Stealing Creation Picks

Inferno Adze

Desert Robes

MouseKeys

Tips

Updates

Credits[/hide]

[hide=Introduction]

Several years ago, I joined Runescape. Almost immediately, I fell in love with the mining skill. It provided an outlet for me, where I could slam my pixelated pick axe into pixelated ores. The skill allowed me to just chill and lose my mind in the swirling abyss of Runescape.

Ever since I mined the fateful ore that got me to level 70, I have been working to provide accurate information to help miners such as myself. My most recent years have been dedicated to helping veteran and new miners alike, and bring many more people into the world that is mining. I've poured over 200 painstaking hours into the research of this guide, so that no information shall be inaccurate or biased.

I realize that in 10 years, my work will likely be completely obsolete and useless, but I am still dedicated to bringing whatever I can to my readers.

Without further ado, I present my guide on mining, at this point in time, it is currently focused on mining granite, but will eventually expand to a fully fledged mining guide. [/hide]

[hide=Rules for Successful Mining]

1. ALWAYS use the best equipment for the job, including familiars and boosts.

2. NEVER drop more than 3 ores at a time, except in the DIAGONAL method.

3. NEVER ever EVER use mousekeys.

4. NEVER use stealing creation pickaxes.

5. ALWAYS treat others the way you would wish to be treated; i.e. don't steal someone's spot.

6. ALWAYS have fun, this is easier if you are a masochist like myself.

7. ALWAYS put effort into your mining, but make sure you don't burn out.

8. NEVER believe that you can't achieve your goal, because you can.

9. ALWAYS set a reasonable goal, don't try to get 200m xp from level 1 or something.

10. NEVER get angry/frustrated if an update comes that makes your achievement meaningless, because you accomplished it and that can't be taken away.

11. NEVER break any Jagex rules regarding autoing/rwt/bug abuse/other thing.

[/hide]

[hide=Requirements]Required:

45 Mining

Water skins

Suggested:

70+ Mining

Water Tiara (Dealing With Scabaras)

Camulet (Enakhra's Lament)[/hide]

[hide=Where we will be mining]Today we will be mining at the desert quarry in the Kharidian Desert.

090624122831.png

090624114316.png[/hide]

[hide=Getting there]It is advised to get to the mines in a safe world, and then switch to a PVP world.

090605104217.jpg

Here are the ways to get there ranked from best to worst:

Light Blue: Camulet

Red: Shantay Pass to Bedabin Camp then walking to the mines.

Green: Pharaohs Scepter to the pyramid then walking, I wouldnt recommend bringing this into PVP.

Orange: House teleport then magic carpeting to Bedabin Camp, and then walking.

Purple: Fairy ring to Kalphite Lair, then walking. Seriously, dont.[/hide]

Methods

[hide=Mining Spots]Inside the mine there are several mining spots. I'll list the according to my preference, yours could be slightly different.

The 2 Two rock spots:

090624114200.png

090624114224s.png

These are my favorites.

Now for the drop-spin rocks, a lot of people swear by them, I think its too much work to be worth it.

090624114217.png

For these next few spots, you only need 2 rocks in a full world, but use 3 in an empty one.

090624114228.png

090624114209.png

090624114252b.png

Use the sandstone if you out mine the spawns of the granite.

This next one you can use any set of 2 ores in a full world, but in a low pop world work your way around.

090624114236.png[/hide]

[hide=Drop Spin]This method relies on the fact that when you move or spin while youre dropping you there is no penalty. Take it from me, this method is difficult to master and can be frustrating.

090605164913.png

This method will allow for 60k+ xp per hour. Used by the people that think they're pro.

[yt]bl4DMCk_7mQ[/yt]

Zarfot doing it.[/hide]

[hide=Mine 3, Drop 3]In this method you will mine 3 ores and drop them in a single fluid motion.

090605171231.png

My preferred method, nets around 40-60k xp per hour. Dont tell anyone but it is possible to get up to 70-80k xp in a single hour, without sc picks.[/hide]

[hide=Full inventory drop]Similar to the Mine 3, Drop 3 method, except you should wield your pick axe and not have any inventory spaces filled up by junk.

You can get around only 30-45k xp per hour using this method, so just use another.[/hide]

[hide=Banking]Equipment:

banking.jpg

Don't forget your beast of burden or desert wyrm (if you can only use a thorny snail).

Start out at any bank with the proper set up. Operate your Camulet and run to the mines (a bull ant or t-bird is useful here). Mine at your favorite location, only keeping the 5Kg rocks. When your inventory is full use your dueling ring to teleport to castle wars. Rinse and repeat. When you have enough granite, withdraw a chisel and 5 blocks of granite. Cut each of the five blocks into 2 2kg and 2 500g pieces, and then cut the first 2 2kg pieces into 4 500g pieces. Bank and repeat until you are out of 5kg blocks. Congrats, you are almost done! Now, withdraw 6 2kg pieces and cut them all, slave. Repeat until done. Sell your 500g blocks for semi-decent money.[/hide]

Refilling water skins

These are for those of you who don't have an enchanted water tiara.

[hide=Humidify]Simply bring runes for Humidify ( Lunar Magics, 68 magic and Dream Mentor done) and cast when your water is gone.

humidify.png[/hide]

[hide=Cacti]Bring a knife along and cut the cacti to the south east of the mines, hard to miss.

cactus.png[/hide]

[hide=Temple fountain]Sacrifice 3 water skins for 3 buckets. When your water is gone, run into Enakhra's temple, up a ladder and to the floor with the pedestal. Run to the west to find a fountain, use a bucket on the fountain, and then the bucket on your water skins. (method requires Enakhra's Lament quest)

refille.png[/hide]

[hide=Go to the bank and get more]Need I explain more?[/hide]

Recharging Your Camulet

For those of you that didn't wimp out over an easy quest, you have an amulet that needs to be recharged every four teleports.

[hide=How to recharge your Camulet (Pre- My Arm's Big Adventure)]Simple: Use Ugthanki Dung with your camulet.

I should probably show you how to get ugthanki dung, though.

Make sure your inventory has at least 400 coins per trip you wish to make, 26 buckets, and one free space. The free space will be filled with hot sauce, so if you already have it, bring it.

Go to Pollinivneach.

090610144600.png

Go to the kebab shop (circled in black)

090610144619.png

And talk to him and buy a bottle of hot sauce.

Go to the camel seller's house.

090610145111.png

And use your hot sauce with the food trough.

090610145126.png

The camels will leave you with a surprise, and pick it up.

090610145359.png

You should have to use your hot sauce with the trough twice to fill your inventory.

Run south to the magic carpet (not to the north) and fly to Nardah and bank.

090610144657.png[/hide]

[hide=How to Recharge Your Camulet (Post- My Arm's Big Adventure)]Coming Soon[/hide]

Mining Helpers

[hide=Enchanted Water Tiara]090624140311.png

After the completion of the quest Dealing with Scabaras you unlock the ability to craft an enchanted water tiara. This useful tool requires 50 rune crafting and the quest to make, so it has some decent requirements. Simply use 3 water runes per charge you want on the tiara. Each charge is equivalent to a sip of water. It can hold an infinite amount of water runes.[/hide]

[hide=Camulet]090624140318.png

The reward from completing the quest Enakhras Lament, it is worn around the neck and gives 4 teleports to a temple right next to the mine. When it runs out of charges use ugthanki dung with it.[/hide]

[hide=Varrock Armor 3]090619095759.png

This armor is obtained by completing level 3 of the Varrock achievement diary. It allows you to have a chance of getting 2 ores from any rock up to mithril, including granite and sandstone.

Pros:

Allows for slightly better xp per hour.

Fashionable.

Lightweight.

Cheap.

Works well with Zarfot's drop spin method.

Cons:

Can't wear a desert shirt.

Extra ore can throw you off.

Doesn't work well with the mine 3 drop 3 method.

Can be difficult to obtain.

Overall, it seems to be worth it. But the xp per hour you gain isn't worth training up all your stats to get, unlike the enchanted water tiara. If you have it, use it; if you don't, don't bother.[/hide]

[hide=Familiars]Several familiars boost your mining level.

Mining Boosters

The most basic one is the Desert Wyrm. Requiring only 18 summoning this little wyrm gives an invisible +1 boost.

090607180050.png

The Obsidian Golem is the next step up from the Wyrm. It provides you with a hefty +7 mining bonus at only 73 summoning.

golems.jpg

The big Kahuna, otherwise known as the Lava Titan, provides a whopping +10 mining bonus. Use these if you can, but few people have the 83 summoning required.

ltsummonedo.jpg

Beasts of Burden

Use these for banking granite.

The thorny snail is the lowest leveled beast of burden, it is fairly useless, but if you're banking this will be your best choice, although it likely won't be worth it, as it can only carry 3 items.

090607192355.png

The next highest is the spirit kalphite. These can hold 6 items, in my opinion enough to make it worth it if you have a high enough mining level where the wyrm won't do much.

090608090723.png

Now we start getting serious with the bull ant. It holds 9 items, so use it if you can.

antp.jpg

Ahh, the spirit terror bird, it holds a whopping 12 items and restores run energy. Again, use it if you can.

090607180045.png

The war tortoise, which holds 18 items, is beastly (pardon the pun). It will seriously boost your xp and money per hour.

23uqwcg.png

Pack yaks: YES. Requiring only 96 summoning, these beasts hold 30 items. To put that in comparison, your inventory holds 28, so its like taking 2 trips in the time of 1, but did I mention the 96 summoning requirement?

packyakfordudeguide.png

Most of these familiars I would recommend, even the Desert Wyrm. Ive noticed the effect of the +1 boost over a long period of time. The only times I wouldnt recommend them is in PVP and if you dont have a water tiara.[/hide]

[hide=Stealing Creation Picks]090624140323.png

Stealing Creation the Minigame was released back in 2008 and has since been popular for its rewards that double xp. One reward, costing 20 points, is the proto-tool. The proto-tool allows you to turn it into various tools, including a pickaxe. The pickaxes last for roughly 15-17k xp before they turn to dust. The time it takes to obtain makes these tools not worth it. Say you average 20 points per game, thats 60 points per hour, or 3 picks per hour. Every hour you gain anywhere from 45-51k xp in picks. Using Sc picks you can gain around 85k xp per hour. If you do the math you consume 5.66 picks per hour. It requires 2 hours to obtain 5.66 picks, so every 3 hours you can earn 85k xp. The xp per hour then is 85k/3, or 28.33k xp per hour, far less than without them.[/hide]

[hide=Inferno Adze]This is basically a rune pickaxe on steroids. It will smelt around 1/3 of the ores you mine into bars. While these do well for power mining iron, they have no effect on granite, as it cannot be smelted.[/hide]

[hide=Desert Robes]desertrobes.png

I did an experiment regarding the effects of desert robes. Here are the results for you to make your own decision on them.

With desert robes:

5 sips in 10:10 (2:02 average)once every 122 seconds

With elidness:

6 sips in 10 minutes (once every 100 seconds)

With base clothes:

7 sips in 10:30. Once every 90 seconds.

With armor:

12 sips in 10 minutes (the rate appeared to fluctuate.) once every 50 seconds

With desert robes (set 2, bought from Ali M.):

once every 2 minutes (same as desert robes)

With desert clothes (from Ali M.):

Once every 2 minutes

With Menap clothes (red):

one sip per 90 seconds

With Menap clothes (purple):

one sip per 90 seconds

Weight also plays no role in the desert effect. There is no point in wearing penance gloves or a spottier cape, unless you like how they look.[/hide]

[hide=MouseKeys]I feel like I have to put these in my guide, even though they are way over hyped. You won't ever drop twice as fast, unless you are extremely slow at dropping or using an inefficient method. Basically, it involves remapping your keyboard so that you hardly have to touch your mouse, supposedly making dropping quicker. If you do feel so inclined to use MouseKeys, remember, you are probably using an inefficient method, such as the whole inventory drop. More efficient methods, such as the mine 3 drop 3 and the drop spin method do worse when using MouseKeys.[/hide]

[hide=Tips]Click on the rock again if you mine slowly.

Reduce lag.

Play on full screen on the lowest resolution(800 X 600)

Listen to music or something else to ease the pain.

Don't play for too long, as this may cause severe wrist agony.

Relieve boredom by star hunting or mining rune every once in a while.

Try to use the best equipment available.

Don't wear slave clothes while mining *cough* Atom *cough* as they do absolutely nothing.

A lot of the reason why people get low xp per hour is because they don't pay much attention to dropping. It is just as important as the actual mining part, you could easily almost double your xp per hour with an extremely fast dropping speed.[/hide]

[hide=Updates]6/25: Added a bunch of pictures, added varrock armor section, added tips.

6/26: Added a tip, added MouseKeys section, added zarfot's video, added updates section, added table of contents.[/hide]

[hide=Credits]Jagex: Making the game

Pitac83: Reviewing my guide, obsidian golem pics, and varrock armor 3 pics.

Killerred005: Reviewing my guide

Mckinzy5: Spirit terror bird pics. And getting 77 mage?

Aslan(2noob4u):war tortoise pics.

Buttwhoopchi: Lava Titan Pics.

Sqx: Pack yak pics, thanks a bunch.[/hide]

Please post if my formatting is messed up, I may not have fixed it all.

Even thought you just beginning :P I see a awesome guide in the making already :D Nice Job!

Crybaby111.png

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;

Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

- Confucius

This guide looks great so far! The pictures describe what to do clearly, and I (who previously knew nothing about this) have a good sense of what to do.

This guide is great as well because you answer controversial questions such as whether or not the SC items are useful. All of the different aspects of mining in the Quarry are covered. Very thorough :thumbup:

I can't wait for it to be finished, I'll definitely use it on my journey to 99! :)

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Good guide!

Another way of getting camel dung is talking to the camel outside of Al-Kharid bank, ask him for some dung and he'll 'provide' some. ;) I find it easier as it's closer to a bank, the only downside is that (I'm 90% sure) the camels can only 'provide' some dung once, and then you have to go to another.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Good guide!

Another way of getting camel dung is talking to the camel outside of Al-Kharid bank, ask him for some dung and he'll 'provide' some. ;) I find it easier as it's closer to a bank, the only downside is that (I'm 90% sure) the camels can only 'provide' some dung once, and then you have to go to another.

I've tried that and it never seemed to work for me. I'll try it again soon and update it if it works. Thanks.

Tip for potential do 4 item method 3 items like rune pick rune plate rune legs 3rd item warrior ring/dragon boots that you prot on getting killed

The problem is that going into the desert in armor irks me. You consume water over twice as quickly, so you can't stay there as long. Plus, if you are below about level 90, you have a very little chance of being pked, as most pkers are levels 110+.

Due to a recent update, there is no longer a time penalty for dropping. You can drop an item and you will continue right on doing what you were doing. It might be useful to implement this into your guide, might change some mining strategies.

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

I have something to add for your special items, Varrock armor 3 from the Achievment Diary's sometimes alows you to mine 2 ore at a time, and you recieve xp for both.

vcz3sx.png

PSN: Skaterguy1224 Tactical Nukes - 22

^ was apparently a mistake (developers blog)

im 99.999% sure that adze doesnt smelt ores when mining

other than that not bad

Aah yep, I see, I was just looking at RSOF and saw that Developers Blog that explained how that was an accident and they removed. They may however end up adding that back in at later times, we will see.

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

Good guide!

Definitly the best way to get dung. Since you will be only needing a single one and you will hardly be teleporting.

What I am wondering about, is there a valid alternative to this? Perhaps compare it.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

You should realy mention that mousekeys work very fast while dropping them, theres a guide in AoW if you wanted a guide.

They are slower, don't listen to Wakka.

I have something to add for your special items, Varrock armor 3 from the Achievment Diary's sometimes alows you to mine 2 ore at a time, and you recieve xp for both.

I always find that mining 2 ores at a time throws me off ( I can't use varrock armor 3, so I only have experience with shooting stars), but I'll add it in.

Good guide!

Hate to double post, but I can't get that to work. I'm wearing a camulet, but I only ever get a weird dialogue. I think I remember someone saying that you can't do this anymore after you've done the feud, so anyone that hasn't done that quest is more than welcome to try.

Good guide!

Hate to double post, but I can't get that to work. I'm wearing a camulet, but I only ever get a weird dialogue. I think I remember someone saying that you can't do this anymore after you've done the feud, so anyone that hasn't done that quest is more than welcome to try.

I have the questcape and it works for me. So should work for you. Just wear the camulet.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

Good guide!

I have the questcape and it works for me. So should work for you. Just wear the camulet.

I must be missing something. Do you think it's because I already have ugthanki dung in my bank?

• 3 weeks later...

Good guide even though i hate mining :?

The images in " where we will be mining" are broken for me. (It may just be my rubbish internet though...)

-Edit- It was my internet, they're working fine

Inferno Adze

This is basically a rune pickaxe on steroids.

That phrase just cracked me up, nice way to make the guide less formal and more enjoyable to read. :D

Off topic: You finally got what i was on about with the qc frases. I didn't know if it was on rsof or tif...

Being muted sucks... :wall:

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide :thumbsup:, i'm defenatly going to use this when i going to loose my mind when i start mining lol

Off, is the general direction I wish you would [bleep].

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p549/hihi244442/TLoUGIF.gif

[hide=My perception of the Admins in Assistclan:]

000fjq.jpg[/hide]

[hide=Drops]

Slayer: Lots of Dragon Boots, 16 Whips, 24 Dark Bows, 7 Staves of Light, OVER 9000 Charms

GWD:

Bandos: Lost count

Zamorak: ^^^^^

Saradomin: ^^^^^^^^^^^

Armadyl: None[/hide]

Good guide :thumbup:

One thing about mining in PvP - noted items do NOT count towards risk while earning drop potential. Although the Items Lost on Death interface does recognize them, I'm positive that they don't (I remember reading this somewhere on the updates, don't remember where :-# )

d9f84e76d7.png

Good guide :thumbup:

One thing about mining in PvP - noted items do NOT count towards risk while earning drop potential. Although the Items Lost on Death interface does recognize them, I'm positive that they don't (I remember reading this somewhere on the updates, don't remember where :-# )

I added that in, but I'm working on another overhaul on that section. Every time Jagex updates pvp I have to completely change it.