bands/artists you have trouble listening to

WookieeMania12

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

For me its Alice in Chains because they expressed emotions not seen in most grunge bands. That and Breaking Benjamin because anytime I listen to them, I think of some bad memories I wish never happened.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

A fair bit of modern pop music and modern hip-hop.

Overtly whiny pop-punk/emo.

Brutal death metal that's just a clone of Suffocation and/or Devourment.

Power metal. Open to suggestions for good bands, though.

Unoriginal metalcore with generic breakdowns.

Try out Blind Guardian, their old stuff is kind of cheesy (but still great). Try out their new album A Twist in the Myth though. For their old stuff, The Forgotten Tales.

Demons & Wizards as well, which is a group with Blind Guardian's singer and Iced Earth's guitar player. Their self-titled album ranks among the best power metal albums ever (imo)

Try out Blind Guardian, their old stuff is kind of cheesy (but still great). Try out their new album A Twist in the Myth though. For their old stuff, The Forgotten Tales.

Demons & Wizards as well, which is a group with Blind Guardian's singer and Iced Earth's guitar player. Their self-titled album ranks among the best power metal albums ever (imo)

You've pretty much hit on why I don't like much power metal. The cheesy nature of the lyrics, vocals and music just puts me off. I'll give those a try, though.

Warrior, can you even understand what they are saying half the time?

Because for a lot of bands I sure as hell know I cant.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

From what power metal I have heard the vocals are clean, so I can hear them. Having said that, I can't really argue that the lyrics are cheesy considering I like a fair bit of death metal.

From what power metal I have heard the vocals are clean, so I can hear them. Having said that, I can't really argue that the lyrics are cheesy considering I like a fair bit of death metal.

Have you tried Hibria? I'm not a fan of power metal, but I really like them. The 'Defying The Rules' album is great.

EDIT: haha holy [cabbage], wrong album/band

2009rb9.jpg

For me its Alice in Chains because they expressed emotions not seen in most grunge bands. That and Breaking Benjamin because anytime I listen to them, I think of some bad memories I wish never happened.

I have the same problem with Alice in Chains. I like many of there songs but it seems to go too 'slow'. Hard to explain

258uo8n.jpg

As far as Power metal goes, I'd say try Imaginations From the Other Side by Blind Guardian or Burnt Offerings by Iced Earth. Also, try the album Reckoning Night by Sonata Arctica, and Once and Oceanborn by Nightwish. Though, Once probably isn't really power metal any more...

While Power Metal is inherently cheesy, those bands don't go singing about riding dragons and flying unicorns like crap like DragonForce and Rhapsody of Fire.

As far as the topic goes, I have problems listening to things without clear production for the most part, unless it is black metal, in which case I can stand down to about Burzum level sound quality. Also, I have problems listening to music when I don't like the vocalist, though I can stand pretty crappy ones like Billy Corgan and James LaBrie.

Oh, and mathcore/math rock annoys the crap out of me aside from The Fall of Troy.

As far as Power metal goes, I'd say try Imaginations From the Other Side by Blind Guardian or Burnt Offerings by Iced Earth. Also, try the album Reckoning Night by Sonata Arctica, and Once and Oceanborn by Nightwish. Though, Once probably isn't really power metal any more...

While Power Metal is inherently cheesy, those bands don't go singing about riding dragons and flying unicorns like crap like DragonForce and Rhapsody of Fire.

As far as the topic goes, I have problems listening to things without clear production for the most part, unless it is black metal, in which case I can stand down to about Burzum level sound quality. Also, I have problems listening to music when I don't like the vocalist, though I can stand pretty crappy ones like Billy Corgan and James LaBrie.

Oh, and mathcore/math rock annoys the crap out of me aside from The Fall of Troy.

Am I the only person who actually really likes James LaBrie?

Am I the only person who actually really likes James LaBrie?

I used to like him when I was a Dream theater fanboy, but I've moved on to a lot of better things since them and I realize his voice really isn't that special and doesn't really work with most of their songs, imo. Seeing them live really didn't help, his vocals live are especially bad.

For some mysterious reason i can't get into soul & jazz music, just to name an artist i recall in Terry Callier; many had told to listen to his works before especially his What Color is Love album, i recognize his talent but simply i can't get into his music, i haven't give a good try tough, i think i'm going to give the album a few more listens.

My Dying Bride is very hard to listen to at the best of times.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhxhEIRqH4M

I used to like him when I was a Dream theater fanboy, but I've moved on to a lot of better things since them and I realize his voice really isn't that special and doesn't really work with most of their songs, imo. Seeing them live really didn't help, his vocals live are especially bad.
He lacks emotion. He's like a robot, just like the rest of those DT [bleep]s.

Aaron from the aforementioned My Dying Bride, however, cannot sing clean at all; but it's full of emotion.

Kamelot isn't all that cheesy.Its a little,but in Epica/Black Halo you really think Roy is Ariel/Mephisto speaking to you.

Its quite hard for me to listen to Chinese songs,they're harder to interpret than Death Metal,honestly.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

For some mysterious reason i can't get into soul & jazz music, just to name an artist i recall in Terry Callier; many had told to listen to his works before especially his What Color is Love album, i recognize his talent but simply i can't get into his music, i haven't give a good try tough, i think i'm going to give the album a few more listens.

For some good jazz, perhaps try John Zorn? His album Naked City is the only jazz album I've found that I like (though I haven't really looked to far), though i wouldn't class it as strictly jazz; there are a lot of different genres involved, even grindcore.

Most Pop, Jazz, Dance, and all of the people from Canadian / American Idol. I dont think people from the shows are "real" singers. They didnt go out and worked hard at their own music, and showed it to many record labels, praying for one to sign them to a contract. They just go into the huge competition and the one with the automatic record label (the winner) is the one with the most votes by the fans. Yeah, I guess the fans like them, but maybe cuz everyone in the competition is bad and theyre the best?

Iunno... maybe cuz everyone there sings songs Im not interested in -.-. Im more of a Hip Hop/Rap and R&B guy, but Im getting into Rock.

[James LaBrae] lacks emotion. He's like a robot, just like the rest of those DT [bleep].

I would respectfully disagree. Train of Thought for instance, is full of anger and emotion. Octavarium also plays a bit out of emotions as well. I'm guessing you have only listened to Pull Me Under and assumed all DT songs are the same.

I have the same problem with Alice in Chains. I like many of there songs but it seems to go too 'slow'. Hard to explain

Actually thats not what I posted. I mostly said that because of how gritty and depressing their songs are, its difficult for me to listen to them.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

[James LaBrae] lacks emotion. He's like a robot, just like the rest of those DT [bleep].

I would respectfully disagree. Train of Thought for instance, is full of anger and emotion. Octavarium also plays a bit out of emotions as well. I'm guessing you have only listened to Pull Me Under and assumed all DT songs are the same.

No I've listened to most, if not all, of their material when I was first getting into metal.

And most of DT is just widdlywiddlywoodlywoodlywah guitar solos and songs that are 20 minutes longer than they actually need to be.

OT: Esoteric is hard to listen to:

It sounds like something belching from hell.

[hide=]

Actually thats not what I posted. I mostly said that because of how gritty and depressing their songs are, its difficult for me to listen to them.

[/hide]

Thats what I'm talking about lol

258uo8n.jpg

Jamaican dancehall (sort of like rap, but more instruments and very clear vocals). Cool songs but I can understand maybe only 15-20% of the lyrics because a lot of the songs have heavy Kingston slang and non-mainstream English words. My friend listens to them all the time in his car.