0.999...=1 and why people believe it is false.

tryto

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 1/3 is continually going on, infinitely as 0.333... we haven't discovered the point where it equates to being that 1/3 gives a complete number, simply because we either don't know how, or we do not have the time to discover it.

If you tried to write infinity as a number, not a symbol, then it is forever ongoing, you never stop. That is the idea behind 0.333...

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Well, 1/3 is continually going on, infinitely as 0.333... we haven't discovered the point where it equates to being that 1/3 gives a complete number, simply because we either don't know how, or we do not have the time to discover it.

If you tried to write infinity as a number, not a symbol, then it is forever ongoing, you never stop. That is the idea behind 0.333...

Thats my point lol :lol:

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Shout to LowFatMilk for the sig! Doin your body and sig good :lol:

I thought you're point was that there was no way it could equate to that.

Must have read it wrong, my apologies. But yeah, I agree with you. However, its easier just to agree with people on that. I'm more likely to fail Higher Maths if I don't accept this as a rule, than if I do. Its a trivial matter that is debated too much. Its more convient to put 1/3 as 0.333 when needed, cause hell, you're answer is going to be close enough to the real thing.

I mean, 1/3 of 6 is 2. 6*0.333 is 1.998. ITs a pretty damn close answer that most people will just write as 2, depending on how you need to do it.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

The way I see this problem is:

1/3=0.333....

(1/3)*(3/1)= 3/3= 1

WHICH IS THE SAME AS

0.333....*3=0.999....= 1

There is this one REALLY annoying kid in my grade that normally is very rational, but he just can't bring himself to believe this. It gets annoying when you are right and everyone else thinks you are wrong.

I'm an INTJ.

Wait...Cynic...

Are you a girl?

Just a thought but 1/3 does not exactly equal .333...

What do you mean? 0.333... and 1/3 are exactly the same number. I think the most simple way to prove it would be 0.333...=3/9=1/3.

Idk if I read this correctly, but the fact that 0.333... is the same number as 1/3 has nothing to do with not having time or not knowing how to discover something about the number. All we need to know is that 0.333... has 0 in the integral part and an infinity of 3's in the fractional part of the number.

Its more convient to put 1/3 as 0.333 when needed, cause hell, you're answer is going to be close enough to the real thing.

I mean, 1/3 of 6 is 2. 6*0.333 is 1.998. ITs a pretty damn close answer that most people will just write as 2, depending on how you need to do it.

How I was taught to deal with repeating decimals: A common way to represent a repeating decimal is a line or dot over the repeating sequence of numbers, for example c0e792ff2b90c74b28bedf53da2a1454.png or 0.(9), so you don't have to use 0.333 to represent 1/3. Outside of mathematics in for example natural sciences, however, it's not a good idea to use any representation that would refer to an infinite accuracy. So a car moving at 120km/h in a physics calculation is a car moving at 33.333m/s even though 120/3.6=33.333...

Rao.png

Now to convince everyone that 1/0 =/= infinity.

Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

But seriously, I dare you to slice a pizza into 0 pieces.(And eating it doesn't count)

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

But seriously, I dare you to slice a pizza into 0 pieces.(And eating it doesn't count)

1/0 = infinity

thus

infinity x 0 = 1

We also know 2 x 0 = 0

So

infinity x 0 x 2 = 1

(infinity x 0) x 2 = 1

(1) x 2 = 1

2 = 1

Chuck Norris can also transform numbers.

1/0 = infinity

thus

infinity x 0 = 1

We also know 2 x 0 = 0

So

infinity x 0 x 2 = 1

(infinity x 0) x 2 = 1

(1) x 2 = 1

2 = 1

You added in brackets to make 2 = 1.

infinty*0*2 = 1

infinity*(0*2) = 1

infinity*(0) = 1

See? I ended up back where I wanted to. Just like how you ended where you wanted to.

However, you cannot combine them, as they do not equate the the same originally.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

What do you mean? 0.333... and 1/3 are exactly the same number. I think the most simple way to prove it would be 0.333...=3/9=1/3.

That doesn't prove it. It just begs a new question: Does 0.333... = 3/9?

1/0 = infinity

thus

infinity x 0 = 1

We also know 2 x 0 = 0

So

infinity x 0 x 2 = 1

(infinity x 0) x 2 = 1

(1) x 2 = 1

2 = 1

Prove that 1/0 = infinity.

And anything x 0 = 0. Infinity times 0 would equal 0.

So(even though it would still be mathematically incorrect because 1/0 =/= infinity(IMO, because I have no logical reason to believe this yet)), you have idioticly tried to say that this equation can come to 2=1 instead of 0=1. Nice one.

Also, division by 0 is a concept that I can't understand. Divide something into 0 parts? You can't.

[hide=OH NO.]phpw9jvl0pm.jpg[/hide]

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Just thought of something..

can anyone here think of a number between 0.999..(repeating) and 1?

:)

there is none. thats the point

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Infinity doesn't end, it is not a tangible answer.

Therefore, I say you can just keep on throwing on another 9. It'll never end anyway since you always get a new digit.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Infinity doesn't end, it is not a tangible answer.

Therefore, I say you can just keep on throwing on another 9.

Well, you can't add another 9 to the end of a decimal number going to infinity...That's why it's infinity #-o

hiccup.png

Yes, but infinity is not a real number anyway.

Its continually ongoing, hence you can always add another 9.

So with that reasoning,

0.9999... < 0.9999...9 < 1

The three dots represent the infinite number of nines, and the extra 9 'after' the infinite number of nines represented by "..." is the extra 9 you claim to have added.

But you do realize, those two first numbers on the left are the same number, right?

If you finally figured it out, you'd find

0.9999... < 1 is not possible because there is simply no number that separates them. They are equal.

hiccup.png

That's the problem with your reasoning. 0,9... does not mean you have 0,9 then 0,99 and then 0,999 and so on. It means there is already a string of nines of infinite length, and the ellipses indicate it already being infinite. It's a number, not a process. There is no last 9 "at infinity", so you can't simply add another digit to it.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

That's the problem with your reasoning. 0,9... does not mean you have 0,9 then 0,99 and then 0,999 and so on. It means there is already a string of nines of infinite length, and the ellipses indicate it already being infinite. It's a number, not a process. There is no last 9 "at infinity", so you can't simply add another digit to it.

But it can't exactly end either. So the reasoning there is no number between makes little sense.

Because surely, you'd need an end to make such an assumption.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

0.9999...... is reccuring, unless it is STATED there is an endpoint (or there is no dot above the end number - one which indicate it is infinitely reccuring) then to graph this point you would not draw a dot at point 1. It's asymptotic :)

Think of a frog hopping a pond. If the pond is one metre wide and the frog hopes 0.5 metres, then 0.25 metres, then 0.125 metres etc etc, it will theoretically NEVER reach the other side of the pond.

Look guys... I absolutely must be a mass baby-seal murderer!

[hide=]

1/0 = infinity

thus

infinity x 0 = 1

We also know 2 x 0 = 0

So

infinity x 0 x 2 = 1

(infinity x 0) x 2 = 1

(1) x 2 = 1

2 = 1

Prove that 1/0 = infinity.

And anything x 0 = 0. Infinity times 0 would equal 0.

So(even though it would still be mathematically incorrect because 1/0 =/= infinity(IMO, because I have no logical reason to believe this yet)), you have idioticly tried to say that this equation can come to 2=1 instead of 0=1. Nice one.

Also, division by 0 is a concept that I can't understand. Divide something into 0 parts? You can't.

[hide=OH NO.]phpw9jvl0pm.jpg[/hide]

Here, have a good read.

Q: How many mathematicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: 0.999999.

>_>

also, does it really matter? personally i take the =1 side, but if i was challenged on it i wouldnt bother defending it because i honestly see no point

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

10/9.

Please don't continue.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.