose all your items when you die, just so the brainless player doesn't start crying.

So in Runescape, all you do is combat? There's much more to Runescape than picking up a fancy sword and shoving it in some cool fashion into a giant dragon's stomach. That's why I like Runescape a lot more, it's much more diverse. Every flippin' week or two, it gets even MORE diverse. I don't get how you can argue against that much new content to do.

No.

What I'm trying to say is that you all need to stop acting like WoW is completely garbage and Runescape is really amazing.

Both games have their own good qualities.

Both games have their own bad qualities.

Both games have their share of boring repetitious actions.

Talk about how they are different in a constructive manner.

Then talk about which you prefer and why.

I prefer WoW more because I find it generally has more flavorful gameplay, with less boring repetition, and I also find that the people in-game are generally much more mature and fun to be around.

Having said that, if you look at my signature you'll see that I do play Runescape a decent amount, and I enjoy in it's own ways.

greenmelf.png

Good writing. Only one thing I have to point out:

Anyone whos played Pokemon Diamond/Pearl will immediately understand how the icy floor works here.

That same puzzle was used before Diamond & Pearl, in Gold & Silver, and then again briefly in Ruby & Sapphire. :shame:

Although in Myths of the White Lands, you can move diagonally, which is a big functional change.

It's obvious that you didn't play WoW past level 10. Learn your facts first.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Good writing. Only one thing I have to point out:

Anyone whos played Pokemon Diamond/Pearl will immediately understand how the icy floor works here.

That same puzzle was used before Diamond & Pearl, in Gold & Silver, and then again briefly in Ruby & Sapphire. :shame:

Although in Myths of the White Lands, you can move diagonally, which is a big functional change.

Ahh, well, I forgot it happened in Gold, and i've not actually PLAYED Ruby/Sapphire, so...Meh X3

True fact, a lot of my friends play WoW, and I went to one of their houses for this open house thing he was having. You know what we did, played WoW, the WHOLE FRICKING TIME :ohnoes: :evil: ! I didn't even play, I was watching a friend of his from church play :| . I left the party after about an hour, I couldn't even stand it anymore. One of the main reasons that I prefer RS, it doesnt take your wallet, and it usually only takes a part of your social life :lol:

This is the best way to describe WoW: :wall: , over and over again

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

it's a "bit" 1 sided really!

all arguments for wow you can also say on rs: rs doesn't REALLY bring new game play at all, it just brings old gameplay into a new jacket!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Secondly you say that WoW does not offer weapons that allow for individuality. This again is inacurate. With skills such as enchanting, jewel crafting, and inscribing a player can custom taylor their armor in more ways than there are types of armor in Runescape. Even more than that, every class has three trees to spec so as to allow for futher customization in that these will often alter defense levels. Though I feel this is just redundant, have you heard of a Thunderfury? Or 'chance on hit'? You ask about lightning bolts and attacking everything around your charater but WoW classes by themselves can do this. On top of that however, plenty of weapons in game give you a chance to do have a special attack do extra damage, root, debuff, etc. There are so many of these that if you were to give every weapon, armor, and ammo in Runescape special effects you still would not begin to dent how many there are in WoW.

This is wrong. Sorry, but once you hit max level all mages of the same spec have the same enchants, inscriptions, armor (if their raid progression is the same), etc.. Same with every other class. The only way to customize is with different specs, but even then, if you want to get into a serious raid guild, every class is going to be specced the same as other people in their class. Right now, any mage who raids as anything other than frostfire bolt is killing their dps on raid bosses.

WoW's combat is nothing special either. Personally, I was a mage. You know what I did? Living Bomb, Scorch, Scorch, then spam Frostfire Bolt, refreshing LB and scorch debuff when necessary. It's just as repetitive as Runescape combat.

My armory, in case you were wondering. I quit ~3 weeks ago because my guild had cleared everything but malygos and I was bored as hell of the game as a whole.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Kesar

Torlen.png

But when was the last time in WoW you saw a bolt of lightning descend from someones sword? The last time you saw them drive their blade into the ground to unleash hell on everyone around them? The last time you saw someone get instantly cremated from a single crossbow bolt?

Yes, all of the weapons in WoW may have a lot of power behind them, but they, like the rest of the stuff in that game, lack diversity. Runescape lets us have that diversity with weapons that have special attacks and so on, giving us various tactical edges in battle.

How can you say that? Seriously, you're saying that theres more diversity in weapons in RS than in WoW?!

Lets take a look at this. Theres around 10 different main weapon types in RS, with around 8 different materials (bronze-dragon). So around 80 different main weapons. Add in godswords, barrows weapons, bows etc., you're looking at 130-140 or so different weapons at the most.

Lets look at WoW. Sure, from about levels 1 to 10 theres really not that many weapons. But once you start getting into 15+ levels, you're looking at a lot of weapons. Theres around 14 different weapon types (swords, 2h swords, 2h maces, bows, guns, etc.) For every level 10-80, I'd say theres a selection of at least 15 or so weapons for each type of weapon (with all the different "of the bear" or "of the whale" weapons. Also, theres definitely A LOT more at higher levels when you figure in all the instances and pvp gear). But, just to keep things simple lets stick with an average 15 for each level bracket. so, 15 weapons*14 weapon types*70 levels = 14,700 weapons Keep in mind this is a rough estimate. Tbh, that seems a little high, I'd say theres more around 10,000-12,000.

Anyways though, you get the point. And not only are they diverse in that theres so many different weapons, but you can also get enchants for them, and with all the different attributes they can really differ in stats and also in looks. Not to mention, that lots of them are quest rewards, PVP rewards, or from instances/raids, not just the usual monster-hunting or smithing in RS.

Also, I don't really know how you can talk about special attacks making rs more diverse than wow, when rs doesn't even have abilities. On a warrior, even at lvl 20 or so you've got at least 15 different abilities, some for damage, some for tanking, some for slowing enemies, etc. You really cant compare that with the couple special attacks in RS.

Don't really mean to put a damper on things but you really can't say that rs weapons are more diverse than weapons in WoW. But other than that, I pretty much agree with everything else, especially about questing being like another job. It does get a bit boring, doing the same thing over and over again. "get me 10 boar livers... kill 16 raptors... go talk to this guy... go bring this item to this guy..." -.-

Secondly you say that WoW does not offer weapons that allow for individuality. This again is inacurate. With skills such as enchanting, jewel crafting, and inscribing a player can custom taylor their armor in more ways than there are types of armor in Runescape. Even more than that, every class has three trees to spec so as to allow for futher customization in that these will often alter defense levels. Though I feel this is just redundant, have you heard of a Thunderfury? Or 'chance on hit'? You ask about lightning bolts and attacking everything around your charater but WoW classes by themselves can do this. On top of that however, plenty of weapons in game give you a chance to do have a special attack do extra damage, root, debuff, etc. There are so many of these that if you were to give every weapon, armor, and ammo in Runescape special effects you still would not begin to dent how many there are in WoW.

This is wrong. Sorry, but once you hit max level all mages of the same spec have the same enchants, inscriptions, armor (if their raid progression is the same), etc.. Same with every other class. The only way to customize is with different specs, but even then, if you want to get into a serious raid guild, every class is going to be specced the same as other people in their class. Right now, any mage who raids as anything other than frostfire bolt is killing their dps on raid bosses.

WoW's combat is nothing special either. Personally, I was a mage. You know what I did? Living Bomb, Scorch, Scorch, then spam Frostfire Bolt, refreshing LB and scorch debuff when necessary. It's just as repetitive as Runescape combat.

My armory, in case you were wondering. I quit ~3 weeks ago because my guild had cleared everything but malygos and I was bored as hell of the game as a whole.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Kesar

Mine was that of a comparative statement. In relation to Runescape, WoW's ability to customize armor sets and specializations is astronomical. You are correct though, most raiding guilds do have that requirement though you still have the opportunity to use other items, inscribe differently, different enchantments, chance to hit weapons, offhands, wands, bows, even down to specializations such as the paladin spec of Ret with holy and Kings only. Not many people spec that but Kings is useful to have. In other words WoW high end stuff is all the same (remember McDonald Pally gear?) BUT the opportunity for variety is always there. Kind of like a Holy Pally wearing spell healing boosting gear and the same pally wearing protection gear. He is still holy but can often manage the off tank spot.

And towards your combat statement, PvM is ALWAYS the same but PvP is never the same. Players add variety that make it fun. Runescape is strap on best armor, pot up, find a target, click... wait, Spec and hope to heaven that you KO your opponent. WoW allows for many aspects of combat that allow for the variety that Runescape has. But like I said it is my OPINION that WoW has a far superior combat system. And to deny the differing level of variety in armor sets in relation to Runescape is just ignorant. Not that it is a bad thing, you are just obviously missing something important. I still love my java applet game and probably will play it till it dies but that does not require that I blindly defend it by ignoring the facts.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

Okay, this is probably just a matter of opinion.

*ducks rotten tomatoes*

Okay, from what I've heard of WoW (never played), the combat is a lot like GWD bosses only x10 -- really, REALLY hard to solo.

And me? I'm a soloer, through and through. So here's my two cents, as little as they may be worth.

Money's a serious issue with me -- I have only one opportunity -- in the summer -- to get enough money for my next year of membership, and I barely manage to get even a 'measly' $60. Therefore, WoW is out of the question.

What makes it even more out of the question, however, is the fact that I still haven't seen HD first hand because my computer sucks and is running WINDOWS 2000. And there is very little chance of me getting a better computer.

'Sides, with WoW you HAVE to pay to play. RuneScape, however... :D I could, perhaps, live with F2P if I had to. Though I'd be bored out of my skull with no quests to do :lol: . I'd probably be at lessers all day, going killkillkill and sighing about my members days \:D/ ...

And back to my first point: I've been more social in the past two days on Team Penguin's clan chats than I've been in the past month or two, and I'm very unlikely to be going anywhere near any GWD bosses before I can solo them.

And money's an issue... soooooooo no WoW for me, and I don't care.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

Nice read. More reason for me to tell my WoW friends to cry in their corner >=D.

Also to your question about Santas. The news of Santa suit came 6 month before the Christmas event. When that happend, people already know that Santas are going to be a widely merched item. However, the people that want Santas for the suit has already obtained one (6 month is more than enough time to get it) Therefore, Santa would reach it's peak about 2-3 weeks before Christmas. After that, it will fluctuate between that price until Christmas event arrives, which was about a week before Christmas. The first day, people would not realize what happend. So Santa merchants will attempt to sell at ridiculus price. However, by this time, there is not enough demand for Santas because everyone that could afford and want one already has it. This means you have a TON of merchants with about 20-100 Santas on them and nothing to do. If you were in that situation, you will want to get rid of them. So my first reaction is to sell on ge at mid which floods the ge and gets rid of even MORE demand. Then its time to sell min, now the demand on ge is completely gone and I still have more Santas. Finally, junk trade comes in where Santa price continue to plummet, by this time, ge database will show a decline and forum will have people selling for junk. All the other Santa merchants now panic, and you get your giant price crash.

120dgl.jpg