How can you guys handle this?

Myweponsg00d

Well, its a pethetic reason in my opinion, but hey.

(My membership runs out on saturday and I won't be renewing it for a while)

ModE.png

QFC: 16-17-50-58686307

Link: http://forum.[Please Use QuickFind Code].ws?16,17,50,58686307

Prehaps a 'Behind the week'? Released on Monday, says whats planned in the next 7 days?

2v8sgvs.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Mokoto, why must you complain that Jagex has not made any "big" changes this year, when they've made countless small ones. A problem in RuneScape almost forever was the glitch when turning around (running). They had to get a new engine to fix it, and that makes the game much more enjoyable for me, rather than a new dwarf quest.

If you paid for membership since you were in middleshcool, you would know how much little gameplay there was back then. Yet you still paid for membership for the "big" updates. It's not like those updates go away, you just use them, and already ready for more. Because Jagex has not released any big updates for a few months is nothing to get worried about.

Do you remember December and January last year? Jagex made arguably the two biggest updates since Rs2. Removal of Wilderness Pking, as well as the removal of Free-Trade. Let's not even go into how many topics there were on RSOF, titled "Leave Rs the way it is!@!#", "We liked the old RSW@@#@". This may be off-topic a bit, but alot of people find there is enough gameplay to play through rather than critizice Jagex for the lack of recent updates.

G-G-G-Goalie

And The Tides Have Turned

2qw3bi9.png

Do you live? Do you die? Do you bleed? For the Fantasy?

Personally I think part of the reason they stopped doing bts was because it was creating false expectations, such as the 150th quest that still needs improvement.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Someone else posted this, and I agree with them. You should consider taking a break. I've had an account with this game since the public beta, but I think I would be in your position if I hadn't taken several breaks since then. When you come back after 8-9 months (or hell, even 2-3), there are always so many new things to do (at least there have been in the past), not to mention you're more interested in grinding skills again, that it takes a while to get bored again.

Besides, then you have all that free time to pursue other interested. You might even find out that you've outgrown the game entirely (although I've thought that more than once).

First of all, thanks to all of the nice replies. I expected to get a lot of "stop whining!!!! omg just quit noob!" but I am delighted to see some actual conversation going. After all, that was my full intent of this post. I do not want to be a whiner, and I am really trying not to be over critical of Jagex. The point of this post was to see how many people are feeling the same way I am: concerned. Through the years, Runescape has always captured my interest. Even through upgrading my video card to play the various versions of Unreal Tournament, even every christmas when I would recieve a top of the line game system, even the month that HALO 3 came out...there was always my RS character. Sure, there were some months that I ended up playing no more than 5-10 hours through the course of the month, and there were times when I played 8 hours a day for a week or two. Even if I wasn't really planning on playing RS, I was still a loyal subscriber because I loved being first in line to check out the new updates, and I just thought that the 5 dollars a month was worth it to know that I had a members account to log in on whenever I wanted.

Now as I am getting older and making more money, the 5 dollars a month somehow seems unjustifiable. The updates so far have just been absolutely lacking in excitement. I also want to make it perfectly clear that when I am speaking of a lack of updates, I mean it exclusivley about the CONTENT of the game (swords, armor, monsters) and not things such as the route finding update. They have made tons of awesome bugfixes and engine updates, but none of that is really anything great as far as gameplay is concerned. Obviously, I played and enjoyed the game for a long time before they fixed route finding, and it was not a reason that drove me away from the game, so them updating it is not something to draw me IN to the game either. Also, last time I checked there is a giant team of developers at Jagex, and they are all delegated to do their own things. To me, it seems like them releasing a strain of "user friendly" updates should not interfere with the quality of game content updates. Everyone on the quests teams should still be working on quests, and a different team working on bug fixes should not really impact the performance of the quest designers.

When they said they were doing an upgrade year, they also said they'd be taking a good look at all the areas and skills that are rarely used and breathing new life into them. Has one update of this caliber come out so far? One could argue that the new distraction/diversion was a nice add to Woodcutting, but these days woodcutting is so popular that I would hardly consider that something that needs life breathed into it. We almost ALMOST had a new agility course to use on the road to 99, but then they said they didn't want to make Ape Atoll obsolete. Is there a reason that a course that came out years ago needs to remain the #1 way to train agility? If they had left the bandos course the way it was...people would have had a new competitive OPTION for training agility quickly. The course was marginally better than ape atoll, and you had to deal with the possibility of failing. This is "upgrade year", and for the 150th quest (which they made such a deal over that they designed a graphical overhaul of the main page to match it) we get an addition to the Agility skill (which I would say most people overlook) but the addition is only for a short level range till a few-year-old course becomes strictly better. What kind of upgrade is this?

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

You summed up my exact thoughts. I'm really dissapointed that jagex seems to have reverted to a 'one update every two weeks' policy. I liked it better when we got one, usually more than one, update a week. The endless list of miniture 'upgrades' don't seem to make up for the excitement of new content.

Development diaries are unexciting, I can defintely agree with that. The problem is they keep stating information we already KNOW in the diaries (such as the fact that some different dungeons are actually right beside eachother). In past diaries it was a load of new content, new ideas, and new developments. The continuation of the dwarf quest was a predictable update, and the dungeon map update was one that had been mentioned several times since the release of an ingame world map.

All these new miniture upgrades to existing content probably saves me about... a few seconds of gameplay a day, because they made some animations/actions faster. Pretty pathetic considering they've worked over four months on upgrades.

The new CEO also needs to get this straight in his head: For rs players, New updates > Graphical improvements . It's always been like that... since the suckiest graphics in RSC.

Oh PS nice job on the excellent thread. I was afraid no one agreed with me on these thoughts.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Do you have 99 in every skill? Have you completed every quest? Do you have 1 of every minigame item?

No.

So why the hell are you whining about not big enought new updates? There are countless hours of "old" content you can work on. If you don't like the old content, then stop paying Jagex for a game you don't like.

quit

Do you have 99 in every skill? Have you completed every quest? Do you have 1 of every minigame item?

No.

So why the hell are you whining about not big enought new updates? There are countless hours of "old" content you can work on. If you don't like the old content, then stop paying Jagex for a game you don't like.

Sorry but I like to play my games, not work on them.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

No.

Yeah, i agree, that point doesn't really work. The thought of getting 99 in every skill doesn't exactly get me excited... and castle wars might be fun but i think i would rather commit suicide before i get all the decorative armours

While I can see where you're coming from, I don't quite agree with you on everything.

For me personally, I don't think my membership fee is going to upgrades. Paying a monthly fee allows me greater access to more content in the game -- Herblore, Summoning, mini-games, etc. I don't feel like we should be getting huge updates on a weekly basis simply because we pay a membership fee.

In the past, the BTS have been rather disappointing. The created so much hype around upcoming content releases, only to have them not live up to our expectations, and to leave a lot of players hanging on to the false hope -- I.E., Soul Wars; the night this update came out, I was so excited to try it out -- it was made to seem like such an awesome game! I couldn't wait! In the end, though, I played one game the night it came out, and haven't played it since -- that's how disappointed in it I was.

I think that Jagex is being a lot more honest now. With the Developement Diaries, they aren't getting our hopes up by promising content they can't deliver. They are giving us an honest inside look into what's going on behind the scenes. Instead of saying, "Hey, you guys, we've got this AMAZING quest coming out that'll put all other quests to shame!," they're saying, "You know, we've started work on a new Dwarf quest, that we think you guys will really like. We've still got a lot of work to do on it. We've only got a few concepts down so far."

And as a quick sidebar to that, you have to consider: maybe they haven't released concept art or sketches yet because they don't have any concept art or sketches yet? Maybe nothing terribly exciting IS going on behind the scenes, and that's why the only thing they have us looking forward to is dungeon maps.

I've been playing Runescape for a bit over eight years now, but it is still my favorite game -- I don't care what platform games come out, what new game I picked up at the game store the other day -- Runescape will always be my favorite. The current content is what keeps me going. I love logging in and walking around aimlessly, listening to other people chatting, working on various skills, poking my head into my favored Clan Chat, etc.

In the past, though, whenever I have found myself getting bored with the game, I cancel my membership and take a month or so break from it. That way, I'll come back to the game with a fresh pair of eyes, and I won't be so tired from playing it all of the time -- even in the span of a month, a lot of subtle changes can be made to the game that'll make your experience a lot more fun, and renew your love of the game.

Best of luck!

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

No.

If you consider a game work you shouldn't be playing it. Move on or stop complaining, this isn't rants.

quit

On the update side, I'd have to agree. Hasn't been anything big since WGS, except Soul Wars, but that's currently PC with better rewards and less effort, and even if you play it, flawed. :wall: .

I still have a lot I would want to do though. A few skills I would want to train if I had money (Construction), or a longer attention span (Attack, Fishing). Construction alone would keep me in the game if it wasn't a money sink :lol: .

No.

If you consider a game work you shouldn't be playing it. Move on or stop complaining, this isn't rants.

The whole point of runescape is work/grind, so yeah, stop playing MMORPGS if you don't find it fun or play some mini games

yes.png

Well, I haven't been able to resist the urge of quitting. I have quit many times and returned just as many. I've been playing for about 7 years now and when I first started, I continued to play for about 4 years. I loved how the game wasn't revolved around skilling and being the best. I had some really good friends whom I met over Runescape and played with for about 2 years since my start. They grew up, did their own thing and left. I continued on and drank tons of beer, wasting my days worth of GP that I got from killing guards and drank beer all day. Then it changed, and I wanted to be a high level. So for the past year or so is when I actually started to skill and get good at the game.

I guess the moral of the story is that the reason why so many people quit is because they lost the point of the game. Jagex didn't intend the game to be a pure skilling and noob-callers turf. But in the favor of the people who wanted change, Rs2 was born. I was fine with Rs1 and I favored it more. I had x10 more fun in Rs1 than Rs2. But then again, I was only like 8 and I didn't really know "fun". Most people get tired of doing the same thing over and over for hours. That's what I think the reason for most of the people quitting is.

And back on topic. They shouldn't have this many frequent updates. Most good games require tons of time and effort into making a quest. Runescape has lost its touch IMO and they need to work on quality, not quantity. There is only a handful of people who's finished most quests and I think Jagex needs to make the quests better and things. And for the other miscellaneous updates, Jagex should work on making them top-notch. Runescape is boring as it is for many people, so they should work on the quality of their updates. I think it should take them a couple weeks to actually balance these things out. They are being so hasty and in doing so, may imbalance things and get tons of complaints. Lot's of people thought and still think godswords are OP and in my opinion they are. If a weapon can do more than 3/4's of someone's hp, something is wrong. Also the d claws are pretty OP in my opinion as well. I was doing Barrows the other day, and I saw a guy run into TORAG's base. (Remember his armour is supposed to be the best of barrows, defense wise). He ran into Torag's tomb. Opened it. Two specs, and he was down. I literally dropped my mouth and was like, "WTF?!". I didn't really know what to say to that kind of power.

But yeah.....

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

No.

The whole point of runescape is work/grind, so yeah, stop playing MMORPGS if you don't find it fun or play some mini games

And I disagree. The whole point of MMORPG's is not to grind. The point is to make interactions with other players, make friends, chat, have fun. It seems your priorities on Runescape may be a little off.

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

No.

I consider your version of the game to be work. My objective is not to max out 99 skills for no reason, and train things for huge amounts of time when I'm not enjoying it. My objective in this game has always been to do what I see fit at any given time, and to constantly look forward to a new and exciting gaming experience. They have provided this at a fairly steady rate over the past few years, and over the past year especially. CB, summoning, Stealing Creation tools...just to name a few. Each bringing new useful and exciting content to the game. The entire reason I play an MMO is to have a game that will never get old.

Myweponsgood.gif

well in my time of playing (3 years and some odd months) i have never got a 99 but i have quit over 1 year of it but one thing i enjoy about the game now is pking so just find something u like and just dont overdo it to a part where ull get board

A slaYer KiD.png

Effigies: 5

draconic visage: 1

well i know for me personally it is hard for me to go for 2 months grinding away at one thing. and, up untill this year, updates were when i got little breaks to do something new, exciting, and rewarding. i personally dont care if their are bugs. as long as the bug doesn't do something like crash the blood rune market or something big i'm okay. who gives a damn if some guy got to walk through part of a wall to skip 5 min in a quest. i will still play it the same way and it doesn't affect me. the major thing that bugs me is when they postpone for graphic glitches, i played rs for a year before hq! i don't care about graphics!!!

Y_Z.png

Almost a quarter into the year.. dang time goes fast.

When I first read the BTS for 2009, I was excited for the upgrade year. But so far, I haven't been pleased. These upgrades are useful, but they are also small & being released too slowly. I understand that that programming & all the other work put into it is time consuming, but this year has been a joke compared to others.

I still enjoy the game, but unless Jagex keeps pouring more fun into the game, I might relinquish the supply...

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

No.

I consider your version of the game to be work. My objective is not to max out 99 skills for no reason, and train things for huge amounts of time when I'm not enjoying it. My objective in this game has always been to do what I see fit at any given time, and to constantly look forward to a new and exciting gaming experience. They have provided this at a fairly steady rate over the past few years, and over the past year especially. CB, summoning, Stealing Creation tools...just to name a few. Each bringing new useful and exciting content to the game. The entire reason I play an MMO is to have a game that will never get old.

I don't play the game to grind/level up either, but to actually get the most out of it you need to work/grind to some degree. I've been playing for 5+ years and those are my stats V, thing is all the fun things take a amount of grinding like GWD or good summons and what not compared to non-MMORPGS where you can actually enjoy everything off the get go. That's what I meant

yes.png

" We want to know that somebody, right now, is modeling the dragon pickaxe."

Mining is easy enough, we don't need a dragon pickaxe.

Bonus_Track.png

I feel pretty stupid. I just realized that 4 months = 33% of the year, not a quarter like I had said in the OP. A quarter of the year is already GONE...(3 months) I get my 4s and 3s (and multiplying them to get 12) confused sometimes....? Lol <3:

It is good to hear such things as "holy cabbage! you read my freakin mind!" because this leads me to believe that tons of players are actually feeling similar things, but have been afraid to come out and say it for fear of being deemed a "complainer". :D

All this being said...do you guys have faith in Jagex? Do you think that things are going to go back to normal soon? Do you think we are going to get rushed with tons of giant updates all at one time? I have watched this game evolve from its earliest stages into a hugely successful game that has begun to be recognized among "real" mmorpg's. It is both disappointing and saddening to feel that this game isn't receiving as much love and attention that it once was (from the dev's).

Myweponsgood.gif