Once a great game. A story/Rant for veteran players.

eatrunearrow

Yep. Why the silly feeling?

Well, it would seem I was previously arguing a point that wasn't even in question. I misunderstood the way you used maturity and age together.

I'll wait to debate on a subject like this again until I'm 25. :P

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Zero: He was still tying brain development into the second sentance, which lead to my statement. That's all I've ever referred to throughout the course of this thread, and I don't understand why your trying to convince me I meant otherwise. We don't need an english professor, you just misunderstood what I was referring to due to incomplete reading of the background posts. If your still convinced I'm lying about it, send me a PM instead of constantly repeating it through this thread.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

No, actually you were the one who misread what he said. For the millionth time, he clearly pointed out that there were different types of maturity. And like I quoted, the type he was speaking about has to do with your responses to environment - not age! Seriously, why do you continue to put the blame on us when you're the one who is at fault?

And stop telling me to PM you while you are still making posts - that's hypocritical. Either PM me or don't suggest it.

I misunderstood the way you used maturity and age together.

You didn't make a mistake by reading what he wrote literally. You are supposed to read words literally. There are reasons why we have rules for grammar.

I'm making posts in response to yours; mine settle the issue, yours bring it up again. Your asking questions, I'm answering them. Therefore, to raise new issues, switch to PM; I'll respond to any posts you make in the same manner.

Now, as I was saying, he pointed out two types of maturity, but earlier in the discussion it was established that they were interrelated, and it was before the separation of the two types of them. Also, literal expression certainly isn't standard for language, or phrases like 'Ants in your pants' or 'I feel like I'm on fire' would make even less sense.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Now, as I was saying, he pointed out two types of maturity, but earlier in the discussion it was established that they were interrelated, and it was before the separation of the two types of them.

Like I said, there can be a correlation yes, but in the Wiki quote I've posted for you it says that the type of maturity we were talking about has to do more with actions than ages, meaning some kids are capable of acting mature. There is interrelation, but not to the point where kids are always going to be immature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_(psychological)

"Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctual, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act in serious or non-serious ways."

"While it has been shown that older persons are generally more mature, psychological maturity is not determined by one's age."

mine settle the issue, yours bring it up again

I can say the same exact thing about my posts...

Also, literal expression certainly isn't standard for language, or phrases like 'Ants in your pants' or 'I feel like I'm on fire' would make even less sense.

So that means people should never be taken literally? Where are you getting your arguments from? Now you're saying it's completely reasonable to make no sense in your posts.

But I'm not referring specifically to maturity as related to personality and decision making; I'm referring specifically to physical maturity, which is tied into decision making but isn't the sole basis for it.

I can say the same exact thing about my posts...

Your accusing me of lying, I'm saying I'm not. You post again with 'new evidence', I lay it to rest. Your the antagonist, I'm the protagonist. PMing isn't required, but it would cut down on the semantics spam. Just keeping my nose clean for the mods.

So that means people should never be taken literally? Where are you getting your arguments from? Now you're saying it's completely reasonable to make no sense in your posts.

Ah yes, that's exactly what I said. A language can only be completely literal or completely non literal. Please re read my post until inspiration strikes and you find the happy middle ground between all literal and all non-literal.

DeviledEgg24.png

But I'm not referring specifically to maturity as related to personality and decision making

But you are when you make posts like, "No, they can't," to someone saying kids can be mature when it comes to personality.

You keep bringing up two contradicting arguments here: 1. You say personality and brain development are interrelated to the point where a kid can't ("No, they can't.") have a mature personality. 2. You say you weren't even talking about personality. Choose which one you want me to believe. What will it be? 1 or 2?

Your the antagonist, I'm the protagonist.

The ageist is the protagonist? :lol:

Ah yes, that's exactly what I said. A language can only be completely literal or completely non literal. Please re read my post until inspiration strikes and you find the happy middle ground between all literal and all non-literal.

In this context, you should have been taken literally. You weren't posting a poem - you were claiming that kids can't have mature personalities. If it shouldn't be taken literally there, then where does one take something literally?

Ok people stop debating like mad. Its just a small topic and it isn't the main point in this topic. Lets just get back to topic and shut those "Rwt didn't ruin RS! Anti-rwt updates ruined RS!Jagex you suck like ....!" people.

Ok so everyone agrees that children are generally not as mature as adults but some can be mature enough to be sensible on RS?

Ok people stop debating like mad. Its just a small topic and it isn't the main point in this topic. Lets just get back to topic and shut those "Rwt didn't ruin WOW! Anti-rwt updates ruined WOW!Jagex you suck like ....!" people.

Ok so everyone agrees that children are generally not as mature as adults but some can be mature enough to be sensible on WOW?

The original topic was poorly thought out and uninteresting. Compfreak and Zierro debating makes a far better thread in my opinion.

What the heck is with all the WoW?

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

I fail to see how the OP is child like at all. The post is very well written, and it is not "unreadable". It would be an excellent idea to read a post before you respond to it.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

But you are when you make posts like, "No, they can't," to someone saying kids can be mature when it comes to personality.

You keep bringing up two contradicting arguments here: 1. You say personality and brain development are interrelated to the point where a kid can't ("No, they can't.") have a mature personality. 2. You say you weren't even talking about personality. Choose which one you want me to believe. What will it be? 1 or 2?

Both. I've said that quite a few times; they are tied together, and in this case he was referring to physical as well as thought processes.

The ageist is the protagonist? :lol:

You said you already agreed that brain development is a physical process as well. The debate is now about if I was lying when I said that's what I meant. Your accusing me of lying, I'm proving that I'm not.

In this context, you should have been taken literally. You weren't posting a poem - you were claiming that kids can't have mature personalities. If it shouldn't be taken literally there, then where does one take something literally?

It wasn't specifically an example to literally, it was an example of extrapolating from previous posts that proved the poster thought differently then the literal interpretation of his words, and I responded as such.

I fail to see how the OP is child like at all. The post is very well written, and it is not "unreadable". It would be an excellent idea to read a post before you respond to it.

I never said this specific post was unreadable; what I did say is that it was short sighted and not well thought out, and as such, the issues were quickly settled. It would be an excellent idea to read responses to a post before you ridicule them.

What the heck is with all the WoW?

Admins are having fun with the censor :?

Ok people stop debating like mad. Its just a small topic and it isn't the main point in this topic. Lets just get back to topic and shut those "Rwt didn't ruin WOW! Anti-rwt updates ruined WOW!Jagex you suck like ....!" people.

That debate was settled in the first page; only an idiot could try to pursue it. Me and zero are keeping this thread alive, and this is all the thanks we get? :lol:

DeviledEgg24.png

Both. I've said that quite a few times; they are tied together, and in this case he was referring to physical as well as thought processes.

They contradict each other. You are saying that you were and were not talking about the personality. If you weren't talking about personality then you wouldn't have said, "No, they can't," to the part where he said they aren't physically mature, but they can be mature in their actions.

Ok so everyone agrees that children are generally not as mature as adults but some can be mature enough to be sensible on WOW?

Exactly.

They contradict each other. You are saying that you were and were not talking about the personality. If you weren't talking about personality then you wouldn't have said, "No, they can't," to the part where he said they aren't physically mature, but they can be mature in their actions.

But they don't contradict each other. His post wasn't an isolated incident; we had been discussing and applying the interrelation between the two long before that post was made. It had already been made obvious that the two had similar characteristics, and the crossover was muddied and uncertain.

That was agreed on many pages ago. The argument is and has been whether or not I lied when I said that's all I meant. Zero's convinced I meant more, I'm convinced I didn't

DeviledEgg24.png

But they don't contradict each other. His post wasn't an isolated incident; we had been discussing and applying the interrelation between the two long before that post was made. It had already been made obvious that the two had similar characteristics, and the crossover was muddied and uncertain.

And as I've showed you before, that type of maturity doesn't have to do with your age.

That was agreed on many pages ago. The argument is and has been whether or not I lied when I said that's all I meant. Zero's convinced I meant more, I'm convinced I didn't

I specifically asked you if you were wrong for saying, "No, they can't," and you said no. Don't pretend like this is what you've been saying the whole time.

And as I've showed you before, that type of maturity doesn't have to do with your age.

Physical maturity doesn't have to do with your age? That's interesting. I'd like to see some links.

I specifically asked you if you were wrong for saying, "No, they can't," and you said no.

And I wasn't. I don't see the problem.

DeviledEgg24.png

Physical maturity doesn't have to do with your age? That's interesting. I'd like to see some links.

Does being thick on purpose really help your cause? He was talking about actions - not physical maturity. Read it again:

"Mature has several meanings, one meaning you have met full development of your mind (which is what you're talking about) and another is that you think something out fully and carefully before you talk about it (which even 10 year olds can do if they put their mind to it)."

And I wasn't. I don't see the problem.

:lol: :lol: :lol: So you still think that kids can't act mature, even though I've pointed out the Wiki quote that says it doesn't have to do with age?

He said: "and another is that you think something out fully and carefully before you talk about it (which even 10 year olds can do if they put their mind to it)."

You said: "No, they can't."

It's basic English dude. Please tell me what other secret meaning the words "No, they can't," have, because I'm really curious. By saying, "No," you are saying that kids can't act mature.

This is like the tenth time you completely changed your argument. Either you think kids can act mature, or you think they can't act mature. There is no in between!

Does being thick on purpose really help your cause? He was talking about actions - not physical maturity. Read it again:

"Mature has several meanings, one meaning you have met full development of your mind (which is what you're talking about) and another is that you think something out fully and carefully before you talk about it (which even 10 year olds can do if they put their mind to it)."

He said: "and another is that you think something out fully and carefully before you talk about it (which even 10 year olds can do if they put their mind to it)."

You said: "No, they can't."

It's basic English dude. Please tell me what other secret meaning the words "No, they can't," have, because I'm really curious. By saying, "No," you are saying that kids can't act mature.

Lesse, how many times do I have to tell you you came in the conversation late and previous posts prove my response correct? I'm well over a dozen now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: So you still think that kids can't act mature, even though I've pointed out the Wiki quote that says it doesn't have to do with age?

I'm not sure if they can, although it would vary depending on age. All the wiki says is that it's not specifically tied to age, but that certainly doesn't mean it's not a factor. Then again, it's an opinionated argument that I don't really want to get into as it has no right answer and doesn't apply to this thread.

DeviledEgg24.png

Lesse, how many times do I have to tell you you came in the conversation late and previous posts prove my response correct? I'm well over a dozen now.

I don't care about your previous comments. You said kids can't act mature, so I decided to prove you wrong. Don't make ridiculous claims if you fear being proven wrong.

I'm not sure if they can, although it would vary depending on age. All the wiki says is that it's not specifically tied to age, but that certainly doesn't mean it's not a factor. Then again, it's an opinionated argument that I don't really want to get into as it has no right answer and doesn't apply to this thread.

Yes they can. If kids always had an immature personality then that 14-year-old would've never went to college. He's living proof that kids can act mature - proof that you were wrong about saying, "No, they can't."

I don't care about your previous comments. You said kids can't act mature, so I decided to prove you wrong. Don't make ridiculous claims if you fear being proven wrong.

I'm not talking about our or my comments, I'm talking about the discussion I was having with him before you jumped in, took one quote out of context, and used that as the entire point of your argument. I suggest you read the whole story before jumping in and trying to make someone out to be a liar.

Yes they can. If kids always had an immature personality then that 14-year-old would've never went to college. He's living proof that kids can act mature.

Maturity and intelligence aren't dependent on one another; just because the kid was a genius doesn't mean he was mature. It's mostly an opinionated argument, and I don't have a strong opinion on it so I'm not that interested, but it's an unusual discussion :lol:

DeviledEgg24.png

I'm not talking about our or my comments, I'm talking about the discussion I was having with him before you jumped in, took one quote out of context, and used that as the entire point of your argument. I suggest you read the whole story before jumping in and trying to make someone out to be a liar.

So you're saying that I'm not allowed to disagree with only one of your statements?

A: "Trees have leaves. Trees have bark. Trees have roots. Trees have hats."

B: "No, trees do not have hats."

Is person B wrong to point that out? Does person B need to disagree with all of his claims in order to be allowed to disagree with the last one?

Maturity and intelligence aren't dependent on one another; just because the kid was a genius doesn't mean he was mature. It's mostly an opinionated argument, and I don't have a strong opinion on it so I'm not that interested, but it's an unusual discussion :lol:

Perhaps it would help if you understood what we're talking about with maturity:

Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctual, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act in serious or non-serious ways.

Now I have a question: Do you (1) think children will always respond to a circumstance in an inappropriate manner, or do you (2) think that sometimes they can respond in an appropriate manner? 1 or 2?

]

So you're saying that I'm not allowed to disagree with only one of your statements?

A: "Trees have leaves. Trees have bark. Trees have roots. Trees have hats."

B: "No, trees do not have hats."

Is person B wrong to point that out? Does person B need to disagree with all of his claims in order to be allowed to disagree with the last one?

Nope, your quite welcome to disagree with me and\or call me a liar. And I'm just as welcome to prove you wrong. I've already mentioned why, and your welcome to read previous posts.

Now I have a question: Do you (1) think children will always respond to a circumstance in an inappropriate manner, or do you (2) think that sometimes they can respond in an appropriate manner? 1 or 2?

Let's see, I've said that I agreed with 2 well over 20 times now. I'd really advise reading posts before responding, you would be amazed to find all of your questions already answered.

DeviledEgg24.png

Let's see, I've said that I agreed with 2 well over 20 times now.

Then you were wrong when you responded to how he said "kids can act mature," by saying "no, they can't." All he was saying is (2) kids can act in an appropriate manner, and you said that they can't.

Z, why do you keep bringing up the "no, they can't" quote over and over again. He has made it abundantly clear that in that context he was talking about physical maturity and brain development. He also has agreed many time over that the "kids" you are talking about are capable of acting maturely. He has just extended that to say that they will in general begin to act more mature as they grow older.

Nothing that he has said is a contradiction until you take quotes out of context and paste them in whatever order looks incriminating. Also nothing he has said is out of line what any psychologist would tell you has been founded in scientific experimentation and observation (and I would know since I had my psychology professor read this entire thread and he agreed that compfreak is right and you are being redundant in bringing up points already settled outside of your out of context quotes.).

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

Z, why do you keep bringing up the "no, they can't" quote over and over again. He has made it abundantly clear that in that context he was talking about physical maturity and brain development.

The context the other guy was talking about WAS NOT ABOUT BRAIN DEVELOPMENT. He specifically said he wasn't talking about that kind!!

For the sake of your own embarrassment, please read:

and I would know since I had my psychology professor read this entire thread and he agreed that compfreak is right and you are being redundant in bringing up points already settled outside of your out of context quotes.

You expect me to take anything you say seriously after that? You're making Comp's argument look even worse.

Then you were wrong when you responded to how he said "kids can act mature," by saying "no, they can't." All he was saying is (2) kids can act in an appropriate manner, and you said that they can't.

Nope. Like I said, he had not distinctly separated the two arguments, and in the manor in which we were discussing them they both crossed over, as Jac pointed out for you. I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat this over and over to you, but I guess you can keep it going.

DeviledEgg24.png