Once a great game. A story/Rant for veteran players.

eatrunearrow

Great thread I agree... It just isnt the same... :|

My question is, what was so different, so great, that you find the need to complain about it?

Which of these were good about the old RS:

Autoers

Douchy PKers

Scammers

Please pick one and tell me how they made the game better than it is today.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I cry myself to sleep at night because bald men don't gang rape yew trees and players named 2072038782842 in full rune don't camp at green dragons anymore.

:roll:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

for every instance I miss the old days for, there's probably 2-3 modern conveniences Jagex has implemented that I love.

It's certainly not the same game as it was years ago but in many ways it's also far superior.

P.S.

Kinda interesting how I'm the oldest tip.it member posting on this thread, I suppose it just highlights how so many people that play RS today didn't have RS accounts back then yet feel they have the insight to comment on the past glory of Runescape.

What does tip.it membership have to do with anything? I've played longer than most people here, but didn't bother coming on forums for a long time.

I do agree with you though. Thank god it's not the game it used to be anymore.

My question is, what was so different, so great, that you find the need to complain about it?

Autoers

Douchy PKers

Scammers

Uhm there were hardly any autoers when I started playing.

Douchy pkers lmao? ALL people do in pvp now is pj, people don't even ask to fight they just run up and attack you.

If you're dumb enough to get scammed you deserve it.

Love the Avatar tho <3:

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Shout to LowFatMilk for the sig! Doin your body and sig good :lol:

Douchy pkers lmao? ALL people do in pvp now is pj, people don't even ask to fight they just run up and attack you.

Love the Avatar tho

There has always been autoers in RS. Though I have to point that 2006-2007 was the worst: yew trees, blue and green dragons, sharks... Infested with either bots or gold farmers.

PVP is pj...pking was pjing also. Unless you don't have lots of mage bank experience back in the day. PVP is risk and competition, why would you warn someone that you are gonna kill them? RC pkers never asked me before killing me ...

As to your comment on scammers, I would love to see you IRL getting ripped off when paying for repairs on your car.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I feel the same way. In fact I have though of making a suggestion that there should be worlds for RS that are totally based off the "good ole times" we remember. For example, free trade could be returned, and the wilderness can come back to all you die hard veteran PKers. Maybe the GE can go back to hell where it belongs (that's my opinion...) and all the pointless and simple mini-games can be taken away. These "old" worlds would only be available to accounts that go above a certain age (3+ maybe?) to accommodate some of the newer, yet not-so-new players that remember the wilderness, mini-games that were actually challenging,and very few noobs/autoers.

Also there will be worlds for even older players, like the men and women that played RSC and transitioned over to RS2. Sure it would be a baron wasteland compared to what is there today, but I know so many people had fun back then with what they were given and never complained about a thing.

Didn't expect this post to be so long. :o

~~Chaise91~~

Autoers

Douchy PKers

Scammers

Love the Avatar tho <3:

Go back to 2004 and try to chop down a yew tree. Can't can you?

If you actually read my previous post I have run down the list of things PKers did to players that was not right at all.

Your last point makes no sense. So the new players were dumb because they did not understand some scams?

Nice try though.

Did not know though that some people would agree with EatRune of all people. I would still like to know though what made the old RS so great.

There has always been autoers in RS. Though I have to point that 2006-2007 was the worst: yew trees, blue and green dragons, sharks... Infested with either bots or gold farmers.

Getting each of your sellable resources taken over by bots one by one. Those sure were the days.

I still remember years ago when the first person finally deduced: "Umm...Guys? I think there are green dragon bots now"

I remember the [cabbage] storm that erupted from that news, not necessarily because everyone loved green dragons, but because it meant the bots were getting smarter, more complex.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

RUDE RANT:

PART 1: YOUR RANT AND HOW KIDS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM:

First, let me start with TheDayRSDied. Skill capes did nothing to ruin the game, they allowed higher level players to show that they have no life and have accomplished hitting that 99 skill level. While some were complete and immature douche bags and carried them around F2P worlds to be hailed as gods, it did nothing to hinder my experience with the game, and made me more likely to level up so I could walk around with that cape and laugh as the little noobies followed me and asked to see my emote.

Give up now. Just because you have TheDayRSDIED praising you as a god does not mean that you have to continue on your little tirade.

And whoever calls me a Jagex fanboy, once again, must remember that they are crying over a game that they obviously have some kind of ties to emotionally if they are complaining, and that makes them just as much, or even more of a fanboy than me.

SUMMARY:

_________

Runescape in 2004 was a place for spammers, scammers, and every other kind of internet dirt bag you could think of.

Runescape in 2009 is exactly what it was in 2004, minus the people who ruined the experience with their idiotic schemes and scams.

/END RANT

Do you play runescape? I'm sick of people claiming that the RWT updates somhow "ended" scamming and "matured the community". There are even worse things now in Merch clans. Instead one lazy, greedy moron getting ripped off becasue he didn't pay attention to the trade screen, or he actually thought he was going to get a "Free whip in that area north of the monestary", EVERYONE has to participate in the scams.

Quit taking the changes of out of context. They were implimented to stop credit card fraud, not to save you because you thought you were going to magically get a free whip if you pulled the lever.

Skillcapes were a complete disaster. It make no sense that raw fish is more expensive than cooked. The game is warped.

And, where I come from, calling half of an arguement "garbage" is not worship. I don't know EatRuneArrow's intent in starting this topic, but the post is not a troll post. That is for the moderators who have undoubtedly looked over this post to determine. It is very nice that there is at least ONE other person on this site who agrees with me though. Any negative intent is likley intent that you created in your head which motivated this pathetically mendacious response to his post.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

I honestly don't see any difference at all between pre-'04 and '09.

I am a veteran player. I am a noob. I play for pleasure. I don't have any 99's, fancy weapons, huge amounts of gold. I currently have about 75k, a Dragon Scimmy, a cool-looking hat and an obsession with Barrows armour.

I am, in short, an average Runescape player.

I am 13. I joined RS when I was eight. Throughout all my years of playing, I have noticed the growing amount of people who will call me a noob because they resent, people who will call others noobs because they're low level, and people who will call others noobs because.. well, they're noobs. It's culture. It's not just the expansion of RS, although that's part of it; It's not because scammers have mainly gone and people haven't quit yet, although that's part of it. The general populace has become.. idiots. It's not the people who play RS; It's the people. We, the people.

The GE has not, actually, really changed gameplay. It's just we all like complaining about THE MAN opressing us and THE MAN regulating us. The GE is a marvelous idea. I used to think 144k was a lot for full rune. I make that much in less then an hour, fishing sharks and selling them on the GE. Really, what is the problem with the GE? You could say merchers. Well, merch yourself, then. You could say it ruins player interaction. Play a minigame, go with a party to KBD, make some friends. You could say I'm just a noob and to feer ur l33t sk3llz, with ur awesome 99 nad my n00by idiotic ways.

I'm just saying: Get over yourselves.

Not it.

Yourselves.

We all like flaunting ourselves. My one major quality is that I've played for a long while. I've een the head of many clans, wore many different sets of armour, and complained about many different things. Okay, so we're drowning in idiots. Ignore them. So people flaunt skill capes. Get one. So people merch the GE. Don't care. Join 'em. So, people are generally a bunch of giant douches, who don't look beyond getting the next 99 to show off, not really caring about the game. Smile and act like you're above them. We are.

wow.jpg

Glad to know my homies are looking out for me.

Autoers

Douchy PKers

Scammers

Love the Avatar tho <3:

Go back to 2004 and try to chop down a yew tree. Can't can you?

If you actually read my previous post I have run down the list of things PKers did to players that was not right at all.

Your last point makes no sense. So the new players were dumb because they did not understand some scams?

Nice try though.

Did not know though that some people would agree with EatRune of all people. I would still like to know though what made the old RS so great.

If you get scammed your an idiot and deserve it. If you don't understand that you must have been scammed haha :roll:

You know what I enjoyed about the old rs? FREEDOM. I used to be able to trade what i want for how much i want. I could kill others and actually get their items... Must be fun for you blindly following jagex... :wall:

Gmeshsig2.jpg

^^^I play a game to enjoy it, I don't play it so I have a reason to complain.

And you're still telling me that people who didn't know that something was a scam, that giving their mithril to someone who say they could trim it, and not knowing that you couldn't trim armor, makes them stupid. If you don't know it's a scam, how are you stupid?

And yes, I do love blindly following Jagex instead of following them with picket signs and waiting for them to tell you to get off their tails. I hated selling, it sucked! Sitting at Falador while people tried to trade you buckets, and people showed up selling it for less.

But of course we must complain that the GE screwed trading, since that was a major part of the problem with the game.

And by the way THEDAYRSDIED, apparently my post is not pathetic since people back me up. I personally said that my opinion is worth nothing (which you obviously skipped over). That's my point of view on the subject. It wasn't just credit card fraud that they stopped, they also stopped a lot of other things that hindered the experience. Have I played the game on Members lately, no. Have I played the game on F2P lately, a little. I have not noticed as much of the crappy players from old anymore.

Skillcapes were a complete disaster. It make no sense that raw fish is more expensive than cooked. The game is warped.

I just thought a bit about that... Raw fish have been more expensive than their cooked counterparts since cook-X and guthan being stable if I remember correctly.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

I just thought a bit about that... Raw fish have been more expensive than their cooked counterparts since cook-X and guthan being stable if I remember correctly.

It shows these skills are popular. So Jagex did a good job with [action]-x and skill capes.. since it gave people an incentive to train the skill. That ended up in raw fish being more expensive than cooked. To me, that implies that raw fish is very popular, which in turn implies that skill capes are popular.. and that is easily witnessed ingame. A lot of people walking around with a fletching/cooking cape.

I don't know.. but something popular makes it sound like Jagex made the right choice. Skill capes a disaster? I wonder how big the riots will be if they're taken away...

Oh, and those people saying that it was better in the old days really need to [bleep] off. Get over it. The game isn't going back to the craphole it used to be. Bad graphics, less content, less convenient gameplay. Seriously, [bleep] RSC. I'm never going back to it. And the community? Scammers, beggars and the same pathetic morons that nowadays still roam the world. Allthough today's community is far from perfect... it wasn't exactly all that great back in the RSC days. It's just a fallacy made up by whiners so that they can continue to keep ranting about how great it was in the old days.

Seriously, just quit the game if you don't like it, and if you really believe it's all that bad. And whining about isn't going to change anything. Jagex owns this game and the fact that their profit still increases every year, despite attracting more employees and increased costs proves that they are doing an overall good job. It proves that people still like to play the game. And in greater numbers over the years.

And you're still telling me that people who didn't know that something was a scam, that giving their mithril to someone who say they could trim it, and not knowing that you couldn't trim armor, makes them stupid. If you don't know it's a scam, how are you stupid?

And yes, I do love blindly following Jagex instead of following them with picket signs and waiting for them to tell you to get off their tails. I hated selling, it sucked! Sitting at Falador while people tried to trade you buckets, and people showed up selling it for less.

But of course we must complain that the GE screwed trading, since that was a major part of the problem with the game.

And by the way THEDAYRSDIED, apparently my post is not pathetic since people back me up. I personally said that my opinion is worth nothing (which you obviously skipped over). That's my point of view on the subject. It wasn't just credit card fraud that they stopped, they also stopped a lot of other things that hindered the experience. Have I played the game on Members lately, no. Have I played the game on F2P lately, a little. I have not noticed as much of the crappy players from old anymore.

So i'm complaining, if you have absolutely no problem with the game why are you on the rants forum? Just to bash other people that don't have that same color of brown on their nose as you?

You lose a set of mith. YOU LEARN. Or you're smart enough to realise. "Huh if I give my wallet to a stranger so he can put $50 in it he might keep it" ITS THE SAME THING. This is why older more mature players get angry, Jagex taking care of ignorant little kids.

Yes, the GE was one of the greatest ideas in recent memory. Who said we needed a trade limit for it to work...?

Gmeshsig2.jpg

So i'm complaining, if you have absolutely no problem with the game why are you on the rants forum? Just to bash other people that don't have that same color of brown on their nose as you?

Freedom of speech is mainly why I write on these boards, as to surfing the rants forums, some rants are legitimate and have discussion value. This one has, but since there is a lot of opinion involved, chances are that passion will drive people and flaming might follow.

You lose a set of mith. YOU LEARN. Or you're smart enough to realise. "Huh if I give my wallet to a stranger so he can put $50 in it he might keep it" ITS THE SAME THING. This is why older more mature players get angry, Jagex taking care of ignorant little kids.

Not ignorant kids, just ignorant newbs. Scamming was a plague and unless you were familiar with a good fansite, you had no idea what was true and what was false unless you were experienced. I don't see how some of the anti-scamming features are bad though... don't say trade limits, they were not implemented for that reason.

As to the G.E., it would work without a trade limit, but it would not be that effective.

People asking for the removal of the trade limits are also asking for the re-appearance of gold farmers and macroers. I will not tolerate another bot-plague Runescape and if this happens, I won't whine about quiting... I'll simply quit.

langerkiller.png

Yes, the GE was one of the greatest ideas in recent memory. Who said we needed a trade limit for it to work...?

What do you have against ignorant little kids? Why are all kids ignorant. Maybe Jagex wants a more family friendly game and don't feel that they need to cater to the "Mature" community. I wonder why, maybe because the mature community continues to play. Why do kids have to get bashed for playing it? Without the demographic below 14, Jagex would be screwed because they make up probably a quarter or more of the people playing the game.

So what if I come to the rants forum even though I don't really have many problems with the game. Since when was this an exclusive club? I find it kind of funny though that you complain that I complain because I state my opinion towards someone. What, I'm not allowed to state my opinion on a matter? Since when do you own this club?

By the way, I am older and more mature, and I don't complain about kids. Maybe you should learn to enjoy the game, or go play something else.

What do you have against ignorant little kids? Why are all kids ignorant. Maybe Jagex wants a more family friendly game and don't feel that they need to cater to the "Mature" community. I wonder why, maybe because the mature community continues to play. Why do kids have to get bashed for playing it? Without the demographic below 14, Jagex would be screwed because they make up probably a quarter or more of the people playing the game.

So what if I come to the rants forum even though I don't really have many problems with the game. Since when was this an exclusive club? I find it kind of funny though that you complain that I complain because I state my opinion towards someone. What, I'm not allowed to state my opinion on a matter? Since when do you own this club?

By the way, I am older and more mature, and I don't complain about kids. Maybe you should learn to enjoy the game, or go play something else.

Because, in general, younger ignorant kids are less mature and more annoying then any other type of player. None of us like to be annoyed, so we don't like the people or things that annoy us.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Langer you're completely right.

"What do you have against ignorant little kids? Why are all kids ignorant." Age doesn't always describe intelligence. I'm talking about the general population that buy into these rediculously obvious scams.

Cool, you're older. That's nice. I'll complain about whatever I want AND enjoy the game kay?

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Langer you're completely right.

"What do you have against ignorant little kids? Why are all kids ignorant." Age doesn't always describe intelligence. I'm talking about the general population that buy into these rediculously obvious scams.

Cool, you're older. That's nice. I'll complain about whatever I want AND enjoy the game kay?

It's a nice theory, but it's wrong. Here's the example I'll use:

Take a room full of 30 year olds, and a room of 10 year olds. Which room do you expect to be smarter and more mature?

Point proven. Yeah, there's a few exceptions to the rule, but it's simple biology - the younger you are, the dumber and less mature you are. You can provide examples countering this all day long, but at the end of the day it's an unquestionable fact.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks