Once a great game. A story/Rant for veteran players.

eatrunearrow

There was a 14-year-old kid who went to college and graduated. You can't honestly be saying that all children are less sensible than all adults.

Sensible and Mature aren't similes. Yes, there are some smart young children, but I have never heard of a documented medical case of someone born with a fully developed brain. If there is one, I somehow doubt that he or she is here on TIF.

Besides, how are we supposed to point out an immature adult post when the vast majority of TIFers aren't even adults and some people don't even have their ages on their profiles? This is why flinging the burden of proof around is bogus. You can purposely ask for evidence which doesn't even have the obligatory conditions to exist in the first place, and say that this is support for your premise. For example, "Most people regret suicide. Find me a person who committed suicide and didn't regret it, and then I'll change my mind."

I'm an adult. Several of the moderators are an adult. There's a few people like I Goddess I who have admitted to being adults. And I've never seen one of us spewing nonsensical, unreadable rants filled with comparisons of Jagex to communism, blatant ignorance of the facts, and fact-free flaming of any of the 'jagex butt kissing puppets' who disagrees with their views. The simple fact is, adults don't act that way. Children do. It isn't really much of a stretch to imagine that 'eatrunearrow', whos sole occupation is 'pwoning noobs' isn't a collage professor.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sensible and Mature aren't similes. Yes, there are some smart young children, but I have never heard of a documented medical case of someone born with a fully developed brain. If there is one, I somehow doubt that he or she is here on TIF.

It was in response to how you said, "No, kids can't be as sensible as adults." This isn't true. While there might be a strong correlation, it doesn't speak the universal truth that all children are less sensible than all adults. By the way, did you mean synonyms?

I'm an adult. Several of the moderators are an adult. There's a few people like I Goddess I who have admitted to being adults. And I've never seen one of us spewing nonsensical, unreadable rants filled with comparisons of Jagex to communism, blatant ignorance of the facts, and fact-free flaming of any of the 'jagex butt kissing puppets' who disagrees with their views. The simple fact is, adults don't act that way. Children do. It isn't really much of a stretch to imagine that 'eatrunearrow', whos sole occupation is 'pwoning noobs' isn't a collage professor.

Ignoring the fact that adults do dumb things too doesn't speak too well for your credibility. Do I really have to search through Google and compile a list of all the stupid things adults have done?

It was in response to how you said, "No, kids can't be as sensible as adults." This isn't true. While there might be a strong correlation, it doesn't speak the universal truth that all children are less sensible than all adults. By the way, did you mean synonyms?

That's the word. It depends how you define sensible; he was looking at it in relation to maturity, and I responded to it as such. "Mature" requires full brain development, which children simply don't have.

Ignoring the fact that adults do dumb things too doesn't speak too well for your credibility. Do I really have to search through Google and compile a list of all the stupid things adults have done?

I'll be sure to call you the day this discussion switches away from unreadable rants to stuipd things. Until then, your welcome to google up rants about wilderness removal.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I'll be sure to call you the day this discussion switches away from unreadable rants to stuipd things. Until then, your welcome to google up rants about wilderness removal.

Why didn't I get that call yet?

I'm saying kids/teenagers can be as sensible as adults if they want

No, they can't.

Also:

The simple fact is, adults don't act that way.

Because you overlooked the line where I referred to maturity. Intelligence and maturity are related, not hardwired to each other. Yes, there are smart kids out there that act mature for their age. No, their brains aren't fully developed, and no, the adults aren't out ranting about the wildreness.

DeviledEgg24.png

Because you overlooked the line where I referred to maturity. Intelligence and maturity are related, not hardwired to each other. Yes, there are smart kids out there that act mature for their age. No, their brains aren't fully developed, and no, the adults aren't out ranting about the wildreness.

You're going in circles now. If you make the assertion that adults aren't the ones ranting about wilderness (we both came to the consensus that this is a stupid action), then what else could your point be besides blaming kids for being the ones who do stupid things and defending adults? You're pretty much saying the only contributing factor to these stupid rants is the poster's adolescence, which is an insult to all young people. It's ageism. And this same vein of thinking is exactly what fuels racism.

One more thing. Do you think the OT is suddenly going to change his mind the moment he turns 25 and "matures"?

So anyone who disagrees with the direction that this game has taken is a child? There are many reasonable arguments against the direction that the game has taken. This is essentially an attempt to use one instance of poor ranting to justify changes that may have been a huge mistake.

Do not tell me that before these changes there were not equally childish rants on forums about scamming, luring, or getting PKed and losing everything. You are attempting to misrepresent everyone who was against these and other updates as idiots, and protray your side as a high level group of users who could not possibly be wrong. That is not the case. This is not a matter of adults vs. children.

In many of my rants I did not have all of the facts, because I simply did not know them. I was not aware of the credit card fraud, and did not think of the growing number of non-english speaking players who would probably rather see pictures over a language that they did not understand.

Jagex is not infallible. There are huge gaps and unexplained situations in the gameplay of runescape that can only be explained as mistakes. There are parts of the game that anyone would obviously see as rushed content or unintended consequences of gamplay updates that Jagex obviously did not think through. I could name dozens of these instances. If Jagex can make mistakes introducing new content, they can make mistakes reforming old content. The industry leading game, and competitor games that are growing at extremely fast rates did not adopt such systems.

I believe that Runescape continues IN SPITE of many of these updates, because the old forumla in F2P that draws people to become members is still intact. They explore all the new content, get bored at some point, and then simply drift back between f2p and p2p.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

One more thing. Do you think the OT is suddenly going to change his mind the moment he turns 25 and "matures"?

Nope, but in a decade or so when he turns 20, I'll bet he'll have changed sometime inbetween.

So anyone who disagrees with the direction that this game has taken is a child? There are many reasonable arguments against the direction that the game has taken. This is essentially an attempt to use one instance of poor ranting to justify changes that may have been a huge mistake.

Nope. Anyone who fills a forum with spammy, unreadable threads protesting the wilderness removal is probably under 25. Comprende?

People have a hard time realizing that RS would not exist with RWT. It was that or credit card payment, which meant the game - they would have lost most of their customer base.

DeviledEgg24.png

The basic point i think people are missing is that: Teenagers such as myself can be stupid yes and we can be smart and act mature KEY WORD ACT!!!!!! being mature comes when your an adult seeing the world and having experience on whats out there. A big saying is respect your elders. I dont fully agree with this due to the fact how some people in our adult world can act like complete children throwing tantrums, but it really does depend on the person on the individual.

!!!!FUZZY BEAR! THE NEW DEFINITION OF A FACEPALM HAS ARRIVED TO TIP.IT FORUMS BE READY FOR THE BEAR!!!!

Nope, but in a decade or so when he turns 20, I'll bet he'll have changed sometime inbetween.

Then you agree that ranting about the wildy isn't just a product of adolescence?

Nope. Anyone who fills a forum with spammy, unreadable threads protesting the wilderness removal is probably under 25. Comprende?

Yeah, seeing as the vast majority of TIFers (and probably PKers too) are under 25 anyways.

People have a hard time realizing that RS would not exist with RWT. It was that or credit card payment, which meant the game - they would have lost most of their customer base.

I agree, but the funny thing is I'm only 18.

The basic point i think people are missing is that: Teenagers such as myself can be stupid yes and we can be smart and act mature KEY WORD ACT!!!!!! being mature comes when your an adult seeing the world and having experience on whats out there.

Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctual, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act in serious or non-serious ways.

Fits in perfectly with how ranting about the wildy is not the appropriate response to the given circumstance.

Then you agree that ranting about the wildy isn't just a product of adolescence?

Nope, but shortsightedness and inability to see beyond ones own desires plus lack of long term consequences is.

Yeah, seeing as the vast majority of TIFers (and probably PKers too) are under 25 anyways.

Yep, but it doesn't change my point.

I agree, but the funny thing is I'm only 18.

That's nice to know. Could you point out the line where I said eveyone under 25 hates the wildy update?

Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctual, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act in serious or non-serious ways.

Fits in perfectly with how ranting about the wildy is not the appropriate response to the given circumstance.

There is more then one definition of maturity. I'm including frontal lobes, the key component to cognitive maturity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontal_lobe), in my observations.

DeviledEgg24.png

Nope, but shortsightedness and inability to see beyond ones own desires plus lack of long term consequences is.

And adults have never done that...? I thought you said this argument was only about the wilderness exclusively.

Yep, but it doesn't change my point.

If it doesn't change your point then it means you don't have one in the first place. Refer back to what I said about the obligatory conditions.

That's nice to know. Could you point out the line where I said eveyone under 25 hates the wildy update?

Oh just the fact that you vigorously repeated that people with undeveloped brains can't make sensible decisions or stances.

There is more then one definition of maturity. I'm including frontal lobes, the key component to cognitive maturity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontal_lobe), in my observations.

It's obvious that you are not mature in that sense until your brain develops because that is what it is defined as, but we are dealing with maturity in the sense of one's actions here. Hence your disagreement that children can't be as sensible as adults.

And adults have never done that...? I thought you said this argument was only about the wilderness exclusively.

And it is, just backing it up.

If it doesn't change your point then it means you don't have one in the first place. Refer back to what I said about the obligatory conditions.

You seem to be confused about my point. I'll repeat it for your benefit. Wilderness rants are created by children who aren't mature enough to see the long term consequences and reasoning behind the updates.

Oh just the fact that you vigorously repeated that people with undeveloped brains can't make sensible decisions or stances.

Again, feel free to point out where I said that. Now, what I HAVE said is that some children with underdeveloped brains don't make sensible decisions.

It's obvious that you are not mature in that sense until your brain develops because that is what it is defined as, but we are dealing with maturity in the sense of one's actions here. Hence your disagreement that children can't be as sensible as adults.

Again, I was referring to his (improper) use of 'sensible' as related to maturity. Replace the word 'sensible' with 'mature'; that's what I did when responding.

DeviledEgg24.png

And it is, just backing it up.

I don't see how abandoning the wildy argument and bringing up "shortsightedness and inability to see beyond ones own desires plus lack of long term consequences" (the generality of dumb actions, which you said this argument was not about) helps back up your point about it being only about wildy rants. It's doing the opposite.

And like I said, adults do stuff like that too so it isn't merely a product of adolescence. This is where ageism comes in. It's the same as a racist saying, "Laziness is a product of being black," even though there are numerous cases of people from different backgrounds being just as lazy.

You seem to be confused about my point. I'll repeat it for your benefit. Wilderness rants are created by children who aren't mature enough to see the long term consequences and reasoning behind the updates.

I've read a lot of your posts and I can see your stance perfectly clear. You have to understand that you're putting all children under this category when you say that. Again, this is the same exact foundation of racism. Why you even bring up the word "children" is beyond me, and seems like a logical fallacy if one would even consider it even pertinent at all. Bringing it up in a negative light doesn't further your argument - it reveals your ageist tendencies the same way bringing up black people in a negative light reveals racist tendencies.

Again, feel free to point out where I said that. Now, what I HAVE said is that some children with underdeveloped brains don't make sensible decisions.

I have... And I'll do so again:

You can't generalise and say all people below (insert age) are immature. Mature has several meanings, one meaning you have met full development of your mind (which is what you're talking about) and another is that you think something out fully and carefully before you talk about it (which even 10 year olds can do if they put their mind to it).

No, they can't.

Again, I was referring to his (improper) use of 'sensible' as related to maturity. Replace the word 'sensible' with 'mature'; that's what I did when responding.

Read the quote right above. He was referring to maturity in the 'sensible' context as opposed to the biological context, yet you still disagreed.

I don't see how abandoning the wildy argument and bringing up "shortsightedness and inability to see beyond ones own desires plus lack of long term consequences" (the generality of dumb actions, which you said this argument was not about) helps back up your point about it being only about wildy rants. It's doing the opposite.

And like I said, adults do stuff like that too so it isn't merely a product of adolescence. This is where ageism comes in. It's the same as a racist saying, "Laziness is a product of being black," even though there are numerous cases of people from different backgrounds being just as lazy.

Your being far too general. I'm referring specifically to this type of thread, which an adult WOULD NOT post.

I've read a lot of your posts and I can see your stance perfectly clear. You have to understand that you're putting all children under this category when you say that. Again, this is the same exact foundation of racism. Why you even bring up the word "children" is beyond me, and seems like a logical fallacy if one would even consider it even pertinent at all. Bringing it up in a negative light doesn't further your argument - it reveals your ageist tendencies the same way bringing up black people in a negative light reveals racist tendencies.

No, I am not.

Ok, look. I'm not sure why your trying to pit my words against each other or convince me of what my opinion is, but my entire point thus far has been this:

Threads like this are made by children, not adults. This is an indisputable fact, and you yourself have said so. Perhaps you should be more clear in what part of that statement your arguing against. Your jumping in the middle of the thread, taking my quotes out of context and raising issues already settled. I don't spell out every single thing I'm referring to in each of my posts, they build on each other. If you read ALL of my previous posts, you would get a better understanding of my stance. Since you obviously haven't and won't, I'm spelling it out for you. I'll repeat it again for your sake. If you want to argue, argue against that statement, which has been my sole point thus far in the thread. Threads like this are made by children, not adults.

DeviledEgg24.png

Why do you say things you don't mean then? :-s

Your being far too general. I'm referring specifically to this type of thread, which an adult WOULD NOT post.

Wait, so maturity only applies to the Rants Forum?

Wait, so maturity only applies to the Rants Forum?

No idea. It might. Feel free to PM me if you'd like a discussion on maturity versus posts.

Now, as I was saying, threads like this are made by immature children, not mature adults. Any other takers?

DeviledEgg24.png

Anyone else want to argue that spammy wilderness posts are written by adults, not children? It was my original point, but we got a bit sidetracked, so to speak.

DeviledEgg24.png

So you're asking for a debate but then you get angry when someone partakes in one? Plus I don't know why you think you settled the last one. All you did was ignore the points I made and bring up a different point that wasn't even being addressed. I'm not arguing that children don't make these threads. I'm arguing that it's stupid to bring it up in the first place. I'm also arguing that young people can be mature.

I guess all of this can be settled if you admit that you're an ageist... O:)

Compfreak despite talking really technically, its kinda obvious that not all adults are sensible people who never complain about anything and not all kids are people that complain about stupid thing all the time.

Good to know. Thanks for the info, I'll remember it.

Now, as I was saying, why are all wildy rants written by children? We appear a slight confusion about sentence order. I don't think saying all children write wildy rants was entirely the point of my original statement.

DeviledEgg24.png

So you're asking for a debate but then you get angry when someone partakes in one? Plus I don't know why you think you settled the last one. All you did was ignore the points I made and bring up a different point that wasn't even being addressed. I'm not arguing that children don't make these threads. I'm arguing that it's stupid to bring it up in the first place. I'm also arguing that young people can be mature.

Let me attempt to shine some light on this subject for you since you somehow seem intent on not understanding what compfreak is saying.

#1 He is asking for any other takers because he has effectively proved all of his points while disproving all the ones you raised that he disagreed with. So this debate between you and him IS settled.

#2 He is not saying that all adolescents are immature. He is saying that only the immature ones would make a spammy wilderness rant. The mature ones, and the adults would not. That is not ageist (nor does that kind of discrimination have anything in common with racism as you inferred, which by the way is an ad hominem argument, trying to push your point by making the person you are debating seem inferior or in this case, racist.) it is a simple truth.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

Let me attempt to shine some light on this subject for you since you somehow seem intent on not understanding what compfreak is saying.

Ad hominem! Ad hominem! :lol:

#1 He is asking for any other takers because he has effectively proved all of his points while disproving all the ones you raised that he disagreed with. So this debate between you and him IS settled.

Nope. I pointed out several posts where he said things such as, "No, children cannot act in a mature manner." Do I honestly have to quote him for like the fifth time? There's only so much ignoring facts can do for you.

#2 He is not saying that all adolescents are immature. He is saying that only the immature ones would make a spammy wilderness rant. The mature ones, and the adults would not. That is not ageist (nor does that kind of discrimination have anything in common with racism as you inferred, which by the way is an ad hominem argument, trying to push your point by making the person you are debating seem inferior or in this case, racist.) it is a simple truth.

Then it isn't racist to say, "Laziness is a product of being black." See where I'm going here? The sheer fact that he brought it up shows that he's an ageist.

Jac, maybe you should do yourself a favor and actually read what's being posted on here? That might be helpful. Maybe then you'll spot what's actually going on, like this:

You can't generalise and say all people below (insert age) are immature. Mature has several meanings, one meaning you have met full development of your mind (which is what you're talking about) and another is that you think something out fully and carefully before you talk about it (which even 10 year olds can do if they put their mind to it).

No, they can't.

Do you seriously agree with that? lol

Now, as I was saying, why are all wildy rants written by children?

Why are all pedophilia acts done by adults?

Sorry, zero, I overlooked your post. I'll respond to it first:

So you're asking for a debate but then you get angry when someone partakes in one?

Err... Where did I say I was angry? I'm sarcastic, but that certainly doesn't mean I'm angry. I love debating.

Plus I don't know why you think you settled the last one. All you did was ignore the points I made and bring up a different point that wasn't even being addressed.

No, all your doing is making up points that I never made. I didn't say all children are immature, or that all children will make immature threads. How many times must I say that for you to get it?

I'm not arguing that children don't make these threads. I'm arguing that it's stupid to bring it up in the first place. I'm also arguing that young people can be mature.

You may think it's stuipd, but it's true. Your welcome to argue against stuipd. If your not arguing that children don't make these threads, then your arguing against someone other them me - that's ALL I've said.

If by "ageist" you mean "someone who thinks childrens brains are less mature then adults", you are correct. Unfortunately for you, the entire field of science and medicine appears to agree with me.

Now, back to the latest post:

Ad hominem! Ad hominem! :lol:

Fair point in this case, but we all do it. The key is minimizing it :P

Nope. I pointed out several posts where he said things such as, "No, children cannot act in a mature manner." Do I honestly have to quote him for like the fifth time? There's only so much ignoring facts can do for you.

Soo, I'm going to get this straight before going against it. Your saying a 10 year old child's brain is as mature and developed as a 30 year olds?

Do you seriously agree with that? lol

Yeah, I do. And so does Wikipedia. I'll await your response to my above statement before attacking it directly.

You know, it'd be nice to get a doctor in here. Then we could gain some insight and finally get the "yes\no" answer you so elusively peruse to the age old question of "is there any difference between a 10 year olds brain and a 30 year olds".

I'm afraid NIMH is against you, though. I quote:

"the UCLA researchers compared MRI scans of young adults, 23-30, with those of teens, 12-16.4 They looked for signs of myelin, which would imply more mature, efficient connections, within gray matter. As expected, areas of the frontal lobe showed the largest differences between young adults and teens. This increased myelination in the adult frontal cortex likely relates to the maturation of cognitive processing and other "executive" functions."

Source: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/teenage-brain-a-work-in-progress-fact-sheet/index.shtml

Feel free to respond with a source of your choice proving a 10 year olds brain is identical to a 30 year olds. We can turn this into a medical debate, I always liked development and growth. I wish we had some certified doctors here on TIF, but I guess professional opinions through web sites will have to suffice. I'll wait until confirmation you really believe there is no difference before a full attack, though.

DeviledEgg24.png