More easily hit while not attacking

pamzheng

This could have happened ages ago, before Jagex became mired in corporate messes and large player base management. Sure they're busy NOW, but before, they seemed to be holding things together fairly well.

8f14270694.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could have happened ages ago, before Jagex became mired in corporate messes and large player base management. Sure they're busy NOW, but before, they seemed to be holding things together fairly well.

They'd logically have more work in the past than now. Before, they had a WHOLE GAME to program, while now it's just a bunch of updates. Before, they had a very small staff, now it's very large.

Still, your explanation seems too much of a stretch. Put yourself in the eyes of Jagex, why waste your time trying to program this when you got eons of work ahead of you?

I don't think so.. It could very well have been something that was just invented "just like that" while the basics of combat in Runescape were created/modified at some point. Like "hey let's throw in that", rather than being something that was planned and discussed for weeks. If I had suggested that they had added it recently, that would seem more unlikely.

Still, your explanation seems too much of a stretch. Put yourself in the eyes of Jagex, why waste your time trying to program this when you got eons of work ahead of you?

I don't think so.. It could very well have been something that was just invented "just like that" while the basics of combat in Runescape were created/modified at some point. Like "hey let's throw in that", rather than being something that was planned and discussed for weeks. If I had suggested that they had added it recently, that would seem more unlikely.

I'd doubt Andrew said "hey let's throw in that" and spent his time to adding this...

I really don't think they've would've bothered, tbh. What does it accomplish? It doesn't make the game more realistic, since no one even notices it.

Well....

Do you notice how things have become a bit buggy these days?

Before, they had a smaller game to work with. Sure, they had to build up all the cities and places to go and things were sparse and two dimensional, but at least you knew where your eggs were. (In the farm north of Lumby, of course.)

Now everything's scattered everywhere, and you're basically trying to drive the Titanic through an icy sea while the passengers are complaining that there's nothing to do onboard (despite the fact that you have a large array of facilities), and the bustling kitchen crew has just burnt dinner and now they'll have to start over plus hey what's that giant lump of ice doing there AHHHHHHH-

That's how I see things.

EDIT: There's a lot of things in every game that nobody really knows about or appreciates aside from the creators, but they exist and nobody knows why, really. Creators are silly people.

Plus, Andrew says a lot of things. But do people tell him to stop his inane jabbering? Nooooo.

8f14270694.jpg

Well....

Do you notice how things have become a bit buggy these days?

Before, they had a smaller game to work with. Sure, they had to build up all the cities and places to go and things were sparse and two dimensional, but at least you knew where your eggs were. (In the farm north of Lumby, of course.)

Now everything's scattered everywhere, and you're basically trying to drive the Titanic through an icy sea while the passengers are complaining that there's nothing to do onboard (despite the fact that you have a large array of facilities), and the bustling kitchen crew has just burnt dinner and now they'll have to start over plus hey what's that giant lump of ice doing there AHHHHHHH-

That's how I see things.

EDIT: There's a lot of things in every game that nobody really knows about or appreciates aside from the creators, but they exist and nobody knows why, really. Creators are silly people.

Plus, Andrew says a lot of things. But do people tell him to stop his inane jabbering? Nooooo.

Ok......what's your point?

Creators may be silly, but they are not irrational. I think we can trust our fellow human beings who have received Computer Science training to differentiate what saves time and what doesn't.

I'd doubt Andrew said "hey let's throw in that" and spent his time to adding this...

I really don't think they've would've bothered, tbh. What does it accomplish? It doesn't make the game more realistic, since no one even notices it.

As I already stated, it is probably a rather simple process to add something like that, besides, I believe it was added while things were made/heavily modified. And why would it be so unlikely? Most things in the game most likely originated from little ideas like that. There are probably a lot of small things that no one notices that various people involved in building Runescape have added. Perhaps it is 5% easier to successfully pickpocket men than women? Perhaps one kind of graphical model for a kind of monster has a slightly higher chance of dropping a certain item than the same monster with an other graphical model? We don't notice it, but I can guarantee you that there are lots of little things like that.

Why? It doesn't make the game much different, sure, but it's fun for the developers and it gives a little more variation and realism.

Creators may be silly, but they are not irrational. I think we can trust our fellow human beings who have received Computer Science training to differentiate what saves time and what doesn't.

Haha, look, Runescape wasn't created as some game that needed to be finished and up and running in one week just because some big company said so. I'm sure the main thing with creating Runescape was having fun rather than trying to make a game as quickly as possible back then ;)

And as far as I know, Andrew is certainly that kind of person that would enjoy those little variations even more than what the average game developer would.

There is no doubt that time was/can still be spent on little things like this one we're addressing now when it comes to game developing, it's part of the fun of being a game developer.

I think very few developers want to have fun as much as they want to get the job done. That's just life.

First things first, I'm sure that this DOES NOT exist, it's simply you noticing a coincidental pattern. You have evidence to say it does, but it's not really "good" evidence. It's only an observation, nothing more. You can't assume facts off an observation as such.

Do you really believe the developers think that so many people will notice little things like 5% easier pickpocketing, or a defense drop? As a said before, most people will think nothing of it and move on with their lives. If you're working as a developer, you wouldn't add things like this. The chance of a bug greatly outweighs the EXTREMELY small "benefit" it provides.

And variety? Every few days you essentially have something new to program. Do you really think that they would add small things like this?

You people keep going on and on about "too much time and effort"

if (target.isInCombat() == false && isFirstHit() == true) {

target.defense -= (target.defense * . 20);

}

This goes pre-hit, swap the variables with ones jagex uses, and your defense is slashed by 20%. Have it reverted after the hit.

Damn, I just deafeated half your arguments about "too much code"

^^^I just wanted to mention that... it's only a bit of code, we're not talking about creating a new skill here.

I had thought of this idea before because I too, have noticed that I get hit more often when running to a safespot or whatever but also wondered if it was just a coincidence. But then I shrug and continue playing. It's like one of those little questions people always ask about the game, like

...Does the ring of wealth help at all?

...What's better in the long run, strength or attack bonuses?

...If a monster is weak to stab, is it really worth leaving my ship in the bank?

It's often the small stuff that counts. There are sooooo many variables in the game. I'm not saying this one exists, but is there any reason for it not to? I got a fishing level yesterday... am I going to catch fish 0.5% faster? Maybe. Anyway, I say the best thing to do is avoid getting attacked by what we're not attacking.

Hi

It's based in random numbers

Bye

Uh yes? I never said it wasn't. But the chance of getting hit while having a +300 defence bonus is not the same as it is while having a +/- 0 defence bonus, however there is a chance of getting hit just as much with both.

Cool

Also if you use pray melee you don't get hit by attacks that much

Now on topic: The times you get hit it's based on random numbers

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

Maybe. I can only see this happening in one way. When you're training a melee stat, you get a +3 hidden bonus to that stat while training it, +1 to each while on controlled. Back in rsc it used to tell you this, but now its just hidden. ((If you don't believe me, look at tip.it's own max hit calc, your max goes up a little on agressive)). So my theory is yes, your statement could be true. If you miss an attack, while on defensive or controlled, you may lose that +3 or +1 hidden def bonus. This would be very very tedius and difficult to prove though.

Though this theoretical change would have an effect on your odds of getting hit, most likely you're just getting unlucky, or your opponent is pulling out piety or some other prayer to beat you down while you're eating.

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

This does sound plausible. As proven above it only requires a small bit of code, and you have to take in mind that the Bone Dagger's Special Attack in the KB states that it has "a higher chance of hitting an unsuspected opponent". So even if it isn't true for each and every weapon, it certainly could be done.

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.

Is it somewhere officially confirmed that you have "lower defence" while not attacking an enemy? I have never heard of such a thing but I am convinced that one is much more easily hit while not actively attacking the "attacker" so to speak.

You can often notice this while eating during a fight, at least I do. Very often when I eat while being a attacked, I get hit, while I perhaps very rarely get hit by that monster/NPC otherwise.

What is your view on this? Is it just random? Is it confirmed somewhere officially? If so, where?

Actually, I've noticed this before whenever I pvp but I never bothered to confirm it with people.

I can honestly say this has to be true. I remember a number of months ago when I was toying around in F2P, I went into clan wars Dangerous and fought a guy rune scimmy style.

As soon as I was 1/3 health, I decided to make a run for it. He pulls out a R2H which isn't that threatening IMO, and KOs me in one shot 35! So from the 10 minutes we took hitting 0s on each other, the time he hits really hard is when I decide to run.

tomcatgt.png

tenta.png

Runescape, Funorb, "Mechscape" Videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/TOMCATLX

I too have noticed the same thing before while fighting greaters, and I had the intention to post about this as well.

This may just be superstition, but now, I don't pick up drops / eat anymore while in combat, I wait till the fight is over^^

sigwg.png

Are you into DnB or Dubstep?

Be sure to check my SOUNDCLOUD and MIXCLOUD,

and like me on FACEBOOK to stay up to date!

Latest mix: Leuven Goes Out Deejay Contest Winning Set (Dubstep + DnB)

No, you just realise something like this because you pay attention when your eating, i bet you just killing them kinda afk or without paying alot of attention to your hits or you getting hit.

And when you do take an active role in the fight (eating, speccing and so on) you just pay more attention... thats it

]Gonalo40.png

Where's your thousands of hours of testing?

It's random.

Humans pick up on "patterns" that doesn't exist. :roll:

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

You people keep going on and on about "too much time and effort"

if (target.isInCombat() == false && isFirstHit() == true) {

target.defense -= (target.defense * . 20);

}

This goes pre-hit, swap the variables with ones jagex uses, and your defense is slashed by 20%. Have it reverted after the hit.

Damn, I just deafeated half your arguments about "too much code"

Ok cool, but that doesn't answer the question.

Why did Jagex even put it in?

Also, just like everyone has said, this DOES NOT exist.

I see in f2p pvp people use their r2h when eating rather than a rune scimmy

it does seem to make a difference but maybe not?

Jamje.png

null and void

Yes, it's sort of true, it's in the Knowledge base, I'll post the quote, it's under Special Attacks.

"You will have a very high chance of hitting an unsuspecting opponent."

Here is the link.

Look at the: Bone dagger and Ivandis Flail/Rod of Ivandis Retainer.

This to me seems like there is such a thing as "not ready to be attacked" thus your first hit is usually higher than your second.

I've noticed this too. I think it may have something with your weapon giving an invisible boost to your defence stats. I know the defence option on your weapon is supposed to give an invisible boost to your defence, the attack option gives an invisible boost to your accuracy, and the strength option makes you hit harder. Perhaps the controlled/defensive modes are responsible?

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I've noticed this too. I think it may have something with your weapon giving an invisible boost to your defence stats. I know the defence option on your weapon is supposed to give an invisible boost to your defence, the attack option gives an invisible boost to your accuracy, and the strength option makes you hit harder. Perhaps the controlled/defensive modes are responsible?

I too have noticed it, and what you say about attack styles may be the reason.

It goes like this:

Attack (+3 to Attack)

Strength (+3 to Strength)

Defense (+3 to Defense)

Controlled (+1 to Attack, Strength, and Defense)

That's why I've always wondered if it'd be better to run through aggressive monsters with the Defense option selected.

2dgucz6.png

I too have noticed it, and what you say about attack styles may be the reason.

It goes like this:

Attack (+3 to Attack)

Strength (+3 to Strength)

Defense (+3 to Defense)

Controlled (+1 to Attack, Strength, and Defense)

That's why I've always wondered if it'd be better to run through aggressive monsters with the Defense option selected.

Attack styles DO give bonuses, so that might be an explanation.

Sorry if this thread was dead, but....

... while on a slayer task at basilisks I noticed that they can hit on you regularly if you start a fight and try to walk away, even if you have a mirror shield equipped.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.