"Swine flu can't touch this" ~ Famous Last Words

Gpguy

I dont know about you all, but I am sick and tired of the swine flu kills less people yearly than the regular flu! Youre all overreacting. I will try and dispel this myth so that you are aware of the dangers of swine flu to somebody who actually HAS it. Swine flu has a mortality rate of over 6%(60 times as much as the regular flu) and it may be higher.

Dont expect the government to bail you out folks, unless youre a car maker who should be making scrap metal. You saw what happened in Mexico. The Economy took a great hit from closing down the country. In the U.S.A, nobody is going to let our economy take any more hits. Were already just waiting for the straw that breaks the camels back. Basically, youre likely to hear more media propaganda saying, swine flu isnt too big a deal. Thats the best for the U.S Economy. Listen to the WHO, theyre the unbiased global disease prophets, and theyve released a level 5 pandemic alert.

Sure, Regular Influenza kills more people yearly than swine flu, but this isnt a fair comparison. Thats equal to saying that more people die from Heart Disease yearly than HIV, and therefore, enjoying yourself in the red light district is safer than eating hamburgers. This is non sequitur, because AIDS has a 18% mortality rate among those that have the HIV, and heart disease has a .3% mortality rate among those who have a heart(umm everyone). Also, we have not as of yet had a full flu season of the swine flu, and this is probably partly responsible for the fact that the regular flu kills more people. More people get infected! And if you think the HIV- Heart Disease comparison is ludicrous, the .3:18 ratio is 60, while the Swine flu: regular flu ratio is also 60!

So, what does this mean for you? Well, it means that if youre young and healthy, then the swine flu is something you should avoid like the plague. Literally. Although you are far less likely to catch it, you are also far more likely to die from it. If youre old or HIV+, then either one can kill you, so feel free to disregard this, as you are at danger from any sickness. Sure, swine flu may only be killing a few people per year, but the facts are facts, and they say that if you get the swine flu, you are far more likely to be part of the dead than if you get the regular flu.

For people who dislike reading, here is a concise analogy:

How many people die from Planes crashing on top of them every year? Maybe 1 or 2.

How many die from Cancer? 8 million.

This does NOT mean that having a plane crash on you is 4 million times less dangerous, it simply means many less people are exposed to planes speeding towards them.

You will earn my gratitude if you pick one thing about my post above which you would like me to change and send it to me in a private message.

I'm still not worried.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Honestly, if this is the worst disease you have to worry about, you're pretty well off.

This does NOT mean that having a plane crash on you is 4 million times less dangerous, it simply means many less people are exposed to planes speeding towards them.
You're stating the obvious. The use of the adjective "dangerous" in that area generalizes an opinion. What it means is that it is, using your statistic, you're four millions time less likely to be in that situation in comparison to developing cancer. No matter which way you put it, you're more likely to develop cancer than being hit by a plane. In this case, you're more likely to develop cancer than to catch the swine flu right now. However, this statistic is bias in itself because the diseases are caused in extremely different ways. Environmental variables account for the majority of this bias, though. If you live in isolation, you're chances of getting the swine flu drop considerably whereas cancer is near indiscriminate towards a society.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Going on the Wikipedia article, in particular the Detected Human Cases By Country table, there are (as of whenever the table was last updated, which was some time this month) there are a total of 2,303 confirmed cases (2,347 when you include deaths) and a total of 44 confirmed deaths, which means it comes out to be a total of 1.8% mortality rate. Besides, there are only suspected cases in my country, none confirmed. Not only that but I don't care how deadly/dangerous something is.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I've already said that unless freakin' zombies start popping up swine flu isn't that big a deal and I won't treat it like one. I think the media is blowing it way out of proportion. The called swine flu a pandemic when like two people had it. I'm just going to live my life as I normally do. If I die i'll send you a post card.

That 6% mortality rate is a bit misleading. That doesn't necessarily mean that if you get swine flu you have a 3 in 50 chance of dying from it, it simply means that 3 out of 50 people that get it die. Most of the deaths will probably come from developing countries, and the few that are in developed countries will probably be a result of negligence on the part of the infected, their families, or both.

Just take care of yourself and you'll be fine. Probably :P

Who here remembers the first Swine Flu outbreak? You know, the one where they tried to make a vaccine for it but it ended up being more deadly than the flu itself. Remember? 1976? How did that one turn out? If I remember right the human race died out because of it. Oh wait, no it didn't. My bad.

Well, if you didn't know about that, how 'bout these other apocalyptic pandemics?:

Bird Flu

SARS

West Nile

Remember those? Yeah, me neither.

And I'm not an unsanitary, health care-less, poor person like those people who died in Mexico, so I think I'm good.

Who here remembers the first Swine Flu outbreak? You know, the one where they tried to make a vaccine for it but it ended up being more deadly than the flu itself. Remember? 1976? How did that one turn out? If I remember right the human race died out because of it. Oh wait, no it didn't. My bad.

Well, if you didn't know about that, how 'bout these other apocalyptic pandemics?:

Bird Flu

SARS

West Nile

And I'm not an unsanitary, health care-less, poor person like those people who died in Mexico, so I think I'm good.

I'm 16 and I remember two of those easily(and SARS I know about).

Oh, and 6% is extremely misleading. There are probably way more cases than people know of, but they are just minor. We oonly hear about the severe stuff.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

I'm not worried at all. I don't really think I'll get sick. If I do, I'll recover. Healthy bodies work that way.

God forbid I don't wash my hands and remain perfectly healthy.

On a side rant, I hate this new generation of kids that are being raised to be 99.9999999...% germ free. Get your damn hands dirty. Who the hell cares if you get a few germs in your body, maybe it'll actually help STRENGTHEN your immune system.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Bird Flu

SARS

West Nile

Fukkin lol'd.

Besides, there's only a small amount of confirmed swine flu infections/death. The rest is just the media blowing it out of proportion.

Bird Flu

SARS

West Nile

I'm 16 and I remember two of those easily(and SARS I know about).

Oh, and 6% is extremely misleading. There are probably way more cases than people know of, but they are just minor. We oonly hear about the severe stuff.

Ha I forgot about west nile. Never got it. Or bird flu.

My state(being in the south) went insane over it. OMFGWTFMOSQUITORUNB4ITBITZANDPWNSJOO!

Seriously.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

My state(being in the south) went insane over it. OMFGWTFMOSQUITORUNB4ITBITZANDPWNSJOO!

Seriously.

Mine too but I still forgot about it.

Ok, well, to the guy that stated the wikipedia thing: you're using the number of people who have the virus vs. the number of people who died... That's actually the misleading statistic. 4000 infected and 100 dead doesn't mean 2.5% mortality, because the 100 aren't counted in the 4000 who had the virus, and the 4000 aren't cured. To Laura, who used big words about me "generalizing" and being "biased"... you missed the whole point... my analogy is for the people who don't wish to read, but understand anyway. If you wanted to make a convoluted retort to anything i said, you should have referred to the actual post...

The rest of you, feel free to live your life without worry. But don't complain about those who do wish to keep themselves free of disease. I'm not telling you to go around with gloves and a facemask, but just don't make fun of people who are that paranoid, because statistically, they have reason to be.

You will earn my gratitude if you pick one thing about my post above which you would like me to change and send it to me in a private message.

Every year or two there seems to be some sort of epidemic, everybody gets all wiled about it, and anti-zombie groups form. Hey, we're still here.

Comparing death by disease to a falling plane out of the sky is just... :wall:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

You should only be worried when H1N1 reaches level 4+ of the scale. Pandemic scale that is. It's on the WHO site, I'll link it. Also, very few countries have vaccine plants. Tamiflu and relenza at the present are already short stacked as it is. You should be worried when mortality rates number in the double digit millions. Also, making these medicines litterally cripples the economy and there is no real bet that they will be needed as a pre-emtive measure, also you cant rely on drug manufacturers - those guys are bastards. So your either dealing with orchestrating a massive prevention program either after or before the brunt of the virus, both of which will have [wagon]-violating consequences.

I'm still going to take Singapore's defence for granted.

Singapore hasn't been infected yet, schools have stopped taking temperature twice a day, and I will not be that unlucky to be the one to cause S'pore's downfall. Hell yeah, arrogance..

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

Ill be worried when its actually a severe threat, outbreak in a crowded and honestly unclean city doesnt convince me its dangerous. Besides, getting everyone hyped up just makes the pandemic worse when we freak out and cant respond properly.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I'm still not worried.

On a side rant, I hate this new generation of kids that are being raised to be 99.9999999...% germ free. Get your damn hands dirty. Who the hell cares if you get a few germs in your body, maybe it'll actually help STRENGTHEN your immune system.

+1