Runescape and it's place in History

Zaaps1

Where does RuneScape fall in the timeline of history? Simple question right? Let's take a vote, how many of you would say it's the "Middle Ages"? Very good guess, since there are knights, castles, and monarchies that suggest that RuneScape is set during the Medieval Times.

However, that guess is wrong. I looked deeper into RuneScape (and my AP textbook :lol: ) and I have concluded that RuneScape is actually set during the Renaissance and Enlightenment eras in history, around the 14th, 15th or early 16th century.

This post is to provide evidence and invoke discussion on this topic. In addition, at the end I will also try to match up RuneScape areas with nation-states or foreign empires during the 14th, 15th and early 16th centuries.

Evidence

1. First a counter-argument. It's true that you find traces of medieval society in Runescape, such as the aforementioned knights and castles. However, it is important to note that during the Renaissance, knights and castles didn't magically disappear, they simply became less apparent. During the Renaissance, Feudal order didn't go *poof* and disappear, replaced by centralized monarchies. Neither did castles. This explains how there are still use of medieval weaponry. While improvements in warfare has begun, they are not very widespread. How many of you own a cannon? Now how many don't? Point proven.

2. Architecture. This is maybe the most standout evidence. Medieval architecture is primarily romanesque, with high and thick walls built mainly for defense. But it's clearly seen in cities such as Ardrouge, that new styles, Gothic and Baroque, are prevailing. Hell, the song in Ardy is even "Baroque". These buildings are less for defense, and more for appearance. Lumby church, for example, isn't blocking any cannonballs, but have a good "religious" look to it.

Again, although castles still exist, they are more remnants of the last age then new structures to identify the world.

3. Technology, another big indicator. A lot falls under this. First of all, the telescope in your PoH. Right, that was actually invented in the 1500s. Your character also seems to have a good sense of direction, no doubt because of the compass he or she always has, and invention that reached Europe during this time. On the topic of direction, that nice Sextant you use during Treasure Trails? Invention of this time period. The list goes on, the advanced ships, lamp oil, machinery, books (printing press!), hot air balloons, and so on. These were not seen in Medieval Times.

4. The Global Network. There is far-reaching trade. This is directly proven during The Fremminick Isles, when it is revealed that there is a trade route between Neitiznot and the far-away Draynor. This is indirectly proven with the appearance of similar items, technology, and customs throughout the world. There is an anvil in Relleka. There is also an anvil in the Desert (one of the Camps, I think, you smithed darts for the first time there, most likely). This technology has obviously traveled throughout the world. Without a Global Trade Network, that would mean that these two isolated areas developed the same exact invention. Likely? Not very.

Don't forget the entire Charter Ship network, with goods and ships around the world. In fact, don't forget the ship network as a whole. It literally stretches from the Tyras Camp to Mos le'Harmless.

5. Universities. Ok maybe not, there is still the educational facility at the Exam Centre, not to mention the private schooling shown during the random event. There are also many hints at education scattered all over, proving that education gained importance. Not in the Middle Ages you don't!

6. Sponsored art. King's statues, religious statues, many portraits, paintings in every wealthy home...what more evidence could you want?

In addition, you'll notice in the few Runescape paintings you can see close up, there is use of perspective, a Renaissance invention.

7. Religious Wars. Mainly a result in Europe of the Crusades and the Reformation, there are equals in Runescape. The Crusades and the God Wars are both ancient religious wars that happened before the current time period. The 30 Years' War and the on-going Religious Wars in RS are the more recent wars.

8. Commercial Enterprise. The huge Ali Morrisane desert merchant company, for example? The huge Charter Ship company? Ogre SPAS?!? Commercial Revolution and Capitalism, for sure.

9. Political and Social Structure. There's no feudal order. Sure there are still peasants, but they are loyal to the King of their region, not a lord or vassal. In fact, are there even any lords who rule in Runescape? I can only think of the Elf one. Point being, kingdoms are centralized now, instead of divided under feudalism. The behavior of the social system reflects this as well. You see greater social mobility among the Runescape population, which screams out Middle Ages! Oh wait, no it doesn't...

There's my evidence. Feel free to post your own!

Nations and RuneScape

Which nations represent which RuneScape kingdoms? (Or rather, it should be the other way around.) Let's take a look, here's what I've come up to.

Mortania = The Holy Roman Empire.

Used to be united under one Religion and strong (Saradomin, pre-Godwars) during the last time period. Then came the rise of another Religion (Zamorak), then came a cataclysmic war. Now the region is seperated, with the newer religion gaining huge ground. The region is nothing more than autonomous states somehow united under one rule, by force. That's Mortania, I mean, the Holy Roman Empire.

Gnomes and Dwarves = England.

These two are collectively used to represent England. It's evident from Dwarvish politics that one ruler does not hold all the power, but rather shares it with his Parliament. The Dwarves also demonstrate England's coming role as an industrial superpower, while the Gnomes demonstrate England's military organization and might. In addition, their isolation and seclusion has largely eroded their military power.

Plus, this argument can be as simple as "Gnomes say "Tally [garden tool]"". I think I'll use that.

Sophanem, Menahpos, Ullek = Ottomans, Safavids, Mughals

Not example in Europe, but still. These three have separate religious sects, but these sects are really part of the same basic core (Desert Pantheon). They all also compete with each other. I won't place a finger on which is which, and they all seem to be lacking the gunpowder they are famous for.

Kandarian = Italy

Simply because it's divided, with internal rivalries, yet a center of art and trade. It has widespread influence, but with limited real power.

Elf Lands = Far East

Isolated from everywhere, want to remain that way, yet strong. They have their own tradition, with their own religion, and it has kept them strong for centuries. Also, radicals are brewing internally (and supported/educated by the West), who want to open the Elf Lands up to the rest of the world. Familiar to China and Japan? Very, I think.

Das, however, has another interesting and also well-thoughtout theory:

I'd go more Mayan/Aztec .

The elf lands are an area people want to plunder and explore (Spanish inquisition) Different tribes with tensions between them and some were more open to trade with the Spanish than others be it through interest or nativity.

The elves also have some amazing building structures like the crystal city (macchu pichu( we cant go in yet and crystal weapons. The Incans/mayans/aztec's all were ahead of time with things such as sundials and other pyramids that people are less sure of how they were built.

In addition, the fall of the Aztec was partly because local tribes allied themselves with the Spanish conquistadors and helped destroy the empire. This just screams out in similarity.

Asgarnia = France

They both start with "F". That's it, kthxbai.

Ok not really, here's a deeper reason. Asgarnia is a diverse land, which plentiful resources, but largely human. France also contains many ethnicities and resources, but is also largely Catholic. Both lands dedicate themselves fully to one religion, and persecute others (Saradomin-Zamorak tensions, and the French persecution of the Huguenots.) In addition, Louis XIV (I think) claimed the throne at age 4. As a result, Cardinal Richelieu ruled in his place. This is similar to how the Asgarnian king in Falador is missing and Sir Amik Varse rules in his place. And if that's not enough, you also have an example of military power, which the French have under the Louises.

That's all I can figure out so far. If anyone has anything, don't hold back! Post away!

So as a final summary, I'd like to state that RuneScape is actually set during the Renaissance, and also all the similarities you can draw. Of course, if anyone has anything to add, or any corrections, please post them! ::'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice post now that i've actually read it :thumbup:

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

It isn't like this game is "set" in a real life era in my opinion. All Complete fiction with a few allusions to some things.

Well, 1) This was kinda fun to figure out and I could say I was studying, and 2) Knowing the time period helps justify certain suggestions and helps predict upcoming updates (not as a whole, but the theme of it).

It isn't like this game is "set" in a real life era in my opinion. All Complete fiction with a few allusions to some things.

Well, 1) This was kinda fun to figure out and I could say I was studying, and 2) Knowing the time period helps justify certain suggestions and helps predict upcoming updates (not as a whole, but the theme of it).

Yeah that is a good idea....by the way it was an awesome read! =D>

Big_Stingman.png

Yeah that is a good idea....by the way it was an awesome read! =D>

To be honest, it feels as though in the years rs has been around, it's gone through around 100 years in time. If you think about it, in RSC times, there was barely any technology and the world was smaller, the world of rs has gone forward generations.

P.s, im probably the only one who finds it funny that youve made morytania, the most evil part of the rs world, germany :lol:

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

To be honest, it feels as though in the years rs has been around, it's gone through around 100 years in time. If you think about it, in RSC times, there was barely any technology and the world was smaller, the world of rs has gone forward generations.

P.s, im probably the only one who finds it funny that youve made morytania, the most evil part of the rs world, germany :lol:

Very true. In that case, our characters are actually going through about 10 years in game for every IRL year that passes.

~~Chaise91~~

7. Religious Wars. Mainly a result in Europe of the Crusades and the Reformation, there are equals in Runescape. The Crusades and the God Wars are both ancient religious wars that happened before the current time period. The 30 Years' War and the on-going Religious Wars in RS are the more recent wars.

Used to be united under one Religion and strong (Saradomin, pre-Godwars) during the last time period. Then came the rise of another Religion (Zamorak), then came a cataclysmic war. Now the region is seperated, with the newer religion gaining huge ground. The region is nothing more than autonomous states somehow united under one rule, by force. That's Mortania, I mean, the Holy Roman Empire.

The 30 years war wasn't just a religious war, and afterwards the Peace of Westphalia made it so the control of the Emperor over the German territorial rulers was reduced to basically nothing.

sigh.png

I partially (As you will see later on) disagree with this idea, as I have always thought of Eastern Gielnor as Eastern Europe: Ukraine, Romania, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, etc (Some of these were part of the Holy Roman Empire, so you are partially correct). The whole setting with werewolfs, vampires, and ghosts smaks of Western steryotypes and legends of Eastern Europe (Look no further than the opening chapters of Draclua).

EDIT:

Elf Lands = Far East

Isolated from everywhere, want to remain that way, yet strong. They have their own tradition, with their own religion, and it has kept them strong for centuries. Also, radicals are brewing internally (and supported/educated by the West), who want to open the Elf Lands up to the rest of the world. Familiar to China and Japan? Very, I think.

The strong family ties and burial rituals shown in Roving Elves also seems to support this thesis, as well as a forbidden city closed off to all foreigners :geek: . Unfortionatly the Asian merchant in Port Phasmys seems to muck this up, even though his connections to the far east seem more stereotypical and forced :-s .

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

This is actually very interesting and I love how you've actually put some real thought into this all. I also find it hilarious that you've made the Germanic empire be set as the "evil" part of runescape, nice touch. :lol:

One thing you said though, that there were no lords or such. Well there is the Duke of Lumbridge, which you should know is purely feudal. That's only one example though.

EDIT - Signature far exceeds our sig limits but since it's so colourful you can keep it.

I love the comparison of gnomes and dwarves to England. I see the gnomes and dwarves as some of the oldest traditional powers who are now reduced in power, due partially to their separation from the rest of the peoples (gnomes in their trees, dwarves under their mountains). This is very similar to the traditional power of England that has declined over the last few hundred years and is separated as an island from the rest of Europe.

Great job on this. I really like it.

lalalasig2.png

Didn't know that there was widespread use of magic in the Renaissance.

Also the Elf Lands are to the far west, not east.

Problem is to the far west in Europe we have Spain and Portugal, and by the 1500's the Moors were driven out of the Iberian Penninsula and there was relative peace and no warlords in the area.

Might it be the Americas? With all the tribal conflicts, the recent introduction of foreign powers to throw off the balance of power, a religion that seems to preach connectedness with one's surroundings, as well as a loooooooong passage to get there, this is another possibility :-k .

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Didn't know that there was widespread use of magic in the Renaissance.

Also the Elf Lands are to the far west, not east.

Runescape would be comparable to an allegory, so details such as direction and magic shouldn't interfere with the deeper meaning.

lalalasig2.png

Relekka & Islands are prolly Skandinavians.

The climate is somewhat the same, they live close to shore and mountains.

If your thinking "Skandinavians? You mean vikings?" Vikings are only the thiefs who robbed and killed many people. The rest of skandinavians just tried to hide from them.

You can probably divide them by how peaceful they are, ect?

I HEARD YOU LIEK MUDKIPS

Runescape is mostly 13+ with just a few under that age.

Drops: Bones

Excellent post. Job well done.

One thing is runescape building design has changed alot since classic. For the most part it was very blocky though and very square based.

Personally the Majahratt always struck as Egyptian clones.

I'm not too sure i'd classify the elves as Chinese and Japanese. I'd go more Mayan/Aztec .

The bolt seller in Port P speaks of other lands from the west and looks Asian.

The elf lands are an area people want to plunder and explore (Spanish inquisition) Different tribes with tensions between them and some were more open to trade with the Spanish than others be it through interest or nativity.

The elves also have some amazing building structures like the crystal city (macchu pichu( we cant go in yet and crystal weapons. The Incans/mayans/aztec's all were ahead of time with things such as sundials and other pyramids that people are less sure of how they were built.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Wait--- i thought that the 14th and 15th century still counted as the middle ages. Good job, although since its a game and a different place from earth it might just have progressed faster in certain areas. Also, just because the crusades happened before the renaissance doesn't mean that runescape is set in the renaissance because there were religious wars before the present time. And you have to remember its a game with some modern influences... like the grand exchange and the classroom in the random event which looks like a modern classroom, not a old one. Btw, the telescope was invented in the 1600's. But overall i agree with you, although the dragon slaying and stuff make Runescape seem a bit like the middle ages as well lol.

I would like to state that I did not take into account the geographic locations of these areas. I said the Elf Lands were the Far East, paying no attention to geography. Tbh, I think that just because the Far East is in the east, and the Elf Lands are in the west, that doesn't mean that it disqualifies them from being the Far East. Geography is just one fact. It by itself is not enough to prove or disprove certain things.

Yes, there's no magic during the Renaissance (although there was alchemy). That's just the unrealistic part of this, and we'll just have to employ suspension of disbelief. K?

14th and 15th are technically during the Middle Ages, but really after the 12th and 13th century you can consider it the "High Middle Ages", or the Renaissance. Point being that it's not "Medieval".

Thank you for everyone's posts!

Excellent post. Job well done.

One thing is runescape building design has changed alot since classic. For the most part it was very blocky though and very square based.

Personally the Majahratt always struck as Egyptian clones.

I'm not too sure i'd classify the elves as Chinese and Japanese. I'd go more Mayan/Aztec .

The bolt seller in Port P speaks of other lands from the west and looks Asian.

I really like that idea of the American civilizations. I think I'll add it, actually. Thanks!

The Mahjarrat isn't a kingdom in Runescape, it's just a race. However, much of the Mahjarrat race was based in the desert, which is true. Then again, a lot of them weren't.

An interesting read, but I think the idea of srtting in Runescape is to create a boundry in time. For exalmple: it wouldn't be wise to have microprocessing technology here because that wasn't commercialised until the late 1900s, but at the same time you would expect to find some later inventions of the Renaissance, such as the Musket.

My point here is that the setting is not for creative purposes, instead its just a nice setting. You wouldn't expect to see castles and unpolluted rivers in a modern day MMORPG, but you would in a medieval themed one.

In summary: its so that the game has an appeal factor, setting it in Renaissance times allows for beautiful architecture and whatnot, but at the same time, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see much more modern things because the game functions more on appeal than setting.

(Reading this back my argument is very inconcise, but my points are all there.)

2v8sgvs.png

This was a great read, you've certainly put in some more thought than the average geography topic, kudos =D>. But although it's nice to see all the parallels with the real world, I do think that many of the races or kingdoms in RuneScape can't be linked to only one society. In my opinion most of them are influenced by many kingdoms in history, just as the developers are. But still, that doesn't render your topic incorrect, again nicely done ::' .

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

This was a great read, you've certainly put in some more thought than the average geography topic, kudos =D>. But although it's nice to see all the parallels with the real world, I do think that many of the races or kingdoms in RuneScape can't be linked to only one society. In my opinion most of them are influenced by many kingdoms in history, just as the developers are. But still, that doesn't render your topic incorrect, again nicely done ::' .

This is true. Most of the kingdoms are not uniquely one nation, but rather a hybrid. However, I tried to match them up with the ones they are most alike with.

And also true that the game is only set during the Renaissance because of appeal. Still though, it's nice to know this because it is a tool to help justify certain suggestions and helps us know that theme Jagex will follow in future updates/storylines.

Ah, I always hated AP World...

Interesting class - bad teacher.

But anyways.

Just a few comments.

First of all, the telescope in your PoH. Right, that was actually invented in the 1500s

The telescope was actually invented in roughly 1608. Still during your timeline, but just not in the 1500's as you said.

Yeah, real nitpicky, but still :]

books (printing press!)...These were not seen in Medieval Times

Are you suggesting that there were no books in Medieval Times? The cloistered monks were famous for their tedious transcription/translation of manuscripts. And yes, some were bound.

The Global Network. There is far-reaching trade.

As a student in AP World History, you surely have learned of the Silk Road. This trade route was apparent during Roman times, and very much so a "Global Trade Network." Tad bit before the Renaissance.

Universities. Ok maybe not, there is still the educational facility at the Exam Centre

The entire Al Kharid/desert region has a certain Arabic influence, wouldn't you agree? Arabs were famous for their knowledge, and value of it. The oldest founded university - as decided by Guiness - was the University of Al Karaouine in Fez - very much Arabic, in 859.

Religious Wars.

There have been religious wars for as long as religion has existed. The Battle of Tours is one such example, in 732.

Political and Social Structure. There's no feudal order. Sure there are still peasants, but they are loyal to the King of their region, not a lord or vassal

I'm sure there were kings who ruled directly over his peasants/work force. And plus, what do you think the population of Runescape is? 500? And that's including all the furry little creatures.

I do agree with you though on your overall assumption - Runescape being in the Renaissance/Enlightenment. Though like other people have said, it's sort of a sick, twisted version, with not everything being there that should. And yeah, hate to be so picky, but some of your arguments just didn't add up. But again, kudos to you. :]

2vlwv1v.png

Hehe, AP exam in 3 days :thumbsup:

Comments underlined.

Ah, I always hated AP World...

Interesting class - bad teacher.

But anyways.

Just a few comments.

First of all, the telescope in your PoH. Right, that was actually invented in the 1500s

The telescope was actually invented in roughly 1608. Still during your timeline, but just not in the 1500's as you said.

That when the man usually credited with it invented it. Some people say it's sooner. Still, it's during my time frame, as you said. So it doesn't matter.

Yeah, real nitpicky, but still :]

books (printing press!)...These were not seen in Medieval Times

Are you suggesting that there were no books in Medieval Times? The cloistered monks were famous for their tedious transcription/translation of manuscripts. And yes, some were bound.

But those were very rare. In any house in Runescape, you usually find the renowned bookshelf. Point proven, I think.

The Global Network. There is far-reaching trade.

As a student in AP World History, you surely have learned of the Silk Road. This trade route was apparent during Roman times, and very much so a "Global Trade Network." Tad bit before the Renaissance.

The Europeans (area Runescape concentrates in), did not participate in the Silk Road trade. The Silk Road was largely history after the fall of Rome until the Mongols revived it. In short, while there was trade, Europe was too isolated to be affected by it during the Middle Ages.

Universities. Ok maybe not, there is still the educational facility at the Exam Centre

The entire Al Kharid/desert region has a certain Arabic influence, wouldn't you agree? Arabs were famous for their knowledge, and value of it. The oldest founded university - as decided by Guiness - was the University of Al Karaouine in Fez - very much Arabic, in 859.

That's right, although the Exam Centre isn't part of Al Kharid and is technically in Misthalian (eg. Province of Varrock).

Religious Wars.

There have been religious wars for as long as religion has existed. The Battle of Tours is one such example, in 732.

Right, but my point is that there was internal religious wars. Battle of Tours was to halt a Muslim INVASION. Wars during the Renaissance were European v. European, the only difference being Catholicism and Protestantism. Of course, that's only a general line. France helped the protestants, for example. But still, the general war was Catholic v Protestant.

Political and Social Structure. There's no feudal order. Sure there are still peasants, but they are loyal to the King of their region, not a lord or vassal

I'm sure there were kings who ruled directly over his peasants/work force. And plus, what do you think the population of Runescape is? 500? And that's including all the furry little creatures.

Well if you include the ever-respawning people, quite large. Still, there's no evidence of lords of any kind.

I do agree with you though on your overall assumption - Runescape being in the Renaissance/Enlightenment. Though like other people have said, it's sort of a sick, twisted version, with not everything being there that should. And yeah, hate to be so picky, but some of your arguments just didn't add up. But again, kudos to you. :]