Breakfast and healthy life

gago

Recently i've started trying to live healthily as i think i am a bit overweight and i'm not very happy with my body. I started walking a lot, doing some exercises, eventually i figured out i should also be more careful with food and so i almost stopped eating junk food(which was usually on my daily menu), drastically lowered the input of fat food, started using less sugar(+ using brown as much as possible), decreased input of salt - i've used to add A LOT of salt everywhere. and i really mean a lot -. I also eat more fruit now, at least apples and bananas + i drink lemonade once a day. I have problems with vegetables, as i don't eat anything except for potatoes, onion(not raw) and carrot(raw)...

One of the biggest decisions i made was to stop smoking. Last sunday i decided that i've smoked the last cigarette and i haven't smoked since. That's a week now and i'm doing pretty good. I've tried to quit smoking before, but i've failed everytime.. This time i think i can actually make it, because my will is stronger now.

I'm happy with my decision and i actually feel a lot better now. Food actually does affect your feeling. What about you? Do you eat healthily? Do you care about your body, about your health? Howmany meals do you have during the day and how big are they? After what hour in the evening you don't eat anymore? ...

And the second point of my topic: breakfast. In my oppinion, the most important meal of the day. When i wake up, i must eat something or i'm feeling weak all day. It doesn't matter when i must leave home, i always set the timer early enough to eat something before i go and possibly drink a cup of coffee after breakfast. Also i don't eat fast food or something fat. Usually cereals or something similarly light.

What is your oppinion? =]

chat.png

"Happines only real when shared."

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gag0.png[/hide]

Well, I am happy when I eat, so yes, it affects my feeling. I do not eat healthy at all, I eat way too much candy, junkfood and such. I don't really care about my body and my health and just eat what I want. And I'm not even fat :) I eat breakfast, lunch (unless my breakfast is my lunch) and dinner, and alot inbetween those. I stop eating when I go to bed, so at about midnight.

And yes, breakfast is very important. If I didn't eat breakfast, I would eat even more junkfood and such.

2j3qh46.jpg

I used to eat a lot of junk food and i didn't care about it. But when i realised it's making me fat, i've just stopped :D Great metabolism or do you do sports a lot?

My meals:

- breakfast: something light, like cereals, fruit, egg, tuna...

- forenoon snack(if i wake up early enough, otherwise snack = breakfast): fruit, a glass of milk, maybe a cookie, a small chocolate bar..

- lunch: varies a lot. if i'm at home, i eat a bit more than if i'm in the capital(during the week)..

- afternoon snack: fruit, a glass of milk, maybe a cookie, a small chocolate bar..

- dinner: mostly a piece of bread with "white ham" <- chicken

I try to make my meals big enough to make me sated, but small enough that i don't overeat.

.^^

chat.png

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

Gag0.png[/hide]

I eat what is in my house really, which is what my mom buys.

We don't eat a lot of junk food, usually veggies along with meat and potatoes (typically Dutch) and I excercise a good bit. Soccer 3 times a week, would do it more often but there won't be a trainer then, I work 3 times a week, usually 2 hours and swimming on friday. Besides that I also go to school every day on my bike (like 10 minutes but every bit counts).

Kudos to you for making such drastical changes in your life, there's a lot of people who'd want that but don't have the willpower to keep it up. Especially quitting smoking helps a lot.

Just keep eating enough of the green stuff, exercise a lot and have fun. I only play soccer cause I really like it so finding a sport which you enjoy helps a lot. :)

I guess I have good metabolism, as I only play football 3 times a week. Oh wait, I go to school by bike, which is 22km a day. I guess that helps a bit too.

Till you hit maturity (lets say mid twenties), and get increasingly fat. It's quite common that young people don't get that fat easily, while they do when they get older. Additionally, eating junk food is generally bad for your body, irregardless if you become obese or not. Colon cancer, artherosclerosis, myocardial infarct, just a few examples of what might happen if you eat a lot of junk food.

Diseases derived from a bad eating pattern arise later in life. I suggest you take better care of your body to prevent nasty diseases when you're older.

The food my mom cooks is generally healthy; not much fat, always with vegetables and we never eat the same dish twice in a week. I try to follow the same philosphy when I cook myself. I'm not a big fan of sweet things like candy or cookies, so I basically never eat that. I'd say the only time I eat unhealthy food is when I drink alcohol (chips, nuts), and when I'm going out (hamburgers, fries, steak, etc.).

I've started lifting weights again which has a very noticeable effect on my mood. I feel happier, and much more "alert" and, I guess, energetic.

2009rb9.jpg

Doing something good for your body seems to fill you with energy =]

Also alcohol is very caloric, especially beer, wine and liqueurs.. In general i don't drink much alcohol, except on parties. It's a good thing that i don't like beer and wine :D

Too bad i don't eat many vegetables. I'm trying to "force" myself to try at least something like green pepper, but i haven't made any progress so far. At least i'm trying, and that is better than nothing =D

chat.png

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

Gag0.png[/hide]

I guess I have good metabolism, as I only play football 3 times a week. Oh wait, I go to school by bike, which is 22km a day. I guess that helps a bit too.

Till you hit maturity (lets say mid twenties), and get increasingly fat. It's quite common that young people don't get that fat easily, while they do when they get older. Additionally, eating junk food is generally bad for your body, irregardless if you become obese or not. Colon cancer, artherosclerosis, myocardial infarct, just a few examples of what might happen if you eat a lot of junk food.

Diseases derived from a bad eating pattern arise later in life. I suggest you take better care of your body to prevent nasty diseases when you're older.

I am aware of that, but I just enjoy it while I can.

2j3qh46.jpg

For breakfast have boiled eggs and some oats, fruit for before noon, tuna and salad sandwich for lunch. Little or no mayo, no cheese, wholemeal bread, tuna that's been kept in water rather than oil. Fruit, maybe some carrot sticks, unsalted nuts in the afternoon. Salad at dinner with little or no dressing (if you have even a smidgen of dressing, it's probably going to be more calories than the whole salad.) Easy on the carbs, skinless chicken/fish with vegies maybe.

Drink plenty of water, and build muscle even if you just do push ups. Get enough sleep too.

"A cookie or small chocolate bar" is a bad idea, so is a glass of milk unless it's low fat. Best to try and have only a little dairy, you can get your calcium from things like almonds and salmon.

Losing weight is as simple as eating less calories than you burn - find out your base metabolic rate and go from there.

I don't eat chocolate everyday. Maybe once or twice per week. Dark one(with 70% cocoa) is pretty healthy anyways =P

I don't believe in low fat milk. I drink a glass a day rather than eating salmon/almonds everyday. I don't want to be extreme, i just want to shape my body a bit and losing some weight without eliminating all the food i like. I extracted all those which are really unhealthy =]

By the way, what do you people think about those "pills" which you put into a glass of water and they sparkle and melt(with vitamins, iron...)? I drink maybe one per week, but i'm not really sure if it's healthy to drink that.

chat.png

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

Gag0.png[/hide]

I don't eat chocolate everyday. Maybe once or twice per week. Dark one(with 70% cocoa) is pretty healthy anyways =P

I don't believe in low fat milk. I drink a glass a day rather than eating salmon/almonds everyday. I don't want to be extreme, i just want to shape my body a bit and losing some weight without eliminating all the food i like. I extracted all those which are really unhealthy =]

By the way, what do you people think about those "pills" which you put into a glass of water and they sparkle and melt(with vitamins, iron...)? I drink maybe one per week, but i'm not really sure if it's healthy to drink that.

Pills are supplementary. No replacement for a normal meal.

Yes, i drink them as a supplement, but i'm not sure if they are healthy enough to drink them every day.

And to back up the dark chocolate statement: i've read several articles, scientific and non-scientific, about it being healthy and i believe that. In moderate amounts tho.

Article from WebMD(http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030827 ... -chocolate):

[hide=Dark Chocolate Is Healthy Chocolate]Dark Chocolate Lowers Blood Pressure

Dark chocolate -- not white chocolate -- lowers high blood pressure, say Dirk Taubert, MD, PhD, and colleagues at the University of Cologne, Germany. Their report appears in the Aug. 27 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

But that's no license to go on a chocolate binge. Eating more dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure -- if you've reached a certain age and have mild high blood pressure, say the researchers. But you have to balance the extra calories by eating less of other things.

Antioxidants in Dark Chocolate

Dark chocolate -- but not milk chocolate or dark chocolate eaten with milk -- is a potent antioxidant, report Mauro Serafini, PhD, of Italy's National Institute for Food and Nutrition Research in Rome, and colleagues. Their report appears in the Aug. 28 issue of Nature. Antioxidants gobble up free radicals, destructive molecules that are implicated in heart disease and other ailments.

"Our findings indicate that milk may interfere with the absorption of antioxidants from chocolate ... and may therefore negate the potential health benefits that can be derived from eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate."

Translation: Say "Dark, please," when ordering at the chocolate counter. Don't even think of washing it down with milk. And if health is your excuse for eating chocolate, remember the word "moderate" as you nibble.

The Studies

Taubert's team signed up six men and seven women aged 55-64. All had just been diagnosed with mild high blood pressure -- on average, systolic blood pressure (the top number) of 153 and diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) of 84.

Every day for two weeks, they ate a 100-gram candy bar and were asked to balance its 480 calories by not eating other foods similar in nutrients and calories. Half the patients got dark chocolate and half got white chocolate.

Those who ate dark chocolate had a significant drop in blood pressure (by an average of 5 points for systolic and an average of 2 points for diastolic blood pressure). Those who ate white chocolate did not.

In the second study, Serafini's team signed up seven healthy women and five healthy men aged 25-35. On different days they each ate 100 grams of dark chocolate by itself, 100 grams of dark chocolate with a small glass of whole milk, or 200 grams of milk chocolate.

An hour later, those who ate dark chocolate alone had the most total antioxidants in their blood. And they had higher levels of epicatechin, a particularly healthy compound found in chocolate. The milk chocolate eaters had the lowest epicatechin levels of all.

Chocolate for Blood Pressure: Darker Is Better

What is it about dark chocolate? The answer is plant phenols -- cocoa phenols, to be exact. These compounds are known to lower blood pressure.

Chocolates made in Europe are generally richer in cocoa phenols than those made in the U.S. So if you're going to try this at home, remember: Darker is better.

Just remember to balance the calories. A 100-gram serving of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Bar has 531 calories, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. If you ate that much raw apple you'd only take in 52 calories. But then, you'd miss out on the delicious blood pressure benefit.

A hint: Don't replace healthy foods with chocolate. Most people's diets have plenty of sweets. Switch those for some chocolate if you're going to try the truffle treatment.[/hide]

chat.png

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

Gag0.png[/hide]

My current diet?

Breakfast 8:00 AM - A medium-small sized bowl of coco-pops with semi-skimmed milk

Lunch 1:30 PM - two sandwiches as I'm absolutely starving at this point

Dinner 7:00 PM (I do eat early) - Whatever my parents cook, normally very healthy and portion controlled as both my parents are trying to lose weight, I would like to say that today my mum reached her goal weight (Well done!)

After dinner I have around 3 portions of fruit.

And then I just lie around the house doing whatever until, like 12 when I do sit-ups and press-ups before bed, as it's hard for me to wake up in the morning...

I also powerwalk almost everywhere. 15 mins to school, 15 mins home etc.

20 mins to friends houses, 20 mins back.

Luck be a Lady

Yes, i drink them as a supplement, but i'm not sure if they are healthy enough to drink them every day.

And to back up the dark chocolate statement: i've read several articles, scientific and non-scientific, about it being healthy and i believe that. In moderate amounts tho.

Article from WebMD(http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030827 ... -chocolate):

[hide=Dark Chocolate Is Healthy Chocolate]Dark Chocolate Lowers Blood Pressure

Dark chocolate -- not white chocolate -- lowers high blood pressure, say Dirk Taubert, MD, PhD, and colleagues at the University of Cologne, Germany. Their report appears in the Aug. 27 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

But that's no license to go on a chocolate binge. Eating more dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure -- if you've reached a certain age and have mild high blood pressure, say the researchers. But you have to balance the extra calories by eating less of other things.

Antioxidants in Dark Chocolate

Dark chocolate -- but not milk chocolate or dark chocolate eaten with milk -- is a potent antioxidant, report Mauro Serafini, PhD, of Italy's National Institute for Food and Nutrition Research in Rome, and colleagues. Their report appears in the Aug. 28 issue of Nature. Antioxidants gobble up free radicals, destructive molecules that are implicated in heart disease and other ailments.

"Our findings indicate that milk may interfere with the absorption of antioxidants from chocolate ... and may therefore negate the potential health benefits that can be derived from eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate."

Translation: Say "Dark, please," when ordering at the chocolate counter. Don't even think of washing it down with milk. And if health is your excuse for eating chocolate, remember the word "moderate" as you nibble.

The Studies

Taubert's team signed up six men and seven women aged 55-64. All had just been diagnosed with mild high blood pressure -- on average, systolic blood pressure (the top number) of 153 and diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) of 84.

Every day for two weeks, they ate a 100-gram candy bar and were asked to balance its 480 calories by not eating other foods similar in nutrients and calories. Half the patients got dark chocolate and half got white chocolate.

Those who ate dark chocolate had a significant drop in blood pressure (by an average of 5 points for systolic and an average of 2 points for diastolic blood pressure). Those who ate white chocolate did not.

In the second study, Serafini's team signed up seven healthy women and five healthy men aged 25-35. On different days they each ate 100 grams of dark chocolate by itself, 100 grams of dark chocolate with a small glass of whole milk, or 200 grams of milk chocolate.

An hour later, those who ate dark chocolate alone had the most total antioxidants in their blood. And they had higher levels of epicatechin, a particularly healthy compound found in chocolate. The milk chocolate eaters had the lowest epicatechin levels of all.

Chocolate for Blood Pressure: Darker Is Better

What is it about dark chocolate? The answer is plant phenols -- cocoa phenols, to be exact. These compounds are known to lower blood pressure.

Chocolates made in Europe are generally richer in cocoa phenols than those made in the U.S. So if you're going to try this at home, remember: Darker is better.

Just remember to balance the calories. A 100-gram serving of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Bar has 531 calories, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. If you ate that much raw apple you'd only take in 52 calories. But then, you'd miss out on the delicious blood pressure benefit.

A hint: Don't replace healthy foods with chocolate. Most people's diets have plenty of sweets. Switch those for some chocolate if you're going to try the truffle treatment.[/hide]

Chocolate is a mixture of a huge amount of chemical compounds. Chocolate isn't universally good or bad.

I have a horribly unhealthy life and diet ect.

I get up in the morning with about 15 mins before I set off for college, enough time to get dressed and put stuff in my bag I need. I rarely have time for breakfast. I'll eat usually chips from the chippy or Sausage rolls for lunch. Dinner is the only vaguely normal meal I might have. Between all that I'm eating an average of half a 100g bar of Smartprice chocolate and half of a 175g packet of Smartprice midget gems per day, sometimes a full one. I might have a couple of slices of bread for breakfast every so often.

The weekends are even worse since I usually don't eat anything properly until dinnertime and sometimes that could be as late as 8pm >.<

As for exercise, the only bit I do is DDR practice a few times a week.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Bauke, okay, at least i can say that dark chocolate is healthier than other types =]

Racheya, i used to be the same as you.. If you have the will, try to stop living like that and choose a healthier life. You could start with small things, like reducing the amount of snacks eaten, and then climb up to more drastical changes ::'

DDR = Dance dance revolution? (googled it =P)

I find Hard jump/Jumpstyle extremely good exercise, but i need to learn it first. I've been trying to do it for 2 hours and i still haven't learned the basis.. I guess i have 2 left legs :D But i will keep on trying. I will eventually learn it ;)

chat.png

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

Gag0.png[/hide]

First up, congratulations on quitting smoking. Here's hoping it lasts.

I do not eat healthy, but I do not worry about my health, since I haven't really gained a pound in a year. I usually eat one or two meals, and a couple of snacks in a day, usually consisting of a serving of meat and 2 of vegetables, each. I don't eat a lot of grains or dairy, but I get enough to survive. I will usually eat right up until midnight or later, since I finish work at 11. I'll eat it and then watch the hockey highlights before going to bed.

I wake up at 10 or 11 in the morning so breakfast is past. The best I could do is brunch but I don't bother eating until 1 or 2 or I'll be hungry all day at work. I always try to eat something before I leave, but sometimes I just flat-out forget. I will eat fast food for any meal any time, but I do try to avoid it where convenient. My opinion on breakfast is that it is the most important meal of the day only for those who believe it.

Bauke, okay, at least i can say that dark chocolate is healthier than other types =]

Racheya, i used to be the same as you.. If you have the will, try to stop living like that and choose a healthier life. You could start with small things, like reducing the amount of snacks eaten, and then climb up to more drastical changes ::'

DDR = Dance dance revolution? (googled it =P)

I find Hard jump/Jumpstyle extremely good exercise, but i need to learn it first. I've been trying to do it for 2 hours and i still haven't learned the basis.. I guess i have 2 left legs :D But i will keep on trying. I will eventually learn it ;)

I suppose, I have picky food issues and horrible laziness but I probably could do with sorting it out a bit. I've been eating sweets obsessively since I can remember. I used to eat 3 packets of Strawberry shoelaces a day about 5 years ago (then they went crap :(), one before school, one during school and one after school. I've always been buying cheap chocolate and sweets from Asda...

Yeah, DDR - Dance Dance Revolution ::' It tires me out pretty good and I've been playing that for years too so I'm not too bad at it either. Wii Fit I play every now and again too ::'

Good luck with learning btw :thumbsup:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I'm healthy and have an awesome body. It really isn't that hard when you've still got your metabolism. And I tend to eat four full meals a day. But hey, I exercise and lift. A lot. Okay, I contributed. Now:

I get up in the morning with about 15 mins before I set off for college, enough time to get dressed and put stuff in my bag I need. I rarely have time for breakfast. I'll eat usually chips from the chippy or Sausage rolls for lunch. Dinner is the only vaguely normal meal I might have. Between all that I'm eating an average of half a 100g bar of Smartprice chocolate and half of a 175g packet of Smartprice midget gems per day, sometimes a full one. I might have a couple of slices of bread for breakfast every so often.

Try going to bed a little earlier. Or hell, just get the f**k up in the morning. I'm terrible about getting up but I still managed to get up an hour early for my morning classes today after going to bed at 4am. Just get frikkin' up, and if you can't, sqweeze in breakfast after your first class. Your body needs a certain amount of food in the day, and if it isn't a healthy breakfast it's something else.

Yeah, DDR - Dance Dance Revolution ::' It tires me out pretty good and I've been playing that for years too so I'm not too bad at it either. Wii Fit I play every now and again too ::'

Jesus Christ. I don't care if you're a fat chick, take up a real sport. Or run, but I personally find that boring.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

unkn0wnwarrior, thanks a lot! =] I'm doing pretty good at the moment and i hardly have any lust for ciggarette smoke ;)

You should eat that "brunch" or at leas a small breakfast when you get up, at least a small cup of cereals or something like that. You need energy to last until lunch at 1 or 2 :)

Racheya, i'm extremely picky too :S I don't eat almost no vegetables, no sauces, no dairy products(except milk and maybe curd) especially cream( :-X ).. I don't eat many different types of fruit(i rarely eat other than bananas and apples..)... And the list goes on :\ Thanks for the good wishes! =)

Rebdragon, any exercise is better than no exercise =D plus i'd rather dance than run. I started hating running in my early school days...

chat.png

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

Gag0.png[/hide]

I'm healthy and have an awesome body. It really isn't that hard when you've still got your metabolism. And I tend to eat four full meals a day. But hey, I exercise and lift. A lot.

:lol:

Jesus Christ. I don't care if you're a fat chick, take up a real sport. Or run, but I personally find that boring.

:lol:

OT: I don't really exercise much - but I think I really should.

As for eating, I much sometimes but generally I have 3 square and very healthy meals a day.

Coca-Cola maybe once or twice in a fortnight.

Chips maybe once in a week

Chocolate and "lollies/candy" rarely. (Although I enjoy Werthers)

I eat because im sad and im sad because i eat

I know what it feels like. -.-

But I'm not too sad.

I'm healthy and have an awesome body. It really isn't that hard when you've still got your metabolism. And I tend to eat four full meals a day. But hey, I exercise and lift. A lot. Okay, I contributed. Now:

Try going to bed a little earlier. Or hell, just get the f**k up in the morning. I'm terrible about getting up but I still managed to get up an hour early for my morning classes today after going to bed at 4am. Just get frikkin' up, and if you can't, sqweeze in breakfast after your first class. Your body needs a certain amount of food in the day, and if it isn't a healthy breakfast it's something else.

But I have too much internet browsing to do to go to bed early! :o I just fail at sleeping in general.

And I'm not a fat chick :lol: There's nothing wrong with DDR as exercise, since I'd probably do nothing if I didn't do that :P And I have asthma so I like using that as an excuse not to do other things. I'm not a very sporty person and I never have been.

I'm not overweight or anything either (actually about right according to Wii Fit), but I think my body is just generally not very healthy. It's always been this way.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I have all sorts of problems from being unhealthy. I mean, I'm fat, stressy and always aching in places. I don't eat properly (as in, I barely eat anything), I don't exercise, so on and so forth.

But you know, I'm not really that bothered.