Crushing and stabbing weps never used.

quelmotz

I think that the scimmy has to be nerfed cos its just too powerful. In medieval times, swords were supposed to be the best weps but this is just a game so every wep should be equal. look at ancient romans and chinese. if the spear was really such a crappy wep, these empires wouldnt have existed. the vikings were fearsome people who used axes to raid the british, etc. And maces were also quite powerful and could easily stun enemies and deal a finishing power blow. too many games are damn unfair towards swords IMO.

im not a mem so i dont know about obby weps and whips and stuff, but if the whip is really so good, it should be nerfed too.

about that crushing wep that was as fast as a whip but incapable of training def, i think it should be changed into a huge maul that is damn slow(Speed 1) but has very high str bonuses and ok accuracy.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sara sword and the zammy spear are both inferior to the whip because they cannot be wielded with a defender. Or anything else for that matter, you are giving up an entire armour slot just to wield a weapon that is only as powerful as a whip.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

The sara sword and the zammy spear are both inferior to the whip because they cannot be wielded with a defender. Or anything else for that matter, you are giving up an entire armour slot just to wield a weapon that is only as powerful as a whip.

Though for the Spear you get defence bonuses close to those of a defender, and instead of strength and attack bonuses, you can do more than slash. The Sara Sword gets Strength training and a very worthwhile special attack in exchange too.

Whip + Defender is not the best combo in the game at every possible circumstance, as most people seem to think it is. There are actually a good number of times where it's not the best idea to use it... It's more or less high strength and attack over efficiency.

In medieval times, swords were supposed to be the best weps but this is just a game so every wep should be equal. look at ancient romans and chinese. if the spear was really such a crappy wep, these empires wouldnt have existed. the vikings were fearsome people who used axes to raid the british, etc. And maces were also quite powerful and could easily stun enemies and deal a finishing power blow. too many games are damn unfair towards swords IMO.

Um, no.

If you want to look at it from a historical perspective, you'd have horses, or camels. Why are spears so effective? Look at the scene in Braveheart, when they're charging with a bunch of horses, and at the very last second, they pick up those incredibly long spears (twice the length of the longest man). Its the same concept of jousting, the longer your spear, the more advantage you had.

Spears were not used in hand to hand combat. (Well, unless there was a phalanx but that isn't 1v1), And actually, swords were not used for stabbing or slashing. They didn't stay sharpened for long, after hitting armour a few times, they'd quickly be dulled.

In fact, going up against a fully armoured knight, your best option would be to hit him from a far distance with a big stick (knock him out... not stab him), or use a long bow or a crossbow (from serious distance, serious ownage).

If it was a knight against another knight, it'd be fight until knocking one down, and then jab a [bleep]e through their eye-hole, see Kingdom of Heaven.

oh, and GF Dark_Aura, and a_local_guy. I suppose you win.

:P

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Defenders arnt exactly a prize winner themselfs, they add only a mere amount of strength bonus, something i can replace with prayer and at a higher defence the missing sheild slot makes up for it.

and yes sees_all1. now bow before me. :lol:

Popoto.~<3

Defenders arnt exactly a prize winner themselfs, they add only a mere amount of strength bonus, something i can replace with prayer and at a higher defence the missing sheild slot makes up for it.

+19 slash? I'll keep my defender over that small defence boost that I won't need 99.5% of the time.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

In medieval times, swords were supposed to be the best weps but this is just a game so every wep should be equal. look at ancient romans and chinese. if the spear was really such a crappy wep, these empires wouldnt have existed. the vikings were fearsome people who used axes to raid the british, etc. And maces were also quite powerful and could easily stun enemies and deal a finishing power blow. too many games are damn unfair towards swords IMO.

Um, no.

If you want to look at it from a historical perspective, you'd have horses, or camels. Why are spears so effective? Look at the scene in Braveheart, when they're charging with a bunch of horses, and at the very last second, they pick up those incredibly long spears (twice the length of the longest man). Its the same concept of jousting, the longer your spear, the more advantage you had.

Spears were not used in hand to hand combat. (Well, unless there was a phalanx but that isn't 1v1), And actually, swords were not used for stabbing or slashing. They didn't stay sharpened for long, after hitting armour a few times, they'd quickly be dulled.

In fact, going up against a fully armoured knight, your best option would be to hit him from a far distance with a big stick (knock him out... not stab him), or use a long bow or a crossbow (from serious distance, serious ownage).

If it was a knight against another knight, it'd be fight until knocking one down, and then jab a [bleep]e through their eye-hole, see Kingdom of Heaven.

spears were actually used in hand to hand combat if u had ever watched any chinese war movies. the spear was a versatile and powerful weapon which could easily pierce chain armor and do high damage.

ok longbows and crossbows were powerful but im talking bout melee so range is out of the question.

so if your theory was true, it would be better to kill someone in war in a hit so axes and spears which were more powerful, would be better than a sword. so that proves my point that games are biased towardss swords.

Um, no.

spears were actually used in hand to hand combat if u had ever watched any chinese war movies. the spear was a versatile and powerful weapon which could easily pierce chain armor and do high damage.

ok longbows and crossbows were powerful but im talking bout melee so range is out of the question.

so if your theory was true, it would be better to kill someone in war in a hit so axes and spears which were more powerful, would be better than a sword. so that proves my point that games are biased towardss swords.

Because movies are different from reality. we have proof of more swordsmanship that spear work, and im pritty sure the English/British army back then were more tipped in scales towards the classic of weaponry with Longswords and Claymores.

Popoto.~<3

Stabbing and crushed are used, just not nearly as common as scim/whips because of their general proficiency.

Rock crabs are easily hit with an obby maul with 1 attack. They're super weak to crush.

Stab is useful for hide beasts- Try a Zam spear on the KBD- yes it can be done on those and its the best way to kill it.

untitled8copyiu7.gif

I think it's just a coincidence that the most powerful and versatile weapons are slash.

I mean, Jagex could as easily have made some kind of "abyssal maul" or something, but they made the whip, and it had to have slashing damage.

As to the thing about medieval weaponry - in 1 on 1 combat, all kinds of cutting blades were the most powerful. A spear isn't as easy to maneuver, same applies to axes/hammers. For a blunt weapon to be effective, the person had to had great strength.

In army-on-army, halberds and spears (mostly versus cavalry) were used as well. Axes were not just axes as we know them today. Most of them had this special [bleep]e on the backside which was used to pierce armor.

However, the main hand-to-hand weapons have always been slashing weapons. Even the Romans used a type of short sword called "gladius".

Game_Proffy.png

apparently, they changed it form the transition to rs2 from rsc so that weapons would have speed, in the hope that more people would use the other weapons that were being ignored (everything except baxe and 2h). I never played rsc, I read it in an archive when I asked this question to someone who gave me a link. I don't have the link myself, but im pretty sure it was detailed in a 2004 update.

Instead, everyone uses the perfect balance of speed and power, schimmy, and ignores everything else.

The schimmy either needs to be nerfed somehow, or the other wepons need to get faster (in the case of weak ones) or stronger(in the case of slow ones) so that they can all generate decent melee exp. Also, the whip is too much of a juggernaut. It needs a decent competitor that can be acessed by an average player.

I believe scimitar will not be nerfed, and the specs of the current weapons will not be changed, unless there is a new RS release, like RS3. That is to say that Jagex will only add in weapons with different stats, to try and balance their game more. I think a weapon as fast as a whip, and as strong as a whip, but can train strength is needed. There needs to be some downside to this weapon though, it has to degrade, need sharpened, etc. Then the base will split between this weapon and the scimitar.

How bout a weapon as fast and strong as a whip, but incapable of training defense. It also hits crush instead of slash.

No.

Yes.

Of course the pure says yes. If this happened "whip II" would kill rune pures and mains, be the next godsword, whips would fall to 500k (eventually), and everyone would be 99 strength. How about a weapon better than whip that only trains controlled? (only 3hit answer)

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

I think it's just a coincidence that the most powerful and versatile weapons are slash.

I mean, Jagex could as easily have made some kind of "abyssal maul" or something, but they made the whip, and it had to have slashing damage.

As to the thing about medieval weaponry - in 1 on 1 combat, all kinds of cutting blades were the most powerful. A spear isn't as easy to maneuver, same applies to axes/hammers. For a blunt weapon to be effective, the person had to had great strength.

In army-on-army, halberds and spears (mostly versus cavalry) were used as well. Axes were not just axes as we know them today. Most of them had this special [bleep]e on the backside which was used to pierce armor.

However, the main hand-to-hand weapons have always been slashing weapons. Even the Romans used a type of short sword called "gladius".

Just to veer of topic a bit, what do you think might cause more body harm or potential death? a common stab you can survive depending on location while a slash not only tears thru skin but also can lop off a limb or two, causing immense blood loss. though this doesnt apply in rs because we have no blood. :lol:

Popoto.~<3

[hide=Wall o' Death]

apparently, they changed it form the transition to rs2 from rsc so that weapons would have speed, in the hope that more people would use the other weapons that were being ignored (everything except baxe and 2h). I never played rsc, I read it in an archive when I asked this question to someone who gave me a link. I don't have the link myself, but im pretty sure it was detailed in a 2004 update.

Instead, everyone uses the perfect balance of speed and power, schimmy, and ignores everything else.

The schimmy either needs to be nerfed somehow, or the other wepons need to get faster (in the case of weak ones) or stronger(in the case of slow ones) so that they can all generate decent melee exp. Also, the whip is too much of a juggernaut. It needs a decent competitor that can be acessed by an average player.

I believe scimitar will not be nerfed, and the specs of the current weapons will not be changed, unless there is a new RS release, like RS3. That is to say that Jagex will only add in weapons with different stats, to try and balance their game more. I think a weapon as fast as a whip, and as strong as a whip, but can train strength is needed. There needs to be some downside to this weapon though, it has to degrade, need sharpened, etc. Then the base will split between this weapon and the scimitar.

How bout a weapon as fast and strong as a whip, but incapable of training defense. It also hits crush instead of slash.

No.

Yes.

Of course the pure says yes. If this happened "whip II" would kill rune pures and mains, be the next godsword, whips would fall to 500k (eventually), and everyone would be 99 strength. How about a weapon better than whip that only trains controlled? (only 3hit answer)

[/hide]

Had you not asked only 3hit to answer... Think before you post slippery slope arguments?

The whip's been here for closing in on 4 years, if what you say about 99 strength is true, we'd have everyone at 99 attack and defence from it. A weapon like the whip for Crush would be a decent addition, in any case, though we have the Sara Sword that fits the strength training crush bill.

As for weapon mechanics, stabbing weapons here seem to be the precision ones, crushing weapons are the inacurate powerful ones, and slashing weapons are somewhere between.

Just to veer of topic a bit, what do you think might cause more body harm or potential death? a common stab you can survive depending on location while a slash not only tears thru skin but also can lop off a limb or two, causing immense blood loss. though this doesnt apply in rs because we have no blood.

exactly. this does not apply in runescape. its just a game so everything should be as fair as possible.

and why cant a person have great str in runescape? right now about 68500+ ppl have 99 str. a spear might not be easy to maneuver, but it should still be powerful. there isnt a stat in runescape called "maneuverability" or something. spears should be concentrated towards stab and a bit of slash. have you ever seen people in war trying to maul people with a spear??

Because movies are different from reality. we have proof of more swordsmanship that spear work, and im pritty sure the English/British army back then were more tipped in scales towards the classic of weaponry with Longswords and Claymores.

fine no movies. but if you checked out wikipedia or any encyclopedia, the spear was called the "king of all weapons" in Chinese. a weapon that was crap would never have got this title.

[snip]

Just to veer of topic a bit, what do you think might cause more body harm or potential death? a common stab you can survive depending on location while a slash not only tears thru skin but also can lop off a limb or two, causing immense blood loss. though this doesnt apply in rs because we have no blood. :lol:

Haha, yes. Slashing weapons tend to produce more lethal wounds. A decapitation is an instant death, a well-placed slash across the chest is too. With a stabbing weapon, you need great precision, knowledge of human body and quick reaction (quicker than for a sword or a sabre). Of course, spears have greater reach, but in 1-on-1 combat, that is negated by the weapon's bulkiness.

snip

exactly. this does not apply in runescape. its just a game so everything should be as fair as possible.

You used real-life examples, so I retorted with real-life examples. In a game, it's up to the developers. They seem to favor slashing weapons, can't do much about it, it's personal preference.

snip

and why cant a person have great str in runescape? right now about 68500+ ppl have 99 str. a spear might not be easy to maneuver, but it should still be powerful. there isnt a stat in runescape called "maneuverability" or something. spears should be concentrated towards stab and a bit of slash. have you ever seen people in war trying to maul people with a spear??

At the same level of strength, slashing weapons are still more effective. What is better with huge strength, a powerful blunt blow, or a slash that nearly cuts the enemy in two?

fine no movies. but if you checked out wikipedia or any encyclopedia, the spear was called the "king of all weapons" in Chinese. a weapon that was crap would never have got this title.

Never rely on wikipedia for facts. Just an advise ::'

As to the Chinese and spears, like I said, spears are a decent weapon, just not in the sort of combat that Runescape has to offer.

Game_Proffy.png

Runescape is FAR from real life seriously. Who can carry a few billion coins in their backpack? Who walks around with 28 swordfishes jabbing out of their backpack in all directions? How can a weapon be used for 5 years and not be dulled? How can a whip(string) be more powerful(in strength) than a solid sword made of metal??

i think that the weapons are fine as they are now, maybe a little tweaking needed for warhammers, longswords and shortswords, but the rest are just fine. I see people in F2P training with Rune Scimys, Baxes, 2Hs, Longswords (not saying that theyre all good...) but I think the players are fine with how the weapons are.

Personally, I love to bring a Rune Dagger with me when Im in PvP Worlds (I only go F2P PvP, avoiding D Claws PJers as much as possible...) and they own when I find a person in a chainbody or if I no arm people.

Rune shortsword is better stab then dagger.

but i still use dagger because of the speed

That's a terrible idea. Scimitar will outhit dagger 3 to 2 on any armor.

Dagger v Rune plate?

GF Rune plate

S1r_eatalot.png

Attack bonuses?? Defenders are pretty good man. Maybe you just dont like them cuz you cant get em =P.