F2P Mage and range underpowered

quelmotz

Cost is VERY important in Pvp. Will someone go pking in a party hat just to get drop potential? Obviously not. same scenario as in real life. If something is cheaper but slightly weaker (in the case of melee against a mage-only in lower levels), people will still use it. Its why there are so many meleers but not as much rangers/mages.

No, it's because (as repeatedly stated) magic maxes out at a low level and is harder to use, even in FTP. Magic has a big advantage over other combat styles at these levels, big enough to make it insanely overpowered in low level FTP pking. There's a price to pay for that.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mage is powerful in lower level pking. So? Most people are continually striving to be better, higher leveled, richer, etc, unless they are pures which are long outdated. F2p mage pking is not effective at all anyway. Bind holds for a pathetic 5 seconds? They can't even drain the meleer's run energy so he can chase up with the mage who is standing still?

Mage is powerful in lower level pking. So? Most people are continually striving to be better, higher leveled, richer, etc, unless they are pures which are long outdated. F2p mage pking is not effective at all anyway. Bind holds for a pathetic 5 seconds? They can't even drain the meleer's run energy so he can chase up with the mage who is standing still?

Why should they? Mages have the (not) unique ability to run too. Bind is unbelievably handy in any sort of a team, and a solo mage still defeats melee\range at his level.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Actually, ive experimented with bind recently, and it works fairly well.

Bind, blast, and run, bind blast and run.

Time it right and nobody gets you, unfortunately it doesn't do much to stop runners though.

Very true. It works best in teams, the short interval is a pain when solo pking.

DeviledEgg24.png

Then why do mages have to be forced to pk in teams? Don't try to counter this, it is proven that mages ARE good only in teams, unless you are an expert mage. The pathetic length of bind only allows you to fire one shot, run back like maybe one step and the meleer will be after you with mage protect. There is also the constant worry of pjers, one of the biggest problems for a mage, as they can sneak up unsuspected in a crowded world and spec for high damage and a potential kill.

Where on earth did I say mages will be forced to PK in teams? I said they were good solo, and even better in teams. 5 seconds is plenty of time for 2 spell shots with any sort of dodging skills.

I wasn't aware that one could use specials on a FTP world; what's this magical FTP weapon that can spec them out to nothingness at level 30 combat?

If you are indeed talking about PTP magic, hop on over the the melee thread where I debunked the ridiculous assertion that PTP mage is weaker then melee. Heck, I even made the topic creator switch sides.

DeviledEgg24.png

In f2p PVP, your hardly going to be PJED if the enemy can only hit a max of 33 (around those lines) with 99 str and max str bonus, and assuming your enemy can't hit you, the potential death gets nullified.
When you're happily binding and running, the game thinks you're out of combat so other people can attack you. This is PJing.
The_Maddest.png

When you're happily binding and running, the game thinks you're out of combat so other people can attack you. This is PJing.

Hence why mages don't farcast in crowded areas.

DeviledEgg24.png

Max hit of 33. 2-3 hits with a very fast weapon-ye olde scimitar and the mage is dead. And btw, mages aren't exactly renowned for having very high hp or defence. There are a lot of pjers in crowded areas, and crowded areas are the best for killing people. Who wants to wait for 30 mins in a quiet area until a lvl 126 comes along and smashes him up?

I've tried PKing with magic in F2P. So far, I've gotten 3 kills (that's not to say I haven't tried - I've probably used on the order of 10k death runes trying to PK). But the 3 kills were only because I hybrided.

What I do is I dress in combat robes, rune kite, amulet of power. I'll pick on a guy in full rune. I'll usually hit 3 out of 4 times, averaging 8. During that time, though, he'll hit me every other for 10-20 with his scimitar, usually averaging around 12 when he hits. Since they're about the same speed, we're even.

Then he'll get the bright idea to take his armour off. I'll start averaging about every other hit too, so he'll have a bit of an advantage. Once I get him down to about 25 health, I'll turn on my prayer, drink a pot, switch to my 2h and hope for the best. I can hit up to 28-29? with a r2h, so if I don't KO him there, I'll switch to a scimitar for a semi-no armour (I'll still have a kite on). If at any point they put their full rune back on, I'll go back to mage. But once again this isn't pure mage versus pure melee.

If at any point in time, a ranger decides to jump in, I'm dead or teleing. If another player decides to jump in when my opponent eats twice or runs away, I just wasted about 30k in deaths. These problems make F2P mage at higher levels a joke.

I do agree that up until about level 35 a pure mage owns in F2P. Its just after that, they don't.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

It may be pjing, but your hardly going to die from it when the max hit is 33.
Great, you won't die. You won't get the kill either though and you waste money in resources

"Ye old scimitar" Dosent hit 33.
It hits 27.

I've tried PKing with magic in F2P. So far, I've gotten 3 kills (that's not to say I haven't tried - I've probably used on the order of 10k death runes trying to PK). But the 3 kills were only because I hybrided.

What I do is I dress in combat robes, rune kite, amulet of power. I'll pick on a guy in full rune. I'll usually hit 3 out of 4 times, averaging 8. During that time, though, he'll hit me every other for 10-20 with his scimitar, usually averaging around 12 when he hits. Since they're about the same speed, we're even.

Then he'll get the bright idea to take his armour off. I'll start averaging about every other hit too, so he'll have a bit of an advantage. Once I get him down to about 25 health, I'll turn on my prayer, drink a pot, switch to my 2h and hope for the best. I can hit up to 28-29? with a r2h, so if I don't KO him there, I'll switch to a scimitar for a semi-no armour (I'll still have a kite on). If at any point they put their full rune back on, I'll go back to mage. But once again this isn't pure mage versus pure melee.

If at any point in time, a ranger decides to jump in, I'm dead or teleing. If another player decides to jump in when my opponent eats twice or runs away, I just wasted about 30k in deaths. These problems make F2P mage at higher levels a joke.

I do agree that up until about level 35 a pure mage owns in F2P. Its just after that, they don't.

That doesn't really work very well :S . I've tried it a little on wcers on PvP, and even then they escape/I get PJed. The mindset of people is "Look a mage, attack him and he will die because mage sucks on F2P".
The_Maddest.png

That doesn't really work very well :S . I've tried it a little on wcers on PvP, and even then they escape/I get PJed. The mindset of people is "Look a mage, attack him and he will die because mage sucks on F2P".

Especially as they drop every single rune except one if they're lucky. Even if they get to keep one pathetic rune, the others still drop.

Great, you won't die. You won't get the kill either though and you waste money in resources

You might die for all you know. In a "real" fight, you might be down to low hp when you get behind an obstacle, hoping to eat when suddenly "BAM" and you get a free teleport to Lumbridge.

It's very easy to get the kill. You've got the highest max hit, and the only freezing spells in the game.

It hits 27.

At 40 attack\strength it hits 27? That's odd, I wasn't aware of it. It appears tip.it's max hit calculator differs slightly, saying it's a whopping 10, 11 with a strength pot. It would appear your are dead wrong.

Almost impossible to get a PK on any combat style at that level. PK where people aren't crowded around, and you'll find it much easier.

DeviledEgg24.png

Yes, but as compfreak has said, it would be better maxed out.

The best you can hope for in competition to 59 mage with equivalent melee stats is an epic fail.

Not quite epic fail. You are probably have the slight upper hand, but unless you are fighting far from a bank (no one at that level does), neither player will get the kill, so you both lose.

You have alot more to be scared of in P2p.

Pjing in f2p is sort of like, meh. Max hit of 30ish at 99 strength, yea like thats gonna do alot.

Stops you getting a kill (assuming that you can) meaning you lose money. Just like if you die.

It's very easy to get the kill. You've got the highest max hit, and the only freezing spells in the game.

It's far too easy to escape and far too hard to get a KO hit when fighting near a bank, and hardly anyone fights away from the bank at that level.

It hits 27.

At 40 attack\strength it hits 27? That's odd, I wasn't aware of it. It appears tip.it's max hit calculator differs slightly, saying it's a whopping 10, 11 with a strength pot. It would appear your are dead wrong.

I was not talking to you when I said that. Someone said the max with rune scimi is 33 and I pointed out it is 27.

Almost impossible to get a PK on any combat style at that level. PK where people aren't crowded around, and you'll find it much easier.

Generally speaking, players don't randomly wander about PvP worlds looking for fights -- they stay near a bank where fights are guaranteed. It just leads to more (fun) fighting and less (not fun) walking around.
The_Maddest.png