When a RS bug was NOT blown out of proportion

sees_all1

Alright - so we all know the famous glitches, along with the new one still fresh in our brains.

Most people will agree that cheaters should be perma-banned, but I'd like to examine past bugs that didn't fly completely out of proportion.

I'll share my bug, and if you have one you can share yours. I'm guessing that there are probably more major bugs than people realize... and all it takes is for one idiot to show a couple friends to start a frenzy.

The bounty hunter bug:

(a little context first) When bounty hunter first came out, it was a completely different atmosphere. Virtually ANYONE could attack ANYONE, and especially in F2P, if your skull was gray or better, you'd have 10-15 one-itemers on you instantly. If someone witnessed your kill, and you were peened, you were as good as dead. If someone decided to attack you, one person would end up dying or leaving, so if you were peened and someone attacked you, you were as good as dead.

The bug: If you were penalized, you could take whatever stuff you wanted, go to the center, wait for 15 seconds hoping that no one attacked you, then log out, and log into a non-bh world. You'd then automatically appear outside of the volcano, with the loot. Then you could bank all of your stuff, hop worlds, and appear in the volcano.

How they fixed the bug: You were no longer allowed to log out of Bounty Hunter while peened.

Please - only post REAL bugs with potential for abuse, that are now FIXED.

I'd like to see that the only reason people abuse bugs is because they doubt there will be consequences, and that there have been many more bugs in the past that weren't popular.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An other bug when BH was a dangerous place was ofcourse µ (or 'mu').

but can you realy blame the players for 'trying out' these bugs?

they souldn't abuse it, but I think it's the fould of jagex for letting these bugs in.

Well,you can't catch em all.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

Glitch to take summons in GE

The ice quest glitch, where you could do an emote before stepping out and walk across the ice like normal. I must admit, I used it after I got annoyed with the maze to finish the quest in 5 minutes :oops:

Also, shouldn't this be in bugs and suggestions?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

When lending first came out people would ask to borrow peoples godswords and it would still have the option of detaching the hilt from the blade. The person borrowing them would keep the hilt whilst the blade was still considered lent. The owner of the godsword would be returned the blade.

Luckily this was fixed in under an hour i believe. Also that I had a godsword at the time and chose not to lend it :thumbsup:

1288581197250-1.jpg

well there was a bug when a player could gain potential by air striking and i kinda did it....lol :P

It wasn't really a giltch but i remember few years ago while doing desert tresure, going to smoking boss, with 100 ready water blasts, owned him with 18 spells (saw the runes afterwards). i done it and teled....and worlds crashed. rollback. i was just before fighting him, this time i only used 17 casts :thumbsup: and then a second rollback -.-

i ended up logging back hour later, when it was all over, and this time it was 21 spells,

EPIC PHAIL, I'M A BAD ROLLBACK ABUSER :x :lol:

want_a_box.png

well there was a bug when a player could gain potential by air striking and i kinda did it....lol :P

It wasn't really a giltch but i remember few years ago while doing desert tresure, going to smoking boss, with 100 ready water blasts, owned him with 18 spells (saw the runes afterwards). i done it and teled....and worlds crashed. rollback. i was just before fighting him, this time i only used 17 casts :thumbsup: and then a second rollback -.-

i ended up logging back hour later, when it was all over, and this time it was 21 spells,

So, what did that post have to do with the topic? None of those were bugs....

2j3qh46.jpg

Glitch to take summons in GE

Sorry for being an ignorant F2Per, but where was the benefit in that (I seriously don't know because I'm not familiar with summoning at all)

The ice quest glitch, where you could do an emote before stepping out and walk across the ice like normal. I must admit, I used it after I got annoyed with the maze to finish the quest in 5 minutes :oops:

Any idea if this is fixed now?

Also, shouldn't this be in bugs and suggestions?

If a mod sees fit to move it, so be it. I thought that because it was previous bugs that are no longer affecting the game, and that there is more discussion value here than an obscure forum like that.

When lending first came out people would ask to borrow peoples godswords and it would still have the option of detaching the hilt from the blade. The person borrowing them would keep the hilt whilst the blade was still considered lent. The owner of the godsword would be returned the blade.

Luckily this was fixed in under an hour i believe. Also that I had a godsword at the time and chose not to lend it :thumbsup:

I agree this one could have been huge... glad no one blabbed about it.

uh, what?

♪♪ And I'm not done

So, what di that post have to do with the topic? None of those were bugs....

wab's posts that i've seen have tended to be pretty pointless.

Anyway, I don't see how they're blowing it out of proportion at all. People used a fault in the system to gain a huge advantage over other players. It's cheating, and at the very least they should have every bit of the money they gained deleted and get a permanent mute. I personally think they should be banned.

To the people who say it's Jagex's fault for letting a bug like this exist, you're just [bleep]ing imbeciles. It's impossible for jagex to test every singe possible combination of actions for glitches in the system before release. It is also impossible to program it completely free of glitches the first time. Any good programmer will tell you it's a process. You create the base code, and then you tweak it to work out the unintended bugs. Believe me with hundreds of thousands of players, it's much more likely for one of them to stumble across a glitch than one of jagex's QA team members.

Edit: Sees, how it worked was people using a beast of burden deposited the maximum amount of money they could into it, then logged out and switched to a F2P pvp world and died repeatedly. the game treated it like the money in their familiar's inventory was being risked even though it wasn't. So they instantly gained a huge amount of potential. with that potential they go back to P2P and pk someone for spectacular drops.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Edit: Sees, how it worked was people using a beast of burden deposited the maximum amount of money they could into it, then logged out and switched to a F2P pvp world and died repeatedly. the game treated it like the money in their familiar's inventory was being risked even though it wasn't. So they instantly gained a huge amount of potential. with that potential they go back to P2P and pk someone for spectacular drops.

Right, I understand that. I'm not sure what Compfreak was referencing in his post, and if its a different bug altogether, or just this current one (I'm looking for bugs that went undetected because people weren't idiots about it and did the correct procedure - find a bug, test it to see if it can be repeated, submit a bug report, continue playing without using the bug, all the while keeping their mouths shut).

♪♪ And I'm not done

I'd like to see that the only reason people abuse bugs is because they doubt there will be consequences, and that there have been many more bugs in the past that weren't popular.

To an extent, yes. Some people do abuse bugs when they know they'll be consequences (6/6/06,) but then it's likely that they are doing it "for the lulz."

th_borningfourmsig-1.png

Currently going for 76 fishing

everyone knows the penguin glitch. one day some guy decided to go penguin hunting. he found a penguin that could be repeatedly spotted for gp and xp. they decided to ban anyone who used it over 250 times, although the abuser did enjoy 99 slayer for a while.

Paragon.png

I haven't tryed it and a loooong time and I never reported it, but when your woodcutting/fletching if you fletched a log in your invy and clicked the tree when you got done fletching the item you had logs in your invy and you could just rinse and repeat :-#

The_Stand.png

Right, I understand that. I'm not sure what Compfreak was referencing in his post, and if its a different bug altogether, or just this current one (I'm looking for bugs that went undetected because people weren't idiots about it and did the correct procedure - find a bug, test it to see if it can be repeated, submit a bug report, continue playing without using the bug, all the while keeping their mouths shut).

My mistake, I misread. There was a glitch awhile back that was letting people bring their summons into the Ge. I'm not sure how it was done either.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

To an extent, yes. Some people do abuse bugs when they know they'll be consequences (6/6/06,) but then it's likely that they are doing it "for the lulz."

In my opinion, 6/6/06 was the one MOST blown out of proportion. Nowadays the rumors are probably that the guy held Andrew at gunpoint until he could hack the game server and PK nothing but P-hats on an invincible account... Note: This is not real.

One not blown out of proportion would probably be... Damn, can't think of one. PKing in the Fight Pit waiting room?

My mistake, I misread. There was a glitch awhile back that was letting people bring their summons into the Ge. I'm not sure how it was done either.

It still works, although interface use is severely limited. I will refrain from discussing how it works in here.

lalalasig2.png

In rs "classic" jungle potion quest when talking to a guy if you were attacked by a spider the spider would start talking the quest :), not sure if this bug was ever fixed in classic

Proud fire cape owner!

How many RS players does it take to change a lightbulb?

5,000. 1 to change the lightbulb, and 4,999 to complain about how it was better before.

cookieaq4.png

Still the lending glitch where an item can be lent to multiple people. Too bad the borrowers cant move, check inventory, or basically do anything except talk if they want to have the item on, still funny to see like 50 blue phats at cw at the same time though =D.

Also, I think Jagex don't care about the familiar at GE glitch since it doesn't exactly do much of anything. Also the person can only follow someone else in GE if im not mistaken and also do nothing except talk.

120dgl.jpg

There was a bug with The Path of Glouphrie that allowed you to complete the quest multiple times and get the experience for doing so each time (although no extra QPs), considering the experience was 20000 Slayer, 5000 Magic, 5000 Thieving, 30000 Strength it was quite a major bug.

To do it you had to go back into the "boss" room in the quest and it'd set the status for that quest to that point, so you'd kill the boss and then hand in the reward.

Fortunately it was fixed quickly and I don't know anyone who abused it, I found out by accident and reported it immediately, I even asked a mod if it was possible for the experience to be removed.

I'd also like to remind people that saying you ABUSED bugs is against the rules and will result in that post being removed and perhaps further action taken against you.

When the Magic Secateurs were released, something went horribly wrong with them. I don't believe too many people ever found out about it, because it never got blown out of proportion.

Essentially, they could 1-hit anything that you were fighting. However, the interesting part was that it didn't always 1-hit everything. Occasionally, there would be regular hits, and then out of no-where you would have an insane hit that you knew could never hit otherwise.

I was messing around fighting the Other-worldly beings, and suddenly I hit a 66 with it (66 was/is the hitpoints of OWB).

I never had the guts to go and fight anything else with them before they were fixed... but I heard rumors that it worked just the same on other players. I imagine the wild was a rather interesting place that day :D

When Bounty Hunter came out, you could have a Bounty Hunter skull outside of bounty hunter. To do this, you had to start the tutorial and as soon the cutscene started you had to press start to birng up the Quickchat menu and press as many times as you could the "?" button. When you got to the point of the tutorial where the skulls are displayed, you could simply click on the ground to make your characted walk and cancel the tutorial cutscene. Then you would appear outside of Bounty Hunter with the skull. You could walk and teleport, but for every click the Quickchat help menu would come up. You were able to close it, but after you clicked to walk it would come up again.

16185_s.gif

When Bounty Hunter came out, you could have a Bounty Hunter skull outside of bounty hunter. To do this, you had to start the tutorial and as soon the cutscene started you had to press start to birng up the Quickchat menu and press as many times as you could the "?" button. When you got to the point of the tutorial where the skulls are displayed, you could simply click on the ground to make your characted walk and cancel the tutorial cutscene. Then you would appear outside of Bounty Hunter with the skull. You could walk and teleport, but for every click the Quickchat help menu would come up. You were able to close it, but after you clicked to walk it would come up again.

I remember when I saw that, it was a semi-"big deal" - lots of people abused this one, but in the end, no one was hurt by it.

♪♪ And I'm not done

game crash bug

f2p summoning familiar pvp dp bug

click reward from theive chest using the game crash bug (once you enter the special character, theiving chests can be theived as fast as you can click) fixed now but only 4 people did it.

glitch in halo 2 where if 16 people stand on Zanzibar bridge it vanishes

gf

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

After the 6/6/6 glitch started going away, I remember someone else found a glitch that enabled PvP in a slayer tower. It was fixed after an hour or two of its discovery, not many knew about it.

When Quickchat was released, instead of sending a message, quickchatting would disconnect you.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Well here is a good one :):):)

Before BH, there was a glitch where the Granite Maul had infinity Specials, and you could attack as fast as you could click. It made for a wonderful day in Edgevill for me, as I watched the whole lot of people on world 18 completely pile their attacks against each other.

Stellactic.gif