Pokemon RBY: The Real Pokemon Games

Zaaps1

I guess anyone can have this "neoclassic" feeling about anything, but does anyone else feel that the Pokemon games get worse each new generation? RBY was terrific. But each new generation, the Pokemon look so much less, idk, "real".

Each time I look at the newest game out, I always compare it to RBY. Sure the graphics failed, but back then it was an ORIGINAL game, not modeled. Every new generation, it seems like Nintendo is just modeling pokemon off the previous game.

And sometimes, I feel like Nintendo just ran out of creativity. Just look at some of the new pokemon, some of them are simply new evolutions. Crobat, Steelix, and the new Eevee evolutions come to mind.

And then there's the legendary Pokemon. There was 5 in RBY (if you wanna count Snorlax, I'm not counting Mew though). Each game there JUST KEEPS GETTING MORE. Legendaries are cool and all, but do we really need so many?

I can't really describe it, but RBY were the REAL Pokemon games. All the other ones just feel like copies. Sure they introduce new graphics and exciting new things to do in each, but as more the basic plotline, they're unoriginal.

That's really all I have to say specifically about RBY. I guess this thread could be open to general discussion about RBY, but the main point I wanna make is that, imo, RBY was the BEST generation. Sure there's bad graphics, and sure the storyline is so simple, but each game after it just gets worse. Imo, half of the the Pokemon in Diamond and Pearl just look like machines.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yellow, so no Missingno for me :(

I guess anyone can have this "neoclassic" feeling about anything, but does anyone else feel that the Pokemon games get worse each new generation? RBY was terrific. But each new generation, the Pokemon look so much less, idk, "real". The only 'bad' pokemon games I think are the latest, pearl and diamond.

Each time I look at the newest game out, I always compare it to RBY. Sure the graphics failed, but back then it was an ORIGINAL game, not modeled. Every new generation, it seems like Nintendo is just modeling pokemon off the previous game. so the original mario was better than the next 3, as well as the first zelda game? I thought OoT was the best?

And sometimes, I feel like Nintendo just ran out of creativity. Just look at some of the new pokemon, some of them are simply new evolutions. Crobat, Steelix, and the new Eevee evolutions come to mind. Obviously they ran out of creativity, but Crobat and Steelix were 2nd gen pokemon, and 2nd gen pokemon imo were the best. They were add-ons to pokemon that needed them.

And then there's the legendary Pokemon. There was 5 in RBY (if you wanna count Snorlax, I'm not counting Mew though). Each game there JUST KEEPS GETTING MORE. Legendaries are cool and all, but do we really need so many? Appeal to kids - kids think that the more they have the better they are. And to milk movies too.

I can't really describe it, but RBY were the REAL Pokemon games. All the other ones just feel like copies. Sure they introduce new graphics and exciting new things to do in each, but as more the basic plotline, they're unoriginal. No one cares about the 'plotline' lol, it's all about competition against eachother anyway.

That's really all I have to say specifically about RBY. I guess this thread could be open to general discussion about RBY, but the main point I wanna make is that, imo, RBY was the BEST generation. Sure there's bad graphics, and sure the storyline is so simple, but each game after it just gets worse. Imo, half of the the Pokemon in Diamond and Pearl just look like machines. That's your opinion though. Yeah sure RBY was the first, that doesnt make it the best, the best imo was GSC, where the special stat was halved into attack and defence, needed pokemon came out, a decent amount of legit legendaries were out, pokemon werent completely overpowered and the moves werent overpowered or cheap.

Does anyone else feel the same way? You've posted in the Pokemon Thread KC basically stole from me ( :P ), why make a new thread for the exact same thing? Might be a completely different sub topic, but its still kinda pokemon.

Lol, missingno was nowhere near hard to get, neither were the other glitch pokemon, only a few were hard.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Well, I'll agree and disagree.

Each of the Pokemon games usually adds something new into the game.

GSC added the Steel type, and improved upon some aspects of the game.

RSE added the Contests, which in themselves were fun to do.

While the amount of Legendaries has increased each game, DPP added TOO many.

RBY = 5

GSC = 6

RSE = 10

Okay, I added in the "unobtainables". Maybe 10 is a little high, but it was still reasonably acceptable, since the game added something new.

DPP = 14. 14? Seriously? What the hell were they playing at?

Oh and if someone can say something viable that DPP added to the series, then I shall consume my shoe.

Though really, I'd kill for a remake of RBY with only the original 151, but adding in the improvements GSC added, and the contests from RSE.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Imo GSC is just how original pokemon games should have been released.

DPP ADDED NOTHING, NOTHING EXCEPT MORE RIGGED MOVES AND MORE OVERPOWERED POKEMON.

Thus turning the series itself into a thirst for power, not a thirst for fun.

Although DPP is the only game where its possible to get over 8/10ths of all pokemon

I guess anyone can have this "neoclassic" feeling about anything, but does anyone else feel that the Pokemon games get worse each new generation? RBY was terrific. But each new generation, the Pokemon look so much less, idk, "real". The only 'bad' pokemon games I think are the latest, pearl and diamond.

Each time I look at the newest game out, I always compare it to RBY. Sure the graphics failed, but back then it was an ORIGINAL game, not modeled. Every new generation, it seems like Nintendo is just modeling pokemon off the previous game. so the original mario was better than the next 3, as well as the first zelda game? I thought OoT was the best?

And sometimes, I feel like Nintendo just ran out of creativity. Just look at some of the new pokemon, some of them are simply new evolutions. Crobat, Steelix, and the new Eevee evolutions come to mind. Obviously they ran out of creativity, but Crobat and Steelix were 2nd gen pokemon, and 2nd gen pokemon imo were the best. They were add-ons to pokemon that needed them.

And then there's the legendary Pokemon. There was 5 in RBY (if you wanna count Snorlax, I'm not counting Mew though). Each game there JUST KEEPS GETTING MORE. Legendaries are cool and all, but do we really need so many? Appeal to kids - kids think that the more they have the better they are. And to milk movies too.

I can't really describe it, but RBY were the REAL Pokemon games. All the other ones just feel like copies. Sure they introduce new graphics and exciting new things to do in each, but as more the basic plotline, they're unoriginal. No one cares about the 'plotline' lol, it's all about competition against eachother anyway.

That's really all I have to say specifically about RBY. I guess this thread could be open to general discussion about RBY, but the main point I wanna make is that, imo, RBY was the BEST generation. Sure there's bad graphics, and sure the storyline is so simple, but each game after it just gets worse. Imo, half of the the Pokemon in Diamond and Pearl just look like machines. That's your opinion though. Yeah sure RBY was the first, that doesnt make it the best, the best imo was GSC, where the special stat was halved into attack and defence, needed pokemon came out, a decent amount of legit legendaries were out, pokemon werent completely overpowered and the moves werent overpowered or cheap.

Does anyone else feel the same way? You've posted in the Pokemon Thread KC basically stole from me ( :P ), why make a new thread for the exact same thing? Might be a completely different sub topic, but its still kinda pokemon.

Lol, missingno was nowhere near hard to get, neither were the other glitch pokemon, only a few were hard.

But missingno isn't in yellow at all.

I'm not saying that the newer games are junk or aren't fun. I'm not saying that making them was a bad call. If I were Nintendo, I would do the same thing. I just feel that RBY was the best. GSC I liked as well because you got both worlds to explore, and they didn't go overboard with new Pokemon.

Well, I haven't played enough of the Mario of Zelda games to draw a conclusion about that, although imo Twilight Princess was the most fun out of the ones I've played. But the thing is, Mario and Zelda are a different medium than Pokemon. They're different. I can see how the comparison could work, but I can't make the connection between Zelda and Pokemon. They just feel different when I play them. Mario and Zelda are action games, so it's easier to get new, fresh things. As gaming tech improves, they'll naturally get better as well. But Pokemon is just adventure, or you could argue strategy too. It's just like a feeling that I have that the old ones were better than the newer ones. Call me conservative.

Yeah it's all about competition. But was introducing the Dark and Steel elements needed? What I feel is that in the overall scheme of things, each new game seems like an expansion pack to the last. The foundation was built in RBY, so I like that one the best.

And yes, I understand that this is just my opinion. I agree that Nintendo should make new Pokemon games from a business perspective. But once again, I just feel that RBY was the best generation, I don't really know how to say it in words.

Well yes, you made a Pokemon thread already. But you were talking about stuff irrelevant to what I wanted to bring up. I guess you could say I stole it, but this thread isn't so much a discussion as yours is.

EDIT: They did do a remake of RBY, Firered and Leafgreen. I guess they were ok, since the graphic enhancement was nice. But still, it wasn't as much of the original as I would've liked to see.

I do not consider them as remakes.

They added the ability to get pokemon from newer generations, sorry, thats not a good remake in my opinion. They SHOULD have stuck with the original 151 for a true remake. Plus they added in too much with the islands imo.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Pokemon was fun with RBY. After that, they just started to milk the whole thing. Gold and Silver could do as well, but after that it started to get silly. I never liked the new Pokemon. I remember how fun it was all those years ago. It was a big hype at our school. Must've been like 9 years ago...

I do not consider them as remakes.

They added the ability to get pokemon from newer generations, sorry, thats not a good remake in my opinion. They SHOULD have stuck with the original 151 for a true remake. Plus they added in too much with the islands imo.

The islands were fine with me. I mean, there wasn't a whole lot to do in RBY, so an extra challenge was cool. But they got me out by not sticking with 150 as well (I don't count Mew since you can't actually get him in the game legit unless you get a promotion).

[hide=]And also, the theme song for the TV series corresponding to RBY was the best :lol:[/hide]

There's already a thread about pokemon use it!

And Pokemon is for little 10 year old asian boys, I have no idea why everyone likes it?

Are you stupid, [developmentally delayed]ed or a mega fail troll?

And Pokemon is for little 10 year old asian boys, I have no idea why everyone likes it?

Are you stupid, [developmentally delayed] or a mega fail troll?

You seem to be the troll here sir. (over 5116 posts in merely 2 years you've been with tiff)

Explain please...

I think pokemon games as we know them should stop. No more hand held games where you have to go out and buy a new cartridge each time Nintendo feels they need a new plot/continent and pokemon. MMO is the way to go I think, and this way thy can add new stuff.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I think pokemon games as we know them should stop. No more hand held games where you have to go out and buy a new cartridge each time Nintendo feels they need a new plot/continent and pokemon. MMO is the way to go I think, and this way thy can add new stuff.

Heh, its wishful thinking, but if they were to release a new one, it should therefore be on PC, PS3 or 360, if they do not go for the MMO idea.

This way, they can add the new content by patching it into the game.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

You seem to be the troll here sir. (over 5116 posts in merely 2 years you've been with tiff)

Explain please...

Being a troll does not mean making a lot of posts. Almost all of Ray's posts have been useful and relevant. He's not a troll because his posts have meaning and aren't just blind statements or insults. Just because it takes you 3 years to get 900 posts doesn't mean someone who makes more posts/day than you is a troll. It's just a number, nothing more. Some people enjoy the forums more and therefore spend more time on it.

I guess you could say your first post was relevant, I would consider it relevant. I've already explained why I didn't put this in the other thread. Also, Pokemon is more 10 year old asian boys? Well ok, that's my cousin, and he's obsessed, so I'll give that to you that 10 year old (but particularly asian because we happen to always be the ones obsessed with video games right?) boys can like Pokemon, but that doesn't mean other people can't. Who are you to say who can like something and who can't? I've been playing Pokemon for a long time, and I still enjoy it. There's a clear distinction, however, between obsession and enjoyment. The littler kids tend to be obsessed, but that's just the nature of little kids. Older people, such as myself, chose to enjoy the game, but not indulge as deeply into it as obsession does.

So once again, who are you to say what I can enjoy and what I can't?

And also, of course you'd have to take a cheap shot at asians too right? Thank you for telling me that, I never knew that my people were so prone to obsession -.-

Explain please...

Trust me, you're a troll.

Thread derailed. Troll successful. Combatants shamed.

While the amount of Legendaries has increased each game, DPP added TOO many.

RBY = 5

GSC = 6

RSE = 10

Okay, I added in the "unobtainables". Maybe 10 is a little high, but it was still reasonably acceptable, since the game added something new.

DPP = 14. 14? Seriously? What the hell were they playing at?

Oh and if someone can say something viable that DPP added to the series, then I shall consume my shoe.

Wait, is that 14 added? How the hell do you get them all? I can only think of maybe 5 you find in the course of the game (those 3 that run around and the cover guys).

I enjoyed RBY, Yellow was my only game (I don't count Red, since I owned it and still do, but the save feature never, ever worked. Ever) but I got all 151 pokemon. Yes, I even got a Mew from my friend. No idea how he got it, probably cheated. But then 5 or 6 years ago I moved, and somehow my game was erased. That sucked, but I started it again-twice, I think. I'm at Cinnabar now, about to face Blaine, but I haven't played in a while. I have, i think, a Kabutops, a Scyther, Pikachu, Butterfree, Charizard, and Haunter. Which is going to suck for the Gym there, but whatever. I also still have my original level 70-something Pikachu and my 100 Mew preserved in Pokemon Stadium. So that's cool.

But yea, those were great. I don't remember much about GSC, really, but RSE were alright, at least you could run there. Dark and Steel were good additions, since dark completed that Ghost-Dark-Psychic triangle of weaknesses, and steel made for some neat matchups and strengthened oldies like Magnemite.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

14 I counted from a list by someone in the "Today..." thread. EDIT::: I miscounted, it was 13.

I'll go double check on a site I haven't used in awhile.

Okay checked. On their Legendary Capture Guide they have 12.

[hide=list]Dialga

Palkia

Uxie

Mesprit

Azelf

Heatran

Regigigas

Giratina

Cresselia

Darkrai

Shaymin

Arceus[/hide]

The difference is that they don't class Rotom as a Legendary, the user who made the list on the thread did however.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

I'm at Cinnabar now, about to face Blaine, but I haven't played in a while. I have, i think, a Kabutops, a Scyther, Pikachu, Butterfree, Charizard, and Haunter. Which is going to suck for the Gym there, but whatever.

Kabutops is water/rock. Fire isn't good against rock or water so Kabutops won't be taking much damage. And since Kabutops can learn water attacks you'll have no real problems. Just thought I'd tell you it's not that hopeless.

I love the 2nd generation. It's when I first got into Pokemon. My first Pokemon game was the Crystal one I got bundled with my Gameboy Color. It was awesome, I felt awesome everytime my pokemon evolved. Later, I traded crystal for gold. It's been a few years, and now the internal battery of my Gold version died, and my game keeps erasing. 2nd gen games released a time counting feature, and had an internal battery used to keep the time going, and these days it's nearly impossible to find a 2nd gen game that actually saves. Trust me guys, go try your old GSC. Your file is GONE.

P.S: I love my Alakazam :)

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

did you get a special pokemon version of gameshark with your crystal pokemon as well? i did. it was awesome.

[hide=WOO TEXT! updated Jan 19, 2009 (last quote)]

And Evil you mad bastard. You are definately bringing TET back up to it's glory. No doubt about it. Keep it going champ.

24,485th to 99 defence on 7-23-08

I always forget you're 20 too. I always think you're 25 or something. o.o

Ya think that I'm insane, Its not sane... its not sane

obligitory devart link: http://evil-mumm-ra.deviantart.com/

Pogonophobia is the fear of beards.

She isn't naked so it's legal.
I'm a porn star.
[/hide]

Ah, the old pokemon games...

To me, the old games were pretty much amazing. Anything from RBY to GSC was awesome. I remember RSE when it came, beat all of those, and the most recent DPP, which after a while became boring. I miss the old games, still have the cartridges probably (somewhere), but nowadays I use gameboy emulation on meh computer since I know I own the cartridges. Now I'm waiting for DS emulation and run it own my soon-to-be-owned computer, which has dual NVIDIA cards (I was going to get ATI w/ crossfire, but I couldn't crossover to ATI...), and extreme processor, etc. Even so DS emulation is weak, which is why I'm getting a DSi with Platinum version and the newer zelda game. Probably get an R4 as well.

I do play the newer games, I think the competition is great, and the WiFi features are amazing, but after a while...It just gets boring playing a game where you can't even travel to other regions. What they need to also do is update the graphics to...maybe like the graphics of those in the Phantom Hourglass, maybe use the 3D capabilities without Cel Shading. I can't stand the flatness. Then, they need to make thr ability to travel to every region, whilst keeping some sort of level cap--maybe slower leveling so that every region can be explored through a grand storyline with Team Rocket, and the other teams. They can add more pokemon, and then that can be the last game. It would take a while to beat, and the new 3D graphics would be cool eye candy. Then they can do Wii things. Unfortunately this is an unrealistic scenario, because like any great series it must be milked to death. Sad, inconvenient truth.

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

I guess I'll be the first to say that RSE was my favorite of the Pokemon generations. It was the first that offered double type starters so it made you think harder of what you want to choose. It was the first to introduce running shoes so getting from place to place didn't take a year without a bike. It also had contests.

RSE was just a huge improvement from RBY and GSC to me. :anxious:

lighviolet1lk4.jpg