A question to UK people about colleges

RSBDavid

Hello, I am a High school senior. I originally planned to go to college in Indiana since that is where I live. I found out two days ago we are moving to Kentucky. I won't be getting my scholarship now. I am interested in colleges in the United Kingdom because I have family whom live in that region of the world, London, England to be exact. I am planning to get a degree in computer science for starters then get one in graphical design. So if you know of any good, affordable colleges, can you post about them here?

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Probably giving more unwanted advice, but ... You might as well just stay in Indiana. Unless you live a full year in another state, tuition shoots up seriously [bleep]ing high. For some places it can go up ten grand.

And unless you're in a program, it'll either cost a whole lot or you'll have to move to go to school in the UK. Can you even go to school if you aren't a citizen of the country and you're not on any special program?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Probably giving more unwanted advice, but ... You might as well just stay in Indiana. Unless you live a full year in another state, tuition shoots up seriously [bleep] high. For some places it can go up ten grand.

And unless you're in a program, it'll either cost a whole lot or you'll have to move to go to school in the UK. Can you even go to school if you aren't a citizen of the country and you're not on any special program?

If the school isn't too far I would live with my uncle in London. I would have around 7 Months living time before college starts. I was born 5 miles north of London..in a car. :-#

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

That's cool. I would definitely go to the UK if you could find a good college. It would get you out of the US for a while and allow you to enjoy another country. :thumbup:

The only problem with that is the moving expenses and the fact that it may be hard to bring your stuff.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

They are called universities in the UK.

You'd be considered an "international student" so you'd have to pay £10000+ tuition fees per year and I don't think you'd be able to get a student loan, so if you are looking for something "affordable" you may be dissapointed :\.

You'd be considered an "international student" so you'd have to pay £10000+ tuition fees per year and I don't think you'd be able to get a student loan, so if you are looking for something "affordable" you may be dissapointed :\.

Couldn't this guy technically apply for citizenship and no longer be an "international student?" Would probably be a pain in the [wagon] because I'm not sure how the UK does citizenship, but it beats paying 10,000 pound in tuition.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Couldn't this guy technically apply for citizenship and no longer be an "international student?" Would probably be a pain in the [wagon] because I'm not sure how the UK does citizenship, but it beats paying 10,000 pound in tuition.

Takes years and is difficult

In order to get a loan to pay tuition fees etc so have to have been living in the UK for a certain amount of years (I think it is 5, but I don't remember) and that, combined with the cost of living would make it expensive. Also if you went to a University near London it would be even more expensive.

Personally I think that unless you find a way to get funding for it then it isn't worth the expense.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Yeah, I remember trying to do all the student finance stuff recently and there were several questions to make sure that you've been a UK resident/citizen for several years before they give you a loan. Doubt it's worth it in all honesty.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

As far as I know, which I could be wrong. You can't just "apply" to be a citizen of the Uk, you must live their for 5 years under a student visa / working visa while having a visa for the entire period or renewing it before it runs out. Then you can apply for citizenship which can still be denied by the Uk government at their discretion.

For student loans, as far as I'm aware you must have been a student at an school in the Uk for a minimum of 7 years.

International student fee's are incredibly high, a lot higher than standard American fees AFAIK. It's the same here in Ireland, international student fee's are so high that it's actually free for Irish students, the international fee's are so high they actually pay enough to cover the entire college's expenses.

Well prices vary, in England (and I think Wales as well) the cost of university can be a lot higher than in Scotland. Up here in Scotland the cost is a lot lower and the quality is just as high which is why we get a lot of English students up here along with a lot of overseas students. This year, I would have had to pay just £1250 in tuition fees but as I'm Scottish they get paid for me. I'm not entirely sure about the cost for overseas students but I think it is the same. The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) should be able to give you some good advice.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Someone already mentioned Scottish schools, but I'd like to say something else about them. I think they're much closer to the American University system than English, as well as more accepting to foreign students. This could be wrong, I'm going off what my school's counselor once told me.

I think you should just go to school in the states, and move to England after if you still want to. It would be much cheaper on your family.

snowsigyy7.png

There are many (colleges, Universities) that do go into that area of expertise you are thinking of. London has many Universities... I think Sotuhbank (correct me if I'm wrong) but, you can get into it with decent grades and offer a range of useful courses... Although, you should do your own research...

Luck be a Lady

I know this is slightly off the point but I'm going to apply to Cambridge this year since it's the closest uni to my dear beloved Jagex <3:

I don't really know much about international students and university though since I'm just looking into them myself. London universities will cost more than ones up north though as things generally cost more down there too.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I know this is slightly off the point but I'm going to apply to Cambridge this year since it's the closest uni to my dear beloved Jagex <3:

I don't really know much about international students and university though since I'm just looking into them myself. London universities will cost more than ones up north though as things generally cost more down there too.

Good luck, I'm going to try for Cambridge next year, although I doubt I'll get in. It's better than Oxford (just to annoy daniels) ;) .

Universities are expensive, especially ones in London, although it's possible to get grants and loans and scholarships etc., although I don't know enough about them to give you any proper information.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Go to Oxford

If only it was that simple. #-o

I'd certainly recommend you studying in the UK if possible, getting a loan wont be easy but not impossible. I wish you the best of luck! ::'

Well prices vary, in England (and I think Wales as well) the cost of university can be a lot higher than in Scotland. Up here in Scotland the cost is a lot lower and the quality is just as high which is why we get a lot of English students up here along with a lot of overseas students. This year, I would have had to pay just £1250 in tuition fees but as I'm Scottish they get paid for me. I'm not entirely sure about the cost for overseas students but I think it is the same. The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) should be able to give you some good advice.

The tuition fees for international students are probably still around £10000pa in Scotland - it's just EU/Scottish students it's free for and non-Scottish UK students it's ~£1500 pa for (as opposed to ~£3000 pa in England for Home/EU students)

Not London. If you did that, you'd be better off staying in Indiana. Uni's outside of London tend to be less expensive - personally I would reccomend the University of Western England, or Bournemouth. The cost will still be high for a foreign student though.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Ah, parents made me have another "University Chat". Although I'm only just finishing up my GCSEs they and the school think I am very capable of getting into Oxbrdige. I'm quite happy to go where-ever, I just want to get my education over and done with (a good education mind that). And start living... (A sad day that will be).

I'm going to to the IB for 6th form (years 12 and 13). Wish me luck haha!

Luck be a Lady

See you there. <3:
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Don't put that on your personal statement/reference.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Don't put that on your personal statement/reference.

Good advice ;) 'I often partake in collaborative games known as MMORPGs. My most frequented of which is Runescape, created by a company that so just happens to have it's headquarters near your university. I have documented my plans to kidnap and marry Mark Gerhard...' How about that?

See you there. <3:

Do you live/go there? If so awesome :o

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].