Military, anyone?

Chaise

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

After years of being on the interwebs, I have realized that a majority of the population that is on the internet are fairly intelligent people. They hold excellent grades in school (if they aren't in college yet) and strive to have skills that I can only dream of. However, I rarely meet someone who has intentions of joining the military (or anyone who is already in), so my question is, has anyone had serious thoughts of joining the armed forces for their country? If so, give a story as to why you chose it (if you did of course) and why you decided against college straight out of high school (if you're an American).

My story goes like this. At the beginning of HS I wanted to enlist into the United States Marine Corps. But as time went on, I got drug more and more into joining the Air Force. With my senior year well on the way of completion, I just had to get in touch with a recruiter. Now you may be wondering why I didn't just go to college and get my commission as a Second Lieutenant in the USAF. First off, I wanted to start making money right off the bat and I can't earn any money by just being in AFROTC whilst at the University I was considering. Secondly, I can get the government to pay for my education at school after a while, so why spend my parents money and worry about scholarships when the country will pay for me to get smarter. As of now, I am in the Delayed Entry Program for the United States Air Force and waiting to get my shipping date for basic training (which is in June, I hope).

~~Chaise91~~

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Severing under the personal command of some greedy rich government does not suite me. The only military operation I would join was for a great cause, mostly in some sort of revolution. And I'll have to be fighting something for myself, not the government.

But the United States could use some military cutbacks.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Severing under the personal command of some greedy rich government does not suite me. The only military operation I would join was for a great cause, mostly in some sort of revolution. And I'll have to be fighting something for myself, not the government.

If by cutbacks, you mean cut our guys back from Iraq, then yes. We don't need a military reduction, but Iraq is the most pointless waste of effort ever.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

If by cutbacks, you mean cut our guys back from Iraq, then yes. We don't need a military reduction, but Iraq is the most pointless waste of effort ever.

Oh, I was speaking money-wise. Millions of dollars to bomb a place? Christ. -.-

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

First off, millions of dollars is nothing compared to the 7 trillion dollar debt Bush got us in to. Secondly, we don't really bomb places anymore unless we have a real good reason.

~~Chaise91~~

I am dead-set on joining the United States Navy. My area of choice? Nuclear propulsion. That'll take some major college training, though, I would think, and I have to score fairly high on my ASVAB when I take it. I think I can do that, though.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Yeah, If your gonna bomb a place then BOMB it big time in a short span of time not bit by bit in a long span of time using the same amount of money with less affect.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

I understand your sentiment. However, I view that as less of cutting back and more of being less wasteful. Seriously, how can it possibly cost that much for that little unless if someone's price gouging? A search for ways to do things more efficiently and cheaply (with no cutbacks in quality) should be near the top of the list for the military's R&D department. The only thing holding them back is the lobbyists that get periodic control of the American military via Presidential elections. Corporations whose sole interest in war is profit should be forbidden from having any involvement in it. Too many people have died already because of greed in one form or another.

I'm personally interested in signing up for the military after college. I'm trying to decide between Marines, Army, or Navy. In case you're wondering, I plan on working in robotics. Specifically, either the remote-controlled variety (think Predator, but my focus will be ground-based), AI controlled (obviously, I don't want Skynet to go up, so some failsafes will be designed into them), or the piloted variety (anything from Iron Man type stuff to Gundam-style war machines). I can think of little ways of maximizing the effectiveness of military personnel better than giving them potentially infinite backup capable of doing things that most humans couldn't even begin to try. The uses for robots in military operations are limitless.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Wants?

Just got a letter telling me I can't leave the country for more than a week without prior notification.Funny part is,I thought I'd be off December,I'm apparently not going till results are out.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I am dead-set on joining the United States Navy. My area of choice? Nuclear propulsion. That'll take some major college training, though, I would think, and I have to score fairly high on my ASVAB when I take it. I think I can do that, though.

That is a very respectable field, Lenin. And yes, tech school for that will more then likely be very long (probably exceeding a year). As for the ASVAB, just wanting to go into Nuclear Propulsion indicates to me that you are fairly intelligent as it is, so getting a good score on it should not be a problem.

EDIT:::Why the hell is everyone obsessed with the Army lately? I know they give good bonuses, but man...you're going straight overseas, lol.

~~Chaise91~~

You want good bonuses? National Guard, man. I don't remember exact figures, but it's a pretty hefty signing bonus and as of 2008 it was the best sign-up offer of any branch. Except for the tour in Iraq.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I am in the Marine Corps currently.

If you want money, a highly specialized skill and a fairly relaxed career or TOS (time in service), go "Chair Force". ;) The Navy and Air Force tend to really have specialized job training, then the army and the most broad branch is the Marines. Take an F16 jet for example. The Airforce has people to check the seals on the plane, someone to check the comm in the helmet, a person to check this screw or that screw. The Marine corps would just send the bird down the runway and be done with it. And of course the Army and Marines are more combat oriented then the Navy and Air Force. Its all in what you want to do as to what branch is right for you. While all can give you some great skills for the civilian world (if its not a military career), the Navy and Air Force can give you some real great skills compared to the Army or Marines. Can get out and make mega money civilian side.

I've been to Iraq once, and i'm slated to go again with pre deployment training starting in May. Still waiting on word on that. I was based at Al Asad Airbase so i was in constant contact with the flyboys there. I worked part of the flight line bringing in the USMC birds. If you want an easier life, go Air Force lol. We were trying to send some detainees out and asked the airforce to take them, nope. It wasn't on their list of things to do, and it was just a little bit overweight. Ok fine, call up command got a USMC bird, got them out of there that day. As a Lt or higher in the Air Force you can call a full bird Colonel by his first name. Its a very relaxed atmosphere comparably. And their basic training from what i understand is low stress.

Don't get me wrong, anyone serving in any branch is ok with me. But as you can see, the Air Force side is definitely not my thing. It may be just what you are looking for. You are doing almost the same thing i did. I went to college for a while, hated it and joined the Marines. Decided i wanted my degree and went back to school on the military's bill. Got a Criminal Justice degree to add to my resume. I have no intentions of going Officer though.

Congrats on DEPing in. MEPS is a pain lol.

BTW, be careful with the bonuses. First off be sure to ask about them, if you don't ask the recruiter won't give it to you for those interested. And don't be afraid to walk out of the office and tell them to call you when they can get you some money, it works and they will call you i promise. Also be careful. What they don't tell you is if you have an unsat year that year (failing fitness tests, going UA, bad behavior, etc) they can take all that back. My buddy in the Marines got 10k, so its there for all branches, you just gotta get it. Signing up at certain times can help too. The fiscal year i think ends/begins in Oct or November each year, so signing up right as a new fiscal year begins opens up all the bonuses and job fields.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

What's funny is that if you end up pursuing that field, your ESO will almost likely be my brother-in-law. Muwhawhawha.

I have health concerns that keep me out of the military but I'm trying to get into the Department of Defense as a civilian teacher. I would get the same benefits as someone who signs into the military which will be great.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Kriegsmier, I do indeed agree with you when you say the AF is a laid back service. Honestly, I do believe you that a Lt can call a full bird by his first name and get away with...since that's just how the Air Force rolls.

And yeah, MEPS was a pain in the [wagon]. I had to go twice because the doctor there had to be an [wagon] and send me to a doctor back home for something stupid.

~~Chaise91~~

I would love to be a helicopter pilot in either the Marines, Coast Guard, or Air Force (preferably a transport copter, but attack is cool too), but I have pretty bad eye problems. I still consider joining the Marines often, but I don't really know what I'll do. My dad's a former marine, and was set to be deployed to Panama, but a flood canceled his entire platoon's leaving. Yeah, semper fi and all. I know it'd help me grow up a lot.

Then again, being one of the badass jet pilots would always be cool.

Naw, but I really don't know. I don't know if I want to go to college, and if I do, what for, I don't know what kind of job I want to have, I don't know where I want to live ...

Maybe the Marines could help.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Not so much during wartime but usually in peacetime the MEU's for the Marines are supposed to be the must do's. Basically jumping on a float and heading around the world for an X number of months. I havn't gotten to experience one yet but i'd like to. You stop at all sorts of ports around the world. Basically like going on tour with the Navy. Maybe they will come back after we pull out of Iraq.

I work with the big transport choppers Lenticular. Mostly the CH-53 and the V-22. Awesome machines.

These are not my videos or me in the videos, but this is my job in the Corps. One of my jobs under my job field anyway.

One heck of an experience. Check out how low that bird is. CH-53, V-22, and Ch-46, been under them all. Where else can you do something like this in the civilian world?! Thats one of the reasons i joined. Where else can i do the stuff i do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j0QI045 ... re=related

To Deathdrow. To me, every war the US is in is a valid war. Why? Because my brothers are over there in it. Being a combat support element its perfectly valid for me to see it that way. Me/Combat support -> Grunts -> Valid reason. My valid reason is the grunts, they might have a different view of the war and might not agree but if they are over there thats my valid reason. Its my job to get them, their chow, water, supplies, gear over there where it needs to be.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

I've had serious thoughts about joining the Army before, or the Police. I'm not the most patriotic person you'll ever meet but I like England, it's a fantastic country. I know people in the Army and they're all good people, it would be brilliant to help my country and hopefully, enjoy the company of some good people while doing it. It's a job that should be respected more than it is.

I've chosen to take a different path though and hopefully will be a doctor.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

I like the idea of combat training as well as the tactical and leadership skills that the military offers... but the idea of following orders while being blind to the big picture isn't my thing.

Maybe become a Mercenary? No--because I'd have none of the respect and none of the discipline either.

I have the feeling that everybody should get at least some combat training within their lives, but sources of that education are hard to find.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

I have the feeling that everybody should get at least some combat training within their lives, but sources of that education are hard to find.

That isn't a problem in Finland, you are required by law to obtain 6, 9 or 12 months of military/combat training (12 mostly for petty officers/officer school and heavy equipment drivers, 6 months for corporals and below, 9 for medics etc.) by the time you're age 18, entering service at 19, or later if you have good reasons to postpone up to 29 years old.

If you refuse, you can either complete compulsory 12 months of civil service (used to be 13) or the MP takes you to prison for 180 days. Few other countries except Israel have such harsh laws concerning this issue.

Personally the army was like a second home to me when I was way younger, later as my financial situation improved I also lost motivation. The pay is horrible and being away from civilization for such long periods starts eating you from the inside, the only good thing about it is the ability for peacekeeping abroad. If you can do something else for money & you're young, do so...

Kriegsmier, Those seem like some very exciting jobs, lol. I'm hoping to get an intelligence job when I get in. The full name is Signal Imagery Analyst (or something like that). It pretty much entails working with computers signals and converting them to something understandable. Since one needs a top secret security clearance to have this job, there really isn't much more that can be said, and honestly, I don't know anymore about it.

Lenticular_J, sorry to burst your bubble, but with eye problems the chance of becoming a pilot is pretty slim. If you join the AF, there is a good chance that you can be a navigator in some of the bigger planes, or maybe even a pilot if your eyes aren't super bad.

BlueLancer, I believe that mandatory military service is a great idea. People are exposed to proper discipline and life skills that will definitely help them in the future (at least in American military). The times that a Finnish men have to serve are a bit low compared to us. Here, you have to serve at least 4 years of active duty and an additional 4 years of reserve, which is when they can call you back to active duty anytime they want.

~~Chaise91~~