Military, anyone?

Chaise

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Krieg, did you just get back from a tour? I only ask because I'm curious where you were stationed. My cousin's currently in Iraq near Baghdad. Haven't heard much from him, but he's really enjoying being a Marine.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been a while. I came back at the end of 2006, been home since. Probably getting ready to head back out.

I think I remember you, didn't you used to have the US Marine insignia as your avatar?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Kreig, do you know how wanted someone whose going to college for a robotics field is in the various American branches? I haven't been answered on that yet.

Not sure i understand the question. Could possibly be on reserve status? That allows them to go to school while in the military.

BTW, in a lot of cases the Military will foot the bill fully for Lasik eye surgery.

As for the authority yes sometimes its tough, and sometimes its total BS and you know its BS. I think the authority problem mainly comes through Bootcamp/Basic Training. You gotta suck it up and just let them chew you out. Its really not that bad. You learn not to mess up and you learn how to do things efficiently. You won't get the yelling if you are doing your job plain and simple. For all those with "problems with authority", i guarantee you a couple of hours with a Marine Corps Drill Instructor and you will realize you will have no problems with authority. He will straighten you out quick. I invite anyone to spend a night on Parris Island. :) I've seen a Sgt punch a PFC in the stomach because he wasn't standing at parade rest while speaking to him. Needless to say that PFC was always at Parade Rest while talking to Sgt from then on out. I have one of my drill instructors on myspace lol, he's a year older then me and seeing him still sends shivers down my spine.

Anyone going Navy Officer will get to meet a USMC DI. ;) It all really isn't that bad. Its just a routine you gotta get into. After a while you don't hear the yelling you know what you have to do.

Alright. I'm planning to go into a college nearby for a robotics degree, and I want to know how valuable I'd be after that. I'm wanting to keep a hold on most of my general ideas for until after I know how to actually get it operable, but I don't see much harm in telling you that my main focus is likely to be ground-based combat units, with some possible flight capability. Those are a lot more resilient, and are better for general use (can't use a Predator in an urbanized area very well).

It's a good thing to hear that the branches would foot Lasik surgery. I got 20-70 in my left eye, around 20-1200 in my right. As you can see, I'm in serious need of some eye readjustment. I'm still trying to figure out why I'm so accurate with firearms despite that, though. :?

Basic's supposed to be rough. I've heard from more than a few recruiters that the hardest part of their military career was Basic. It really is not something that everyone can handle. Hopefully my time in AFJROTC will help with that if/when I sign up. The only real problems I have with authority people is when they think that just because they attached a piece of shiny metal or a colored cloth to their shirt means they can be an [wagon] all they want, without actually earning any respect. Thankfully, the majority of the upper ranks in the military isn't like that, from my knowledge. As long as that's correct, I should do fine.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Kreig, do you know how wanted someone whose going to college for a robotics field is in the various American branches? I haven't been answered on that yet.

Not sure i understand the question. Could possibly be on reserve status? That allows them to go to school while in the military.

BTW, in a lot of cases the Military will foot the bill fully for Lasik eye surgery.

As for the authority yes sometimes its tough, and sometimes its total BS and you know its BS. I think the authority problem mainly comes through Bootcamp/Basic Training. You gotta suck it up and just let them chew you out. Its really not that bad. You learn not to mess up and you learn how to do things efficiently. You won't get the yelling if you are doing your job plain and simple. For all those with "problems with authority", i guarantee you a couple of hours with a Marine Corps Drill Instructor and you will realize you will have no problems with authority. He will straighten you out quick. I invite anyone to spend a night on Parris Island. :) I've seen a Sgt punch a PFC in the stomach because he wasn't standing at parade rest while speaking to him. Needless to say that PFC was always at Parade Rest while talking to Sgt from then on out. I have one of my drill instructors on myspace lol, he's a year older then me and seeing him still sends shivers down my spine.

Anyone going Navy Officer will get to meet a USMC DI. ;) It all really isn't that bad. Its just a routine you gotta get into. After a while you don't hear the yelling you know what you have to do.

Alright. I'm planning to go into a college nearby for a robotics degree, and I want to know how valuable I'd be after that. I'm wanting to keep a hold on most of my general ideas for until after I know how to actually get it operable, but I don't see much harm in telling you that my main focus is likely to be ground-based combat units, with some possible flight capability. Those are a lot more resilient, and are better for general use (can't use a Predator in an urbanized area very well).

It's a good thing to hear that the branches would foot Lasik surgery. I got 20-70 in my left eye, around 20-1200 in my right. As you can see, I'm in serious need of some eye readjustment. I'm still trying to figure out why I'm so accurate with firearms despite that, though. :?

Basic's supposed to be rough. I've heard from more than a few recruiters that the hardest part of their military career was Basic. It really is not something that everyone can handle. Hopefully my time in AFJROTC will help with that if/when I sign up. The only real problems I have with authority people is when they think that just because they attached a piece of shiny metal or a colored cloth to their shirt means they can be an [wagon] all they want, without actually earning any respect. Thankfully, the majority of the upper ranks in the military isn't like that, from my knowledge. As long as that's correct, I should do fine.

I'm not real sure the prior training pre military will help you that much. Maybe once you hit the fleet you can cut some of the Military's BS SOP (standard op procedures) off but other then that they really train you how they want you trained and train you with what you need to know. Everything else is for your own benefit. I know the airforce goes by manuals quite a bit especially dealing with aircraft, the Marines would rather ghetto-rig it so long as it works. So how wanted will you be? Probably not any more then another guy that could handle the job without the training. How useful will you be? Possibly a bit more so then that same guy in the fleet. The Marines are very limited in their resources from the government, every other branches have really cool toys and some really cool jobs that the Marines don't have. We just don't have the budget like they do so its hard to really tell you that your skills won't be totally useful. They might be great for some position the air force has that i don't know about. I'm just speculating on general military terms, they train you like they want you trained. Sounds like you would do good in a weapons development program, do they have those? No idea.

I'm not sure how they do the whole lasik thing. I think you gotta be in already and then get it, not sure i havn't really checked into it much, just known some people to get it.

A lot of the time the brass that abuse their power are the ones that come straight from OCS. Mustangs as officers can be really squared away and pretty easy going on their men. Mustang refers to a person who was prior service or prior enlisted that then got commissioned instead of going from college straight to OCS. They've been in the enlisted boots and know whats going on.

Boot/Basic is the hardest part. At least i've found that. Other then a 8-12 month deployment...but even then deployments are actually pretty fun. Not a lot to do but you find stuff to do and usually have a good time with the guys over there. Not to mention you can make some pretty serious money (Military wise). If i had the choice of another deployment or going through boot again i'd probably take the deployment. Bootcamp was hell. Granted i did go through Marine Corps recruit training, the hardest of the branches but the others arn't a laughing matter. They are tough to anyone not used to the lifestyle. (J)ROTC will or should help for anyone going in. It has its differences but it gives you an idea of chain of command, drill, etc. Some basics. I went in not knowing anything. I learned fast. The biggest thing about Boot/Basic is how you adjust. Try and adjust as fast as possible to the daily routine and its just a waiting game because you've already won. Its pretty smooth after that. Its just that first hump you gotta get over when you get there. Waking up there to someone screaming "Lights lights lights, lights lights lights" and having the lights flicked on, while trying to make it on line in about 10 seconds is pretty horrid and definitely not something i did on a daily basis before recruit training.

Sorry for all the long posts, i just enjoy my job. ;)

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

The only real problems I have with authority people is when they think that just because they attached a piece of shiny metal or a colored cloth to their shirt means they can be an [wagon] all they want, without actually earning any respect.

That's exactly what I hate. There are a few people in my AFJROTC unit that think they can go around yelling at people one rank lower then them when they are a freaking C/TSgt. Then there's the people that think they're gonna get officer when they don't do [cabbage] for the corps. I got officer rank my 2nd year because I was one of a few awesome cadets in the corps that actually did [cabbage]. Having done 90% of community services and never missing a drill team practice, I earned it (C/Maj. now, btw. About to get LtCol).

I wouldn't really say that AFJROTC (or any ROTC program for that matter) really prepares you for what comes in basic training. There is almost no screaming at lower ranks in my unit, unless someone is being completely stupid. The only thing that can give you a heads up on what BMT (Basic Military Training) will be like is the Delayed Entry Program, which is what I'm in.

~~Chaise91~~

I hate to sound like one of those " I was gonna join, but" type of guys, but unfortunately it is taht way for now :(

I was in the USMC DEP and not even far from shipping when I started getting injuries and pains. That resulted in my ship date getting pushed back several times and pretty much not being able to do sh1t for a while. After sitting around doing nothing for so long I started losing a lot of motivation to continue going through with it. I spoke with my uncle who had something like 22 years in the Coast Guard and I decided that with all this going on right now and me losing the drive to do it that I'll just go back to college for a couple semesters and play it out and my injuries/problems will hopefully have been fixed by then, or will be pretty much that I'm screwed in which case I'll just have to completely forget about joining. Joining is still definitely an option if/when I'm all healed up

Don't get me wrong - I agree with Bluelancer because many of the adults at my school are power hungry and they don't deserve their position. I was just surprised that it was coming from him. :P

One administrator went through all my paperwork and notes when I got in trouble for skipping. For every bad little thing she found in there (bad grades, rude drawings, notes from friends) she said, "Oh so this is what kind of person you are?" What a freak.

I hate to sound like one of those " I was gonna join, but" type of guys, but unfortunately it is taht way for now :(

I was in the USMC DEP and not even far from shipping when I started getting injuries and pains. That resulted in my ship date getting pushed back several times and pretty much not being able to do sh1t for a while. After sitting around doing nothing for so long I started losing a lot of motivation to continue going through with it. I spoke with my uncle who had something like 22 years in the Coast Guard and I decided that with all this going on right now and me losing the drive to do it that I'll just go back to college for a couple semesters and play it out and my injuries/problems will hopefully have been fixed by then, or will be pretty much that I'm screwed in which case I'll just have to completely forget about joining. Joining is still definitely an option if/when I'm all healed up

Hey don't sweat it. You got further then the majority of the country does.

And yes the DEP should help you prepare. Talk to your recruiter and see if they have PT days, or days to kick knowledge around i know the Marines meet at least one weekend a month in the DEP to get their recruits ready PT and knowledge wise. Work out on your own. Running, jogging, pushups, pullups, crunches....just do something so you don't go in as a total fat body.

Like it has been said. Its probably one of the worst times of your career, but at the same time its probably one of the most memorable and useful parts of your career. You know you've gained the discipline when they can unintentionally spit in your face and you not even flinch or wipe it off hehe.

[hide=Motivating trash you understand? ;)]2480905425_bc689b4300.jpg?v=0

2481652212_1596b5db8d.jpg?v=0

2480950587_44535e6686.jpg?v=0

SgtHollon.jpg

DrillInstructor.jpg[/hide]

Bootcamp/Basic is all just a big mind*edit* game. Theres times they try and make you laugh and crack so they can jump all over you.

I highly recommend that movie for anyone going USMC. Ears Open Eyeballs Click. Its basically a documentary inside USMC bootcamp and you can get a general idea of what goes on. Its not EVERYTHING, but a good idea of what its like. All the parts are on youtube, also comes in DVD form.
Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

I'm not real sure the prior training pre military will help you that much. Maybe once you hit the fleet you can cut some of the Military's BS SOP (standard op procedures) off but other then that they really train you how they want you trained and train you with what you need to know. Everything else is for your own benefit. I know the airforce goes by manuals quite a bit especially dealing with aircraft, the Marines would rather ghetto-rig it so long as it works. So how wanted will you be? Probably not any more then another guy that could handle the job without the training. How useful will you be? Possibly a bit more so then that same guy in the fleet. The Marines are very limited in their resources from the government, every other branches have really cool toys and some really cool jobs that the Marines don't have. We just don't have the budget like they do so its hard to really tell you that your skills won't be totally useful. They might be great for some position the air force has that i don't know about. I'm just speculating on general military terms, they train you like they want you trained. Sounds like you would do good in a weapons development program, do they have those? No idea.

I'm not sure how they do the whole lasik thing. I think you gotta be in already and then get it, not sure i havn't really checked into it much, just known some people to get it.

A lot of the time the brass that abuse their power are the ones that come straight from OCS. Mustangs as officers can be really squared away and pretty easy going on their men. Mustang refers to a person who was prior service or prior enlisted that then got commissioned instead of going from college straight to OCS. They've been in the enlisted boots and know whats going on.

Boot/Basic is the hardest part. At least i've found that. Other then a 8-12 month deployment...but even then deployments are actually pretty fun. Not a lot to do but you find stuff to do and usually have a good time with the guys over there. Not to mention you can make some pretty serious money (Military wise). If i had the choice of another deployment or going through boot again i'd probably take the deployment. Bootcamp was hell. Granted i did go through Marine Corps recruit training, the hardest of the branches but the others arn't a laughing matter. They are tough to anyone not used to the lifestyle. (J)ROTC will or should help for anyone going in. It has its differences but it gives you an idea of chain of command, drill, etc. Some basics. I went in not knowing anything. I learned fast. The biggest thing about Boot/Basic is how you adjust. Try and adjust as fast as possible to the daily routine and its just a waiting game because you've already won. Its pretty smooth after that. Its just that first hump you gotta get over when you get there. Waking up there to someone screaming "Lights lights lights, lights lights lights" and having the lights flicked on, while trying to make it on line in about 10 seconds is pretty horrid and definitely not something i did on a daily basis before recruit training.

Sorry for all the long posts, i just enjoy my job. ;)

You see, here's the problem. With some of the things that I want to do, I find it unlikely that I'd be able to do it with any real ability with just a few weeks/months of basic military cram school. Also, the college I'm going to (Marshall) looks like they're fairly proficient in general mechanics at least, so I might be at least a little bit better at it than would be possible otherwise. For example, I'm thinking that building a powered suit that is worn and uses pressure plates on the inside to both allow the wearer to control it as normal and be able to feel a moderate amount of what goes on outside of the suit might be useful. It increases the effectiveness of units almost immediately, without needing to make room for something as bulky or large as a full-out vehicle, AND it's fairly straightforward in operation. Of course, I find it unlikely for me to learn how to do that properly in cram school, no matter how good that school is.

I think it's only fair that they wait until my application's on file and signed before they pay for Lasik. They want SOME sort of benefit for spending money on me, I think.

I'm thinking of maybe going straight into Officer School after college. HOWEVER, while I'd still do work on robotic-style stuff, I'd want to be where I could put it to use myself. According to what little I was told, most officers (save SEALS and comparable fields) are practically forced to stay back. That doesn't sit well with me; I'm designing the weapons, I want to be able to stand next to the people who'd use them to see their effectiveness, at least. See my problem?

I have no problem with long posts. It's actually refreshing to find someone so into what they do.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

In the military, one is not given an impossibly hard job straight out of tech school. Sure, training could've been longer but that person will spend years in that field, getting better at it day by day. For you, I would suggest going to college for mechanics as that is a field that is big in the military and civilian world. When in the military, you decide it's not right for you, you can leave and find a very well paying job elsewhere. However some jobs don't really have a school for them in the civilian world. For instance, there is so college that will prepare you for Signal Intelligence Applications, besides schools that a particular service runs (i.e. the Community College of the Air Force, and tech school).

~~Chaise91~~

I have thought about joining the Army Reserve but have not, as of yet, researched anything into the matter, I would go into a programming position if I could (I have no clue on what positions you can choose and be in the Army Reserve.) I would like to get the training that most of the soldiers do, but I don't really want to go in as a soldier, I just want to be able to pick up a gun and use it effectively, as well as run the distance if needed and use hand to hand combat if I need to. Also, do programmers get posted much? Or do they usually stick around in their country, working as needed. I have also thought of doing Robotics at Tafe/Uni after I have done Programming.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

The Reserves are a great option for some people. After all of your training its one weekend a month, two weeks a year. The rest is spent just as you would a normal civilian. Going to school, working a normal civilian job, etc. Cool thing is, you still get the training the active duty folks get. You go to the same bootcamp, same combat training, same MOS training, just separate from them after that and live a more civilian life. The reserve programs also guarantee your MOS. MOS's are classified by a 3-4 digit code of numbers and letters that signafy the job field and specific job. (0311 - Infantry in the Marines) Take a law enforcement job in the Army for example. Active duty folks will only be able to pick 31x as their MOS, and the specific job will be given later on. A Reservist can pick, 31B, 31D, or 31E as their specific job. An active Marine can pick 03xx, where as a reservist can pick 0311. Reservists can have any job in the military, as long as there is a reserve unit close to him that supports that job where he can drill each month.

A lot of active duty people make fun of reservists, but they really have no reason to. I'm on reserve status currently. It takes a lot of dedication to be a reservist. Living a civilian life and a military life, having to drill once a month every month. And you go through all of the same training active duty does. You can get deployed just as much as them too. Its still nice being able to be in the civilian world.

Combat training is given to all military personnel, of some sort at least. Marines and Army get more then Navy and Airforce of course. If you go into the Marines or Army, you should come out being proficient in shooting the M16 as well as doing your main MOS. The Marines stress it more then the other branches, "Every Marine is a rifleman" is one of our main sayings. Not sure what the Army trains on specifically but i've been trained on the M16, M203 grenade launcher (scarface), M67 frag grenade, M249 SAW, and the best the M240. You just must go in knowing that just because you are a pencil pusher in Admin, doesn't guarantee you won't be stepping outside of the wire if deployed. If you are in the military you are deployable and your job could change with a snap of the fingers overseas. I'm a landing support specialist, worked airports and ports loading planes, choppers, ships, etc....but i've also done security patrols outside of the wire and for the base, basically an MP's job. Its all in whats needed at the time. For the most part, right now, you'd be working in your job during a deployment. Back when we still had major combat operations going on you could easily be stuck in a turret of a Humvee and sent out with the grunts.

It might be a prime time to join any branch. Wars are winding down for the most part, still in Afghan though. The economy is struggling and its tough to find work, the military is a guaranteed paycheck. Also, its work experience. Companies don't have money to spend hiring 20 employees each time, they look for the best most qualified people so any experience you have is a plus. Military service looks good on applications.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

For the most part, what Kriegsmier said is what I was thinking. However, in the Air Force, if you get an admin job or any job that is mainly done at a desk, then you won't be seeing any battle. There is a good chance that you'll be stationed in a foreign country (whether it's a war country or an ally), but you'll be in one of the safest cities in that country. At least all of my friends parents ended up like that...

~~Chaise91~~

I'm one of those "I was going to join, but" people; I opted to get my degree first and re-evaluate the Army after, I still go over the recruitment information although with my current job I would have to quit that first (yay for 24/7 on-call jobs) before signing up. Things probably would've turned out different if I had a standard IT career. I still want to do it though, it's just a matter of how :?

*takes a look at the Canadian army*

*walks away*

-walks forward-

I don't know about you, but I think I'm going to join.

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

I'm in the middle of joining the aussie navy as an avionics technician.

I have a lot of reasons for it. I like the idea of the discipline, the fitness, the respect for the job and training etc. Everybody I have talked to in the military absolutely love their job.

I never liked the idea of uni, and in the same time it takes somebody to finish a degree I will have at least 1 degree, plus I will be earning between 65 and 100k+ a year. (Depending on how far up I get promoted, and whether I choose to work in the submarines) The money isn't the most important thing but it's a nice bonus.

When I get out, employers tend to like the experience, training and discipline that I will have. I can continue with avionics, but I will also be a shoe in the police force (or surf life saver, I haven't decided.)

Plus I have never liked the idea of working for somebody else to get rich, I would prefer to help people in a job that requires good health and fitness. (hence the police or surf lifesaver idea.)

The only issue is that the australian forces are well known for drinking, (my friend is a sapper and says they all get drunk every night and it isn't a problem as long as they are half sober the next day to work) and I am already borderline alcoholic :wall:

Any tips on surviving boot camp, or things I can expect?

*walks away*

-walks forward-

We're in the same boat then. I've considered joining the Canadian Army for awhile now. Although I'm "half-way" to being one of those "I was going to but.." people. I still have the motivation to join, although not the knowledge where to apply, if I'm REALLY ready for it, etc. A bit of doubt is there, you could say.

Since I've taken a year off from school I've wanted to do many things, and this may be an option I'd like to pursue before heading to college. Luckily still have time to decide. ::'

*walks away*

-walks forward-

It's one thing to be a pawn for your government. It's a whole different thing to be a pawn for another country.

*walks away*

-walks forward-

It's one thing to be a pawn for your government. It's a whole different thing to be a pawn for another country.

wut

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

Still waiting for the actual orders but i've been told i'll most likely be ending up at Al Asad Airbase or TQ (Al Taqaddum Airbase) in Iraq by July or August of this year doing what i did last time, running flightlines. Should be an 8month deployment.

Damn, gonna miss another football season. #-o

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thought i'd bump this. Seems like an appropriate place to post.

Got word today officially that i will be activated April 27. Will be going on my 2nd deployment to the middle east. Looks like Iraq for 7-9 months but won't know for sure until it gets here. I thought this would be easier the second time around....but its just as hard. Definitely a roller coaster of emotions.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg