The Millionth Word in the English Language could be...

Toki_Hakurei

Noob. That's right, noob. The Global Language Monitor has stated the one millionth word will hit June 10th, 2009 at 10:22 am, British Summer Time.

Austin-based Global Language Monitor tracks the English language. Once new utterances are used 25,000 times by media outlets, social networking websites and in other public sources, GLM declares the term a new word. That's not to say these words automatically appear in Oxford dictionary.

There are other words like "defriend" that could become the millionth worth, but British papers like The Daily Telegraph, The Sun and The Independent are all declaring it as truth.

For noobs that don't know what noob means, the always delightful Urban Dictionary defines "noob" as "someone who is new to a game, or website, online game, or something."

A million English words, and all the language has to show for it is "noob".

'Noob' could be the millionth English word [MSN]

Link to the article: http://kotaku.com/5248752/the-millionth ... e-could-be

So... basically this will represent what the English Language really is. It is indeed a sad day for the English Language. If you have any thoughts on this big moment post right now... noobs.

ogmorth-bio-scislacbusorez.gif

umvc3_sig3.jpgTokiHakurei-SatellizerelBridget2.png

Click the "Signed in as..." go to Manage ignored users, copy paste Toki_Hakurei.

I'm pretty sure having boobs is the most broken super power anyone can ever have. 0_0

What's the problem? It's no different than any other slang word becoming official.

[A million English words, and all the language has to show for it is "noob"

What about the other 999,999 words? What about the best literature? What about unrivaled flexibility and global dominance?

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I guess "defriend" will get its revenge on the two millionth spot. :|

Click the "Signed in as..." go to Manage ignored users, copy paste Toki_Hakurei.

I'm pretty sure having boobs is the most broken super power anyone can ever have. 0_0

What's the problem? It's no different than any other slang word becoming official.

[A million English words, and all the language has to show for it is "noob"

What about the other 999,999 words? What about the best literature? What about unrivaled flexibility and global dominance?

Because the 1,000,000th spot must be THAT special. <.<

Congratulations, noob, you are the 1,000,000th word! Click here to claim your free iPod!

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

Great. Just hope that pwnage doesn't turn into a real word.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Great. Just hope that pwnage doesn't turn into a real word.

I agree with you completely.

For noobs that don't know what noob means, the always delightful Urban Dictionary defines "noob" as "someone who is new to a game, or website, online game, or something."

What a fail by Urban Dictionary.

Newbie is the one that's suppose to be for that definition. But since higher level players seem to always get mad at the newer players when they do things incorrectly, they call them noobs.

I don't get why this "word" should even be recognized in the english language. Are we to expect like said above "Pwnage"? Or "Leet"?

I don't get why this "word" should even be recognized in the english language. Are we to expect like said above "Pwnage"? Or "Leet"?

That is the utterly complete reason of why this thread has been made.

I don't see anything wrong with accepting slang words in principle, but I do think text messaging and social networking sites are damaging our language. I wouldn't be surprised if abreviations like "u" instead of "you" were socialy acceptable (at least in informal writing) in twenty years' time.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

I don't see anything wrong with accepting slang words in principle, but I do think text messaging and social networking sites are damaging our language. I wouldn't be surprised if abreviations like "u" instead of "you" were socialy acceptable (at least in informal writing) in twenty years' time.

This is always going to be the case. Every generation would look at the next generation's language and consider it as 'damaging'. What we have here is just another example of language evolution, and 'noob' may or may not be here to stay. I hope not, it's a very crude word, but there's nothing any single person can do about it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

This is always going to be the case. Every generation would look at the next generation's language and consider it as 'damaging'. What we have here is just another example of language evolution, and 'noob' may or may not be here to stay. I hope not, it's a very crude word, but there's nothing any single person can do about it.

You're probably right, but I'm sure you'd agree that an evolution into text speak would reduce the wealth of vocabularly, which would handicap the language genuinely. I suppose it's partly just irrational lingiustic conservatism though; good point.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

So we now have one million words in the English language, but only 7 that you can't say on television. One helluva ratio, and even larger than in George Carlin's original comedy bit on it.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

So we now have one million words in the English language, but only 7 that you can't say on television. One helluva ratio, and even larger than in George Carlin's original comedy bit on it.

The Global Language Monitor has stated the one millionth word will hit June 10th, 2009 at 10:22 am, British Summer Time.

Actually we only have 999,999 words in the English Language until that word gets added on that particular date.

You're probably right, but I'm sure you'd agree that an evolution into text speak would reduce the wealth of vocabularly, which would handicap the language genuinely. I suppose it's partly just irrational lingiustic conservatism though; good point.

You're right too, though, 'text speak' actually limits the linguistic capabilities and elegance of English to favour information efficiency and speed, and it's not right for whoever decides these things to agree to allow it to enter the actual English Dictionary. It's shorthand for the 21st century, maybe it should be consolidated into some other separate but official dictionary, but that doesn't entitle it to a position where it could be used as an equal to other non-shorthand terms.

In short, keep shorthand with shorthand, and keep true grammar with true grammer. To hybridise would damage the function of both.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I don't see what's wrong with this...it's used commonly by English speaking people and kind of has a set definition so why can't it be an actual word? You know google is a verb right? The English language adapts a bunch of different languages or slang terms into it so really we should be considering those other words to be actual words.

LOL.jpg

Noob does not really matter to me, I hardly need to crack a dictionary open as it is. But if it becomes socially acceptable to use "u" instead of you I will flip my [cabbage]. I will flip it hard.

Then again I haven't really seen anyone use the word "u" among my friends and elders in a couple years, even in text messages and IM's.

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

The Global Language Monitor has stated the one millionth word will hit June 10th, 2009 at 10:22 am, British Summer Time.

Actually we only have 999,999 words in the English Language until that word gets added on that particular date.

How embarrassing, Lenin.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

The word noob has been said in the media? Wow.

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.