Tip.It Times: 8 Feb 2009 "Penguin Bannings' Addressed"

n_odie

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Good, an article that's not all about bashing Jagex's CS. At least some people have some common sense -.-

Apparently not you. There's a reason about some complaints, not everyone could do the glitch, yet anyone that clicked the penguin multiple times was perm banned, regardless of whether or not they got more than ONE point. This shows lack of CS skill. If you don't even know anything other than what Jagex is brainwashing you with, then there's no reason to even post about this issue.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, an article that's not all about bashing Jagex's CS. At least some people have some common sense -.-

Apparently not you. There's a reason about some complaints, not everyone could do the glitch, yet anyone that clicked the penguin multiple times was perm banned, regardless of whether or not they got more than ONE point. This shows lack of CS skill. If you don't even know anything other than what Jagex is brainwashing you with, then there's no reason to even post about this issue.

So you think they're deliberately lying to cover this up? Because the official statement directly contradicts you. Only accounts with 250+ extra clicks were perma-banned.

We have now assessed the players who have been banned for abusing a bug involving being able to spot a penguin infinitely rather than the usual once. For the next few hours we will be in the process of taking the appropriate action for each account.

They fall into three categories.

In the first category, 159 players have been permanently banned. These are players who have spotted a penguin at least 250 times and cashed in their points. Most had spotted significantly more than 250. Many had spotted several thousand penguins.

When you bear in mind that you can only spot 50 penguins at once. This means the players had to click on a penguin 50 times go to Larry for lots of rewards, then go back to the penguin and click 50 times go to Larry etc etc. Thats not something you can possibly do by accident.

All these people got enough penguin points to gain hundreds of thousands of xp points in hard to level skills. For several players it was millions of xp gained.

This is an extremely flagrant abuse of rule 4.

We are very aware that we have a lot of customers who play this game mostly to compete in the hiscore tables. Using bugs to gain this much xp is not fair for all the many honest players who compete for places in the hiscore table by putting in a lot of effort to get up their experience by playing legitimately.

In the second category there are a number of players who also knowingly abused the bug and deliberately gained extra rewards from it. The numbers of penguins caught and the number of times they cashed in their points at Larry is quite clearly more than an accident, but the advantaged gained was not obscene.

These players received temporary bans for breaking rule 4

In the third category there are a number of accounts which we felt banning them was a little too harsh. They had all spotted several more penguins than normal. Contrary to what some people have claimed we didnt ban anyone who spotted very small numbers extra, but we feel we should have set the number even higher as on further review there are a number of users banned who we dont think were deliberately trying to break the rules.

Nearly all of the those accounts were unbanned on Friday night, which is only two or three hours after they were initially banned, so hopefully it didnt inconvenience to many people. We apologise to any of these people who did lose playtime as a result. We are giving some free membership credit to those users.

So you think they're deliberately lying to cover this up? Because the official statement directly contradicts you. Only accounts with 250+ extra clicks were perma-banned.

Yes. They are trying to hide the fact that they are embarrassed because they can't even REALLY see who abused it or not. The only thing they could do was see how many times someone clicked the penguin. Now assume someone heard about the glitch, wasn't sure if or how it worked, so they then clicked a penguin many times as it kept saying "You have already spotted this penguin". The player is confused as they heard the glitch allowed you to keep spotting. Finally, after 5 mins of clicking it trying to figure it out, someone tells them the glitch only works on certain accounts. The player then leaves as they know why it did not work. 2 days later the player gets banned permanantly for bug abuse even though they gained absolutely 0 points, they got banned for CLICKING the penguin. Sure, attempted bug abuse could be punished fairly. Permanant bans? That's over punished.

Yes. They are trying to hide the fact that they are embarrassed because they can't even REALLY see who abused it or not. The only thing they could do was see how many times someone clicked the penguin. Now assume someone heard about the glitch, wasn't sure if or how it worked, so they then clicked a penguin many times as it kept saying "You have already spotted this penguin". The player is confused as they heard the glitch allowed you to keep spotting. Finally, after 5 mins of clicking it trying to figure it out, someone tells them the glitch only works on certain accounts. The player then leaves as they know why it did not work. 2 days later the player gets banned permanantly for bug abuse even though they gained absolutely 0 points, they got banned for CLICKING the penguin. Sure, attempted bug abuse could be punished fairly. Permanant bans? That's over punished.

Only 159 players received permanent bans. All of them had re-clicked a penguin 50 times, went to Larry to claim the xp, went back to the penguin, and repeated the cycle at least 5 times.

Jagex has absolutely no reason to be embarrassed. No, they cannot always tell who successfully abused and who didn't. Yes, they do make mistakes. Is that their fault? Is it something to be ashamed of? Not really.. They only have so much evidence to work with and I'm sure they try as hard as possible to make sure that someone really did abuse a glitch before taking action against their account. Mistakes do happen and a lot of them are corrected. You can't expect them to be perfect all the time when they have millions of users to deal with and sort through.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Only 159 players received permanent bans. All of them had re-clicked a penguin 50 times, went to Larry to claim the xp, went back to the penguin, and repeated the cycle at least 5 times.

Funny. That's once again what Jagex said. Do you know that for a fact? Obviously not, because I sure did not repeat any cycle like that, and I'm perm banned. If you couldn't tell, the story I posted was my case. I heard about some sort of glitch, went to the pengs not fully knowing what it was, just visiting the packed area in world 60, clicked it multiple times trying to figure out what was actually going on, until I was notified that it just won't work for some people. So, with my 1 penguin point off that 1 penguin, I got perm banned. So once again, stop posting stuff Jagex says, it's not at all true.

Jagex has absolutely no reason to be embarrassed. No, they cannot always tell who successfully abused and who didn't. Yes, they do make mistakes. Is that their fault? Is it something to be ashamed of? Not really.. They only have so much evidence to work with and I'm sure they try as hard as possible to make sure that someone really did abuse a glitch before taking action against their account. Mistakes do happen and a lot of them are corrected. You can't expect them to be perfect all the time when they have millions of users to deal with and sort through.

I definately do not expect them to be perfect. They have proven many, many.. many times that they are far from it. However, when dealing with accounts that are 3, 4, even 5 years or older, they should be a bit more cautious about going and permanently banning them. If the account gained under 50k exp in the entire week of the penguin incident does that look like someone that bug abused to gain exp? Obviously they could have handled this much better. Unfortunately that was not the case.

Funny. That's once again what Jagex said. Do you know that for a fact? Obviously not, because I sure did not repeat any cycle like that, and I'm perm banned. If you couldn't tell, the story I posted was my case. I heard about some sort of glitch, went to the pengs not fully knowing what it was, just visiting the packed area in world 60, clicked it multiple times trying to figure out what was actually going on, until I was notified that it just won't work for some people. So, with my 1 penguin point off that 1 penguin, I got perm banned. So once again, stop posting stuff Jagex says, it's not at all true.

Or, you could be lying. For all I know you made it up just to troll. Forgive me for believing the company's official statement over your implausible conspiracy theory.

I definately do not expect them to be perfect. They have proven many, many.. many times that they are far from it. However, when dealing with accounts that are 3, 4, even 5 years or older, they should be a bit more cautious about going and permanently banning them. If the account gained under 50k exp in the entire week of the penguin incident does that look like someone that bug abused to gain exp? Obviously they could have handled this much better. Unfortunately that was not the case.

Account age has nothing to do with whether or not that person is capable of violating the rules. I have seen proof of that on Tip.it. In fact, some of the biggest rule-breakers that I've seen have also had some of the oldest accounts. And even if you did not get any xp from the penguins, abusing the glitch was still your intention if you clicked multiple times.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Account age has nothing to do with whether or not that person is capable of violating the rules. I have seen proof of that on Tip.it. In fact, some of the biggest rule-breakers that I've seen have also had some of the oldest accounts. And even if you did not get any xp from the penguins, abusing the glitch was still your intention if you clicked multiple times.

Or clicking multiple times was to try and figure out WTH people were talking about, curious about all the fuss. Additionally, abusing and intention are two things. No gain = No rule broken = Not entitled to perm bans. Never did I say old accounts do not break rules. I said that when banning old players, who have given them hundreds of dollars for membership, they should be more cautious. Do not change my wording please.

Or, you could be lying. For all I know you made it up just to troll. Forgive me for believing the company's official statement over your implausible conspiracy theory.

Sure I could be lying. Unless I happened to ever so convienently vid the situation. OH! Look what I found:

Tell me how many times it tells me that I received points for spotting that penguin please. Or I can save you the time. Once.

But what he's implying is that a four or five year old account has a LOT of time poured into it, and the player is often a loyal member. So they should FULLY assess the situation before they take action. I'm not saying his story is true, but I do think it very well could happen.

The thing with Jagex is, in a crisis situation, many players view them like many people around the world view Bush: "Dear Lord, what's the monkey going to do NOW?!?" And often with good reason. Jagex has made enough boneheaded decisions to land them a permanent leadership role in a squad of Ogryns.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Or clicking multiple times was to try and figure out WTH people were talking about, curious about all the fuss. Additionally, abusing and intention are two things. No gain = No rule broken = Not entitled to perm bans. Never did I say old accounts do not break rules. I said that when banning old players, who have given them hundreds of dollars for membership, they should be more cautious. Do not change my wording please.

So if you knew that there was fuss, you knew that there was a glitch, and rather than go to a forum where you could have easily found information, you decided to try it out for yourself.

I did not "change your wording," I simply misinterpreted your post. I don't necessarily think that people with old accounts should receive special attention. Like I said before, Jagex has thousands of accounts to review and they can't spend months examining each and every account in depth. I do, however, think that they need a much better appeal system and should more thoroughly examine accounts when a user sends in a ban appeal. But that's a whole different matter.

------------------------------------

Now your ban may not have been deserved, but that is no reason to bash Jagex, accuse them of brainwashing, say that they basically suck at banning people, that they're embarrassed, etc. Yes, maybe they did make a mistake on YOUR ban, but that doesn't mean that everybody who got banned didn't deserve it. To me it just seems like you're mad at them for screwing up on you. That doesn't mean that they're a terrible team who doesn't know what they're doing because from what we can conclude, you are in the minority here. It seems like at this point, only a handful of people have been banned when they shouldn't have been. When you're dealing with hundreds of bug abusers, you're bound to make a few mistakes here and there.

Posted Image

Now your ban may not have been deserved, but that is no reason to bash Jagex, accuse them of brainwashing, say that they basically suck at banning people, that they're embarrassed, etc. Yes, maybe they did make a mistake on YOUR ban, but that doesn't mean that everybody who got banned didn't deserve it. To me it just seems like you're mad at them for screwing up on you. That doesn't mean that they're a terrible team who doesn't know what they're doing because from what we can conclude, you are in the minority here. It seems like at this point, only a handful of people have been banned when they shouldn't have been. When you're dealing with hundreds of bug abusers, you're bound to make a few mistakes here and there.

Well I appreciate that you finally see I did not neccesarily deserve a ban. Now the reason I am so upset about this situation is this:

-I've had to deal with many suck-ups that know nothing about the situation

-This is the SECOND time I have lost a multi-year-old account I WORKED on due to a wrongful ban. Infact, it was exactly 2 years before this ban that I lost my first account. If I, one person, was wrongfully banned twice, I can only imagine how many people have gone through it. I never said everyone that got banned did not deserve it. In my opinion anyone that did receive loads of exp should have been banned/rolled back/etc etc. But as I pointed out the reason this has been a difficult situation is I constantly have to set people straight that think this was a successful banning operation. You used the words "few mistakes here and there" very lightly. One single wrongful ban is a tradgedy honestly. Years and days and hours of work to be taken by accident? The mistake on their part may not be a big deal, but on the other side of the computer screen kids are getting distraught over losing their accounts. Luckily for me I stopped caring strongly about this game 2 years ago after the first ban. Even so, getting banned still annoys me.

G P Kid, it doesn't even sound like you, one who got banned for the bug, knows how the bug worked. Ironic.

EVERYONE who got multiple points kept getting the message that they had already spotted it. That was the bug, even though it told them they had spotted it - the game still kept giving them points. So if your evidence that you didn't get points is "it gave me the 'you've already spotted this penguin' message", how do you expect us to believe you?

Having said that, I do agree with your view of jagex more than all these people going on about "yeah! it's time we start trusting them!" Fact is they're a company, so they're more focused on the bottom line than anything else and that won't change anytime soon.

I'll start trusting them when they start doing what they should for the game.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

If I recall correctly, this is a thread for discussing the merits of the tip.it times articles, not for ranting about how much you hate jagex.

If you really feel like doing that, go make a thread over in rants and argue with the similar-minded people there.

Too many of us get caught up in the Jagex hating and forget to ever step back and look at the things they do well. Like the systems your local goverment runs, they are only paid attention when something breaks down rather than when it works properly.

It's a small shame that we don't see thankful posts from the people that had their accounts unbanned, just the complaints of people like G_P_Kid up there ^

I concede that I would probably feel the same as him if my account had gotten banned, but as my account stands I see a positive side to cases like this. (Hopefully) G_P_Kid's complaints instil a sense of fear into the average player. It's much better for everybody if people report and refrain from abusing bugs, if it takes fear for their account to motivate a player to do that then so be it.

It would be nice to see Jagex become a little more open. Make the homepage a little less commercial with the news layout, a little less formal. Give us small updates on the main page to let us know what's going on. Tell us about problems like the penguin 'incident' as it happened. Let us feel informed as to what they are doing. Give us the feeling that the mighty Jagex is right and just, but that they are also kind and caring.

Then when Jagex is both transparent and responsible enough for us to trust them, maybe there'll be a little less ranting.

My opinion is that the people who tried to attempt the glitch, even if they were unsuccessful, were dealt with rather well. I mean, if some attempted to break a rule but failed shouldn't they be punished. If someone attempts to rob a bank but fails they are still punished for it, this is what jagex did (although for something a lot less than robbing a bank :lol:) . And only people who clicked 250+ times were perm banned.

All in all, the articles were good, i tend not to be interested in fiction, but the penguin article really caught my interest, and i agree 100% with the writer.

A2xdnTr.png

X2LvGU2.png

Regarding the Penguin Banning article:

I think what the author is saying is true. I also think Jagex needs to start being a little more stern about some of the things they do. Sometimes to be a loving parent, you have to be mean and stand your ground to get a point across. I think Jagex needs to be mean sometimes and stand their ground no matter what, for players to get this message and show them who's really in control of this game.

The penguin bannings were a step in the right direction for them. Not if they only did stuff like that to other rules and not just #4.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Sure I could be lying. Unless I happened to ever so convienently vid the situation. OH! Look what I found:

Tell me how many times it tells me that I received points for spotting that penguin please. Or I can save you the time. Once.

Yes, because 4 minutes of film for a bug that lasted over an hour obviously conclusively proves you hadn't abused it before you started filming, right? :roll: Whether you did abuse it or not, I don't really care. I do, however, believe Jagex, who has access to just about everything going on in the game at all times, over a forum troll bashing the company because he was caught breaking the rules (or at least, trying to).

As even you said, you were there to try "find out" what the bug was. Whether you got it to work or not, again, I don't care, but are you seriously shocked about being banned for "attempting" to abuse a bug, and think Jagex should be embarrassed?

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

All of these were poorly edited. They're riddled with errors.

Pick a thesis and stick to it! You don't need to talk about every aspect of the topic; you just need to talk about the ones that support your argument. :thumbup:

In a report or a debate topic, it is well-known that where possible, you are meant to show to the readers that you understand other peoples possible oppinions on the topic. This is to show that you have not only done the research, but you have not written off the fact that you may be wrong!

OT: The penguin post was both interesting, relevant and well structured! Well done!

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Obsidian Drops:-13 x Cape/ 6 x Shield/ 6 x Maul/ 750+ Onyx Tips

I really like the article on mass bannings. I'm as well tired of all the people complaining on Jagex. Jagex does a great job and they have proven that they can take care of such a huge game as RS is in a good way. Nobody can make everyone happy, but Jagex at least does the most happy. Great work, Jagex! :thumbsup:

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

My opinion is that the people who tried to attempt the glitch, even if they were unsuccessful, were dealt with rather well. I mean, if some attempted to break a rule but failed shouldn't they be punished. If someone attempts to rob a bank but fails they are still punished for it, this is what jagex did (although for something a lot less than robbing a bank :lol:) . And only people who clicked 250+ times were perm banned.

All in all, the articles were good, i tend not to be interested in fiction, but the penguin article really caught my interest, and i agree 100% with the writer.

People who didn't manage to abuse the glitch were still banned? Rofl?

I must have misunderstood, since I don't know much about the penguin bannings.

The people who couldn't abuse the glitch (from arriving too late) were still banned for clicking multiple times?

If so that's [bleep]ing ridiculous.

Zerker_jane.png

As even you said, you were there to try "find out" what the bug was. Whether you got it to work or not, again, I don't care, but are you seriously shocked about being banned for "attempting" to abuse a bug, and think Jagex should be embarrassed?

If someone attempts to swear and it's censored, are they muted? If someone attempts to multi-log and fails, are they banned for multiple logging in?

As for the bank robbery situation, unless they did something illegal - they wouldn't be punished. Chances are however, that they would either be holding people hostage at gunpoint while they attempt to rob it, or be doing something else that's illegal. Now for a more relevent example: If you attempt to speed, but you never exceed the speed limit - you cannot and will not be punished for it.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

If someone attempts to swear and it's censored, are they muted? If someone attempts to multi-log and fails, are they banned for multiple logging in?

As for the bank robbery situation, unless they did something illegal - they wouldn't be punished. Chances are however, that they would either be holding people hostage at gunpoint while they attempt to rob it, or be doing something else that's illegal. Now for a more relevent example: If you attempt to speed, but you never exceed the speed limit - you cannot and will not be punished for it.

it all depends on the situation in question, with the speeding, you cant prove they were attempting to speed without them actually doing it, the glitch was being used as an unfair advantage, people who tried to use this unfair advantage should and did get punished for it, censored language hardly gives an unfair advantage to the player either.

This is why i agree 100% with the writers article.

A2xdnTr.png

X2LvGU2.png

[hide=quotes]

it all depends on the situation in question, with the speeding, you cant prove they were attempting to speed without them actually doing it, the glitch was being used as an unfair advantage, people who tried to use this unfair advantage should and did get punished for it, censored language hardly gives an unfair advantage to the player either.

This is why i agree 100% with the writers article.

[/hide]

I hope/try to get a hilt every single time I kill a boss at GWD, yet if I were to actually get a hilt every single kill it would obviously be a glitch. So that's worthy of me getting banned?

Also for the speeding thing, the driver could be like "Yes, I was attempting to speed. It's just my p.o.s. car won't go that fast." and they would simply be like "Uh, k...but you didn't do anything illegal so be on your way."

Now, in Jagex's defense for banning G P Kid, when you sign up for an account they do say they reserve the right to ban your account for any reason whatsoever. Also, rule 4 states "You must not use or ATTEMPT to use any cheats or errors which you find in our software." So yes, it does sound like I'm contradicting myself - however, I hardly see rule 4 as a valid rule in the first place because it's wording is so horrible and Jagex has already admitted that it's basically "if we call it a bug, it's a bug and anyone who did it is a bug abuser". They could just as well change it to "Rule 4 - Be mind readers and don't do what we don't want you to do".

All of these were poorly edited. They're riddled with errors.

Pick a thesis and stick to it! You don't need to talk about every aspect of the topic; you just need to talk about the ones that support your argument. :thumbup:

In a report or a debate topic, it is well-known that where possible, you are meant to show to the readers that you understand other peoples possible oppinions on the topic. This is to show that you have not only done the research, but you have not written off the fact that you may be wrong!

OT: The penguin post was both interesting, relevant and well structured! Well done!

Any chance of at translation here? Why did you quote troacctid, a regular and highly articulate poster, before writing seemingly unrelated drivel that was "poorly edited, riddled with errors"?

Penguin Bannings-

Now I won't spout off saying that 'I didn't say anything bad about jagex' (Even though I didn't :P), but like the author said you have to respect them for the way they handled it. A very classy Jagex in my opinion. I don't really get why anyone is complaining about spelling, sure it adds more respect to the peice, but hell we're all tipiters it's not like we're trying to impress rune HQ. (not that we'd have to do anything more than spell the title right)

RuneHQ does not come into it at all. The authors should be trying to impress us the readers. Reading articles that are badly edited, poorly punctuated and littered with spelling mistakes leads me to think: "Way to go, for a 10 year old." It is basic stuff that ANYONE who wants to write ANYTHING absolutely MUST do right or should expect to be strongly criticised for getting wrong.

Sorry Tripsis, but Jagex has EVERYTHING to be embarrassed about. A glitch of this kind should never have made it through rigorous quality control testing, the fact it did is something that they do need to address. Given the amount of money Jagex as a company make, and the wages they are able to offer to their workforce (all quite reasonable, trust me, I looked the other day), mistakes like this cannot be written off as "just an accident", or "nothing to be embarrassed about".

Multinational computing companies would lose £millions (as a minimum) for mistakes on this kind of scale, and would probably never recover from the loss of business. It is fortunate for Jagex that their fan base is more forgiving and that they offer something which their closest rivals cannot, but they should ALWAYS be embarrassed and apologetic for mistakes that originate solely from within their own company.

In the long run, they did an ok job on damage limitation, but for the players permanently banned, some of whom may well have spent hundreds of pounds/dollars on their characters, Jagex let them down badly. The fact that they did not openly stand up and take the flak for their own mistakes as well as dealing appropriately with rule breakers is an absolute shambles. A glitch with such widespread impacts as the penguin one should have had a post on the main page explaining what went wrong and how people were being dealt with. It should not have taken as long as it did to be dealt with, and there are no excuses for a bad job.

Yes, because 4 minutes of film for a bug that lasted over an hour obviously conclusively proves you hadn't abused it before you started filming, right? :roll: Whether you did abuse it or not, I don't really care. I do, however, believe Jagex, who has access to just about everything going on in the game at all times, over a forum troll bashing the company because he was caught breaking the rules (or at least, trying to).

Can I just point something out here G_P_Kid:

Why the hell were you videoing something as mundane as penguin spotting, unless it was to "prove" that you weren't abusing the bug? And if it was to be used as proof that you weren't bug abusing, why not just avoid abusing the bug...? If you knew about the bug and then decided to video the event, it's a pretty stupid thing to do. Whether or not you abused the bug, the furore surrounding the whole affair, even reportedly on the days when the bug was around, would've been enough of a clue to tell you to get the hell out of there.

Edit: Just watched the video. I can only surmise that you really are a bit slow on the uptake. The comments on your own video suggest that you knew there was something "illegal" being done in the context of the game's many rules. Why tempt fate by sticking yourself in there and attempting to click away? True, you shouldn't get banned for it, but if you're stupid enough to give jagex cause to believe you were one of the people in the wrong, that's your lookout. Sorry for my complete lack of sympathy.