Tip.It Times: 29 Mar 2009

n_odie

Any chance someone could post the article here as im at work and cant see them on the site.
Here you go! :)

[hide=Skilling Ease by DarkDude98]This week saw the release of the ability to automatically use bones on an altar in Player-Owned-Houses, saving a lot of clicking. This is the latest in what some players are saying is making the game easier, but is this really the case?

Those of you who played what is now known as RuneScape Classic should know about the differences between then and now, especially in the three main gathering skills: Mining, Fishing and Woodcutting. At the very start, you were required to click on the gathering tool and then click the thing you wished to use it on to gather resources. This didnt last very long and Jagex was soon forced to make some slight improvements. Every time you wanted to fish, for example, you would have to click on the fishing spot, regardless if you caught a fish or not. This was even more of a problem for lobsters which were originally spots which required you to right click on them first to get to the option to fish lobsters before the spots in the Fishing guild and Brimhaven were added. The same applied to both Woodcutting and Mining. Each time you wanted to gather the resource, you had to click each time you attempted to collect it. Towards the end of RuneScape Classic, Jagex added in different types of pickaxes, varying from bronze up to rune. Each type of pickaxe had the exact same chances of acquiring the ore, however if you used a bronze pickaxe it would swing once whereas the rune pickaxe would swing twelve times per click or until you got the ore.

With the release of RuneScape 2, Jagex changed the way the three main gathering skills worked. With mining, you only had to click once on a rock and it would continue mining until you had the ore, no matter which type of pickaxe you were using. The type of pickaxe determined the chance of getting an ore, similar to how the type of woodcutting axe behaved in RSC. With woodcutting, one click on a tree would keep you chopping until your inventory was full or the tree fell down, which occurred after a random number of logs had been cut. The only exception was normal trees which collapsed after one log no matter what. Fishing required you to click only once on the fishing spot and you would continue fishing until the fishing spot moved elsewhere or your inventory became full, similar to how woodcutting was changed to work. This was the first major change Jagex made to the game which had some players thinking it was unfair. The amount of clicking required to train these skills was dramatically decreased.

Fletch-X and Cook-X were the first of the do-x updates to be added. With Cook-x it did not slow the skill down at all and stopped you from having to click over and over again while with fletching it slowed the skill down significantly as it was much quicker to make bows manually. It was, however, also a lot less effort involved in getting the skill up. These two skills are arguably the easiest skills in the game which is proven by the fact that a lot of people appear to get one or the other as their first skill to level 99 to obtain a skill cape.

Since then plenty of other skills, such as Smithing, Crafting, Herblore and most recently Prayer, have had similar updates made to them. The majority of these updates have actually slowed the skills down and simply reduced the amount of clicking required to level. Does this make the skills easier? In my opinion, no. Sure, it takes less effort to get, but that doesnt make it easy.

Which brings up the question: what makes a skill easy? The time it takes to level? The amount of money required to level? How useful the skill is? Farming takes a long time to get level 99, but I wouldnt say it is a hard skill. Herblore is a skill which is fairly quick to level but is generally regarded as quite a hard skill. Slayer is arguably the skill which takes the longest to get to level 99, but I wouldnt say it is hard either. It is a fairly relaxing skill and by the time you have level 99 Slayer, you could have also acquired level 99 in the melee stats required to train slayer and have enough charms for level 99 Summoning from monster drops too. Construction is the most expensive skill to train to level 99, but once you have all the materials needed, it is fairly quick to level. But is it hard? Not in my opinion.

There seems to be no exact formula when it comes to what makes a skill easy. With the speed at which RuneScape changes with new training methods coming out, skills will always get easier over time and there will always be those who have already trained the skills who will think the updates will be unfair, but those people should know by now with such a dynamic game, nothing will be the same week in and week out. There is no point in complaining about it as it will change nothing. Those people picked to get their experience when they did.[/hide][hide=A Dying Flame, Part 4 by N0M_AN0R]Three Days Ago

Heres another one.

Prysin turned the still-warm corpse of an alley cat over with the toe of his boot. The bite marks were obvious, gaping up at him from the midst of fur dark with blood. A fresh kill. The perpetrator had to be somewhere close by. Prysin thirsted for an explanation for the presence of such creatures in Misthalin.

Over there! Damians shout ignited a surge of excitement in Prysin. Eagerly he turned to see his friend forging deeper into the alley, going slow on account of the darkness. Prysin had advised against torches for fear of alerting their quarry to their presence. He had advised against raised voices for similar reasons.

Quiet down, will you? Prysin hurried to catch up to Damian. We cant lose him tonight. If we do, we become the hunted. We wont see another week.

Damian looked at him gravely. The long time Prysin had known him notwithstanding, Damian was a wild card. A fellow knight of Varrock and a dabbler in magic, Damian had a reckless and unscrupulous way about him that had gotten him into trouble before and was bound to do so again. Sorry, he said. It sounded decidedly insincere.

Where?

Damian pointed further down the alley. He has pretty limited options, he observed. Hes effectively cornered. We wont lose him. And before Prysin could say trap, he had begun again to creep into the darkness. Prysin cursed to himself and followed.

He stopped at the first shadowy door he came to; Damian did not. Trusting the fool to be able to look after himself for a few seconds, Prysin drew his knife and moved to investigate the doorway.

He had not taken two steps when he heard Damian shout. Whirling about, he dashed in his friends direction before he had seen clearly what was happening. As a result, he bowled straight into a human figure and sent them both crashing to the ground.

A second was all that was needed to confirm that he had not tackled Damian; the figure began to writhe and snarl and landed a powerful blow to Prysins midsection. Prysin attempted to bring his knife around, but his opponent seemed to anticipate the action, and with inhuman speed sent the weapon soaring from his hand. Another blow to his stomach, this one much more powerful, sent Prysin flying backwards. He landed hard and found his breath would not come; desperately he tried to bring his limbs under his control while dizzy for lack of air.

Ive got her!

Prysin finally managed to draw in a labored breath. He hadnt been set upon; but of course that was because Damian had taken care of it. Thank Saradomin for Damian, and curse him to burn eternally with Zamorak. He heaved himself to his feet.

Damian was a few paces away, squared off against what appeared to be a woman, motionless against the alley wall. Seeing that Prysin was up, he said conversationally, Ive got her bound. Amateur stuff.

Prysin was still focusing on returning his breathing to normal. Good. Can she talk? he said between sharp intakes of breath.

You bet she can. Take a gander.

Prysin did and received a shock; he was looking at a face he knew well. The Lady Sasa, come to Varrocks court some months ago in the train of an ambassador from Asgarnia, scowled at him. Her fangs gleamed even in the darkness.

Id never have thought one so petty and simpering to be worthy of so much notice, Damian remarked.

Its people like you she was aiming to fool with that disguise, Prysin said, rather more sharply than he intended. Before Damian could retort, he asked, Can you make her talk?

Certainly, Damian said. Only . . . youd best not be mentioning that to anyone.

Just do it.

I will fight you as hard as I can, Sasa snarled. Damian merely smiled and closed his eyes. Moments later, Sasa continued, Lord Drakan could have use for you.

Not much of a fight, Damian observed.

Shes under your spell?

Quite.

Prysin stepped in close to Sasa. She regarded him coolly, not seeming the least perturbed to be under Damians influence. Either she wasnt, or Damian had done a remarkable job. Who is Lord Drakan?

Sasa smiled and leaned forward, as if to confide in him a great secret. He is the rightful Lord of these lands, she said, almost gleefully.

Is he like yourself? That is, a vampire?

Oh, he is much more than I, she whispered. Much more terrible. Much more magnificent. And his day is coming. He has told me so! Her face lit up, and she bared her fangs in a parody of a smile.

Laying it on a bit thick, isnt she? commented Damian.

You sure you arent? Prysin shot back. Damian did not deign to respond, so Prysin turned back to his interrogation. What is he going to do?

Going to do? It is already under way! Sasa giggled girlishly. Tiny cracks in the structures of men, waiting for a wedge to be driven into them. They are vast, they are intricate! Just waiting to be . . . exploited. Sasa leaned in so close that Prysin started back. The kingdoms of the west are dying flames, each one wavering before the oncoming storm . . . and when they are gone, the darkness will be absolute!

Prysin made a decision. This creature had been among the court of Varrock for months; she said this Drakans time was soon; all evidence suggested that there was little time. He drew away from Sasa. Im leaving. It will be dawn soon; Ill be gone by then.

Hey, wait a second! protested Damian. What do we do with her? And where are you even going?

See what more you can get out of her, and then make her forget. As for where Im going, Ill not tell you. But, he grabbed Damians arm and looked him in the eyes, you must not tell anyone either. Not even my father. You have no idea where Ive gone, understand?

What? I can help

No! Prysin shook his friend roughly. You cant, and tell no one! He had his own ideas where to look, and if Damian had shown him anything it was how easy it would be for those ideas to be compromised. You keep an eye on her and the rest of the court, and keep silent. He started for the alley mouth, lit faintly by the oncoming dawn. He turned back to see Damian still staring after him, with Sasa still bound by his magic.

Remember, tell no one.

Prysin found himself sitting across the table from another vampire woman, this one a light of hope against the onslaught of darkness he knew to be coming. Aestas Sol regarded him silently, thoughtfully, and a hint worriedly. She was rolling a glass orb about in her hands. She had gone to fetch that orb from the floor after letting him in, and had been holding much the same throughout Prysins tale.

I know you somehow defeated Count Draynor, Prysin said, leaning forward in appeal. And if my suspicions are correct, we are soon going to be facing much, much more where he came from. Much worse.

Why should she help you on a whim? said the young man beside her, rather aggressively. He had identified himself as Manny. You could be totally wrong, and what does it have to do with us?

Hes not wrong, Aestas said before Prysin could retort. She held up the orb. This showed me. Lord Drakan. I saw him, talking about his plans. Plans for Gielinor. She stared intensely at Prysin. He talked about you. A knight of Varrock. He knows.

Prysin did not stop to question the statement. He stood up sharply. We need to leave as soon as possible.

Hey, wait Manny began.

Leave? Aestas cried. Hes sending people here!

The room fell silent. Sending people . . . here? Manny repeated.

Hes after you, Aestas said, nodding at Prysin. And me, I suppose, she added, looking troubled.

Which is why we have to leave. Now, Prysin urged.

I cant abandon the village to monsters! Aestas cried. I could help them! She pulled from beneath her blouse a golden amulet. This is what saved me from Count Draynor. This is what could save Draynor village!

Prysin was intrigued by the amulet, but he was itching to act. Aestas, he said, as levelly as he could, I cannot in good conscience remain here knowing that there are monsters of unknown strength coming on my account. The best good you could do is by leaving! You do not know for sure if you could survive an encounter with whatever is coming, and the village will likely not be bothered if you or I arent here. Drakan likely still wants secrecy. He will not risk harming anyone he does not have to and raising the alarm.

Go, Aestas, Dr. Harlow said suddenly.

Everyone turned to the pudgy doctor, who had thus far been silent. He removed his glasses and began cleaning them, speaking to his hands rather than the rest of the room. Prysin is right. You cannot risk staying here. Saradomin knows I dont want any more harm to befall you than already has.

But what if hes wrong? asked Aestas quietly. Even as she rose from her seat, she looked down at the doctor and repeated, What if hes wrong?

Dr. Harlow looked up and smiled sadly. Why then, child, well give them hell to pay.

Aestas threw herself at him and hugged him fiercely. Prysin busied himself collecting his pack and averted his eyes. He looked up to find that Aestas had joined him. Lets go, she said.

Prysin looked back at Harlow and Manny, who looked rather thunderstruck. He addressed the doctor. Thank you for your understanding, my good man. Please, keep this a secret from anyone not in this room. Whatever you do, tell no one.

With that, he strode from the house, Aestas close behind.[/hide][hide=RuneScape Related Recipes by Necromagus]Cooking is one of the oldest skills in Runescape. From simple shrimp to perfect pies, the game offers a wide range of dishes for players to cook, and almost every cooking level comes with a new recipe to try out. While pixels taste rather bland, the real-life counterpart of these recipes are quite tasty and surprisingly easy to prepare. This week I'll show you some of my favourite recipes for such Runescape dishes as fish cakes, baked potatoes and apple pie.

A few notes regarding these recipes:

• [*:2wjxl6gd]Always know what you are doing, or work with someone who knows what they are doing. While these recipes are relatively simple, we strongly advice that those of you who aren't adult yet find one to help them.

[*:2wjxl6gd]All oven temperatures are in Celsius, but I've added Fahrenheit estimates.

[*:2wjxl6gd]Cook fresh: When at all possible, choose fresh ingredients. Your body deserves only the best.

Baked potatoes:

Baked potatoes are relatively easy and a lot of fun to try various toppings with. To begin with, take as many large (russet) potatoes as you have people to serve. Scrub the potatoes thoroughly and puncture the peel a few times with a fork. Make an x-shaped cut on the top of the potato, going down about halfway through the potato. Place the potatoes with the cut facing up on a sheet of aluminum foil and carefully cover them up. Preheat the oven at 225 degrees Celsius (~420 degrees Fahrenheit). Place the covered potatoes in the center of the oven and heat them up for about 45 minutes. The potatoes are properly cooked when you can stick a fork in with little resistance on all sides. Be very careful handling the potatoes, as they will be extremely hot. Now, as for the toppings, there are many possibilities for variation, and I've listed two here:

Baked potato with cheese

When you've carefully removed the foil from the potatoes, press the cross cut open as far as it will go and spread in the cheese. Although most cheeses will work, I prefer something spicy like a well-aged Gouda. If you're worried that the potato is too dry, place a small amount of butter on top before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste. For variation, you can also add in some fresh chives or a handful of smoked bacon.

Baked potato with mushrooms and onions

In a frying pan, heat up some butter and olive oil in a 1:1 ratio. When it's hot enough add about a cup of mushrooms and half an onion per potato. Glaze the mushrooms and onions until the onions are clear. Place the onions and mushrooms in the cut, then drizzle the liquid over the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Apple pie

Apple pie is probably one of the most popular recipes out there. It comes in hundreds of variations, all of which are delicious in their own way. The recipe I'm posting here is one of the simplest I know; it's an apple crumble that's perfect for desert.

Ingredients:

• [*:2wjxl6gd]4 large sweet apples

[*:2wjxl6gd]225 grams of flour

[*:2wjxl6gd]115 grams of butter

[*:2wjxl6gd]90 grams of sugar

[*:2wjxl6gd]1 tablespoon of cinnamon

[*:2wjxl6gd]Honey

[*:2wjxl6gd]1 pinch of salt

Peel your apples, cut them in thin slices and carefully arrange them on the bottom of an oven dish. Lightly dust the apples with cinnamon, and drizzle some hoeny over it. In a mixing bowl, mix he flour, butter, sugar and salt into a firm crumbly dough. Spread it evenly across the apples. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees celsius (~350 degrees Fahrenheit). Bake the crumble for about 20 minutes at this temperature, until the top is golden brown and dry to the touch.

Fish cakes

This recipe, taken straight from the Recipe for Disaster quest, is by far the most difficult of the three. I've kept it as straightforward as possible, but it's still rather tricky for inexperienced cooks.

Ingredients:

• [*:2wjxl6gd]750 gr. Cod filet

[*:2wjxl6gd]2-3 boiled potatoes

[*:2wjxl6gd]2 cloves of garlic, minced

[*:2wjxl6gd]1 egg

[*:2wjxl6gd]3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley

[*:2wjxl6gd]2 teaspoons nutmeg

[*:2wjxl6gd]Salt and freshly ground pepper

[*:2wjxl6gd]Flour

[*:2wjxl6gd]Peanut oil

Poach the cod in water or fish broth. Once it's done, cut it up as finely as possible. Mash it up with your boiled potatoes. Whisk your egg and mix it into the potato/cod mixture with the garlic, parsley, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Moisten your hands to press the mixture into six to eight flat, round cakes. Heat up the peanut oil in a frying pan. Cover both sides of the cakes in flour and bake them evenly on all sides until they're golden brown and crispy. Place them on some paper towels to let the excess fat run out. They can be eaten both cold and hot.

So there you have it, three RuneScape related recipes, two rather simple and one a bit more advanced. Of course, cooking isn't an exact science, and you might find slight (or major) variations to these recipes could make them a lot more appetizing. Still, I hope these recipes are enough to convince you to go out there and cook, either for yourself, your family or your friends, and make the world a tastier place to live in.[/hide]

nice times... as always. The RL cooking seems nice, might try some of them. I know that for some players, adding macros like cook-x and pray-x cheapens their previous achievements but it's part of the game to evolve periodically. I don't mind getting easier ways to level, I hated training prayer because of the constant clicking. Now I will make full use of the skill and probably aim for 90+ shortly. This is the upgrade year and I enjoy what I see so far.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Recipes? The other two were good but recipes? If I want to cook I don't look on TIF.
Hey, you never know who might want to cook something from RuneScape. :P

Where the hell do you intend to get a few real life mind runes and air runes? :lol:

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Pffft. Those that played late RSC didn't get the whole story about how skilling (especially mining) was an adventure in pain and torture. Time to play old balls here...

Early RS (early 2001) was vastly different. To mine ore, you had to:

Click on the pickaxe in your inventory.

Click on the rock.

Hope that you managed to mine your ore, since you could easily fail, or find the ore hasn't respawned, or mis-clicked the rock and dropped your pickaxe (seriously, if you clicked on a space of ground you'd dump your pick there instead of mining the rock). You'd better hope that there weren't people standing there also, because A) there was no right-click option to grab stuff off the ground, so B) if there was one other person there, interacting with them in some way would be the left click option, not getting your pick.

This was on top of the other hardships of the time; no item banks, minimum 3 melee rounds rule if you were low combat mining in the Dwarven Mine, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

Conclusion, you don't know how hard mining (and, by extension, fishing and woodcutting) used to be. I don't think the skilling article does the history aspect justice. :)

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

Pffft. Those that played late RSC didn't get the whole story about how skilling (especially mining) was an adventure in pain and torture. Time to play old balls here...

Early RS (early 2001) was vastly different. To mine ore, you had to:

Click on the pickaxe in your inventory.

Click on the rock.

Hope that you managed to mine your ore, since you could easily fail, or find the ore hasn't respawned, or mis-clicked the rock and dropped your pickaxe (seriously, if you clicked on a space of ground you'd dump your pick there instead of mining the rock). You'd better hope that there weren't people standing there also, because A) there was no right-click option to grab stuff off the ground, so B) if there was one other person there, interacting with them in some way would be the left click option, not getting your pick.

This was on top of the other hardships of the time; no item banks, minimum 3 melee rounds rule if you were low combat mining in the Dwarven Mine, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

Conclusion, you don't know how hard mining (and, by extension, fishing and woodcutting) used to be. I don't think the skilling article does the history aspect justice. :)

I mentioned both the fact that you had to click on the pickaxe and then the rock and the fact that you had to try again if you failed to get the ore so I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about.

It is an Editorial: "an article in a newspaper or other periodical presenting the opinion of the publisher, editor, or editors."

The editor in this case did a fine job.

8-)

Ah, yes, but what's the point if there isn't anything backing his opinion up to make the reader think "oh that's a good opinion, I agree with him".

It was a good article, with some relatively good points - maybe I was being a bit over critical. :)

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

All I see is: they slowed down skills significantly.. like fishign and fletching and herblore!! Not fair!! i don't want to spend 40 extra hours getting my fishing from 92-99 that I wouldn't have had to spend back before x.. x is lazy... If you need it, fine.. Give me the option to not have to use it though.. I want fast xp even if i have to click continuously to get it!

I really liked the cooking article, I think that more 'random' articles would be great, and that those sorts of articles make a nice change from the RuneScape and fictional ones.

It is an Editorial: "an article in a newspaper or other periodical presenting the opinion of the publisher, editor, or editors."

The editor in this case did a fine job.

8-)

Ah, yes, but what's the point if there isn't anything backing his opinion up to make the reader think "oh that's a good opinion, I agree with him".

It was a good article, with some relatively good points - maybe I was being a bit over critical. :)

But most of the article was facts and perhaps only the last bit about which skills are easy was opinion, I don't know what you wanted to back that up? Quotes from other people on the forums saying it's easy?

Fish caaakes...

:thumbsup: I showed my mum the recipe article. I think I'll be munching on some fish cakes next time we get fish...

And now pray-x? w000t! Wish that was there when I was going for 55 prayer (no buried d bones w00t) buuut 70 pray is on the horizon!

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

I think it all depends on how you want to look at it...

If you don't have much money, you may say the skill that takes the most money is harder.

If you don't have much patience, then you may say the skill that takes the most patience is harder.

Its not just one skill is harder than others. Because other people have other weaknesses and strengths... ::'

Mud_Man55.png

Mud_Man55.png

archsupportei2.png

My own view is that a skill is difficult if you dislike it, easier the more you enjoy it. Also there are 'combination' skills e.g. woodcutting/firemaking or woodcutting/fletching. For me Hunting is the most difficult skill because I find it utterly boring and quite useless. Fishing can be boring but it provides needed food which also helps with cooking xp. Hence my Hunting lvl is a mere 62 while fishing (and cooking) are 80 or thereabouts.

There are dozens of different things to do on RS so if "make x" frees up a little time than all well and good.

Yo runescapers...I found out that we can now wield cabbages and throw at people haha. You have to turn on your accept aid on and have your shield and weapon slot must be empty.HaHa simply just pick a cabbage from a cabbage farm and there you go A CABBAGE LANTERN!!!!!wahahahaha Dont tell them i said that....it may be used for the upcoming holidays event..Enjoy!!!!!please spread this around. Thanks

Pang78.png

I've read both the first and third articles and enjoyed both. In fact, I've recently been considering trying a couple of the foods IRL and will probably be showing my mother the recipe article if I remember later. :D

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

I actually thought my article wasn't that good, I sort of changed subject slightly in the second half of it, hell I almost scrapped the article so I'm surprised to see it get praised so much.

Thanks <3:

Your story didn't suck but it definitely seemed to be awkwardly written. I immediately saw where you changed your subject halfway through and the closure should have been totally left out. Sometimes, the article will speak for itself and doesn't need an awkward summary at the end.

However, I did enjoy the facts about classic, learned something new :P.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

The difficulty of a skill is the difficulty of being able to stay with the skill long enough to reach 99.

Runecraft, Herblore, Slayer, Agility: These are probably the hardest skills to stick with for 13m experience. (For money, time, clicking, any reason)

Fletching, Cooking, combats, easiest skills because of how easy it is to multitask or afk.

jadsenttolumbyuj2.png

Have to disagree with a number of points with the article on "make x" things.

It says fletching, smithing and crafting were made slower, yet that is not true.

Having to manually click the material with the equipment (such as log on knife, leather on needle) then choose what you want to make over and over again compared to "make x" is not faster by any means.

In those 3 skills, its faster and less clicking, by all accounts than what is was before.

But when fletching recieved the "string x", it did make it slower, at the expense of less clicking. And similarly with herblore too, it was faster to manual click. Only cooking recieved the balanced update, as it was the same speed as before, but just removed the endless grinding somewhat.