A question to UK people about colleges

RSBDavid

One way that a UK uni would save you money (and time) is that it is standard to get a degree in 3 years rather than America's 4.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

will he not be able to be a uk student and just pay the 3k or whatever seeing as he was born here?

I'm pretty sure you have to have be a citizen of, and have being resident in an EU country for a certain number of years beforehand to pay home fees.

I take it you mean university as opposed to college, - as college is free and funded by our lovely government.

I'm only in college at the moment, and haven't looked much into uni's - but i can tell you the price is all very similar.

My friend made the mistake of going to Swansea (in Wales) His course is going great and everything but the nightlife and social life is crap, apparently there are basically no nightclubs or decent bars.

- So that is something to take into consideration.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Kingjoe, they're funded for now. :P

Once the Conservatives get in - and I'm sure they will, public spending will significantly decrease, and many students will have to pay for their education.

Keep Labour in tbh! ;) :thumbup:

Once the Conservatives get in - and I'm sure they will, public spending will significantly decrease, and many students will have to pay for their education.

It was labour who brought in university tuition fees, and it would be political suicide for the conservatives to even consider stopping funding post-16 education (colleges/ 6th forms), nevermind make it their policy. But let's not derail this thread into one about politics

Four years ago, I'd agree but by the time there is another general election I won't be a student any more. I say they should bump up tuitions fees for next year :P .

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

My friend made the mistake of going to Swansea (in Wales) His course is going great and everything but the nightlife and social life is crap, apparently there are basically no nightclubs or decent bars.

I've heard the opposite, just that Swansea is a bit of a dump.

Turns out you have to have been living in the UK for 3 years before you can gain any financial support from the government for University studies. At least that's what I understood when I applied for student finance for my second year.

Here's a link to information about being an international student in the UK: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/fees_s ... upport.php

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I've heard the opposite, just that Swansea is a bit of a dump.

Turns out you have to have been living in the UK for 3 years before you can gain any financial support from the government for University studies. At least that's what I understood when I applied for student finance for my second year.

Here's a link to information about being an international student in the UK: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/fees_s ... upport.php

There are ways around it. I just moved and I got a full ride from the United States government and military. I was promised this money considering that I complete the education I stated and went back to the United States to work for the Army for a minimum of 15 years. I pretty much have my life planned out until I'm 55.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Four years ago, I'd agree but by the time there is another general election I won't be a student any more. I say they should bump up tuitions fees for next year :P .

Screw you :evil:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Tuition here goes up every single year, it really sucks. I might be paying up to a thousand dollars a semester more by the time I'm going unless a bill to freeze tuition for two or three years passes in Texas.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

WOOOO! Apparently Jagex is a supporter or something of the University of Cambridge's Computer Science lab thingy ma-bob and accord to the Q and A I looked up from the start of this year - they recruit people often leaving University. MMG mentioned Science and Maths backgrounds though which is a bit of a bugger because I don't do either of them now at A Level. But thats not going to put me off. I WILL work for Jagex one day... I swear it! It is my destiny! <3:

Edit: They also have an Industrial Placement Scheme for degree students <3:

I was looking up computer science courses though and they're £3229 or something for UK students or £14,000 for International students (at Manchester uni at least) #-o

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

WOOOO! Apparently Jagex is a supporter or something of the University of Cambridge's Computer Science lab thingy ma-bob and accord to the Q and A I looked up from the start of this year - they recruit people often leaving University. MMG mentioned Science and Maths backgrounds though which is a bit of a bugger because I don't do either of them now at A Level. But thats not going to put me off. I WILL work for Jagex one day... I swear it! It is my destiny! <3:

I was looking up computer science courses though and they're £3229 or something for UK students or £14,000 for International students (at Manchester uni at least) #-o

Money, in my opinion, should never be a factor that limits your education. The money is out there, you just have to look. I'm sure you could contact Jagex, say that you will work for X amount of years if they pay for Y amount of cash/years. Heck, I know in the U.S. you can get a scholarship just for being left handed or a minority, even being a vegetarian qualifies you. Food companies, drug companies, car manufacturers also give them out; I got one from Ford and Tylenol. Being in the computer industry is a very profitable and highly sought job market. Again, don't let money be the biggest concern when you look for schools.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

I can't afford university as it stands. I would never be able to pay back that student loan, so I'm not going.

The amount of money you earn extra in your lifetime by having a degree is much higher than the amount of debt accrued by going to university.

What, seriously? I was hoping to do a Chemical Engineering Degree there, and I'm doing Physics, Maths and Chemistry A level. :D Uh, if I get in. Which is unlikely. :oops:

~ W ~

sigzi.png

What, seriously? I was hoping to do a Chemical Engineering Degree there, and I'm doing Physics, Maths and Chemistry A level. :D Uh, if I get in. Which is unlikely. :oops:

It's more of a dream than a chance, but I'd love to be able to go there. But yeah! MMG said that a maths and science background is good, sucks for me but I could... clean or something. Clean the holy floors of Jagex?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg